Usb-x

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It's my experience that the EMM CDSD is the only Meitner transport that outputs non encoded DSD data. The later CDSD SE version, with a much more reliable and still available Sony disk mechanism outputs encoded DSD, which is then decoded in the EMM DAC6 SE. The SE version of the transport can not input a Sonoma, or EMM DAC8. However it's pretty easy to tap and buffer decoded DSD in several universal players that play SACDs as DSD, and input that data along with, derived Word Clock, to any device that accepts SDIF.

We have used both the CDSD and CDSD-SE with our Sonoma and EMM DAC8 IV as well as the PB MPS-5. And yes, we have SDIF-3 converters as well.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
You're right! I found the problem with a call to EMM. In fact I have the SE version, which is simply a software upgrade from the original CDSD. It appears there was an non model number change, known internally as the SU, that changed virtually everything except the front panel, including having the Sony drive mechanism. Unrelated to the drive change, EMM also changed the DSD output data format from unencoded, to encoded, although Devon alluded to dip switches that could alter that. In any case, the non SU is not upgrade-able to the Sony drive version.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Hi all experts, I borrowed the USB-x from the distributor today and have the below problems to connect in into my pc:-

1. I download the USB driver from the official site and installed in into my PC
2. I plug the USB-x into the aux port of the Playback and turn on the Playback machine
3. I then press the Aux button in the remote and on response from the Playback and also no response on the PC as well.

I may think it is the firmware issue so I download the utility and install into the PC:-
1. Download the utility
2. Download the new firmware
3. Install the utility and till the page to ask me to turn on the Playback
4. I turn on the Playback and the PC shows a new hardware is found, however it ended with an unrecognized USB device and the utility is not connected to the Playback.
5. I could not find the Playback device from the utility so also unable to update the firmware.

Could all expects here pls share with me what I have done wrongly, many thanks in advance for your help.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Dear sir?

Tks for yr reply!

We are sure that the cable is properely connected because we could successfully connected the cable under PC mode and audio codec drivers could be properly installed.

However, we use the same cable and same connection to install the PDsetup utility and my PC cannot communicated with my MPS5 with error message unrecognized USB device. I may think of the below:

1 The PD setup program in the PD site is failure, could u send me the full program to alainchan8888@yahoo.com.hk

2 Should I need to switch the MPS5 to a specified mode for the PD setup installation.

Awaiting for yr advice again.

Tks so much

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
4. I turn on the Playback and the PC shows a new hardware is found, however it ended with an unrecognized USB device and the utility is not connected to the Playback.

To me this suggests the driver has not installed correctly, or even at all.
When this message appeared, did it ask for drivers?
If so you could try to point it to the USB-X drivers that came with the unit, or maybe downloaded.

Please appreciate I do not have the USB-X, so just going by my experiences with other devices on Windows.
BTW does the Windows OS matter for the driver?
Cheers
Orb

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks, actually the PDsetup utility comes with driver, the program installs the utility part and the driver part at one all. I could saw 2 folders were installed, one folder is PDsetup utility and one folder named Drivers. After the program installed, it then install the driver automatically. Then the installation pause and asked to plug the USB to connect the PC & the MPS5, my win7 PC detected a new hard drive but eventually could not recognized & it becomes an unidentified device. My PC also could not communicted to the MPS5.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
I also tried to update the unknown USB devices drivers by pointing the devices to the utility drivers folder, however could not find the .inf file inside. In the driver folder, I could see 2 sub folders, one named x86 & one named x64, I think the are for win32 & win64. We also tried 3 PC with 3 OS, win7 64, 32 & WinXP 32 but all fail.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
I would agree that the driver does not appear to have been installed correctly. One other thing to check -- are you sure you have connected USB-X to a high speed USB bus? If it is connected to a legacy USB 1.1 bus, it won't work. Also, when you run the software utility to update the firmware (we use Parallels on a Mac to run the utility), you have to power cycle the MPS-5/MPD-5. Then run the utility again to make sure the firmware has in fact been updated.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
I would agree that the driver does not appear to have been installed correctly. One other thing to check -- are you sure you have connected USB-X to a high speed USB bus? If it is connected to a legacy USB 1.1 bus, it won't work. Also, when you run the software utility to update the firmware (we use Parallels on a Mac to run the utility), you have to power cycle the MPS-5/MPD-5. Then run the utility again to make sure the firmware has in fact been updated.

Agreed it is the driver issue. USB 2.0 is equipped in the PC. Not sure what you mean Parallels & power cycle, tkx to revert.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Hi - Parallels is a virtualization software that allows Mac users to run Windows inside OS X. It is not relevant for you, since you are on a PC, but wanted to point this out so others know that this works quite well for Mac users. Regarding power cycling, I mean powering off the MPS-5 and then powering it back on. When we upgraded the firmware from v20 to v21, we had to run the utility twice. The first time, the utility indicated the MPS-5 had been updated. But for some reason it did not take. So we turned the MPS-5 off, waited a few seconds, turned it back on, and then ran the utility again. We then waited several minutes after the update utility had finished. Then we turned off the MPS-5, turned it back on and ran the utility again to see what firmware was installed. This time, it showed v21. And then everything worked perfectly.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Hi - Parallels is a virtualization software that allows Mac users to run Windows inside OS X. It is not relevant for you, since you are on a PC, but wanted to point this out so others know that this works quite well for Mac users. Regarding power cycling, I mean powering off the MPS-5 and then powering it back on. When we upgraded the firmware from v20 to v21, we had to run the utility twice. The first time, the utility indicated the MPS-5 had been updated. But for some reason it did not take. So we turned the MPS-5 off, waited a few seconds, turned it back on, and then ran the utility again. We then waited several minutes after the update utility had finished. Then we turned off the MPS-5, turned it back on and ran the utility again to see what firmware was installed. This time, it showed v21. And then everything worked perfectly.

Understood and thanks so much. Actually, I still could not communicate the PC to the MPS-5 and so the firmare is yet updated.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Which USB input are you using on the back of the MPS-5?

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Which USB input are you using on the back of the MPS-5?

sorry?can't understand. I connected a AB USB cable from PC to MPS-5, if I switch the MPS-5 to PC, an audio decode driver is automatically installed so I presumed the cable works fine. However, if I switch back to CD mode and install the PDsetup, when the utility prompt me to plug the USB cable, I did it and my PC finds a new hardware, however, the USB hardware eventually could not be recognized and the connection between the MPS-5 and PC fails.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for everybody's help, I now discovered there are 2 USB ports in the MPS-5, one for streaming and one for software, I must plug the wrong USB port, let me try tomorrow and let's everybody knows the result, really thanks for all your help and my appreciation.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Thanks for everybody's help, I now discovered there are 2 USB ports in the MPS-5, one for streaming and one for software, I must plug the wrong USB port, let me try tomorrow and let's everybody knows the result, really thanks for all your help and my appreciation.

I was just about to ask you about that. Yes, there are 2 USB ports on the MPS-5. You must use the USB port which indicates "Software", to update to the V21 firmware.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
I was just about to ask you about that. Yes, there are 2 USB ports on the MPS-5. You must use the USB port which indicates "Software", to update to the V21 firmware.

Ok good. The PC input is a legacy USB input for 44kHz and 48kHz audio streams. The Software input is the one to use for updating the firmware. Then once you have updated, you can use the USB-X connected to the Auxilliary input on the MPS-5. Good luck.

masteralain

Sep 24, 2011

Yes, you directly point into my problem & thanks very much. Let me try and update all of you the result.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing