Have for personal use the following:

LP2 for TW Acoustic AC-3, L2 Reference pre, M1.2 Reference and M2.2 for VR-9s

LL2 Deluxe and ML1.1 driving Unifield 3s or Ambience Reference 1600s

I continue to dream of the LL1 Signature and the ML3 SIgnature

Here's a shot of me and Vladimir

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Jack

Disclaimer: I have a long time friendship with Vladimir and several years ago went from ARC Ref 600 Mk lll's to ML 2.1's and I was smitten. I have never heard music sound so good. Vladimir has asked me to help him showcase his equipment here in California and I became a "dealer of sorts" for Lamm gear. Truth be known I have sold one piece of equipment in 2 years but I do have the ML3 and LL1 in my system playing through a pair of Wilson X-2 series 2's. Needless to say I will never part with this amp and preamp. If you are ever in my neck of the woods please give me a call.

Vladimir is presently working on a Signature Phonostage that will pair with the LL1 and ML3 and possibly might be ready for CES. Vladimir will be again showing this year with X2 Series 2 with a tape input as well as vinyl. Basically my system

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We might just take you up on that pretty soon Steve :) My partner and I along with our wives and 6 other couples will be going to San Francisco, Tahoe and Vegas to celebrate our 40th birthdays as practically everyone in our gang is 1970 born. We'll be there first week of November.

Disclaimer too. Lamm was not available over here and we wanted it bad. Since we were having pretty good success with distributing Von Schweikert and a client who bought VR-9s wanted Lamm amps, we decided to apply for the distributorship and got it. This led us to carrying Critical Mass Systems too but that's another happy story.

We've been pretty successful with Lamm despite our small market. Successful enough that my partner and I were eventually able to get Lamm equipment for ourselves on top of the mandatory demo sets from the proceeds of our sales. Audio and maybe to a much lesser extent watches, art and automobiles being our only vices, we see no harm in getting high on our own supply. Food matches audio though hence our trip to finally get to The French Laundry and some other notable dining experiences there :lol: My partner has an LL2 and ML2.1 driving DB-99s. Like you, I can't say enough about how eminently pleasing the entire line is despite the lack of remote volume controls on the preamps. The best part is that we've been able to play with everything in the Lamm range (pre-Signature models) in myriad configurations. Having heard your ML3s for myself at CES in a system coincidentally almost identical to my own system from cartridge to amps with the exception of VR-9s instead of Maxx 2s, I long for the day I can call a pair or quad (what do you call 4 piece monoblocks anyway?) my own. If the day job continues to go well..............

Vladimir and Elina are great to work with. Straight forward, efficient, no fuss, no drama, and lightning quick response. Best of all, in the last 4 years no single piece we've sold or owned has ever needed any form of servicing other than the tube changes required yearly for the L2s and ML2.1s which frankly could have easily gone another year or two perhaps since at the time of changing there was still no noticeable sonic degradation. This in a tropical country with questionable bass load electricity, high heat and humidity where the bigger Premier CJs are known to blow regularly. Add reliability to the list of positive attributes.

So yes Steve, we'd love to see your place as I've read about it a lot. Hope to meet you this November!

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Jack

you and your guests would be most welcome in November. Keep in touch

BTW I have lived in California for 32 years and SF Bay area for the past 17 years and have never been able to get into French Laundry. I want to know who you know

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve some have considered Direct Heated Triodes the Holy Grail. Care to Comment?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Count me in. I have the L1 line stage, the M1.1 mono blocks, and the LP 2 de luxe.

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Count me too please. LL2 and ML2.1 user, driving DB-99SEs.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
I would imagine so Steve, I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a situation where I could hear them side by side in my room. The VAC's are no slouch and I could live out my days happily with them...I just feel like, based on my limited exposure, the Lamm Hybrid's may have better low end and overall attack, while the lushness of the midrange is what I am most curious about, with the top end being nearly a draw between the two. I'd sure like the time to a/b them for a period in my system to see if that is the case....

Steve Williams

Well I don't know prices of VAC gear and perhaps Arthur can help but here are MSRP of all Lamm amps

M1.2 Reference..........................$22,290

M2.2.........................................$21,690

ML2.1.......................................$29,990

Ml3 Signature............................$139,290

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a cool equation :)

4 x Lamm = Slamm

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Arthur they are the M1.2 References in front and M2.2s behind them. Currently I'm just using the M1.2s. I have a level imbalance that needs some work. When bi-amped bass lines are too pronounced. Sort of like being in a club so it's great for parties but not so great for intimate music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jack, Did you sort out your imbalance from the bi-amping? The reason i ask is because i own a Gryphon antileon (dual-mono)...i am aware they make an Antileon mono but do not know if you can just convert my dual-mono (ie, stereo version) to mono and bi-amp.

i have been told that by bi-amping you get way more power...sometimes 4x because in addition to doubling power with 2 stereo amps, the impedence that the amp sees is halved. At the same time, i have read comments that sound quality sometimes loses its refinement for some reason. Your thoughts/advice/experience on this are appreciated!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing