What instrument is most challenging for a speaker to make sound real?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There are a number: the human voice is probably key because there are easy live references for that, also piano, vibes, violin, crash cymbals, massed brass.

The second question IMO is quite irrelevant; the answer is the system and its setup. The "best" speaker in the world connected to a system with weaknesses will be dramatically inferior to a properly tweaked junk speaker hooked up to a replay system which has been completely sorted out, as far as the ear is concerned. Yes, the latter will probably have frequency response deficiencies, etc, but from the point of view of the listening experience, there will be no comparison ...

Frank

I second the human voice mention here by Frank, it is when one is "catched" by a realistic reproduction of vocals when a systems gets full attention... At least this worked for me.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It makes sense that the piano would be difficult. It so easily overloads a room. The most difficult challenge is a symphony orchestra.
Planar speakers tend to handle pianos, percussion, voices,strings, trumpets and saxophones very well.

As the Basspig will tel you bass is remains the ultimate challenge.

I remember this graph Gregg, do you have at hand or memory what issue of TAS published it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do you mean this one?

Exactly. On some systems is will sound mechanical and disjunct, as if there is more than one piano. But play it in a good system and you just astonish yourself how just a pair of hands with five fingers can play such a piece! It is one of these few occasions I would like to have a DVD of the recording.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I remember this graph Gregg, do you have at hand or memory what issue of TAS published it?

i think I got it from a speaker manufacturer website. it definitely been circulated. been circulated

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In conversation with recording engineer Jim Merod (http://www.blueportjazz.com/), he said that the hardest instrument to accurately capture "live" was the vibraphone (vibes have metal bars instead of wooden bars and have a 'cleaner' sound). The piano was easy in comparison.

While we know the term 'xylophone' because of our kindergarten classes - the most often played instruments of this type that we hear on recordings are the marimba and the vibraphone.

For a good quality "Vibraphone" recording; people should give this one a listen (seriously):

Violins aren't easy either, so is Choral music with Choirs, Human voices, and like Roger said earlier, Organs with 64-foot pipes. ...Trumpets and saxophones. Even Flutes.

So, many musical instruments aren't that easy to reproduce by high res loudspeakers.
High Fidelity starts at the Microphone. Then of course the loudspeaker drivers.

Best loudspeakers to reproduce those? There are as many of them as there are musical instruments!
...You know what I mean... One loudspeaker is better at some functions, or reproducing a musical instrument(s) than another one, and others better at that, and so on... Not one specific loudspeaker best at everything. I think.

And that includes vocals, real life sound effects like real explosions, gun's shots, thunder, rain, trains, automobiles, etc.

*** By the way, a Piano is a big musical instrument with long strings and covers a wide range of the audio spectrum. And from the first hit of a note on the keyboard to the long sound decay, it is quite unique in its mechanism.

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
The Piano is my favorite musical instrument by far!

The loudspeaker is not a musical instrument! I'd rather have a real Piano in my room! :)

Hi Bob
Even real piano can sound different by room and by modification, my partner's grand Stienway had been change a set of strings inside, got a better sound, ready for next recording, also can compare with the recorded sound done in before
tony ma

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I totally agree with you Tony.

I play guitars myself and different brand of strings have their own sound signature!
Plus with an acoustic guitar, it'll sound different the way you aim it and at only few feet into that direction or that one.

A loudspeaker is a replica of a musical instrument in it's sound reproduction, so it has the same physical properties. ...In the aspect of sound propulsion; but not the timbre or tone from inside out.

I don't have personal experience with the best loudspeakers; only from what I've read.
The most expensive pair (with power amps included) only cost $2 million dollars!

* I tried to find a picture of the Canadian pianist Angela Hewitt besides a grand piano and a pair of magnificent looking horn loudspeakers but couldn't find it helas!

I did stumble bumble humble on loudspeakers from:
* Moon Audio
* Grande Utopia EM by JM Labs
* Acapella Triolon Excalibur
* Vox Olympian by Living Voice

And I think that the Moon Audio loudspeakers would do just fine for me. :)
But I'll have to listen to them first, of course! ...Before I lay down my hard earned cash! :D

Anyway it's all fun, and we do have sometimes opportunities because of connections. :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting thread. i always bring at least 1 piano recording with me to auditions, particularly having studied piano for 12 years. i'm terrible at playing, but i remember all the hours of the sound of a piano up close and in different environments. Also, by coincidence, i use a track from the John Williams Jurassic Park movie soundtrack...the one with the xylophone...because the range of the instrument that is used for about 8-12 seconds ranges from the metal (higher notes) down to the wooden blocks (mid range notes)...and on a resolving system you can hear more than the notes...you can tell when the player starts striking the wood blocks vs the metal bars...so by coincidence it appears i have stumbled across a track that (according to this august group of audiophiles) is a worthy auditioning track. thanks.

I would agree that the piano is quite difficult to capture, but being a jazz enthusiast, I think brass is very difficult to capture, especially its ripeness. But in general, I think so many instruments represent challenges to reproduce accurately that the question is quite difficult to answer.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I won't answer your second question because I will be biased.

Hahaha, good call Gary.

The reproductive effort of the human voice IMO can come very close to sounding real on a good system. Hearing your voice over a system will always sound off because you are (as an individual) hearing the vibrations within your head as your vocal chords are activated. In other words, you will never hear your voice accurately represented on any loud speaker.

My vote would be the Piano. John, I'd have to pay close attention to the xylophone. Interesting choice there. (Never thought about it, really)

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Piano is both crossovers and an amp. Sounds best with SETS, usually. Best I heard was the crossoverless Yamamura I would take this for solo piano, piano concertos
Tympani, bass drum, kick drum, the soft bass that joins in when the orchestral bass section joins in the concerto after a few notes from the soloist - On all these, Apogees rock.
Brass - You need both continuity through crossovers and a good midbass, full sound. Horns, Apogees, in more regular speakers, the Vivids do this very well. Mahler 7 and 3 are great tests. Apogees or a couple of horns is what I would want for Mahler 7 brass
Violin - most good speakers can do it, valves on stats usually sound best here, and the wrong cartridges can be big culprits here, totally rolling off the sound
Instruments in a tutti - this is where electronics matter more in showing differences in tonal colours of various instruments and putting them in their individual dimensions - this is where the Lampi shoots ahead of all the digital - bigly. ARC Ref 10 will team up with to create that big wide space to see each instrument.
But the amp needs to control the speaker well for the instrument note to flow through its ups and downs, otherwise it is a waste of a good speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing