* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
FOX wanted another re-release on DVD and Blu-ray, with those additional 30 minutes that were cut on the room floor.
But Ridley said no because the theatrical version was his true vision.

So, you do understand that it is the Studio who hacks and markets the movie initially and that Scott doesn't have a say in this, do you?

Because the two lines quoted above prove my point precisely.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The movie industry is a business to make money, so yes, the studios have the main control.
The artist (filmmaker)? Unless they have their own private film studios, or they have contract clauses with the studios that give them some control.
And there is another governing body, the film censors and age ratings (MPAA).

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-you-sometimes-find-a-Directors-Cut-version-of-a-film-on-DVD

So, FOX is into making money any which way they can. Ridley just goes along for the ride, more than other film directors, with director's cuts on home movies (his films are too long for the theaters).
Perhaps there is a collaboration effort here, between FOX, Ridley, and the fans. ...Star Wars and Lucas?

Bonus (for you): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-4K-Blu-ray/153632/#Review
- http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-4K-Blu-ray/153633/#Review

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There is a film, Payback, starring Mel Gibson. The Director's cut runs 90 minutes. The Theatrical version runs 101 minutes.
Anything goes in this movie business. Even the government can have a say in some particular films.
The movie studios they run what the public want to see, what makes money. ...Comic book cartoons...super heroes, sci-fi, fantasies from popular book writers, war films, ...

Ridley Scott just happened to be associated with the term; father of director's cut with 30% of his films.
If I would be a movie studio executive, I would hire him, and Peter Jackson too.

What's the name of that writer...Harry Potter's books. ...No director's cuts...but one film made into two films (last book). ...Quentin Tarantino...Kill Bill.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Ridley Scott just happened to be associated with the term; father of director's cut with 30% of his films.
If I would be a movie studio executive, I would hire him, and Peter Jackson too.

Any director has his own cut.

The hatchet job is a decision by the studios.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I cut the TV cable more than twenty years ago; soon I'll cut the cable news from the Internet.

* Last night I just revisited American Sniper, directed by Clint Eastwood. ...The theatrical/home Blu-ray version.
...Based on a true story. ...Good flick, not bad replay value.

? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=317652&viewfull=1#post317652

Overall: Among some of the finest...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
...Based on a true story. ...Good flick, not bad replay value.

Based on a bio with many unsubstantiated claims, actually.

Here is one article (there are others).

Expect the movie script to take many additional 'artistic' liberties...

another article from Salon this time:

7 Heinous lies “American Sniper” is telling America

A quote:

6. Chris Kyle Was Successfully Sued For Lying About the Former Governor of Minnesota: Kyle alleged that former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura defamed Navy SEALs and got into a fight with him at a local bar. Ventura successfully sued Kyle for the passage in his book, and a jury awarded him $1.845 million.

So what do you get when you watch a movie from a script, itself adapted from an autobiography which has been judged to contain lies?

Lies upon lies upon lies... serving whom? :p

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, I understand how you feel. It's a terrible world of movie lies we live in.

I revisited Paths of Glory (1957) last night:

It is based on the novel of the same name, and directed by the movie master, Stanley Kubrick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

I would rate it (film only, plus B&W picture): 89
_________

"Paths of Glory is based loosely on the true story of four French soldiers, executed in 1915 during World War I under General Géraud Réveilhac for failure to follow orders. The soldiers were rehabilitated in 1934.[5] The novel is about the French execution of innocent men to strengthen others' resolve to fight. The French Army did carry out military executions for cowardice, as did most of the other major participants, excluding the United States of America and Australia.[6] The United States sentenced 24 soldiers to death for cowardice, but the sentences were never carried out.[7] However, a significant point in the film is the practice of selecting individuals at random and executing them as a punishment for the sins of the whole group. This is similar to the Roman practice of decimation, which was rarely used by the French Army in World War I. A little known exception is the French decimation (the shooting of every tenth person in a unit) of the 10e Compagnie of 8 Battalion of the Régiment Mixte de Tirailleurs Algériens. During the retreat, at the beginning of the war, these French-African soldiers refused an order to attack. They were shot on December 15, 1914, near Zillebeke in Flanders.[7]"

_________

Today we have drones operated by remote control satellite operators, inside trailers with computers...like gamers.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sir YashN I watched this last night (I took a chance):

Different, like a theater play. ...Strange, strange, ...it's a one-girl show. ...The two guys are mainly her supporters.
And us? Lol, us we want to know. So we have no choice but to go along for the ride; and that is exactly where the attraction is with that flick...our desire to know.
It's a very simple film, like a play. ...And unfortunately full of holes; with no attention to small details that are important for the suspense of "I believe".
I saw more of what it could have been than what was onscreen. It still keeps you wanting to know, more so with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, ...some' about her that is "arresting" ... her eyes expressing the same as us...wanting to know too.

Yes, there are some small details where no effort were made to make them more believable, and that's my main criticism.
But overall it's worth a watch. My own rating score (film & technical aspects): 69

Lol, the critics...did they overrated that one or what! I was going to insert a trailer, but I decided not to.
It's best to have zero idea. That's the best value this flick has going on for it, IMO.

Yeah, give it a shot. I took a chance and I survived well because I was interested to know...about what was coming up.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Sir YashN I watched this last night (I took a chance):

Heard it's really good even without any tie-in to the 'Cloverfield' name.

Watching the Euro and Copa for now, but we did watch a few movies to catch up with X-Men, but more on this later!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hello YashN, there are some relations between the two films: 'Cloverfield' (2008) and '10 Cloverfield Road' (2016); the later a 'spiritual successor' of the former.
* Caution: Please don't click that link if you didn't see any of this 'Cloverfield' two-film franchise ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane
________
________

I watched something "light" last night, 'The Diary of a Teenage Girl', with honest down-to-earth non-judging fun lovely adventure into the world of Minnie (Bel Powley).

That was a pleasant surprise. It brought me back to the times when life was simpler and more natural, in the 70s in San Francisco...Peace & Love times....no war.
There was no internet, no Apple and no Microsoft. ...And everything else that comes with it.
Humans were real humans and no numbers @ the factory line with punching cards, and passport's salesmen and passwords and credit card numbers and personal identity theft.
The phone and the tape cassette recorder were the communication system @ distance and personal.
A book of "avant-gardiste" stylish drawings was also part of the diary along with the recordings.

I could write a lengthy impression about this welcome flick, but I won't.
I will say only this: View it with your lover, with your children, with your family, with your friends, your wife, your girlfriend, ...everyone.
It's a good change from the year 2016 with all the personal criticism and judgement and just too 'strange' world we all now live in.

Overall score: 83 ? It was delightful, marvelous. ...A great dose of fresh/natural reality. ...Which is so missing in this crazy race of superficiality. :b

P.S. Just in case, my short review above contains some humor. ... "punching cards", etc.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
_________

Today we have drones operated by remote control satellite operators, inside trailers with computers...like gamers.

That's the ticket. Let's make war more impersonal, more addictive. I admit that type of combat will have its place.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's the ticket. Let's make war more impersonal, more addictive. I admit that type of combat will have its place.

Hi Ron,

The technology in drones is remarkable. ...All type of drones, from mosquito's size equipped with hi-def camera. miniature motor on a chip, flying wings, battery, remotely operated, to full size ones equipped with pinpoint missiles accuracy. We've seen documentaries and films on drones operated from small trailers by army kids, and waiting for orders from the supreme general in command.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-five-most-deadly-drone-powers-the-world-12255

War, is everywhere, for all type of reasons and from all world regions and using all type of material. ...War of fists, of words, of values, of control, supreme power, ...war of destruction, conflicts of interests, oil, revenues, ...all type of wars. When there's no war it's called a period of calm/peace. It's like dormant for a while till it gets ignited again.
War is even just next door to us. And eventually we'll be able to buy drones with missiles from our Walmart stores...just like other war stuff.

Next week a movie will come up, on Blu-ray...Eye in the Sky. ...And it's about drones. ...And more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_in_the_Sky_(2015_film)

This is a vast subject and the internet scammers are under surveillance by drones, but they don't know it...just yet. :b
Anyway, the day that nuclear missiles will be attached to drones...that'll be the day.

_______

? We love music and movies, much more than drones. ...For the vast majority. ...That's the best part we have, among with our families and friends that we take great care of.
_______

I'm glad to see you.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Yes drones are everywhere
Daughters wedding a few years ago had the videographer use one at the lakeside resort. There was a scheduled break during the skirmish

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
98990_large.jpg

I looked for a good order to watch the X-Men movies, in order to catch up with X-Men: Days of Future Past on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-Ray.

Things aren't too simple to figure out as there is a chronological order of release, but there's also a couple of Universe timelines.

Some say to just watch them in order of release, others recommend starting with X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

That would have been OK, but it's supposedly not one of the best movies, so we started with First Class instead.

It was thoroughly enjoyable as a foundational movie to understand the X-Men world, especially in the light of the mutants as an alternate life-form either pitted against or feared by the humans.

Fassbender did an awesome job as Magneto (called 'mag-nee-to' in the movie for some odd reason, whereas 'magnet-oh' makes more sense I think :p ) and Kevin Bacon is brilliant as usual.

There's a little cameo by Rebecca Romijn as well.

This means we watched Origins: Wolverine second.

It wasn't as good, but it is still also foundational for the Wolverine character. A rather beautiful actress is in it as well which helps.

So, we then saw X-Men, and it still wasn't as good as 'First-Class'. Probably didn't help that it was my second viewing as well.

However, I also think that McKellen isn't very convincing as Magneeeeto after Fassbender's dark impersonation.

We can now either continue with X-2 or else indulge in the 4K experience with X-Men DOFP, which apparently has the team coming from the future and going back to change events which could erase everything from the old timeline.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Yesterday:

8176WVaHTvL._SL1500_.jpg

This is supposedly an Epic by Ridley Scott.

I think he has lost his touch. This movie has as back story a mythical and mystical story. It has everything initially to make a rousing Epic of God-like proportions (ah ah).

Why then does it fall short?

A few things:

- A very weak, even effeminate Pharaoh played by Edgerton, supposedly Moses' main foe. His verbalisations and expressions are disconnected and weird.

- An utterly pathetic 'gimmick' in having The I AM THAT I AM, the voice and Godly presence of the burning bush, be a kid.

- The white-washing of characters, often decried by observers perhaps?

Mind you, despite the gimmick mentioned, the very young actor playing the part is excellent.

Bale is great at his role, but also seems a little wooden or at least smaller than his character somehow, but it's probably not his fault.

Now, some of the shots are fantastic in this movie. Seeing this in 4K made us think 'how we did watch movies before 4K?'.

It's a bit colour-deprived, but the scenes with the majestic, living, breathing Egypt are amazing, other scenes are full of detail.

It's an entertaining watch, but there are a few annoying things which make it fall short of the Epic it was meant to be.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm a X-Men's fan, and a Ridley Scott's fan as well. I am also a 3D's fan, so The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past & Exodus: Gods and Kings from your above mentions, I enjoyed them in 3D, very. ...More the two X-Men BR movies than the Ridley one.

X-Men series has eight films total (the 8th one coming this Fall).

And it's also in 3D...with the up-coming regular Blu-ray (Fall).
All X-Men films: http://www.bing.com/search?q=x-men+all+movies&form=MSSEDF&pc=EUPP_MSE1

* This is an interesting situation for me: I love 3D, but FOX doesn't include Dolby Atmos with their 3D BR movies, only with their UHD (4K) ones.
I'm in a twilight zone.
________

Did you read this review? ? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Independence-Day-4K-Blu-ray/151490/#Review

________

You are a 4K Man, I am still a 3D Man. ...Were both X-Men. :D ...The old 3D tech and the new 4K HDR.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Nothing exciting in my life visually, only historically (with some movie magic):

Four films, I watched The Man with the Movie Camera (1929) - Film/Documentary style (black & white).
_________

Dziga Vertov: The Man with the Movie Camera and Other Newly-Restored Works
Deluxe Blu-ray Edition
"I am an eye. A mechanical eye. I am the machine that reveals the world to you as only the machine can see it.
- Dziga Vertov ("Kino-Eye")

These words, written in 1923 (only a year after Robert Flaherty s Nanook of the North was released) reflect the Soviet pioneer s developing approach to cinema as an art form that shuns traditional or Western narrative in favor of images from real life. They lay the foundation for what would become the crux of Vertov s revolutionary, anti-bourgeois aesthetic wherein the camera is an extension of the human eye, capturing the chaos of visual phenomena filling the universe. Over the next decade-and-a-half, Vertov would devote his life to the construction and organization of these raw images, his apotheosis being the landmark 1929 film The Man with the Movie Camera. In it, he comes closest to realizing his theory of Kino-Eye, creating a new, more ambitious and more significant picture than what the eye initially perceives.

Now thanks to the extraordinary restoration efforts of Lobster Films, Blackhawk Films® Collection, EYE Film Institute, Cinémathèque de Toulouse, and the Centre National de la Cinématographie Flicker Alley is able to present the four films featured on Dziga Vertov: The Man with the Movie Camera and Other Newly-Restored Works in a brand-new, Blu-ray edition.

The Man with the Movie Camera (1929) - Named the best documentary film of all time by Sight and Sound, it is presented here in its entirety for the first time since its original premiere. Discovered and restored at EYE Film Institute in Amsterdam - with extensive digital treatment by Lobster Films - the 35mm print from which this edition is, in part, sourced is the only known complete version of the film.
• Kino Eye/The Life Unexpected (1924) A cinematographic poem in which Vertov lays the foundation of his Kino-Eye principles, the film shows the incredible force of his theories, but also the beauty and energy of a society fresh from revolution, ready to face the challenges of a difficult future.
• Enthusiasm The Symphony of the Donbass (1931) One of the first Soviet sound films, it deals with the Five Year Plan of the late 1920s, and represents Vertov s radical attempt to link economic progress with the introduction of sound in cinema.
• Three Songs About Lenin (1934) Arguably Vertov s most personal work, the triptych celebrates the Soviet leader 10 years after his death as seen through the eyes of the people.

The Man with the Movie Camera and Kino Eye feature musical accompaniments by Alloy Orchestra and Robert Israel respectively, while original soundtracks have been restored for Enthusiasm and Three Songs About Lenin.

Bonus features include Kino Pravda #21, a newsreel made in 1925 to mark the first anniversary of Lenin s death, as well as a booklet featuring information about Vertov s life and works.

Engish and French subtitles available with original Russian intertitles.

X-Men it ain't. It's just the best documentary film ever. ...No 3D here, no UHD 4k, no Dolby Atmos, only old black and white and I prefer silent (no music).

? Rating score: Up there among the world cinema stars
Not for everyone, more for the cinema history movie lovers. ...Russian cinema.

Change iz good.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
5682_large.jpg

Not much to say with this 3rd installment: quite a weak story-line and a few caricatural scenes, because at that point, the references to the previous two and the one-liners are unimaginative and predictable.

There are some OK special effects, but this movie is worth watching only to catch up with the story before seeing the next ones and for Kristanna Loken who is just perfect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing