How Do You Brew Your Coffee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am spoiled as I use my automatic Jura-Capresso for individually brewed coffee. Prior to that I would use a coffee press which I also believe to be an excellent way to brew individual coffee. My least favorite is the every day percolators.

As for coffee preference I always go for the bold coffees.

What do all you coffee lovers use to brew your brew.

BTW in terms of how it is served, for me "black as midnight on a moonless night"

And the first to guess where that line was spoken without googling will know his stuff:cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still like the French Press. I gave up the perculators years ago. It just doesn't taste good to me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
French press.

ratmice

Feb 15, 2011
Even though this is an old thread, I have to put my vote in for the Aeropress. It makes a fantastic cup of coffee, especially using the inverted technique. I'm going to get an auto drip maker soon, two contenders are the Bunn Trifecta ($$$) and the Bonavita BV 1800. Anyone have any experience with these?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Either a FrenchPress, a Moka or a Capresso drip. Local roaster, I prefer his light roast varietals. Great citrus overtones lost with longer time in. Not that I don't enjoy a darker roast at times. He has a Celebes that's dynamite....beans look quite dark under normal light, but at the light, but by the roaster, hi intensity, they are just very dark brown and still have a fair amount of oil....a little longer and it would be too dry and the brew would be bitter, in his and IMHO.

http://www.kingdavidcoffee.com/

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i use a cuisinart drip machine exclusively (cheap) and a paper cone filter. home ground Peet's Garuda and Guatemala. i stay clear of bold (burnt?) beans that resemble licking an ashtray. ive spent considearble amount of time in many coffee growing regions of central and so. american and never tasted anything over there as bad as starbucks.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Peets ad copy:

"Garuda Blend is one of our first blends, created by Alfred Peet. This blend is crafted from superb coffees originating from Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. Each coffee has distinctly different flavor characteristics—the result of unique approaches to coffee production on the various islands in the archipelago. Some of the coffees are produced in the semi-washed or wet hulled method, providing full body and nutty, earthy flavors; other coffees are fully washed, bringing acidity and a more refined flavor to the blend—culminating in a big, satisfying cup. Garuda Blend is named for the great bird that carries the Hindu god Vishnu, guardian of the world.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's the Freiling coffee press we use:

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Fren...I8IO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330836584&sr=8-4

Excellent build quality and easy to clean.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The best coffee I've ever had was from a Brazilian classmate that threw his freshly ground beans in a pot of water on a stove and poured it through this thing that looked like a net ball hoop with a stocking. Beans were just Starbucks but I never had Starbucks coffee that was as silky and aromatic. You could actually see little oil globules on the surface. Probably not healthy but neither is Wagyu and Toro Sashimi. LOL.

Me, I'm lazy. I drink coffee out of necessity. While we do have a Seaco, the Nespresso gets far more use.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
the limits of nespre..

The best coffee I've ever had was from a Brazilian classmate that threw his freshly ground beans in a pot of water on a stove and poured it through this thing that looked like a net ball hoop with a stocking. Beans were just Starbucks but I never had Starbucks coffee that was as silky and aromatic. You could actually see little oil globules on the surface. Probably not healthy but neither is Wagyu and Toro Sashimi. LOL.

Me, I'm lazy. I drink coffee out of necessity. While we do have a Seaco, the Nespresso gets far more use.

While I do not rant against Nespresso, i would like to call for restraint: Nespresso is good for all those places where there is no indigenous coffee culture, like almost anywhere in the world, where the barrista cannot be bothered (in the best case) or the whole idea of coffee does not make sense (until a few years ago England)

As i posted some posts ago, I use a scala butterfly with its grinder beside, and initially was astonished how bad our coffee was, until i started to get a feeling for grinding, pressing and length and chain of temperature..
My favourite at the moment is the Tre forze http://kaffeezentrale.ch/d/shop/treforze.cfm

The reason for my posting is to say, however useful nespresso is for a coffeedrinker in a world of dishwaterproducers, it can hardly be called "the best"
..wasn't this the title of this forum?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, I didn't say it was best just convenient. Like my iPod. I said what was best in my experience. A guy who knew what he was doing and did it with nothing more than a grinder, pot, stove and what looked like a stocking.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:)

Tmij

Feb 22, 2012
I enjoy espressos! I roast my beans on a Gene Cafe, grind manually using an OE Pharos, then pull on vintage levers only.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing