Page 229 of 229 FirstFirst ... 129179219220221222223224225226227228229
Results 2,281 to 2,288 of 2288

Thread: * Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    And I don't even know if I'd be making it for the remainder of this year alone.
    None of us do, regardless of our current age. That gets confirmed to me on a regular basis as we live in a 55+ community (well over 55 in most cases) and we lose friends and acquaintances on a regular basis.

I don't have the answer yet, but a question popped into my mind a few days ago: What would I do if I were told I had exactly one year to live and I would be perfectly healthy the entire time, and short of committing suicide, I would not live one day shorter - or longer.

The answer to that question, in my opinion, should at least be a template of how we live anyway. Sure, if you still need to work, you can't just quit your job, but I would suggest your time priorities should certainly be guided by that answer.

And no, I have not started living that way --- yet!!

Yesterday, we rented the DVD of "The Founder" because I was a cheap-skate and didn't think that this movie warranted the extra $0.50 for BluRay. I was wrong.

The movie itself was entertaining although predictable and forgettable. However, the Foley work and music was was superb right from the opening tones and on through the credits. It included a remix of "Spirit in the Sky" that made the DSD-remaster sound like crap.
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

Quote Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
    It included a remix of "Spirit in the Sky" that made the DSD-remaster sound like crap.
    Is that due to multi-channel in the movie and 2 channel DSD? If so, that is almost always the case. (In your case, I am preaching to the choir)

Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
    Is that due to multi-channel in the movie and 2 channel DSD? If so, that is almost always the case. (In your case, I am preaching to the choir)
    True but it much more than just that.
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
    None of us do, regardless of our current age. That gets confirmed to me on a regular basis as we live in a 55+ community (well over 55 in most cases) and we lose friends and acquaintances on a regular basis.

I don't have the answer yet, but a question popped into my mind a few days ago: What would I do if I were told I had exactly one year to live and I would be perfectly healthy the entire time, and short of committing suicide, I would not live one day shorter - or longer.

The answer to that question, in my opinion, should at least be a template of how we live anyway. Sure, if you still need to work, you can't just quit your job, but I would suggest your time priorities should certainly be guided by that answer.

And no, I have not started living that way --- yet!!
    There would be 7.5 billion different answers.
    _____

When I die and they lay me to rest
    Gonna go to the place that's the best
    When I lay me down to die
    Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    Gonna go to the place that's the best

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
    Gotta have a friend in Jesus
    So you know that when you die
    He's gonna recommend you
    To the spirit in the sky
    Gonna recommend you
    To the spirit in the sky
    That's where you're gonna go when you die
    When you die and they lay you to rest
    You're gonna go to the place that's the best

Never been a sinner I never sinned
    I got a friend in Jesus
    So you know that when I die
    He's gonna set me up with
    The spirit in the sky
    Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    I'm gonna go to the place that's the best
    Go to the place that's the best
    Last edited by NorthStar; 06-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

There are lots of news in the world every single day. ...About everything; entertainment, economics, social, culture, music, films, business, technologies, planets, stars, space, geography, wildlife, volcanoes, ...all that jazz. Every single day I am fully active intellectually and responsive to all my surroundings. I don't think I ever been more active than that in my entire life. Everything is touching me, everything is part of the totality. I have a 6th sense, in the sense that I am much more in touch with people and life. I feel deeply everything like never before. There are some subjects that I would love to share and discuss; for example, hacking, advertising, promoting, selling, buying, dealing, real estate, richest cities, travelling, vacationing, sailing away on the oceans, white beaches, turquoise waters, blue skies, yellow suns, multicolored flowers, tall trees, forests, jungles, what we can see during daylight above in the sky; like Venus, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars and Saturn, with the naked eye.
    ...If you know where to look exactly, and have an exceptional vision.
    _____

Last night, inside, with both my eyes, I watched this:

"A man (Dane DeHaan) must save his boss from a European spa that has sinister designs on its guests. Jason Isaacs and Mia Goth co-star.
    Directed by Gore Verbinski."

Music ♫ by: Benjamin Wallfisch

Recently I have been keeping a low profile on my movie watching. Not because I don't watch movies and documentaries anymore, but because I want to share the ones that make a real impact on me, good or bad.
    I don't care about the movie and music and all those critics of the advertising world industry. They have their own vision, their own aspirations, emotions, receptions, drives.

This film, A Cure for Wellness, is a cinema art masterpiece. You are not going to read this anywhere else but here from me. After all, this is my vision, my emotions, my life.
    It's a pure delight from beginning to end. The main premises are fantastic, the cinematography is sublime and majestic, the atmosphere enigmatic and electric, the actor's performances are scintillating. Brief, this is all movie magic, poetry moving on your screen and through your speakers.
    It's what real art cinema is all about...a voyage above the clouds, an out-of-body lift-up, a travelling journey in a discovered dimension of the moment in time as it unfolds.

I can go into great details from many shots, from the actors chosen to act in this film, with the director, the music score, everything, every scene, every smell, the earth, the air, the water, ...till you give up after you realise that I have just written a book about it. I sure did, it's all there in imagination more concrete than real life itself.

Feel very comfortable watching it with your wife, with your children, with your family, with your friends, or alone.
    It might not appeal to you, but you'd be intrigued why if that's the case.

Anyway, overall (mainly the film, the atmosphere, the moving camera shots, the music score, the acting, the magical mystery tour): 90

Last word: Recommended, very.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Once upon a time...one night before the last, in the darkness of it all ...

Overall (film delicacy): 69 (up to 79 depending of your age group and life's affinities and sensibilities).

It's violent (with 116 kills, many headshots...CGI), it's black with hues of blues, it's shining with polished images, it's choreographed very well with actors in very good physical shape, it's like a video game.
    ______

Technically? Is it important in a film where guns are prominently featured? You decide...the internet is packed to the bone.
    Keanu has resurrected the matrix in a different way, more in touch with the real world instead of science fiction. But that real world is just a film, ...like a video game. The humor (for some I presume, me included for sure) is pushed to the extreme. It's like a video game.
    It's totally different than a film like say...'Brooklyn' (2015) , or 'The King's Speech' (2010). It's more...like a video game, third time now that I'm saying that, a polished violent video game...picture and sound wise.

Last word: Wait till your wife go shopping...or sleeping on a rainy day...with the door closed tight.

Things to come ... no spoiler alert:

Now spoiler alert:

There are guns, all type. There is a Mustang, there are mirrors. The camera doesn't move crazy shaky like in Jason Bourne flicks (I cannot stand that).
    The music is ... energetic, very. Is it better than Rap? In my personal view; it's different, it's electronica, and...(hip-hop? ...bad disco?)...

______

"John Wick: Chapter 2 is a 2017 American neo-noir action thriller film directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad. The second installment of the John Wick series, the plot follows hitman John Wick, who goes on the run after a bounty is placed on his head. It stars Keanu Reeves, Common, Laurence Fishburne, Riccardo Scamarcio, Ruby Rose, John Leguizamo and Ian McShane, and marks the first collaboration between Reeves and Fishburne since appearing together in The Matrix trilogy."

It is the choreography that I've found the most impressive attribute in this flick. Choreography score: 89
    It's like . . . . a video game.

I re-watched John Wick: Chapter 2 last night.

. .

[spoiler] [/spoiler]
    _____
    _____
    _____

/// R.I.P. Michael Nyqvist (only 56-years old)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...was-56-1017014

He was in:
    - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo with Noomi Rapace (2009)
    - The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009)
    - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009)
    - Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
    - Europa Report (2013)

And of course he was in:
    - John Wick (the original first one, 2014):

He was also in:
    - The Girl in the Book (2014)
    - Frank & Lola (2016)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nyqvist
    Last edited by NorthStar; Yesterday at 08:29 PM. Reason: ...Some recent sad news

Page 229 of 229 FirstFirst ... 129179219220221222223224225226227228229