Square Wave Response, Measured Acoustically

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Most of us know that trying to acoustically reproduce a square wave is an exercise in futility. I've tried it with decent headphones, by mounting a measurement mic in the earpiece and sealing it off, but the result didn't even resemble anything like a square wave. Doing it with multiway speakers and from across a room seems even more remote by several orders of magnitude.

The scope photo below was taken last night, in an effort to see what the square wave response of my system was like in the listener position, front row, about 8' from the speakers. My theater is pretty heavily treated to reduce reflections, which made this even possible. So here is what I got:

500Hz square wave&#.jpg

The upper trace is the 500Hz square wave signal feeding my preamp, which was generated by my MOTU 896 and fed through a Behringer MX9000 mixing desk, then through a 25' ProCo mic cable to the input of my Carver C4000. I had to use the MOTU, because none of my CD/DVD players could produce a decent square wave.

The lower trace is what my Behringer ECM8000 microphone (omni directional) picked up. The interesting thing I noted, was that, even being several feet away, even slight body movements I made affected the waveform shape significantly on the lower trace! This concept would be a good security/motion detection method.

It might be interesting to try this with a cardioid mic sometime and see if I can eliminate the back reflections from the rear of the room (not treated, LEDE room), but this was a very interesting experiment.

To the neophyte, this might look really bad, but once you start measuring various sources, such as headphones, various speakers in various rooms, it becomes apparent that achieving anything that looks even vaguely like a square wave is almost impossible. My room is pretty heavily-treated at the front end, and hence the room is pretty flat and free of comb filtering. Thus the results shown in the scope photo.

Hi Mark
While it would be a sign of a big problem in electronics, not being able to reproduce the input waveshape of a complex signal (like a square wave) is not an expectation with home loudspeakers, particularly if they have more than one driver in play.

Also, like many subjects there are at least two ways to look at it. For example, the person who lives in theory will say to produce a sq wave requires a bandwidth DC to light and if one considers the math, that is how it looks.
A person who works with electronics will also suggest that on an oscilloscope, that one can get a “perfect” looking square wave with bandwidth extending from 1/10 to 10X the center frequency.
Like looking for an asymptote point, there is the practical and theoretical requirement.

Why is this “hard’ for a loudspeaker?
In the late 70’s Dick Heyser wrote a number of papers, the first to identify a loudspeakers acoustic phase. He suggested that one can consider a loudspeaker’s acoustic phase as something like it’s origin (in time) moving forward and back with frequency. He also developed the first way to measure acoustic phase the TDS or TEF machine.

To preserve / reproduce a square wave (by eye) one needs a large space above and below where the amplitude and time do not change, all the important harmonics have to emerge at the same time.
Loudspeakers on the other hand spread signals out in time, they have an all pass response, when you go to a multi-way system that spread in time from high to low is generally greater still.
It is asserted that this kind of time error can’t be heard (with headphones) and so it is ignored.

In 1980, the company I worked for got a TDS machine and B&K mic for me to use. Being a loudspeaker fan and having just started developing the Servodrive woofers I measured everything I could even non-loudspeaker stuff. Eventually I was presenting the goofey stuff at TDS seminars and was then asked to measure the Great Pyramid in Egypt (if curious here is a story about that)

http://www.livesoundint.com/archives/2000/julyaug/pyramid/pyramid.php

I had been collecting horns and drivers for some years with the thought that someday I would build a large horn system for my home as they would have the peak capacity none of my home built electrostatics had. . The inspiration was the jbl375 and big len’s I had accumulated. These, by measure were essentially “perfect” through the mid band, the problem was I could not see any way to make them part of a system because of the spacing between them and what they mated to.

Working on acoustic levitation sources, it was clear to me there was a fundamental difference between how sources acted when they were less than a quarter wavelength apart and more than that. Closer, the sources added coherently into one source, much greater and the sources do not add coherently and produce an interference pattern.
At wavelength differences, reversing the drive to one source causes NO change in radiated power, only the shape of the interference pattern changes so at best most crossovers are concerned with the on axis lobe only.
I did not see any way to add the ranges in a multi-way that they did not interfere acoustically and over the years I had a good stock of parts but no solution..
So far as a square wave, there had been only three loudspeakers that I knew of first hand that could reproduce a square wave unilaterally. By that I mean that usually one can find a combination of frequency and mic position where one see’s a square wave but if you change anything, it is lost.. This is especially true in multiway systems where the change in paths with position are measurable physically and acoustically.
In your test, unless you had highly directional speakers, one would have a lot of room arriving at the LP.

If one were close enough for the direct to swamp the reflected sound, or outdoors then one could more reliably see what the speaker really does.

The commercial speakers were an 8 inch full range JBL driver above the lower mid, up to a few Khz, the ESL-63’s I repaired for my boss and the most recent a Manger bending wave transducer above a few hundred up to several KHz.
These speakers were much less sensitive to the physical position of the microphone so far as the square wave shape. The ONE thing they had in common was they radiate as a simple spherical segment over a wide range, they measured as having one location in time over that same band.
If you moved the mic, you do not change a significant change in wave shape with position because they radiate as if they were a single point, over a wide band.

Anyway, I had come back from Egypt and a friend teased me about being in the pyramid and the point was “what are you going to use a pyramid to make the drivers sharper” haha big fun.
Being faced with needing a design for a full range loudspeaker for commercial sound, I thought back to an old Synaudcon lecture where Don talked about the up side (constant directivity) and down side (inferior loading at lower frequencies) of conical horns. Funny, being deep into subwoofers and prevented by edict from working on “normal” speakers at Intersonics at the time, I thought, paahhhh, this doesn’t apply to me.
Flash forward, the Shuttle stuff ended, starting a new business on my own constant directivity would be VERY desirable especially for commercial sound, the light went on, I thought the difference in loading might be related to the local expansion rate. A quick calculation suggested this was the case. I made a simple pyramidal horn and mounted some drivers on the side where the expansion rate looked right for mid range. After a number of experiments to get a feel for how the speakers coupled together, the very first Unity horns were born. About 12 years later is the present, the Synergy horns have evolved into what Dick Heyser had suggested was possible when I was a sophomore in High School.

Here in a post from some years ago is an SH-50 at a meter in a living room, a square wave at 250, 1K and 2.5KHz, square wave in, mic sig on scope. These also radiate as a single source, the sources sum coherently and do not produce an interference pattern (lobes and nulls).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/71824-making-square-waves-2.html

The driving need for our business was to make all the sources combine acoustically in a coherent way is so that one can radiate as if it were one source with a much larger acoustic power. When you do that, the sound spectrum is not only constant with left or right position but in depth as well (sans hf absorption at large distances) because one has satisfied the distances needed to add coherently into a single spherical segment of radiation over a wide band.
If you do not have constant directivity, then the spectral balance changes strongly with location (think line array outdoors) and inhomogeneous radiation causes the sound to change moving side to side or when the wind blows as well.

Hey, you like big sound, I have not done the square wave test with these, but they should reproduce one over an even broader band.
Two will do a 40,000 seat stadium nicely, four in a large stadium like the second link. With headphones, you can get sort of an idea what it sounds like to have one uniform source though. They went back and measured later, they were 700 feet at the far point.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Danley-Sound-Labs-Inc/126113687424773?ref=ts

Big stereo, I kept thinking, they really need to show movies here.

http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingr...ty-to-brigham-young-university-football-fans/
Best,
Tom Danley

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Lee, about 85dB.. it was quite uncomfortable to listen to that continuously for a minute or so it took to get the scope calibrated, synched and get the digital camera to focus and take the picture.

Tom, that was a fascinating read, but could you post the scope photos here? I could not see them as the forum required login and I don't have an account there. My room is actually pretty dead at the front end, and even at the front row of seating, I'd guess that reflections are pretty far below direct radiation. I was surprised that I got anything that even remotely resembled a square wave, since I failed to achieve it with the mic buried into the earcup of a decent pair of headphones last year when I tried the experiment on a small scale, thinking that a single point source would give me good results.
Of course, an anechoic chamber would be the best way to measure speaker performance. Placing a mic 8' away in an indoor venue adds a nearly infinite array of secondary reflections and even small amounts affect the waveshape radically.

Ethan, it occured to me later that I might have gotten even better results if I'd used a cardioid mic instead of the omni, which, obviously, picked up the live end reflections in the room. It took me an hour to find a decent square wave source, pipe it through the mixer and figure out how to get the mic pre out of another mixer channel to my scope input. I had mic cables running all over the studio for that! I found out just how crappy the antialiasing filter on my Oppo BDP93 is when I starting playing with the square wave test CD that I'd made in 2004. I was shocked at just how hard it was to find a source of a clean square wave to start with!

Last edited:
Hi Mark
“Tom, that was a fascinating read, but could you post the scope photos here? I could not see them as the forum required login and I don't have an account there.”

Sure, or at least I will try to attach them. I took them on third octave centers but will only post a few.

“My room is actually pretty dead at the front end, and even at the front row of seating, I'd guess that reflections are pretty far below direct radiation.”
Cool that makes a big difference, close reflections are bad.
“Of course, an anechoic chamber would be the best way to measure speaker performance. Placing a mic 8' away in an indoor venue adds a nearly infinite array of secondary reflections and even small amounts affect the waveshape radically.”
Yeah, outdoors (weather and circumstances permitting) is as close as you can come to “the speaker by itself”. Ones best hope is to have close up absorption and or significant directivity, the farther away the reflections occur from the speaker, generally the lower in SPL they are relative to the direct.
Best,
Tom

Attachments

• 2.5Khz sq..jpg
    2.5Khz sq..jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 994
  • 250Hz sq..jpg
    250Hz sq..jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 999
  • 1Khz sq..jpg
    1Khz sq..jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,021

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Ethan, I do have SoundForge, and I made a CD in 2004 with square waves on it at 500Hz for testing AM radio transmitter audio processor tilt adjustments for modulator compensation adjustments. It has a perfect square wave. The problem is the analog output from most DVD players today barely resembles a square wave! Imagine a sinewave superimposed on top of the square wave, starting out at 15% of the main squarewave amplitude and decaying to almost zero amplitude in one period of the waveform. That's what I get from my Oppo player, so I realized that would skew the results. It was challenge enough to get my mixing desk to keep the wave flat. It rolls off and the wave tilts, so I had to compensate in the board while looking at the top trace until it was as flat as possible, using the board's EQ controls. The MX9000 desk is definately not flat to DC! Now if I could hook my MOTU 896 directly to the input of the DCX 2496 that drives my front mains, I'd have a good reference square wave to start with.

Lee, 85dB is not even idling level for this system. I chose it because of the late hour and the fact that it was quite uncomfortable even at that level, given the rich harmonic content of such a waveform. In fact, at the point where the power amplifiers first begin to register 'signal present', the SPL at the listener position is 129dB. There's only a handful of watts being used at that threshold. The system will play effortlessly at levels normally found inside IASCA competition car audio 'dB drag' competitions.

Tom, thanks for reposting the image. At least I have some idea of what you were talking about in the other post now. I assume the frequencies are the readouts below. An outdoor test would be the closest 'poor man's' way to achieve a near-anechoic test setup, but would be quick to annoy anyone in the general viscinity, not to mention the inconvenience of moving what is pretty much a fixed installation outdoors. As time permits, I'll try some more tests with various microphones at various frequencies.

I've been under the impression, for a number of years, that the better the squarewave reproduction, the more accurate the sound reproduction. With good room treatments, so that you hear mainly the speakers and not the room, it should be possible to recreate the concert hall experience with palpable accuracy. (I think Ethan would agree with that, given his experiences with the Bridgeport Symphony recordings that I made and played back for various members of the orchestra and my crew last year.)

I should note that all these measurements were through the Center Stage XD acoustically-transparent movie screen that is in front of my speakers. That says something for the Seymour AV screen material too.

Hi Mark
“I've been under the impression, for a number of years, that the better the squarewave reproduction, the more accurate the sound reproduction. With good room treatments, so that you hear mainly the speakers and not the room, it should be possible to recreate the concert hall experience with palpable accuracy.”
Well to do what you did requires more than one thing to be right. Every link in the chain has to preserve that signal shape, the biggest errors at the last two steps..

The signal makes a good visual because it is a repetitive signal with a simple geometric shape and is comprised of a fundamental and many harmonics.
If the amount of OR phase of any of them are perturbed relative to the original, what comes out doesn’t look like a square wave.

So, first your speakers have to have flat response pretty far above and below the fundamental F.
Next it also means the various harmonics are arriving at the right time. Below the hf, most speaker begin to spread out in time and cannot preserve the input waveshape like that.

Since you measured that at the LP, (assuming it isn’t a spatial coincidence and gone 6 inches away), you would have a low level of reflected sound. You mentioned an LEDE room, I suspect you have loudspeakers which have significant directivity as well.
You mention you have tons of headroom, I would reply (in my best C. Montgomery Burns voice) EXCELENT!
So far as a speakers stereo image in a room, being “in time” over a broad band and directivity /low levels of reflected sound are both very good things .
Best,
Tom

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Yes, the square wave, due to the precise balance of harmonics, coupled with phase integrity, makes an excellent system test. I used them a lot not only to set up AM broadcast modulators, but also back in the early 80s when I was designing low pass brick wall filters for FM stereo generators, which had to be flat to 15.7KHz and drop to -80dB @ 19KHz. Ripple in the passband and the many phase anomolies that occured near the filter cutoff produced some interesting effects on square waves. But if you could get a good square wave out of an FM multiplex generator, you could get a couple extra dBs of loudness over the air without exceeding 100% modulation, because the overshoot would be minimized by however much the ringing was reduced through filter design efforts.

I worked tirelessly to produce cabinet designs that would enable as near a flat response as possible. I ended up with a 10-sided interior space with no parallel surfaces, thus no ring modes that would produce dominant resonances. And on the LF extention end of things, my reputation preceeds me. :) With the advent of digital loudspeaker management, I was able to time align all the drivers and cabinets in the array, which I'm sure helps quite a bit.

The room is quite dead up front. About 20' back is the live wall/ceiling/floor. Given the use of an omni mic, some of this reflected sound entered into the measurement. The fact that any small movement I made, standing 12' back over by the 'scope had such an effect on the wave shape, confirmed that objects behind the listener position were indeed influencing the amplitude of harmonic content. I do want to experiment with using cardiod mics in a future test setup, to eliminate as much of the back wall reflections as possible. But the front end is dead. I have treatments on the ceiling, carpet on the floor and several bales of 10" fiberglass batts stuffed in the space between speakers and above speakers as well as against the wall space behind the screen. It's pretty dead. You can feel it when you walk in the room. You hear your blood circulating in your head when standing in front of the screen!

I knew I had to have good directional characteristics when Bob Carver advised on loudspeaker design to best take advantage of the Sonic Hologram Generator. Phase coherency makes the feature much more effective. I've been told that I have the best Sonic Hologram performance of any system that had a Carver C4000 connected and set up. He was a hi-fi systems installer and they could not achieve this good an image in the store showroom with any of the speakers they tried. I get a very natural, un exaggerated soundstage with properly recorded Classical concerts. With electronic music, the image spreads so wide and sometimes appears inside my head and in rare cases, behind me. I knew a lady years ago who had B&W loudspeakers and a decent hi-fi setup, but when she wanted to hear a new CD, she'd call me up and bring it over here to hear on my system. And it's gotten a lot better since I put in the movie screen (and hence decided to take care of the acoustics during the major renovation).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing