Finally live recording with modified tube and silver transformer of Studer A80

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Last Saturday, we had a piano solo concert, Beethoven sonata#32, Debussy images book 1, Chopin sonata#2, piano is Stienway grand. audience around 40
first time to use this modified record amp for Studer, I built the first one with tube 7119 and copper transformer, after tested and listened, make sure the design is OK, and compared with the stock of A80 in copy tapes,then switch tubes to 6900 ($260) and silver transformer ($700) too
after concert, I repro the master tape in a all tubes 3 amps 3 way Quad ESL 63 system, Ron who is recording engineer and classical music producer of CBC radio of CANADA, commented " like a real piano playing in behind the speakers".
words from the pianist of the concert, first listening feel a little over react sound like ( his sitting position is different to the mic and he is not a audiophile guy only listen to the real sound of piano), that is true a repro sound form speaker can't be same as the original no matter how good the recording is, even two pianos will sound different in the same hall too, that means the repro sound can be reconsidered as another piano's sound, but he also said longer he listen to it he started to like it, this mean no matter how many distortion and color added to the repro sound end up depend on the listener's favor
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 845
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 670
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 566

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Tony,
Very,very nice. I wish I had your ability. I have a A820 Studer, I haven't decided which way to go on the electronics. Your first person I will contact though.

Roger

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hey Tony!

That is SOOO cool:p
Like RogerD, I run an A820, too...
I'd like to record on-location...Studer is a little large - LOL
Looks like I'll keep looking for a Nagra.

Good job, Tony...keep it up :D

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hello Roger and Sam
Tube sound with Studer's transport in original, only C37 does (1/4 tape), sound supper because it's tubes used, ECC188 top version of 6DJ8 (6922), also same with ECC183 = 12AX7, NOS of those tubes will cost over $200/pcs vs the regular one only $30 or less, my friend Roger ( long time serviceman of Studer Canada, He is working along by his own after Studer pull out from North America ) told me, if I go for C37 has to make sure the working condition, if not, that will charge too much money for the parts, and the bias of tape at their age is not same as now is quite differcult to adjust the frequency respond with to-day's tape, so he suggested to build a tube amp play with A80's transport or what ever laterest machenic will be better than C37 but depend on the amp's quality, so you guys can add a repro tube pre-amp (buy or diy) for your A820 direct from repro head or with a selector switch that you can compare to the stock. if go for recording, depend from what kind of souce, for live with high quality mic or dud from high quality tape or master tape then is worth to modify, if only from digital souce or from vinyl, I think the origin amp is quite good enough. my next project for A80 is a all tube and all transformer coupling with passive filter EQ and no feedback, with differculty of balance will be emotional vs noise
cheers
tony ma

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the informative reply! I wish I didn't live so far away...

Best,

Sam

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing