What instrument is most challenging for a speaker to make sound real?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Is it the piano, the cello, the bass, or something else?

And what speaker, in your opinion, does the best job of making that instrument sound real?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

And what speaker, in your opinion, does the best job of making that instrument sound real?

1. the piano

2. your guess is as good as mine.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca

Since you asked, my Apogee Scintillas will bring any musical instrument to it's fullest expression. I would agree the piano is the most difficult, because you really need a seamless very low bass to high frequencies. The system hast to be able to read finger pressures to get the artistry of the player. Also, you need power to get the dynamics while at the same time keeping the micro dynamics lively.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Another reason to consider why the piano is so difficult, and it has to do with hybrid speakers like mine - woofer/stat - where most of the piano notes are coming from the panel, then all of a sudden they start coming from "down below", if you know what I mean, plus are different in pitch definition - ahem, no piano I know of sounds like this. Haven't tried the Summit X yet...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

The piano is by far the most difficult - that is why I use a piano scale and make sure that each note sounds subjectively the same throughout the range. It is incredibly difficult as ack pointed out to integrate drivers with different technology - dynamic cones vs electrostats vs ribbons. Even when you have dynamic cones of different materials - ceramic, metal, kevlar, paper, etc.

I won't answer your second question because I will be biased.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The piano by far,like everyone has mentioned. I also think brass instruments are hard to get that correct "brassy" sound,when they sound right it's really nice. The organ is one of my favorites also, to capture it faithfully is probably impossible in reproduction at home,but the power and majesty is awesome.

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010

Piano is difficult, but the hardest, in my experience, is the xylophone. Years ago, we used an anechoic xylophone recording in blind testing, which we could compare with the sound of the same xylophone played live. There wasn't a loudspeaker tested that could reproduce the sound of that xylophone without coloration.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Piano is difficult, but the hardest, in my experience, is the xylophone. Years ago, we used an anechoic xylophone recording in blind testing, which we could compare with the sound of the same xylophone played live. There wasn't a loudspeaker tested that could reproduce the sound of that xylophone without coloration.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Interesting. Have you considered publishing which speakers, in your opinion, came the closest?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The piano is by far the most difficult - that is why I use a piano scale and make sure that each note sounds subjectively the same throughout the range. It is incredibly difficult as ack pointed out to integrate drivers with different technology - dynamic cones vs electrostats vs ribbons. Even when you have dynamic cones of different materials - ceramic, metal, kevlar, paper, etc.

I won't answer your second question because I will be biased.

I agree with you the piano is difficult, but there is one big difficulty in using this instrument to assert systems - the sound taking techniques affect the recording very strongly and vary a lot. Sometimes this can be misleading. Also different pianos are not alike in character, and the sonority is affected by the player technique.

As I am not biased :rolleyes: I will say some of the best piano I heard was on a ESL63. If you want a good test CD try Stravinsky Petrushka played by Maurizio Pollini DG 447431-2.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
In conversation with recording engineer Jim Merod (http://www.blueportjazz.com/), he said that the hardest instrument to accurately capture "live" was the vibraphone (vibes have metal bars instead of wooden bars and have a 'cleaner' sound). The piano was easy in comparison.

While we know the term 'xylophone' because of our kindergarten classes - the most often played instruments of this type that we hear on recordings are the marimba and the vibraphone.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The more I think about it... the best piano representation I've heard came from a pair of Maggie MG20.1 speakers.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
In conversation with recording engineer Jim Merod (http://www.blueportjazz.com/), he said that the hardest instrument to accurately capture "live" was the vibraphone (vibes have metal bars instead of wooden bars and have a 'cleaner' sound). The piano was easy in comparison.

Ain't that the truth... I did a location recording at Meydenbauer Ctr. of Susan Pascal and Ben Thomas. That was a nightmare with levels and such.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I agree with you the piano is difficult, but there is one big difficulty in using this instrument to assert systems - the sound taking techniques affect the recording very strongly and vary a lot. Sometimes this can be misleading. Also different pianos are not alike in character, and the sonority is affected by the player technique.

I definitely agree. Even on the same piano with the same mikes, two players will sound different. I think that having heard performances live, and having heard the recordings of the performance, we know how far from the "truth" recordings can be. Nevertheless, the question was what instrument is most challenging for loudspeakers to make sound real - and in my view, it's the piano for several reasons:

1. A range of seven octaves - one of the widest of any instrument (the vibraphone has a 4-octave range)
  2. Transients that can be percussive or damped are hard to reproduce accurately (shows the technique of the pianist)
  3. Harmonics - one of the richest of all instruments (because of multiple strings per note as a coupled oscillator)

As I am not biased :rolleyes: I will say some of the best piano I heard was on a ESL63. If you want a good test CD try Stravinsky Petrushka played by Maurizio Pollini DG 447431-2.

Thanks, microstrip. Glad to see that you're still here! Do you mean this one?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The more I think about it... the best piano representation I've heard came from a pair of Maggie MG20.1 speakers.

With massive amounts of power, there is nothing like a pair of MG20.1's to reproduce the scale and majesty of a grand piano :) may be except for a pair of G2's or G1's.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
There are a number: the human voice is probably key because there are easy live references for that, also piano, vibes, violin, crash cymbals, massed brass.

The second question IMO is quite irrelevant; the answer is the system and its setup. The "best" speaker in the world connected to a system with weaknesses will be dramatically inferior to a properly tweaked junk speaker hooked up to a replay system which has been completely sorted out, as far as the ear is concerned. Yes, the latter will probably have frequency response deficiencies, etc, but from the point of view of the listening experience, there will be no comparison ...

Frank

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
1. I would say piano due to its combination of percussive strike and rich overtone series (it is not a purely harmonic series). The net sound spans a very large dynamically and frequency-wise with very complex waveshape. Vibes, I would not think they are as bad, but then again am not sure I have recorded them much (and always aasa part of a larger group).

2. Good impulse/square wave response is required, a characteristic of planars like 'stats and Maggies as well as some of the best conventional dynamic speakers. The whole "time alignment" deal came about partly because of that... B&W did a lot of work to provide proper time alignment, as did companies/folk like Dahlquist and DCM.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Pipe organ requires a god bit of dynamic range, and of course the biggest require extended frequency range deep into the bass, but lacks the hard percussive impact of piano and the mallet family.

As far as mic'ing goes, a trap set is about the toughest, as it often requires a number of mics of different types carefully placed to capture all the sound...

All imo - Don

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada

SET amp+ electric static speaker for strings instrument, add sub also good for piano
Metal horn (mid and high) good for brass and pipe or metal percussion and wood horn for wood percussion too
Big wood horn in low frequency is good for pipe organ and drums

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It makes sense that the piano would be difficult. It so easily overloads a room. The most difficult challenge is a symphony orchestra.
Planar speakers tend to handle pianos, percussion, voices,strings, trumpets and saxophones very well.

As the Basspig will tel you bass is remains the ultimate challenge.

Attachments

• fChart..jpg
    fChart..jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 174

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing