* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Revisited:

Good replay value; I can appreciate more the directing and acting. The costumes are top notch, the decors have no equal.
Overall: 84

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

Looks like Comic-Con was the opportunity and venue to showcase a lot of forthcoming movies and trailers.

There's a glut of superhero movies now.

It would have been a ball while I was a teenager. I still watch them for fond memories but superhero-fatigue is bound to set in at one point.

Everyone is rushing up to build their franchise and also their 'Universe' where several superheroes who each have their own movies or series also get together in a new movie series on in a new mini-series.

So, this rather blatant money-grab is what gets to me sometimes.

For instance, how they re-re-booted Superman at DC. It probably went something like this: "Oh that Batman Trllogy was dark and gritty and worked very well, let's reboot Superman and make it dark and gritty as well, and let's prepare the common Universe."

Yesterday we watched "Fantastic 4", and it was really bad.

They all cannot be good, there are too many.

As for the 'made-for-TV' series, Netflix has a great one with Daredevil, but we'll get everyone or more before 'The Defenders' also airs, and despite all the talk about it, "Jessica Jones" wasn't very good at all.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with making an extended Universe as the Marvel movies were planned to be, but it has to be well written and have depth.

Maybe the Netflix 'Universe"-building will be better than the Marvel attempt with "The Avengers"?

What was good with the comics (speaking from experience, circa 1980s) was the depth of the characters, their anguish, moral dilemmas, not necessarily the action (of course, that's a big part of it too because of the superpowers).

It is a shame that today we lose that and the movies for instance just seem to be a string of action scenes with witty one-liners but no depth.

Perhaps the material is best adapted through a 'made-for-TV' series rather than movies.

Perhaps as well since I am catching up with all of it in a very short time, I feel the 'glut' of it even more.

The endless strings of re-boots are sometimes unnecessary and tiring.

We will also watch the older "Fantastic Four", but I have come to think that these comics can't be adapted successfully - they end up being cheesy, although I always liked 'The Silver Surfer' and the FF comics. Two more Blu-Rays for the bargain bin I guess.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
We live in the Dark Ages of Cinema.

1. Orange and Blue Disease - aka Teal and Orange or Teal and Amber Disease

Seriously, I weep for cinema of this dark age. I think twenty years from now people will look at films of this era and say "My God - what were they smoking??!?"

I speak of course, of THE COLOR GRADING VIRUS THAT IS TEAL & ORANGE!!!

from "Teal and Orange - Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness"

This chart makes it visually clear that the oranges and blues truly dominate movie trailers

from "Oranges and Blues"

Another link:

"Why Every Movie Looks Sort of Orange and Blue"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's a good time to live in Hollywood, and be part of the super comic heroes movies. Bunch of those they make a billion dollars each per film. It's the kids rage.
Before the dot com kids get rich quick, silicon valley, computers, ...tra-la-la. ...Cars, houses, TVs, entertainment, gardens, flowers, mountains, lakes, oceans, Dubai, ... :b

In the next three years (or four) they'll be so many super comic heroes flicks that lots of money will be flowing into building more and more theaters.
Movies are way more profitable than discos. Today you go dancing with music videos on multiple screens. The Rolling Stones aren't immortal...soon or later they won't be performing live anymore. Just look @ Las Vegas, and Elvis.

And the theaters of tomorrow will have a swat team @ the entrance doors to protect the patrons. So the investment for fun and peaceful entertainment will have to go there too.

Hundred years from now this world will be totally different than the one we see now, and none of us will be here to see it...only the next babies of twenty years or so from now.
Lol, we don't prepare the ground for them; we only think of ourselves today and get rich before our final departure. We're not considerate of our planet and of the people living on it for tomorrow...the children. We don't show them the right example. They just follow our own money footsteps.
Our family values they took the way of the dodo, and with it all the fights between the super heroes and their villains.

X-Men will become reality one day; an army to protect all life on Earth. Look, man is exploring other planets to see if we can live there.
Check the cities where people live like sardines. They keep building up vertically instead of horizontally. Soon they'll have to build cities under water.

:b

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
In the next three years (or four) they'll be so many super comic heroes flicks that lots of money will be flowing into building more and more theaters.

But will they still suffer from Teal and Amber disease? :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There will be new camera techniques, better lenses, people who can focus, artistic improvisation, color freedom, handshake cameramen, lightening flairs, 8K, and yes...more teal and orange hues (Mad Max), plus black and white movies (my favorites). :b
Also, there will be more documentaries on real life's facts; the educative type, to gain better knowledge, to be better informed about our planet and of the people living on it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just some cinema technique reading...very basic.

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/category/film-technique/
http://www.newwavefilm.com/new-wave-cinema-guide/nouvelle-vague-where-to-start.shtml
? http://www.oma.on.ca/en/contestpages/resources/free-report-cinematography.pdf
? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematic_techniques
______

Last night I revisited Live - Die - Repeat with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, in (((3D))).

And read this too; it is short and has some validity to it from its own viewpoint: http://3defence.blogspot.ca/2014/06/hows-3d-in-edge-of-tomorrow.html
But don't take it all for cash; like I said...every set of eyes is different, and depending of our age, and of our handicaps. But I like that article...it sure rings right.
One thing is certain though; we weren't born to view our world on screens and in 3D, but with reality around us, like in real life...without a screen.
...And everything truly multi-dimensional. ...A TV screen, a front projection screen, a laptop screen, a PC screen, a Mac screen, a tablet screen, a phone screen, etc., were not part of scientific studies on our eyes affectation over time. But no need to be a rocket scientist to know that the human eye is much more relax with normal real life routine...between light and obscurity. A moonlight @ night is relaxing to our eyes, a bright sun on a blue sunny sky day is damaging to our eyes...ultraviolet rays...we need sunglasses and a good hat.
The brightness of our laptops during daytime and nighttime is not the same; I use 50% during the day, and 20% during the night. The more hours I spend starring @ screens the more it affects my eyes. The backlight of our LCD LED and OLED and plasma screens is not a natural light. So the more hours we spend in front of them the more effects our eyes are submitted to.

Anyway, I like that flick, I like 3D, and best to be relaxed with our eyes. ...By not overcharging them with artificial light. ...'Unnatural', just like too much sun will cause cataracts.

* Are your eyes irritated recently; in the morning is there red in the white? Do you experience migraines, slight headaches just above your eyes?
Take care of your eyes, they are most precious. And the same with your ears, turn the volume down to where it is just right...relaxing and peaceful. :b
If you like loud heavy metal, and that you are over sixty, let say, you might want to reconsider your music evolution and explore chorals, classical piano music and operas. :b

Be good, enjoy the day today and not for tomorrow's yesterday...Edge of Tomorrow.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
There will be new camera techniques, better lenses, people who can focus, artistic improvisation, color freedom, handshake cameramen, lightening flairs, 8K

There already are new camera techniques, 8K, 4K in my own home, better lenses, etc...

The question is will we still live in the cinematic Dark Ages where the colours are washed out, the same crappy digital filters are used everywhere, or the same monochromatic scenes are shown.

It's an utter waste of all the better technology we have, and unfortunately, it's a monkey-see-monkey-do world.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The brightness of our laptops during daytime and nighttime is not the same; I use 50% during the day, and 20% during the night. The more hours I spend starring @ screens the more it affects my eyes. The backlight of our LCD LED and OLED and plasma screens is not a natural light.

There is no backlight in OLED: the pixel either turns on or off.

For computer use, install F.Lux - it will save your circadian rhythm, and perhaps also your eyes if you spend too much time in front of screens.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Watched "before sunrise" and "before sunset" from the trilogy (before midnight left to watch). Absolutely delightful movies and delicious filmmaking in the Ingmar Bergman tradition. How come I did not stumble on these hidden gems earlier.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Watched "before sunrise" and "before sunset" from the trilogy (before midnight left to watch). Absolutely delightful movies and delicious filmmaking in the Ingmar Bergman tradition. How come I did not stumble on these hidden gems earlier.

I enjoyed this trilogy much more than my wife did. Some of the dialog in Before Midnight was not as sharp as the first two. Amazing how these all tie together. The locations and cinematography and the feeling of one continuous shot was imaginative.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I enjoyed this trilogy much more than my wife did. Some of the dialog in Before Midnight was not as sharp as the first two. Amazing how these all tie together. The locations and cinematography and the feeling of one continuous shot was imaginative.

I think only the true (erstwhile) searcher and traveller can truly relate to these movies.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The first one is one of my all time fav movies. That said, while I enjoyed the 2nd one a lot as well, I could not get through the last one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This is inspiring, I should revisit. Only the last one from that trilogy I did not see.
________

Last night, a new revisit; The New World (2005) - the newly remastered (4K) Extended Cut which is almost three hours long (172 mins).
{The CC BR set contains three discs; three very different cuts, and an abundance of extras - it will take some time to explore them all.}

https://www.criterion.com/films/28713-the-new-world
_______

I'm a big Terrence Malick's fan. This is poetic cinema with moving pictures and music score to support. You let it take over and you flow with it; a unique experience for the senses through imagery of the imagination. Nature and human interaction play the large communal role. Dialog is secondary. It's like contemplating a painting without words. ...Like there is so time and space to criticize, but only to mesmerize @ the onscreen poetic cinema while gently sail adrift by the accompanying music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Malick

Overall (everything): 91.5 (total film experience with images and sound).
______

* Not for everyone; more for the true (erstwhile) searcher and traveler. :b ...The artist side inside the viewer and listener.
...For the ones who appreciate the creative art through the eyes and ears of a 'smooth' visionary.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

It was alright; a glimpse @ Miles' certain time period when he had the time to play with some people playing with him. ...Not necessarily music instruments.

"This free-form biopic of jazz musician Miles Davis depicts his attempts at a career comeback following a period of listlessness in the '70s, his relationship with a journalist who wants to profile him and his troubled marriage to a former dancer."

It was an easy and interesting ride into a guy known for his trumpet jazz contribution and unique personal exploration into the genre.
We would need many many movies to glimpse in greater depth into the artist, the star and his many many styles during his lifetime.

Overall: 67

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing