* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
The Imitation Game. Watched it with my kids and was explaining constantly. Great movie about something I had an interest in at one time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is not an easy film to explain, to kids and to anyone. It is super complicated and full of so many aspects in real history. ...If we want to go deep in the heart of the matter that is, with what has been written about it. It is not as much as the enigma machine itself and the decoder as it is about all the secrecy in the spy world plus the human principles which different people having different ideologies in times of our history and geographical locations.

It's a very challenging film to explain to our children.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game
____

Right now I am intrigued by the disparition of the crew from Argentina aboard their German submarine.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/world/americas/argentina-submarine-explosion.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'The Villainess' - Thanksgiving was last month for us Canadians.

It's violent @ times...the opening, some fast shaky camera style (not my mojo), some painful long and boring slow paste scenes, inconsistent, it didn't do it for me. And you cannot judge from the trailer, because it doesn't show those excruciating long slow moments. Yes some scenes are fast action with some different choreography than what we are used to see in America, it makes us curious to watch.

Overall: 55 ... Not for everyone fo shure. Exercise caution if you dare.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Two weeks since I posted in this thread.
I sure watched few flicks during that time, but nothing of value. Like soul value.
A pretty picture with cool sound effects and a pounding/pulverising bass track is not the end of the world anymore in the year 2018. ...Speedoman, War of the Apes, The Hitman's Bodyguard, American Assassin, Logan Lucky, Valérian and the City of a Thousand Planets (that one is top-notch in 3D), Despicable Me 3, T2 3D, ...and few more unexciting ones.

Last night, three episodes of this on Netflix:

It's new, it's German (the language I chose, with English subtitles), and I have more episodes to go before I commit a score. So far I'm still holding on...there are parts so so, and others keeping my interest on alert enough.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It was my least favorite of the three Despicable Me. But the animation and colors look ... ravishing.
For young families with kiddos, and the Minions for everyone; I like them too.

* I watched two more episodes of 'Dark. I'm not stopping now...till the end.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Romancing the Stone
Jewel of the Nile

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'Dunkirk' last night:

Humble moving experience, very.
Because there is almost no dialog, but mainly pictures with facial expressions, somber movements, survival mode, emergency atmosphere, desperation, music score of the highest caliber, ... the film has that more dramatic impact overall.

Nolan's vision captured the essential elements of a Mastercrafstmen from cinema poignancy.
The viewers, us, are enraptured in some important moments of history.

This is not a film you can explain with language; it's best being watched and heard.
It's an inner emotional transcription. ...Like a telegram you live, not read.

Overall (film, actors, locales, cinematography, music score, ...all that full cinema jazz): 93

Last word: Virtual reality for the soul.
___

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, only few more days and it's Christmas.
I'm in the spirit already, movie wise too, or so I thought...
Mother! ...The title sounds spiritual enough; family, love story about a mother and her enfant, ... Like the perfect Christmas movie for the family and lovers across the globe.

We all love Jennifer, she was very good on some flicks we like.
The film starts with her looking ravishing and we are ready for the best Christmas love story ever. If you are still reading this it's probsbly because like me you love great love stories.

Javier, her lover, a writer, a peaceful man and comforting, ...the perfect lover for Jennifer. And she's in love certainly, missing him by her bedside.
I admit, love stories remind me of my own love stories when I was very young and deeply in love. That's the power of films; to bring us back to our youth.

I watched it to the very end, even the rolling credits, which I recommend too.

Overall (film impact, love story, technical attributes, visuals, sounds, music, acting, everything...): 96
Highly recommended, but with a tactile cautionary tale for the sensitive few.

Last word: Mother! is no ordinary love.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mother!

I checked everywhere for a trailer, but I couldn't find any.
If you happened to find one, you might want to not look @ it.
Watch the film instead; that way the love story remains pure and intact without surprises.

It's a masterpiece of filmmaking by a true genuine cinema artist with a vision above the norm and the conventional. It's the same guy who also directed Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan, Noah. ...All films part of my movie collection...on Blu.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
One of my adult daughters is in town for Christmas so yesterday we watched two movies, one of which we could only find on YouTube. That was the claymation version of Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer done in 1969, narrated by Burl Ives. Brought back fun memories for us. We used our Apple TV box to view it on our family room TV.

The other movie was The Adjustment Bureau. I really liked that movie, which I had seen before as I own it but my daughter had not. It most certainly gets one to thinking about "free will" and other related topics.

The night before that, the entire family watched (on Netlflix) "The Case For Christ". Interesting movie. The book on which the movie was based, was written by a guy name Lee Strobel. His wife had converted to Christianity and he was not pleased (he was an atheist at the time). So he set out to prove her wrong, flew all over the place to talk to physicians, historians, etc and was confronted with some facts that forced him to change his views.

Watch with a truly open mind and you might be amazed! We were all taken back by the evidence that he discovered.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched Ridley Scott's 'The Martian' ... Extended Edition last night.
Then after that, I was still awake, I watched David Letterman, on Netflix...one on one with Barack Obama.

I did not notice the extra ten minutes from The Martian, only few very brief "oh, is that new?" moments.

It was both refreshing and normal peace of the human heart.

• The Martian Ext. Ed.: 85
• Letterman/Obama: 85

Last Word: One guy lived on the red planet, another guy lives on another planet.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
King Solomon's Mines

King Solomon's Mines
'04 I think. Originally a Hallmark mini series, I believe. Liked this one a lot. It's amost 3 hrs. Brought back memories of growing up with the Stewart Granger version. Swayze, IMHO is very good in the lead role as are all the actors.

dabwolf

Jan 15, 2018
Just watched Flatliners, well, attempted to watch it at home by myself, but got too creeped out to finish.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing