Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
It's rain in the air here, you Ron?
Cloudy but lo 50's here today. No rain

You were born @ the end of WW ll.

October 1946
Course I've seen Kwai quite a few times since. Lean sure knew how to make a film

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's why he's one of the top best film directors of all time in my red cinema book.

WW ll ended up September 2, 1945. You were airborne one year after, during peacetime.
_____

Ron, on and off over the course of the last few weeks I have been watching and comparing a 1977 flick, during which I was travelling in Central America (1977).
That film is this one:

Overall (film only): 93

The 4K version was released last year, 2017, for the 40th anniversary,
Before that for the 30th anniversary I also have the 2007 special package and Blu-ray version.

I was interested in comparing among the best of the best, between 2007 and 2017...a ten-year development in visual technology and audio.
Overall after diligent analysis I prefer the 2007 Blu-ray version for the audio.
They failed in the audio department ten years later, a downgrade.

For visuals it's more complicated, because some scenes look better in 4K, and others look better in 2K from the 2007 Blu-ray version...in my eyes opinion. It takes a new adaptation, a new accomodation that it isn't easy @ all. It all depends of so many things and various set of eyes directed to various type of calibrated displays and monitors. Some details from the 2007 BR version I much prefer overall. Some contrast from the 2017 4K UHD version in some scenes I overall prefer.

In the grand scheme of movie universe, today, I am still deliberating.

Sir David Lean, and Steven Spielberg gave us some of the best movie magic moments.
___

Extra:

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Watch this movie many times before. Watch it again this morning, still spook the hell out of me...especially the dog in the warehouse scene.

IMG_3469.JPG

Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like that flick too Tang.

Another one I like and that I found is underappreciated (humor, superhero, action), and also starring the charming and attractive Charlize Theron:

And it is cool that you posted 'I am Legend' because it inspires me now to rewatch this one in a very near future:

Great audio soundtrack, a film ^ that I really like a lot.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Funny, I just watched the Book of Eli a few days ago. One of my favorites of Denzel’s.

Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Both films sure have similarities; the aftermath of an apocalyptic world.
And, they resonate with actual events happening here and there today in our world, and starting to spread ever more it seems according to the United Nations, and Twitter.

Last night I felt that I needed to be humorously entertained; I revisited 'Thor: Ragnarok', in (((3-Dimensional))) visuals. It is the third one of the series, the most humorous one, with the excellent Cate Blanchett as the villain, a beautiful villain with beautiful costumes. It's more a funny flick than anything else, with nice decor sets and locales, colorful, just good fun from this 3rd in the series (and not the last) to keep my mind out of the aftermath of WW3 if ever it comes to that point (I've been reading some).
___

"In 1949, after the unleashing of nuclear weaponry at the end of WWII, physicist Albert Einstein suggested that any outcome of a possible WWIII would be so dire as to revert mankind back to the Stone Age. When asked by journalist Alfred Werner, what types of weapons Einstein believed World War III might be fought with, Einstein warned, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". It can be inferred here that Einstein assumed that World War III would either exterminate, or else nearly exterminate the human race (presumably due to nuclear warfare).[verification needed]

In his book Destined for War: Can America and China Escape Thucydides's Trap?, Graham Allison views the global rivalry between the established power, US, and the rising power, China, as an example of the Thucydides Trap. Past examples have often led to war, and in this case World War Three is possible but not inevitable."

___

Films and music are like an escape from reality, an entertaining world in virtuality.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Funny, I just watched the Book of Eli a few days ago. One of my favorites of Denzel’s.

Tang

Also starring the adorable Mila Kunis, which I forgot to mention previously.
The film is a powerful vehicle with a clear message; a humbling lesson in the future of mankind, in human history, the Earth and the human race.

Faith is in our own hands.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ridley Scott is one of my favorite movie directors. In all his films there is something to be discovered from the maestro @ work, something artistically intelligent.
'All the Money in the World' is no different; you accept his artistic line of work and compositions and denouement or you don't. Here I did, again.

You can view it as what it could have been more or different or you can view it as his own vision; I viewed as the later.

This is based on true events, mildly adapted. The acting is fine, Christopher is in great form, the story enveloped me with concentrated interest. The cinematography is excellent, the locales sumptuous, realistic. The music score matches well. It's the type of film that demands research and extra viewing. I will surely revisit it because of the angles of the camera and the movements. ...Plus much more.

Overall: 83 ... Yes I recommend it, definitely...
...on Blu:

_____

Extra bonus:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Murder on the Orient Express

New one, Branagh take. I liked it.
Commentary had a line that cracked me up. Ridley Scott was involved in production so that animated Scottfree title plays. During that time B mentions how great of an artist Ridley is for not just his set drawings but as a real artist, if he wasn't directing film he would be in the Louvre!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'The Post' last night.

I don't know if some of you are like me but I love movies and books and music based on real events.
This one was, and it's another good one. And Steven Spielberg made it with a specific goal in mind. I let you do your own research if you have any interest. It's a worthwhile goal and very present today, just like it was during the Vietnam war.

I enjoyed the tension, the actors, the storyline, some amazing shots, near the very end.

Overall: 79 ... See it if you haven't yet, and connect with today's reality, from the Nixon era of yesterday.

Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott...you can't go wrong with these guys.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A couple yesterday

The Equaliser- Denzel in Man on Fire Mode. What’s not to like

Atomic Blonde- not bad. Nice choreographed fights, good car crashes.
T was bad ass and could also take punishment

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some serious 'punishment' action stuff there Ron. I like them both for the good feel, what the bad guys deserve with full balance. :b
___

Edit: Coincidence, in the air, this just came up now.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Didn't know there would be a sequel. Should have assumed there would be.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^your right Bob the bad guys definitely get their due.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 6.18.07 AM.jpg

It is hard to imagine that the US Government allowed this to happen. Zero excuses. Incredibly intense film. I felt drained after it was over. I don't spend much time thinking about film score or the technical merits of the movie (unless it is AWFUL). A good soundtrack most certainly can add to the film, particularly one as visceral as this one. If the film draws me in and/or entertains me, it was worth the effort and time to watch it. And this one most certainly did.

As to the above, the Book of Eli is one of those films I don't get tired of re-watching. The underlying story, acting, and trying to imagine what our world would be like in the aftermath of calamity is more than a bit thought provoking.

And Atomic Blonde was just entertaining. Also one that I have watched multiple times and will re-watch again.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
13 Hours > Important film that demands to learn on what exactly happened back then, and who was in charge. There are many articles, and deeply hurt families. Somewhere someone made a grave mistake, a deadly miscalculation.

The Shape of Water > Filmmaking @ its best. And great replay value too, like 13 Hours. No wonder it won the Oscar for Best Picture...deservedly so.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

In the style of 'Heat' but nowhere near as good.
Bank robbers versus cops.

The big shooting on the highway is loud (guns), and unrealistic for USA (too many cars, people), more in line with Mexico. There are simply too many holes (bullet holes and actor's holes). We simply don't buy it. It looks like if it was made for Netflix, a soap opera me too genre.

Overall: 45

Last word: Skip it, unless bank robberies by hardcore criminals with big automatic rifles making big ricochet sounds impress the hell out of your macho instinct.
Watch Cate Blanchett instead, in 'Thor: Ragnarok'. Only for Cate Blanchett, and nobody else.
___

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing