* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
P.S. Ron, 'John Wick' is another flick in the genre of 'Everly', except that a lot more people get eliminated, very quick, and sounds are coming from above (rain), because it's in Dolby Atmos.
Don't do in a man's dog, especially if the pooch has deep sentimental value. Heads will roll!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Was in NYC last night. While my wife was at a business dinner, I checked out The Avengers: The Age of Ultron, at Times Square. I don't see what the fuss is all about. 20 minutes 2 long and a plot as thin as a piece of rice paper. All action and no plot. A good rule of thumb for sci-fi films: the higher the number of robots, the worse the film. Here the film has about a million robots. Enough said.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
* Last night I revisited this one ::

That's one I like; the audio soundtrack, the music, the stylized color's palette, the character's state-of-mind, the visuals, Mila, Denzel, the plot, the development, the beginning, the conclusion, everything between, the old alone house with the old couple living in it in the middle of nowhere land, the storyline, the full concept, the directors, ...brief, I like it all.
>>> Good replay value; I had a ball again. It's the type of film that is atmospheric and philosophic both @ the same time. ...It's the journey.
This is a great demo disc. The gunshot sequences have incredible dynamics. You go from silence, background noises to shots that blow you out of the room if your system can handle it :D. It literally can be so dynamic as to scare people out of our reference theater at work. You can feel the shockwaves in your pant legs, no exaggeration! And the bright desert scenes add significantly to the experience.

And yes, the movie is good enough to be watchable. Not a great movie but certainly worth owning and watching.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Ron (Ronnie Earl) and John (The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky),

I was influenced by the youngsters over @ blurayforum; they all said that the bass was awesome (loud guns) and they all love looking @ Salma.
So it's my fault if I listened to the younger generations, but I'm honest and I warned you guys, people of my generation. ...Nothing there to see for old farts like us.

_______

* Last night I revisited this one ::

That's one I like; the audio soundtrack, the music, the stylized color's palette, the character's state-of-mind, the visuals, Mila, Denzel, the plot, the development, the beginning, the conclusion, everything between, the old alone house with the old couple living in it in the middle of nowhere land, the storyline, the full concept, the directors, ...brief, I like it all.
>>> Good replay value; I had a ball again. It's the type of film that is atmospheric and philosophic both @ the same time. ...It's the journey.

_______

P.S. Ron, 'John Wick' is another flick in the genre of 'Everly', except that a lot more people get eliminated, very quick, and sounds are coming from above (rain), because it's in Dolby Atmos.

I love The Book of Eli for the same reasons, Bob. I should watch it again...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Don't do in a man's dog, especially if the pooch has deep sentimental value. Heads will roll!

Ron, I can tell you watched 'John Wick'. ...What did you think of it? I'll wait for your comments before I commit myself. :b

_______

* 'The Book of Eli' is not the smartest of films around, ...it wasn't intended to be. ...But it sure packs a wallop. ...As Amir just said on its audio soundtrack.
Anyway, beats 'John Wick' in my book.

_______
_______

? Last night I watched this guy ::

- On Blu-ray (of course; I'm mainly a Blu guy, @ 99%), in original Korean language (DTS-HD MA 5.1) with English subtitles.
{It has also a dubbed English audio soundtrack, and in dts-HD MA 5.1 as well.}

Now this is an ocean epic film with great battles, fabulous wardrobes (costumes), powerful facial war expressions, lots of stamina, big CGI effects (has to or it would have cost way too much to make), great sound, great bass, and a nice picture quality with appropriate colors for the genre (outdoors theater choreography play).
The toughest part in a film like this is to understand the Korean spoken language; I cannot, so I had to engage the English subtitles, and no way that I was going to use the dubbed English soundtrack; first it's out of sync and two you simply just don't do that with original film's languages...it's not good/respectable culture. ...Way of speech.

It's tough because it takes your eyes off from the onscreen's main central location/attraction where the director concentrated his camera for the characters and action sequences.
So you lose the true perspective, you miss important details that sometimes appear quickly; your eyes are not totally engulfed to where they should be but more often than not @ the bottom of your screen's display.
...You know what I mean. But other than that I enjoyed the "ship" ride, and the new change of paste (from Hollywood boulevard).

Here's a short trailer:

<<<>>> If I had to rate it overall (storyline, casting, acting, quality picture & sound...hi-res multichannel audio and hi-def 1080p picture quality, decors, locales, props, costumes, color rendition, accuracy in its delivery impact wise, CGI and sound effects, music score, tra-la-la all that jazz) from zero to one thousand (0-1,000), my overall rating score for everything including dialog intelligibility would have been 689.77 ...give it a decimal fraction more or less...for accuracy sake. ...But remember, my score rating is only as good as the film I just attempted to rate. It might or it might not rock your ship the same, in particular if you were in that other ship, the enemy ship. :D

P.S. I might add this too, for even more accuracy in film scoring: From the first time you view a certain film and the overall impression you might have from it, ...the next day, or another day, that overall impression might differ/vary ever so slightly, ...just like in normal day-to-day life.
It's part of natural humanization in a movie critic way. ...Meaning that with time we evolve and our vision evolves as well. ...Usually for the best.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ron, I can tell you watched 'John Wick'. ...What did you think of it? I'll wait for your comments before I commit myself.
Anyway, beats 'John Wick' in my book.
I liked it, better than I should have by your hints. Not on par with Man on Fire or Taken for a revenge Mayhem flick. Course my favorite revenge film is still 'Manon of the Spring', one needs to see JdF first to appreciate it though.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I liked it, better than I should have by your hints. Not on par with Man on Fire or Taken for a revenge Mayhem flick.
Course my favorite revenge film is still 'Manon of the Spring', one needs to see JdF first to appreciate it though.

:b

_______

* 'John Wick' was cool, funny, and very effective. It's an action/comedy flick, and in that regard, for what it is, I wasn't in love with it the first time that I saw it (on Blu-ray), but after couple more repeated viewings I got the hang of it and saw its redemption as its flaws with better leveling clarity.
Yeah, it's about radical revenge, that's fo sur. ...Plot aside I thought that Keanu is in pretty good shape, like Tom (Cruise). ...The stunts (fight sequences) were the real deal.
- Technically (picture and sound quality): I found the images too dim, out of focus on several occasions, bad lighting in the discotheque.
The sound was just your regular gunshots @ close range, and some music tunes were fine with and in sync with all the "trauma" going on (gunfights).
There were few good moments,...just before we enter the pool scene (bartender girl, plus the cocktail waitress entering the pool), and when Willem got his long range rifle from his hiding wall and put it on his piano, in preparation...the music tunes @ those two instances. ...I liked.

_______

_______

'Man on Fire' with Denzel is a much better film, directed by Tony Scott. ... R.I.P.

'Taken' with Liam was fine. ...But only the first original one, not the two sequels.

Anyway, 'John Wick'; if I had to rate it overall (all aspects together) from zero to one thousand: 613.12

<<<?>>> Last night I revisited this one, in (((3D))) :::

* I love Ridley Scott, and his vision (artistic camera view) and the polished/detailed quality picture and sound in this film.

- Storyline: Ridley is an avant gardiste, in the present as in the past (film's depiction and own artistic interpretation).
He is an avid researcher, a true drawing artist, and a visionary in the pure visual sense of his researches with his collaborators.
I cannot criticize his vision, but simply move with it and be moved.

- Picture: Wow, a feast for the eyes, and in 3D I just love it. ...Everything; the colors, the details, the decors, the makeups, the props, the CGI effects, the actors, the love scenes, the interaction between our main character and his wife, his "Voice", his 'brother' in arms, his family. They all look great in front of the camera, in particular his wife (very pleasant for the eyes of the soul). ...The (((3D))) picture was great too, with depth that was above plain 2D. ...Magical...well done, loved it.

- Sound: The music is superb, the sound effects sophisticated, everything resonates with artistry and aplomb.

- Acting: It was ok, but funny too @ times. ...And @ other times it was just perfect...the kid ("Voice") for example (excellent performance, ...the best).

? I usually don't rate films, because I already just did above, but for the who who like numbers, from 0 to 1,000 => 709.99 ... 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'
{That's for everything; the overall impact, visually, auditory, technically, creatively, intelligibility, lines delivery, costumes, script, emotional remedies, time period, sandals they wear, CGI, 3D, ...all that jazz...the total experience in its entirety.}

______

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
'Man on Fire' with Denzel is a much better film, directed by Tony Scott. ... R.I.P.
Agreed plus the south of the border setting worked quite well.
'Taken' with Liam was fine. ...But only the first original one, not the two sequels.
Yes the first never viewed the sequels

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'American Sniper' last night, for the first time, on Blu-ray ::

=> Excellent! ...This film directed by Clint Eastwood is a very important film. ...Equally as important as 'Zero Dark Thirty' and as 'Lone Survivor' and as 'The Imitation Game' and as 'Saving Private Ryan' and as 'The Schindler's List' and as 'The Book Thief' and as 'Letters from Iwo Jima' and as 'Flags of our Fathers'. ...And others.

...Very well executed, very respectful, very honorary, very soul searching, very mind opening.

And technically there is no reproach. ...Impeccable all the way, and above duty. ...Acting, sound (Dolby Atmos), and picture; quality and integrity.

Sorry, but for a film of this important envergure/calibre there is no score rating attached to it; if you didn't see it yet, please just do...make the effort.

Clint Eastwood is one of the best/most important filmmakers of our times. ...Just as Stanley Kubrick was.
...And some other directors too, including Oliver Stone.

? It's not about War, it's about Peace.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited one of the favorites among few members here including Gary (Protein) ::
{And we all know how Gary is fussy with his film's selection; so when there is one that he liked we notice.} ;) ...And I liked it too, that I revisited it again.

* Alan Turing committed suicide @ age 41, only 16 days short of 42. ...Poison...from too much stress and too many prejudices, back then. ...Truly sad.
It is a fascinating story for sure.

Anyway the film is well lit with a good color palette (Blu-ray), for the actors to blend in. Yes, we can blend with colors in a more absorbing experience.
The story is well constructed and acted. The sounds and music are just right for this type of movie, nothing overwhelming and annihilating here. ...Alienating.
I love this flick; it invites to learn more.
It's an older film, by now, but still important nonetheless today.

I could probably write a very extensive post about it, but because it has been already discussed I'll keep it short just like it is.
For an overall score rating (on this Blu-ray); film, acting, camera rolling, music score, interest, technical merits (picture & sound quality): 789.68 out of 1,000

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night ::

* I enjoyed it; simple, three great actors, relaxing ride.
- My overall score rating (everything; storyline, acting, directing, locales, image and sound quality, music score, ...): 747.86 stars out of 1,000 stars.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Shackleton - A&E mini series

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last Days In Vietnam.

Outstanding documentary.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Another relaxing ride, with a simple storyline and excellent involvement with all the actors (five main ones, including the kids).
You enter this movie and you go along right there where it takes you.
The two kids are simply lovely, they steal all their scenes.
Very well recommended if you haven't seen it. ...My overall rating score: 727.69 stars out of 1,000

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Both True Grits
Hathaway & Coen

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
We watched 'The Imitation Game' on BR last night. :cool:

The-Imitation-Game-.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing