* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Busy last few days:

Remember: I am easily entertained!!

Deep Water Horizon: BP should have had at least one senior executive go to prison. That only 11 people died was incredible. I never cease to be amazed at the abilities of Hollywood to re-create such a horrific event using technology.

Baby Driver: I enjoyed this as well. Fun, lots of action, "Happy Ending"

The Jungle Book: Saw a preview of this at CEDIA 2016 and decided to buy it. Great audio, and again, I am truly fascinated how they create what appear to real animals but clearly are not.

Hitman: Agent 47: LOVED the female lead. Very ATTRACTIVE. A brainless kind of entertainment - that I enjoyed.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hey, someone is watching few movies here. :cool:

I just got my projector re-installed after being out for repair for over a month. Had (and still have) some catching up to do!!

In the queue:

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Atomic Blonde [4K Ultra HD]

Spider-Man: Homecoming [4K Ultra HD]

War For The Planet Of The Apes [4K Ultra HD]

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Of your two lists (8 titles from your two above posts), 'Atomic Blonde' I haven't seen yet...next week.

Out of the blue, for pure entertainment wise, with the main emphasis on the music score; I liked 'Baby Driver' without extreme prejudice, and 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword' best.
The former was well received by the film critics in general, and the later was annihilated.
We all have our senses running @ different ratio gear, with the music and the spirit vibrating in sync.

For closer emotional film impact, in the sense of real, ' Deep Water Horizon' is more tense, nearer home.
It's the only one based on a true story, and I liked very much what its film director did with it.
For inside emotional human importance and awareness, plus its high production values, it is the only film of real merit out of those seven I saw.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was aware that King Arthur got crushed by the critics but, as easily as I am entertained and the fact that it was discounted made it worth a try. I have not enjoyed quite a few movies but the WORST was Volcano Joe.

I bought Deep Water to test out the 4K/HDR in my theater a long time ago and finally go around to watching it. I normally rent movies that are based on some true life situation but in this case, I think it will eventually get re-watched.

Baby Driver was kind of fun, plus it was nice, (given recent events) that the guy played by Kevin Spacey didn't fare well.

I usually only buy action/adventure/sci-fi/mystery films and rent everything else. There are some exceptions when the musical score is great and/or it is a children's movie I want on hand when the grand kids show up. I want to take advantage of my audio and video system and the rentals (Dish, Amazon, RedBox, etc) usually have compressed audio and video.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm in a similar spaceship; I watch a lot of stuff.
The music in films, the composer's score, the tunes played, ...they count a lot to me...even the silence and the quitest whisper. I like silent films.

When I revisited 'Once upon a Time in the West' not long ago, I again enjoyed the music score and the subtle sound design...well crafted by a master music composer and by a high caliber sound design engineer.
...And the cinematography plus the actor's facial expressions.

Some films have a good long lasting impact; we know it when we replay them and appreciate the art of filmmaking.

Some films, like for example, the latest trilogy of the Planet of the Apes, my own vibrating chords aren't incited to rewatch again. But the film critics had high praises for them, the third one included. Some folks are big fans of all the ape movies. It's as if our ancestors are becoming artificial intelligence and they'll take over the human race in a science fictive future...

Let me know what you think about King Arthur's music score in some scenes...the opening, closing credits and others between.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I watched this last night.

"Cory Lambert is a wildlife officer who finds the body of an 18-year-old woman on an American Indian reservation in snowy Wyoming. When the autopsy reveals that she was raped, FBI agent Jane Banner arrives to investigate. Teaming up with Lambert as a guide, the duo soon find that their lives are in danger while trying to solve the mystery of the teen's death."

This film is very good, well constructed and adroitely directed. The actors are giving their best, in particular from our main duo, Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. The chemistry with the decor settings is highly palpable, addictive and interest grabber.
This is good filmmaking, by a master director. The respect is 100% shared by the actors to the film director. This is now one of my top directors, Taylor Sheridan.

Music by Nick Cave, Warren Ellis. Good music.
Budget: $11 million.

"... Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming. Gil Birmingham and Graham Greene also star. According to Sheridan, the opening "inspired by true events" card was a reference to the "thousands of actual stories just like it" involving sexual assault of women on reservations, his primary motivation for writing the film."

It's not for everyone, because of some of the violence. But it has some of that reality of real life...everywhere in the world, yesterday, today, everyday.

Overall: 89 ...Highly recommended, very. This is powerful filmmaking and acting. ...And with beautiful cinematography. The music score is emotionally charged to complement the depth in the story.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My BIL's and I made our yearly lunch and movie trip.
'Thank You For Your Service'
Not the documentary
We all liked it, well acted, not really an uplifting film, but it makes its point.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Probably the best film I saw all year. A well polished movie, tough and hard when needed and serene when needed.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just finished watching Lucy staring Scarlett Johansson on cable. Fascinating movie. Thought provoking about nature and mankind.
Admire Scarlett Johansson very much. She is a female star who dares showing her actual look, physical imperfections, no cover up in the movie. To me thats a charm.

IMG_3215.JPG

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ I've watched Lucy a few times liked it guite a bit except the BS ending

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I love 'Lucy'. She's using her brain...100%

I like the line starting @ 2:22
_____

I watched a documentary last night, on Netflix.

I was going to watch 'Atomic Blonde' on Blu-ray but I got caught up with that documentary above. It has been in my queue, and I couldn't remember what it was about; so I was just curious and decided to see for just a minute. Well, not only I watched it all but I did quite a bit of research afterwards, and this morning too.

Overall: 83 ...Highly recommended...a must see. It opens a world of underground deceptions in the name of false social human values.
What tears my heart apart is that I love watching both the Summer and Winter Games, the Olympics...since I was a kid and even today it is highly emotional.
This is one of the best shows on Earth, and it is sad for the honest athletes.

Last word:

Icarus; a painting.
Because to me personally, it represents the fall of the Greek Olympic spirit, the sportsmanship soiled by all levels of our society...up to the highest levels.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jul/31/ioc-russia-doping-athletes-rio-olympics ? A short article, and a must read.
___

Bonus: Fresh from today ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/41996128

All in all the documentary above, 'Icarus', and the truth behind it all; it reflects a big part of the societies we build in many many aspects...not just sports.
Please watch it, it's free on Netflix if you are a subscriber, and see how you react and how far you want to go in learning more.
I gave you couple links to complement; it might not be your thing, but what I share here is my thing.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I viewed the 1080p Blu version. She's nowhere close to John Wick. I enjoyed seeing Charlize; one attractive actress...photogenic, very.

Overall: 41 (film)

Last word: If you are curious, as I was, go ahead but you won't find solace anywhere. Better revisit John Wick...the original one or its sequel.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It most certainly was not a John Wick movie but I liked it. I much prefer to see a hot blonde whip up on a bunch of bad guys. Realistic? Of course not nor was John Wick.

As I have said more than once, I am easily entertained, And I was entertained. I will most certainly watch again.

And thanks for the trailer on the Netflix film on doping. I will most certainly watch.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
It most certainly was not a John Wick movie but I liked it.

John Wick is amazing.

And they managed to make John Wick 2 top even that, and additionally, with a cliff-hanger to die for.

I have both in 4K, and will re-watch both in 4K.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Last night; another great documentary on Netflix.

I am a chess player, not a champion just a pion.
Nonetheless it is part of my life, and Magnus is the best.

Overall: 91 ... Top recommendation. ...For the mind, without extreme prejudice.
___

The films we like, the documentaries, the music, everything in the culture of the arts, social sciences, vibrate to the rhythm of our own emotional impulses; it's a journey, our journey.
___

* One of the film directors for John Wick, the original, and uncredited, David Leitch, also a stuntman and choreography coordinator in many films (stunts), did direct 'Atomic Blonde'.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Before last night I revisited Volume 1, and last night Volume 2

Atomic Blonde is nowhere near it; far far away from it.
One, the music is soooooo much better, two, the storyline is one thousand percent better, three, the picture quality...colors and black and white is waaaaaay above, four, it's just a better film with much better entertainment all across the board. Atomic Blonde is very very boring compared to Kill Bill. There is simply no other way to get this fact. Sure, there are other words that can lead to the same place, but Rome is still Rome. Kill Bill is in Rome, with elegance. Atomic Blonde is also in Rome, with decadence.
___

I was @ the airport earlier, and later on I had lunch in a Thai restaurant, and in my way back I briefly stopped to check something, and on impulse I purchased this, but don't tell anyone please.

I might check it out tonight, or not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing