* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
King Kong 05 extended version. Really like this one Watts is excellent and Serkis does his schitck. Good balance between embathy for Kong and his wild brutality when he escapes. The ice scene is a hoot and the bugs in the first part were really creepy.
Highly recommended one should really view this one.

Watching the 4K UHD version tonight. One of these days I need to put "The Hateful Eight" into the player. Or wait until all Quintin's films are released in 4K UHD, since I will end up rebuying them again. LOL.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Apollo 13
I've always enjoyed this one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I was bored, ...

Yes I did, on regular Blu-ray, not UHD and not 3D.
Overall: 21

Last word: What was I thinking, ...nothing.

Attachments

• 7d49e479822879700ecc5c62c26b11b7.jpg
    7d49e479822879700ecc5c62c26b11b7.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wonder Woman

"When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, Diana, an Amazonian warrior in training, leaves home to fight a war, discovering her full powers and true destiny."

I watched this twice; first in 3D couple nights ago, and in 2D last night.
I prefer in 3D, more immersing, like being part of the story, of the characters, interacting with the actors and actresses, good and bad, interacting with WW, Gal Gadot, with the decors, sets, locales, CGI constructions.

This is quite a light DC flick in comparison to Marvel flicks...in general, and it helps too that our heroine is ... a woman; good for the feminine audiences. It has more devotions and emotions than distractions and blood. It also helps that the film's director is ... a woman.
You can tell and feel the overall different type of cinema vibes for an adventure/action flick from the comic books variety. ...Like Cat Woman, like Spider Man, with that woman's touch. I sure do anyway.

I wasn't greeted with wows and gifts from heaven, but the 3D picture quality and the audio soundtrack are mighty fine. It was light and delightful @ the same time, nothing too forced only slightly CGI emphasized on many occasions...a la Hollywood mode.

It was a fun experience @ the movies, @ home, with Gal, in 3D. ...Cool 3D effeX.

Overall (everything; film, 3D CGI, music, boom boom bass and Gal): 74
Gal alone = 94

Last word: Don't judge a film by its cover, fly in it with your emotions and all your heart. ...Recommended.
___

___

Extra: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...in-overseas-markets-in-a-decade/#744e9a3c4eb8

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

"Autobots and Decepticons are at war, with humans on the sidelines. Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth."

I viewed and listened to the 3D version last night.
It was like a ballet from outer space, absolute chaos for the senses.
It looked and sounded great. And the 3D was ... three-dimensionally immersive, very.
The music and sound effects were a festival of fireworks on the 4th of July, impressive and deliriously désintoxicant. It's a way of speech to say an ocean of assaulting electroshock waves.

@ two and half hours long you need nerves of chrome steel to be able to endure this celebration of colors and sounds. ...Radically.

Overall (film experience, mentally and physically): 71

• Film only (storytelling, acting, blah-blah-blah...) 21
• Technicality (CGI, 3D, camera movements, coloring, music score, sound blast effects): 91

Last word: Proceed @ your own risk. If you are weak and curious, like normal homo sapiens, you ain't out of the woods. ...In one word: Carnage.

So, why a score of 71 then? Because I love high-tech 3D and also because it is permissible.
It's for kids. Adults don't usually go there, unless curious and weak. :b

? In case you want to learn some: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_The_Last_Knight

"A spin-off/prequel, entitled Bumblebee, is scheduled for release on December 21, 2018. An untitled sixth film, a direct sequel to The Last Knight, is set to release on June 28, 2019."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I realise very well the extreme limited 3D audience here @ WBF. I do care a lot, if only one or two viewers.
This 3D flick above was adroitement mastered by Michael Bay, a 3D cinéma force to be reckon with in the year 2017.
Technical visuals in 3D are a tour-de-force; you are going to be blown away.
...The cars, the aerial cinematography, the visual compositions, our heroine (two of them) ... looking marvelous, the helicopter shots, the planes, the country side, the castles, the majestic decors, the robots texture and colors, some incredible 3D shots that you can tell the polished care that went thru them from a visual master perspective. Everything about the 3D visuals is top notch.

So, for the one or two here into 3D, you are in for a very special moving picture experience in visuals and sounds. It is impressive, without a doubt. ...Among the very Best.
Sir Anthony Hopkins is there too, in prime shape...acting wise.
And Laura Haddock:

_____

Last night just for the kick of it I revisited an old favorite, 'The Rock'.
...Another Michael Bay's flick. ...On Blu, of course.

Overall: 83

* Inspired by one of Marc's picture, a laser dicc laying on the carpeted floor of the attic.
Also because of North Korea and the mention recently of VX chemical gas in an article.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this last night, the Director's Cut, on regular Blu-ray (2D):

Overall: 96 (almost 97)

Last word: I can wait till 2049
Thirty- two years to go; I will be ninety some ... ;-)

P.S. I didn't comment because there are nine billion articles on the Internet.
And according to the latest, the newest UHD 4K HDR Blu release is a pearl to behold.
...With improved picture quality (details, colors, contrast, high dynamic range) and remastered audio (Dolby Atmos). And unfortunately, Warner Brothers did NOTHING for the regular 1080p Blu, zip, zero, nada.
With tax it is over fifty dollars (loonies) here in my country. And, in the US, if you can put your fingers on it, it is even more. It's a 4-disc set, with two Blus and two DVDs. ...Brief, it's a marvel (the 4K disc) and overall it's also a big rip off from WB studios; there is simply no two ways about it. ...Talk about pushing 4K down deep to our throats, till we choke to death real good.

But yeah, this is one of the best sci-fi flicks ever. I love the music score, the famous lines, the paysages...that all smoky/jazzy/rainy atmosphere.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night, another viewing of this underrated 2005 Terry Gilliam's flick:

It's a wild ride, with imaginative moving images, a landscaping painting, and starring Jodelle Ferland and Jeff Bridges among others. It's like a poetic dream journey. Some scenes are truly ... uniquely entertaining.
Oh yes, it is not for conventional state-of-mind well anchored reality; it is more for art visionaries...definitely.

"Tideland is a 2005 British-Canadian science fiction fantasy film co-written and directed by Terry Gilliam, an adaptation of Mitch Cullin's novel of the same name. The film was shot in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, and surrounding area in the fall and winter of 2004.

The film's title appears in dialogue written by Gilliam and co-writer Tony Grisoni in which Noah (Jeff Bridges) says, "Daddy's gonna stroll down that far subterranean shore, all littered with the flotsam of hopes and dreams. Relics of ancient times. Lonely cenotaphs. Standing along that melancholy tideland." In Cullin's novel, however, there is no such dialogue from the character of Noah, and the only mention of the book's title comes at the end of Chapter 21, last paragraph, when the first-person voice of Jeliza-Rose says, "Before sleep, the last sound to fill my ears was the beating of my heart, and I knew I was slipping past the tideland, going beneath the ocean and sinking away from What Rocks."

Overall: 87

Last word: Told you that it was underrated.
_____

I selected this trailer because the images are the best; other trailers are inferior.

...And the music.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have always wanted to sail the seven seas with good companions, humor, adventure, and exotic beaches.
...Plenty of coconuts, fruits, colors, palm trees, poisonous plants, amazing women from the Amazon jungles and coastal tribes.
_____

I got them all on Blu (all the Pirates), so I wanted to complete my set. Frankly I am just overwhelmed of boredom with poor sequels trying to just cash in. The Mummy was atrocious with Tom cruise (except for the lead actress, not the Mummy one), Transformers 5 better but still below decent, and Pirates 5 an excruciating Johnny Depp crucifixion. I cannot stand it any longer, but I love Geoffrey Rush, that's about that.

This describes well enough my take:

I don't feel to put much time and energy and words in this thing/think/thank Hollywood created for its audience/bank account.

Overall: 16

Last word: What was I thinking again...nothing, simply nothing...I just wanted to sail the seven seas and experience exotic adventures. That, I did not get. I am thru with this Series. ...No more Depp for me.

* Picture and sound quality on this Blu are shiny just fine, but there is nowhere else to go, so...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The mood was right, the atmosphere tangible, the presence musical; there was nothing in the air that could have prevented the presentation...it was destiny.

I watched this last night, on Blu-ray:

I was comfortably numb, relaxed and @ peace with my surroundings, including the entire world outside.

The music I love, the musicians, the guitar player, David Gilmour.
The sound quality for a recorded live outside rock psychhedelic music concert is first class. It is not a studio recording, it is LIVE.
The images quality moving on the screen of my living room brought me right there on stage with the audience. I was the frontman.

Overall: 89 ... Recommended, very.

Last word: Any Floyd's fan live only once.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
The mood was right, the atmosphere tangible, the presence musical; there was nothing in the air that could have prevented the presentation...it was destiny.

I watched this last night, on Blu-ray:

I was comfortably numb, relaxed and @ peace with my surroundings, including the entire world outside.

The music I love, the musicians, the guitar player, David Gilmour.
The sound quality for a recorded live outside rock psychhedelic music concert is first class. It is not a studio recording, it is LIVE.
The images quality moving on the screen of my living room brought me right there on stage with the audience. I was the frontman.

Overall: 89 ... Recommended, very.

Last word: Any Floyd's fan live only once.
You probably already know this, but ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-bXwpsVZg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to be perfectly honest; I was already experimenting with hallucinogens (LSD) and I was on it that day, during the televised broadcasting.
Please don't tweet it.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Two months ago I watched this on Blu-ray in 3D:
(((•))) http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=464116&viewfull=1#post464116

Last night I revisited it, in 3D again.
Nice replay value, you can only know when you do.

Overall (everything; film, acting, technical 3D effects, sound design and musical score, entertainment value): 70

Recommended (in particular in 3D, and the music score).
* 2D has the same great audio...movie music magic.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night, before midnight:

What a sweet fun ride it was ... the Music! ...The perfect antidote to a snake's bite.
It's fun action all the way, over-the-top with just the right amount.
Coolness factor is high, very.

Overall (all the way baby): 83 in 10th gear.
Very well recommended, entertainment of high calliver, no brakes, actors are in good form, very.
The music is the star here, and the ballet dancers dancing to its rhythm.

In a world of fast life and unforgiving natural elements and news that make you chew the rubber of your wheels, this is the cure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Can some films improve upon repeated viewings? Certainly.

I revisited last night, another Terry Gilliam's enchanted world.

Other films too improve upon repeated viewings; Blade Runner (1982) just as one example...for some people.

Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite imaginary film directors.
The charisma of his film's humor with the actor's performances is . . . highly intoxicating in its palpability, the signature of a master raconteur...moving imagery tableaux.

Overall (in the moment; what other time are we fully existing in?): 92

Last word: Some films are underrated, very. Why could that be...maybe because we are scared of unfamiliar territories, of unconventional poetic dreams, of the unknown, of the fear of fairy tales...?
I just don't know what others dream of, I can only visualise my own dreamy landscape where other's own vision suits mine, nobly with numbness and comforting smoothness. ...A solid recommendation to true film lovers, cinema aphrodisiac in search of an escape from a world of pain and harsh deceptions...the unbalanced reality of our world on Earth.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Revisited. It's not the great movie like the great wall, the actual Great Wall of China.
The film itself is a 20 out of 100, in my cinema book entertainment, the acting is forced, the stunts are forced, the CGI effects are forced, the monster dogs are viciously made of plastic and nitroglycerin.
Did I mention the acting was terrible.

Ok, this is a poor movie, directed by a master, Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Curse of the Golden Flower, The Flowers of War). So why is that, what's going on here?
Methinks it was a bad decision to bring American actors in Chinese cinema art; Matt Damon, Willem Dafoe and Pedro Pascal. The mix is completely lost in translation, and beyond; Matt Damon's accent is laughable.
The acting from these three actors is cardboard, pancake cheap from Ronald McDonald the Big Mac clown. That's my honest opinion.

So why did I decide to watch it again then, because it is truly and definitely bad.
One word: Dimension.

Films are stories, romances, dramas, messages that go to our heart, that touch our soul, that make us laugh and/or cry. This ain't no comedy but it feels like it with them three American actors in it, seriously flaw...all the way to the bank of America in China.

Dimension because the visuals in 3D are simply spectacular. The sound is also immersive with the Chinese drums. The depth alone of the moving images is a solid 98, out of 100.

The picture quality is pristine. ...And that to me is the real story, what grabs me from the very beginning to the very end, like a rainbow candy that you suck for couple hours.
And the drums; they are audiophile's music sound recording caliber.

So, from an artistic 3D point of view it cannot get better than this.
If you don't get trapped by the storyline and the acting you'll get out of it intact, or almost.

Do I recommend it? Are you kidding me, absolutely not!
This is strictly a 3D visual and auditory feast review. ...Nothing more, nothing less, a tour-de-force.
And don't you dare watching this film in 2D; that would be like a parjure. ...Perjury.

I am not including the trailer, because it's in 2D.
I am not including the tag line, because it ducks.
See it in 3D or go home.

And, it's not available in North America, but only from overseas. ...The 3D Blu-ray version that is.
America is simply not into arts, he is into money in ultra high definition...UHD.
___

Oh what the heck ...

___

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Wall_(film)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Yimou

The Great Wall

Budget: $150 million (Blade Runner 2049 = $150-185 million)
Box office: $334.5 million (Blade Runner 2049 = $95 million...so far)

_____

Bonus:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing