* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Twenty-five days and it's Christmas. Black Friday is gone, the Nightmare before Christmas (Halloween) is gone, Cyber Monday (today) is gone, now we're slowly getting ready for that tree, the Christmas tree, and with it all what it truly means. ...The place where you put the gifts under, the decorations, the lights and the fake snow and the angels sing.
You can put the nativity there too, with Marie, Joseph, the three mouseketeers, and the star above and the little baby Jesus in his wooden berceau. ...The small animals, troubadours of the time. Christmas music is coming too.

Me, I lost the effervescence a long time ago; circumstances killed my spirit forever. I'm done with the decadence of the human empire; this is the time for the new children, the newborns and the young ones. It's life, and there are 7.35 billion people on Earth.

Last night I watched this ::

Based on a true story. The Du Pont family is one the five richest/most powerful families of the entire world.

______

That Du Pont guy, John du Pont, he's a strange animal. But he's not the only one strange rich guy; Donald Trump, Georges Bush, tra-la-la ...the list will fill the museum of the strangest human animals of the planet.
Anyway the film is reasonably sync with the real events from what the director could possibly do with it (some stuff had to be tweaked around in time), the actor's performances look convincing enough, and the entire "slab" is one of of the strangest swimming pools around...way of speech, depending of people's own point of view on all this affair and the sports funding. ...Yeah, sports.

What this film did to me is to research. To research above and below the boundaries of the human's capitulation.
Many of you have already saw it, and others not; last night I just did. And before and after I did I was goggling around, and learning more about it and beyond.

Overall score (film only): 70 ...Technically (picture & sound) it is fine.
...Outside the film and in real life surrounding the events: Strange fascination on human behavioral condition.

Last word(s): @ the end he lost his cool (he didn't have anymore), and it's amazing what money can save you from and how he was perceived by the police who wouldn't arrest him in his own house. You have to search for what he did and got away with! ...All because he could afford the best lawyers money can buy.

If you think that there is justice on this planet think again.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Once upon a time there was a flutist travelling between the stars in a Volkswagen van....

Before the night before last, I re-watched ::

That's the ultimate full disclosure package; with 'Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse' film documentary, 'Apocalypse Now' theatrical, and Redux version. ...Plus tons of interviews, etc. /// I watched the 'Redux' version (extended footage); over three hours long.

? This is one of my most atmospheric favorite flicks about war.
- Overall (all): 96.5

Last night ::

Roger shines live! If you're a Pink's fan this live music concert on Blu-ray (Dolby Atmos) is a Must!
It's simply an amazing show! ...With power abounding and spilling. ...Aurally and visually.

? Miss it and your life is simply incomplete. ...My own personal opinion of course.
- Overall (all): 96

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like black & white movies; my best pictures were black & white. I say "were" because they were all stolen from me, along with all my own music recordings, all my musical instruments (unique from my travels), my LPs, my music, my movies, and roughly $50,000 of audio electronics, plus so much more that nothing in life can ever replace them.
But the pictures, the travels souvenirs, the LPs, the musical instruments (about two dozens), is very very tough to get over; it has 40 years of life history (some 45), including my drawings, writings, the stuff of deep deep down in me. ...Everything mint.
Also stolen from me where family souvenirs 100 years old.

Anyway, last night I revisited this:

One of my top favorite comedies. You have all seen it so you know the scoop. :b

Overall (film value/fun): 93.5

* And if someone who's reading this and haven't seen it yet; what are you waiting for! :D

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Spectre and Brooklyn, but not last night, more last weekend. Not impressed with either. The Bond movies are not much fun now, just like in the 80s. It almost seemed like it was embarrassed to be a bond movie. Brooklyn was one of those movies that didn't seem to say anything at all. I think Daniel Craig would have been better in Brooklyn, and the "Irish" chick from Brooklyn would have been a better Bond.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Mike, nice to see someone here once in a while. :b

Every single day I'm thinking about quitting (it feels real lonely @ times), but almost every single day I watch a movie, so I keep posting.

I was invited to go see 'Spectre' (with a supreme judge and an artist, and with both their wives) the evening of Paris' attack; Friday, November 13.
But I declined. I'll wait for it on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Hi Mike, nice to see someone here once in a while. :b

Every single day I'm thinking about quitting (it feels real lonely @ times), but almost every single day I watch a movie, so I keep posting.

I was invited to see 'Spectre' the evening of Paris' attack; Friday, November 13. ...But I declined.
I'll wait for it on Blu-ray.

We're here, but you have to slow down to see us.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Watching Roger Waters' Blu-ray version of The Wall. As a long -time Floyd fan, I have found it very well done. Technical aspects, especially the sound, are very good. It carries a Dolby Atmos track, with a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD core. Those expecting a straight concert recording will be taken aback by Waters' interludes that offer moments from his private family life, etc.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
* Lee, it didn't bother me...the short interludes. They were part of the message, for me. ... Roger Waters - The Wall on Blu.

Last night I revisited ::

Score (film only): 78.5 ...It's a zombie comedy, and it can be up or down...it depends. ...It was up enough for me.

The night before last night (also revisited - in 3D) :::

Score (everything): 92

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Completely overboard, like 'Shaun of the Dead'. But I prefer that overboard here more.
Overall (everything including the audio and the picture technical aspects; even the bass is overexposed): 81.5

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Just discovered High Society.
What a great snapshot of talent and music documentation.
Bing,Frank,Loius,Grace music score by Cole Porter.
Fun, campy and some golden voices.
So many silly one liners to use in every day life.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this last night ::

Low production little gem ($15 million estimated).
It has some sweet moments, and it has some violent ones too, very.

Overall (film and technical aspects): 85

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Drive: the opening car chase scene was stellar, hinting of more to come ... but ... well, the rest didn't do much for me.

Also just watched Inside Out, well got in half of it ... maybe catch the last half later ... just not as smart or funny as I anticipated, esp. given the stellar reviews, didn't anticipate a "darkish" Pixar movie and recently read The Good Dinosaur is even darker. But my taste in movies is littered with the likes of ...

Merida_disney.png

Brave, which was critically panned, consistently ranked as a lesser Pixar entry; yet it remains one of my favorites, along with this cop/buddy movie ...

215px-End_of_Watch_Poster.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like 'Brave' too, in 3D (very nice; from PIXAR). :cool:

Last night I watched this (in 3D) :::

Hmmm...not my bag, unfortunately; but it's only the film and the actors and the comical aspect of it all.
Technically it fared better, with a good 3D rendition and good sound effects.
But then, like music; if the recording is a superior one but the music doesn't rock your boat...are you going to buy? /// I thought so too. Anyway, it's only money, not the end of the world.

* Overall (film, and technical aspects...3D Blu): 71 (Film itself is 56, and Blu-ray 3D technical qualities is 88). ...Nobody else but me.

Last word: The actress (Evangeline Lilly); she was the main attraction.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Hmmm...not my bag ... Last word: The actress (Evangeline Lilly); she was the main attraction.

It was standard fair for me, glad I watched it for her alone ... although I hardly recognized her at first.
ant-man-paul-rudd-evangeline-lilly.jpg

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Finally watched Pixar's last true movie (before Disney) ...
disney-pixar-cars-windshield-sun-shade-6.jpg

A fun movie, superb animation (apparently Cars utilized much faster computers / processing to prior Pixar efforts and it still required on ave 17hrs to render each individual frame). I'd read a lot of negative reviews, so I wasn't in any rush, obviously. Yet, easily one of my very favorite Pixar movies.

BTW, have you heard of the http://www.pixartheory.com/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing