* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think this was the fourth time that I revisited this film:

It's a science fiction, within a phone call waiting to ring...
It's pure cinema poetry by a unique genius with colorful visions of a world in suspension.

Overall: 85

"The story centres on Qohen Leth (Waltz), a reclusive computer genius working on a formula to determine whether life holds any meaning."

Last word: Don't wait for that phone call, see the movie instead, if you haven't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Contagion
A few Name stars could have been better.
Paltrow dies early. I actually liked the music soundtrack.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Contagion
A few Name stars could have been better.
Paltrow dies early. I actually liked the music soundtrack.

That was a bit of a spoiler.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's an impacting movie Ron; it reminds me of the Hollywood virus recently surrounding one famous film producer. The three main actresses had close encounters with the Hollywood "plague".

The final cure, it seems, is to expose the virus in the social affairs of the Internet. It has been hibernating/hiding for a very long time because of fear, financial fear to be more exact, and human rejection, domination.

It's not for everyone; the story is told very uniquely, and adroitement by the director.
No Spider-Man CGI action stunts here, it is more discretely concealed, figuratively speaking.

* Yes Ian, it would be nice to have a spoiler feature here, even for older films...2011 here, and directed by Steven Soderbergh...'Contagion'.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
That was a bit of a spoiler.
She was in it 5 min maybe 10 max at the beginning.Very early! Reviews I read awhile ago mentioned it was a wasted role. She was essentially one of the first contagion deaths. It starts with people dropping pretty early. Its essentially about finding a remedy, source and social breakdown. Body count goes up quick.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kate Winslet and Marion Cotillard are in it too. They too spoke up recently about a certain film producer/executive from the Hollywood gang. He's in rehab now, rehabilitating whatever can be rehabilitated. ..most likely zip.

There was one, then two, then eight, then sixteen, then forty, ...
Yes, contagious. ...Like in the movie, like in the reality.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Which is why Paltrow took such a small role I suspect.

The selection of the film you've watched Ron is apropos, on timing, with several Hollywood actors and actresses in 'Contagion' who have worked for the Weinstein company and with the film's subject also apropos...contagious...a virus.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It has been raining jazz here for the last couple days or three, and last night I took the opportunity to revisit this guy (2012), in 3D:

It's a short animated feature film (87 mins with the closing credits), in black and white, I love B&W [strike]fix[/strike] flicks.

"In the film, a boy named Victor loses his dog, a Bull Terrier named Sparky, and uses the power of electricity to resurrect him — but is then blackmailed by his peers into revealing how they too can reanimate their deceased past pets and other creatures, resulting in mayhem.
The tongue-in-cheek film contains numerous references and parodies related to the book, past film versions of the book and other literary classics."

Overall: 85
* 3D Blu-ray experience alone: 95
___

Bonus trailer:

Final verdict: Recommended, highly. Perfect for when it's raining tears of jazz outside.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Bob, I saw it a number of years ago. The subtle and not so subtle references to the book and classics were great. I'm sure I missed s few should revisit

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A revisit. I like this one quite a bit.
MI: Ghost Protocol

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A revisit. I like this one quite a bit.
MI: Ghost Protocol

Good flick Ron; that high rise scene was "mind blowing".

_____

I've watched Spider-Man: Homecoming in 3D. ...Not too bad, there was a scene in 3D that was quite thrilling.

I would rate the film a fair and square 65 (that includes the 3D effects; without it's a 35 @ best).
It's missing the main essence; Spider-Woman, and a woman film director, and more female actresses.
It feels childish, for young kids, boys, young teenagers, and cool plastic elasticity CGI regenerated, robotic, mechanic, with fun characters that aren't really that funny; they just faked it, trying to. It feels cartoonish cardboard, but it's fun for a couple scenes adding that 3-dimensional field's vertigo perspective type entertainment.
But Birdman, Michael Keaton, is in it. ...The best expressive face today in the Hollywood'stars industry.
And he flies too, like a bird, with wings. * I love 'Birdman' the movie.

But Speedo-ManH in 3D some scenes were fun. That's mainly what I recommend, seeing it in 3D.
And not because I'm a 3D type of guy, but because there are some truly awesome scenes in 3D. 3D is incredibly alive, no doubt. It reminded me of the flick 'The Walk' ... about the Frenchman who truly walked between the Trade Center's twin towers, on top. ...Philippe Petit.

I'm not a big Speedo type of guy, I'm more a Dark Knight type of guy.
The best Speedo-Man was the second one, with the Octopus badguy, played by Alfred Molina...doctor Otto Octavius, who transformated into Dr. Octopus, of course...from a failed nuclear fusion experiment.

_____

'The Walk'

Listen to the music:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's raining tears of jazz here; last night I revisited Redux:

"The horror..."

The guy from both 'Blade Runner' flicks, the original and its sequel, Indiana Jones, is in it. Also Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen and Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper ('Blue Velvet'), the "CNN" journalist.

Replay value: 92 ...in 2D 1080p...'Redux'

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I watched the new Netflix documentary; The Day I Met El Chapo

It's only a short three episode Series, with time flying by fast and easily.

Overall: 88

Last word: I recommend it; it opens our eyes wider on the risks some movie and TV stars are taking to expand their fame, for the benefit of their larger supporting audience, fan base.
But, for their friends and families and their own lives, it has no benefit whatsoever; to the very exact opposite contrary.

What it did for me is to research all the main players involved in this "meeting" affair, directly and underground related, a distance.

I viewed that full interview with El Chapo Guzmán, ...it's on YouTube.
I've read the Rolling Stone's article.
I've watched the Sean Penn's interview with Charlie Rose.
I've watched Miss Castillo's interview with Diane Sawyer.

It's interesting, very, these two worlds, Hollywood and the Mexican drug cartel, colluding with each other.
Miss Kate del Castillo is a very pretty actress, and Sean Penn is ... well, he doesn't need any introduction...he is himself with everything attached to him.

Give it a shot if only slightly interested in a "bizarre" series of events and consequences world.

Personally I thought that it was a very bad idea, but like I said; some people like taking risks to improve their image and put it on the higher pedestal. Some movie stars do that sometimes. And here they certainly did, and I wouldn't trade places and roles with any of them, no way sir.

This ain't no love story, even if it was disguised as one @ first. It is a classic story of betrayal.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There is much more about this brand new Netflix film documentary, mini 3-part series... • https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...97043e57a22_story.html?utm_term=.0f06da42c396

And you can also Google up Sean Penn and Madonna.
And coincidentally, El Chapo was extradited to the USA one day before the new US president's official inauguration. Right now our Mexican drug lord is inside a building in New York City, on Manhattan Island, and awaiting his court trial in spring 2018...his day in the US justice law system machine.

And the Mexican/USA border wall? Prototypes are being build as we speak, to see which one will get seal of approval. Drugs that come from Mexico and enter the USA is not easy to stop; there aren't enough patrol guards for all the underground tunnels, it has to be an underground wall too, deep enough to deter the tunnel's diggers from El Chapo's expert crews, and high enough to stop the big ladders and heavy duty high altitude drones. Something big enough to keep the air from escaping. ;-)

Addiction is a lucrative business; in drugs as in movie stars.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Drugs that come from Mexico and enter the USA is not easy to stop; there aren't enough patrol guards for all the underground tunnels, it has to be an underground wall too, deep enough to deter the tunnel's diggers from El Chapo's expert crews, and high enough to stop the big ladders and heavy duty high altitude drones. Something big enough to keep the air from escaping. ;-)

Addiction is a lucrative business; in drugs as in movie stars.
Hirer a bunch of Dementors as guards. That should do the trick.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself... soulless and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."
_____

Ron, that new Netflix show is . . . Illuminating. ...In particular when researching deeper than just its surface.
Miss Kate del Castillo is living in fear indeed, and that's one way to protect her interests and her reputation.
It is very clear the reason why she did that documentary in collaboration with the ever popular and vast reaching audience Netflix.
And to listen to her Mom and Dad and to all her supporting friends is very hard because their lives are forever changed, and not for the better. She is fighting the entire Mexican government.
It is a losing battle, a futile and waste of time spend on Earth. There is simply no point of return; not for her, and neither for Sean Penn. As for Madonna I just don't know; they talked about getting Sean Penn's cellular conversations.

I don't see a bright future for some stars in the movie/TV industry, like here.
I don't know everything but enough to have a clear enough vision.
There is one guy in that documentary in particular, and he looks real serious when he speaks.
There are others too, but this one is ... very serious. I take a good hint from him.
And Sean Penn is no angel, we all know that. It amazes me that he seduced or get seduced by Miss Kate del Castillo. Yes, they had a short romantic affair together. ...As if double-crossing each other.

I highly recommend it because it is very present right now and it reflects the Hollywood star's high society. ...A world of high deceptions, hypocrisy, abuse of power, of stardom, sex addiction, drugs, money, a plastic template of fake values.
___

Here's that full video interview by Sean Penn, not included in the Netflix doc, only few brief snapshots:

The questions are childish, disrespectful, ...it is mind blowing.
We see El Chapo's simple side, disconnected, but very well aware that he himself has no influence without his organisation. I would be extremely scared to come in contact with him say @ the bar or restaurant.
I bet his people are contemplating a plan to free him from that Manhattan island's jail in New York, and not too far from the Trump tower. Tough lock because he is under extreme surveillance 24/7

Also, I would never ever cross my mind in meeting Sean Penn; I want to stay far faraway from that guy. It's bad karma all over.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Not included in the Netflix doc:

You can watch the full Charlie Rose interview in two parts from YouTube.
Sean Penn thinks he's speaking for the world; sorry to disappoint you man but you are not.
And it's not the first time; it's the story of his life...to get into other people's private business.
I guess he likes the spotlight if it suits him and him only.

And same for the one below with Diane Sawyer:

And last year's Rolling Stone article:

? http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/el-chapo-speaks-20160109

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing