Ok, so what is it about watches?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I understand the desire to have high end audio. The best systems succeed at conveying human emotion and touch your soul.

I understand cars. The best cars give you sportiness and luxury as you drive. They have beautiful styling. They give you freedom to go just about anywhere and anytime.

I understand expensive clothes. A Brioni suit fits you like a glove. It projects the man as someone who has succeeded in his business or life endeavor. The suit's cut, with broad shoulders and slim waist, communicates mastery of over one's body. The fabrics feel and look gorgeous also. Both men and women know that the man wearing this deserves respect.

But what is it about fine watches????

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A fine watch IMO is a great investment.

Further in every high end watch store in the islands I recently visited and there was an occasional Hublot I could always overhear the young women commenting that if a man is wearing a Hublot then you've caught their attention. :)

The precision movement is also something of horolgy with respect to the watch's accuracy

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While material possessions are IME overrated compared to life experiences, in my perspective, they're all really just "pat yourself on the back buddy, treat yourself to something nice" things.

I only started buying watches when my son was born. Prior to that I just wasn't too in to 'em. They are things you can pass on and if cared for will be just as good 100 years or more from now. I inherited a Patek from my late grandfather that is now 58 years old. The history is more important than the watch itself. They can be the male equivalent of "My grandmother's wedding ring" and they often are.

I don't see my stereo or my car(s) holding anywhere that kind of value. My grand dad's 1962 W111 280SE is still in the family though but not headed down my line. It's the closest thing to it. I'm happy with the watch :)

Reactions: Alrainbow

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The only thing that would make those Old Spice Commercials any better is to have the guy wearing an elegant watch.

BTW,look at all advertisements for high end watches and you will see the faces of many of the world's best athletes and "young" male athletes I might ad. They are marketing it to us guys as a sign of pride and distinction, with some more expensive than some cars and houses...sort of like this hobby ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I will simply add that I have had this love for beautiful pieces awhile ago when I was presented on my 10th birthday with an Oris watch ... Frankly I believe it is a simple act of vanity .. That is what jewelry is all about and there is nothing inherently wrong with that ...

All the rest about watches is marketing ... that it be worn by famous people is that too and the "complication" ..Pluzzzze!! Not much really.. And accuracy? Nothing the cheapest Casio quartz watch would not surpass ... even if you take its battery out :)
For the record I owned and still own quite a few watches myself. I like Breitling for every day use, I lust after a Patek Philippe and would not mind an old Hublot (the new ones are too much gold and rubber ...) .. the latest is a Steel Glashutte PanoReserve an achingly beautiful watch which I may keep (I am "evaluating" it :) ...)

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Steve

On that the best known and likely most famous brand of Luxury Watches: Rolex has few if any "complications" ... I sincerely understand the desire to find a justification to such a purchase but truly they are only jewelry and it is a mystique ..There is NO objective criteria for complication .. and on the surface of it .. Have we ever wondered how truly complicated everyday objects are .. A Car for example or an smartPhone or to bring something closer to our heart .. a DAC ? and since I am in a great mood today, a Turntable ?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think you are getting horology and Hoe-ology mixed up. One is about keeping time, the other about making time.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Horrorlogy is when you arrive late because your watch stopped. It is also related to watch and audio prices I've been told.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Seriously, I hate jewelery. I only wear a wedding ring because my wife says I have to. I only wear a watch because I like to know what time it is. You would never catch me wearing necklaces or earings. You wouldn't catch me adorned with a man-purse either. For me, I like understated elegance in a watch. I have a Seiko which looks like a Movado. I tend to like thin watches. I would never own a Rolex because it is way too gaudy and blingy for my tastes. I have nothing against nice watches and wouldn't mind owning a few that met my requirements if I had more money laying around to spend on other things besides audio gear and music. I really do like my Seiko that looks like a Movado. I guess that makes me a Movado kind of guy.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I wear no jewlery at all except my watch. I'm not a true collector. I'm more of an accumulator. I love complications because I find them useful. All of my watches are chronographs at the minimum. I also admire the engineering, workmanship, and beauty that goes into a fine watch. I have one straight mechanical (Omega Speedmaster Pro Moon watch), two self winding Breitlings (Blackbird and a Super Ocean which has day/date), and two digital Brightlings (Aerospace and B1) and, finally, an Omega X-33. All of these watches would be called tool watches which I think is correct. The only ones that might be considered collectable is the Moon watch and the X-33. Maybe someday, after I'm dead, the B1. The B1 and the Aerospace have temperature compensated digital movements. The X-33 does not but it is nearly as accurate as the B1. The Aerospace and the X-33 have Titanium cases and bands. I really like Titanium. It's very comfortable.

These are all good watches but not nearly in the price range of the most upscale out there. I like them because I like them. Pretty simple. As I type, I'm wearing my beloved Moon watch. Ummm, looks good!! It might be my favorite. But then again , this is only Thursday. Who knows which will be my favorite on Friday!

Sparky

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I am very hard on watches. They always get scratched, bands break, etc.
So, I buy cheap watches, at the Timex Outlet store. Not exactly a TAG, Hublot, or Rolex, but when I look at the time, it's right. Takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin.
I lost one once on a camping trip, and a year later I went back to where I thought it could have come off, and found it still there, still running! We had a pretty bad winter that year, so I know at one point it was probably under about 40 inches of snow and ice.
The best watch I own is one of the more expensive Citizens. It's my special occasion watch.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I understand the desire to have high end audio. The best systems succeed at conveying human emotion and touch your soul.

I understand cars. The best cars give you sportiness and luxury as you drive. They have beautiful styling. They give you freedom to go just about anywhere and anytime.

I understand expensive clothes. A Brioni suit fits you like a glove. It projects the man as someone who has succeeded in his business or life endeavor. The suit's cut, with broad shoulders and slim waist, communicates mastery of over one's body. The fabrics feel and look gorgeous also. Both men and women know that the man wearing this deserves respect.

Caesar,

As a watch enthusiast, I have no problem in saying that the reason why I like prestigious watches is desire of possession. I wouldn't call it pride, because the fine watches that are liked by watch enthusiast are not easily recognizable and known. People know the most commercial ones (such as Rolex) and the ones that are claimed to be prestigious (such as Bulgari or Cartier), but most of the people don't know what the brands Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin are...
So, buying a fine watch is something that you do for yourself: knowing that you don't simply own a piece of jewellery, but a piece of history and tradition. Research and precision are not important issues, as, in agreement with someone said here, the cheapest Casio is more accurate that a Patek with tourbillon. But I wouldn't deny that this stuff is some of the most amazing mechanic complication available: even the simplest mechanical watch is way more complicated than a turntable!

Anyway, I don't want to convince you that fine watch market makes sense. As I am the "watch expert" of my group of friends, many of them asked me advice for purchases. The usual starting question is: "I'd like to buy a fine watch: which is the best one I could buy with $XXXX?". I usually reply "let's go to a shop and look at some watches, without thinking to your budget: look at them, touch them, wear them. If you have some special feelings, you'll probably think to a higher budget, if you don't feel anything special, don't even buy a cheap one".

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
HI All,
I wear no jewlery at all except my watch. I'm not a true collector. I'm more of an accumulator. I love complications because I find them useful. All of my watches are chronographs at the minimum. I also admire the engineering, workmanship, and beauty that goes into a fine watch. I have one straight mechanical (Omega Speedmaster Pro Moon watch), two self winding Breitlings (Blackbird and a Super Ocean which has day/date), and two digital Brightlings (Aerospace and B1) and, finally, an Omega X-33. All of these watches would be called tool watches which I think is correct. The only ones that might be considered collectable is the Moon watch and the X-33. Maybe someday, after I'm dead, the B1. The B1 and the Aerospace have temperature compensated digital movements. The X-33 does not but it is nearly as accurate as the B1. The Aerospace and the X-33 have Titanium cases and bands. I really like Titanium. It's very comfortable.

These are all good watches but not nearly in the price range of the most upscale out there. I like them because I like them. Pretty simple. As I type, I'm wearing my beloved Moon watch. Ummm, looks good!! It might be my favorite. But then again , this is only Thursday. Who knows which will be my favorite on Friday!

Sparky

I like your choice of watches ...

Mr.Poindexter

Aug 1, 2010
Watches are just cool. I don't think it takes much explanation as to why somebody would enjoy looking at this on thier wrist:

DS-21

Aug 23, 2010
I understand expensive clothes. A Brioni suit fits you like a glove.

Actually, no it doesn't. Nor is it designed to. Let's leave aside issues of bespoke vs. off-the-peg, though as an aside Brioni doesn't do bespoke, only off-the-peg and MTM. A Brioni suit, even one properly fitted, is designed to be more of a very elegant suit of armor. The Italian version of a suit from H. Huntsman & Co, albeit not as well made and obviously off-the-peg rather than bespoke. (Brioni is at least cheaper.) The wearer is aware of it from the hard shoulders through the waist and seat, at least.

(Yes, there are exceptions in the Brioni line. I happen to be wearing one right now, an unlined, natural shoulder summer cashmere-and-slik unconstructed sportcoat with patch pockets from their "Brioni Sport" line. But such things aren't "real Brioni.")

If you want something that's designed to "fit like a glove," and again assuming off-the-peg rather than bespoke, look to one of the Neapolitan houses, such as Isaia.

Women like them. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing