Ampex 440C put the brakes on

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have a Ampex 440C that was built in the early 70's. At that time there was a race on to see who could rewind tape faster. I think the Ampex is too fast on rew & FF. I have a friend who has a recording studio with a 440C also and he mentioned he uses a variac to adjust the motor speed.

I got around to giving it a try and it works great. I use a 3PN1010 and leave it at 100 pct to work the relays. When it starts to rewind I cut it back to 50 pct voltage. I found that it brings the reel speed down to a very sane level.

With many old 2 track tapes,I never liked to rewind as the reel speed was much to fast. Now it's not a nail biting experience when I rewind my tapes.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Great advice Roger. Is this only for users of Ampex or ???

Hi Steve,

That's a good question. Maybe some of our more technical members can chime in. It seems to work fine on my Ampex,but as far as other RTR's especially those with opamps and computer cards it might not be a good option. A Studer or Technics probably would not work,but older decks that have discrete electronics should be fine,I would think.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Then that rules me out

It's your lucky day, Steve!

The Studer A810 is factory set at 10 m/s for FF or REW speed. You can lower it by pressing TRANS key (yellow LED would lit) then pressing FF or REW once for lowering the winding speed to 7m/s, or twice to reduce the speed down to 4 m/s, or press three times for 1 m/s the utimate library winding speed.

Other Studers like the A820, you can program the wind speed from the control panel or hit the Library Wind button to slow it way down.

Try it and let me know if it worked for you.

Ki

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
It's your lucky day, Steve!

The Studer A810 is factory set at 10 m/s for FF or REW speed. You can lower it by pressing TRANS key (yellow LED would lit) then pressing FF or REW once for lowering the winding speed to 7m/s, or twice to reduce the speed down to 4 m/s, or press three times for 1 m/s the utimate library winding speed.

Other Studers like the A820, you can program the wind speed from the control panel or hit the Library Wind button to slow it way down.

Try it and let me know if it worked for you.

Ki

Ki, That's excellant info! thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing