* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched La La Land (first time) last night:

I've heard so much about it plus I watched the Oscars ... tra-la-la ... and the wrong red envelope's fiasco, lol

I enjoyed it, very. It was relaxing, sweet and romantic. I liked the camera work, the decor sets, the locales, and the colors' vibrancy.
Our two lovers complemented each other perfectly. The chemistry was right, the acting/interacting were very fine.
The music performances were joyful, well executed.

Overall: 88 ... I find Emma Stone very charismatic and easy to love. She radiates simple truth.

* I don't write too many words this time around because the internet is packed. Trailers abound by the dozens, pictures, video clips, interviews, etc.
It's almost like a Disney ride on Hollywood boulevard on a summer evening checking the jazz cabarets.
...And waking up in the morning without a hangover, ready to dance the daylight anywhere.

There are few memorable scenes that swing pleasantly in the consciousness, like stars suspended from silk strings @ the moon's pointed croissant.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
From 'La La Land' to 'Pandora's Land' ...

Few days ago there was news on the latest "official" release dates for Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5
That sure got my attention and interest. I shared the news right here, in case others might be interested too and that they missed it.

This is the version I decided to revisit last night. It adds sixteen minutes to the theatrical release; it is three-hours long.
I had no idea, no clue that my curiosity would bring me back in revisiting it. And surprisingly enough I went for the 2D extended edition instead of 3D.

Because I also bought, years ago, those versions as well:

3D ?
... And the first, 2D (theatrical) ?

Anyway, I went for the long version this time around and in 2D. And I am no more a fan of Avatar than say Lawrence of Arabia, or Lord of the Rings trilogy, of La La Land, Once Upon a Time in America, ...

My overall rating score (for the full version, picture, sound, film's immersion in 2D, ...everything I saw on my screen and heard in my room): 80
______

So, what's new? Here's what's new; from the first moment it started playing again I was trapped, and it got more intense too with the colors, the effects, the changes from scene to scene. It is impossible to be unaware of the tremendous work that went through this film. Yes, computers were used extensively, the color palette, the special effects, the attention to details, the actors/actresses' commitment, the directorial master grip. Or you go to Pandora or you don't; you let yourself free of being engulfed or you simply don't accept the reality of a science fiction/fantasy illuminati in Pandora's world.

In general the film was quite appreciated by the masses, with $2.8 billion worldwide @ the box office...the most biggest pay day check ever in the cinema history of all times.
I only mention it as a fact. But to me it don't matter if it made one dollar or one trillion.
What surprised me the most is that I was re-experiencing it on another new level, an appreciative value of all the people who work on it with amazing tenacity and time.
It was all there in front of me, on the screen. The first hour was the best, the rest became more deja vu and less interest grabbing, but nonetheless complementary.
Some scenes were better recreated CGI effects speaking, others less so. But for a 2009 flick it is still a tour-de-force. The jungle steals my eyes and spirit and runs with them in abandon. The aliens (blue people) living in it are a good bunch. The humans living outside of it with their walls, and wanting the blue people's most precious treasures (oil <> unobtanium) so that they can dictate from the power of the riches, are not a good bunch; they are killers, women/children killers.

'Avatar' ...you might want to say is a grotesque low life sci-fi flick directed by an addict and tormentor, a world that doesn't exist outside of reality (c'mon, tall blue people living under a giant tree!), men fighting against aliens, against other races, wanting their things, wanting to break their culture, their ways of living, for stealing their resources, without caring @ all for peace, for respect, for true values of prosperity for all things living, moving, existing; and it just doesn't make sense, it has nothing to do with real life and with real people, and it's just a very bad film with a poor script and terrible acting and ridiculous flying dragons and full of CGI blue aliens from another planet, from out of space, from the other side of the wall, and it's all fine in everyone's vision because it's only a movie made by computers run by young artists working in the entertainment movie industry, and you might have a valid point there.

'Avatar' is an escape world into our own reality world. It's the vision of all artists working and watching and living yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Yesterday I was living, reliving in 2D Pandora's world. Tomorrow I'll be living in another higher and better and closer 4-dimensional world. ...The real one, between life and death.

Films they can do that sometimes to people, even from repeated viewings; it all depends on how we feel @ the time, plus the real work that went through it as seen in front of our own very eyes, without any lies, no bull, no distractions, no nothing but the real thing.

Who are we? Who are you, are you a blue people or a someone else? :b There's one way to find out for good; in the human history books of our best libraries...or in the jungles still standing of our planet. There's no wonder that man is looking for other planets to habitat and rehabilitate.

3,000 years from now we'll be (many) living avatars inside other people's bodies with the mind of our own bodies. We'll be identified from our 3D implanted DNA micro computer chip under the skin of our neck's back. We'll fly first class to other planets from other galaxies without credit cards and passports.

I could write a review about the replay value of 'Avatar' on Blu-ray 2D extended edition that I revisited last night, but I simply won't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZjWrNm0E4tw/WPGbRqG-AKI/AAAAAAAAL4o/fDUsIAXX41wQpmHLl4q1NgITHV2iCLUjwCLcB/s400/2%2BThe%2BFounder%2B%25282016%2529%2BAudio%2BLatin o%2BVersion%2BFinal.jpg

After watching this film, without knowing the exact magnitude of truth, it sure made me search.
It's a great film with excellent acting and another impeccable performance from Michael Keaton.
Yes, it is based on its real history and it truly reflects this world we live in. It is @ the same time cruel/unhealthy and makes us reevaluate the values of teamwork for the true benefit of our societies. This is a lovely film that also makes us think....

There is a lot to digest in this voyage. Few documentaries have been made, perhaps you saw one or two. Perhaps you too have been driving thru to get a Big Mac once.

I think all the members here are going to love this film, for one reason or another.
Overall rating (grip): 77 ? Music by: Carter Burwell (you are going to love the music score and bits).

Last word: 'Frenchise' me. ;-)
_____

This Blu-ray is not in 3D, it's in 2D. It is not in 4K/UHD, it is in 2K/1080p HD. And it's all perfectly fine by me. It won't wow you, but it will grab you, with a solid grip. I could have wrote a very long comment on its overall impact (film, acting, music...), but the best is to let you experience the ride for yourself; you'll be glad you did...trust me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Back on December 05, 2016 ( http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...untress-(2016)&p=423498&viewfull=1#post423498 ),
and also on February 08, 2017 ( http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ial-HD-Trailer&p=434930&viewfull=1#post434930 ),
Steve mentioned one movie:

I watched it last night; superb!

"A 13-year-old Mongolian girl named Aisholpan Nurgaiv strives to become the first female in her culture to learn to hunt alongside a trained eagle. As she prepares for an annual eagle-hunting competition, she must also deal with the disapproval of several tribal elders. Directed by Otto Bell."

Overall (film): 84
Technically they were not using 8K high-def cameras the size of large IMAX cameras, so don't expect 'La La Land' polished Hollywood picture, and they didn't use state-of-the-art sound recording mixing consoles, they didn't hire Hans Zimmer as the conductor of the music score with full orchestra and Lisa Gerrard for vocals - but the cinematography and audio are "you-are-there" poignant presence nonetheless, it's in the faces, the costumes, the environment, the culture, ...the magic.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_Huntress

Remember too; it's a men's tradition (father & son), and one father breaking free of that tradition, with the first woman, his young daughter. So it has power.

Last word: Highly recommended. And thank you Steve.
_____

Bonus:

In another thread (music listening) I posted a little extra; I'm re-posting it here too:

Extra: Time measurement

Say average life's expectancy is 85 years.
Say you are 40-years old; you have 16,425 days left.
Say you are 60-years old; you have 9,125 days left.
Say you are 65-years old; you have 7,300 days only left.
A baby born and by the time he/she reaches 20, 7,300 days would have expired.

We all know how fast children grow.
We all know how fast a day goes by.
We all know that there are not enough hours in a day, from morning to evening.
We spend the third of our life sleeping. We spend time driving, lawn mowing, repairing broken things, etc.

In our mind we are not immortal, in physics we are even less.

That's one way we can measure time. There is simply not enough time in our life.

How can we expand time? One way is to take it, take our time (enjoying listening to music for example, hiking, travelling, film watching, ...),
another is to give it, some of our most precious one to the next ones after us, by sharing it with loved ones and everyone else who see the value in time.
...Pass it along wisely to the next generations, our best time.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Viewed 'the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' again.
Fincher's take. Haven't seen it in awhile. Wish they took a stab at the other two films. Mara and Craig are quite good in their roles. Curious how the casting would have been for step dad and brother.
It's a well produced film but there just something about the original extended films.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It has been a while since I saw Heat (1995) from Michael Mann on Blu-ray.
Last night was an opportunity...with this brand new Director's Definitive Edition, remastered from 20th Century Fox. ...And supposedly supervised by the director himself. My original BR version is from Warner Brothers.

I don't know what happened, how from WB Heat ends up with FOX, and a different, darker tone overall; different picture (colors and contrast).
Someday I might watch all the new supplements from the second disc.

Did you ever bought something on the spur of the moment, like some type of fatal attraction?
You already know what's to know but you succumb anyway like a child who find a quarter @ the outside skating ring in the spring, bending down to grab it.

Maybe next time they'll try in 4K? Meanwhile they got my money, FOX studios in Hollywood (distributor's change).

Keep your Warner Bros version, forget about FOX. I should have known better. If you don't have that title, it'll cost you only eight bucks.
Great flick by the way; from Warner Brothers original Blu (I prefer a brighter picture): 83

* This new "double dip" is obsolete today in a 4K world, IMHO. I just don't know anymore what's happening in this movie industry sometimes.
There will be more Heat, in 4k and in Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We never take stuff too seriously or personal; if we do it's easy to end up in a world of pain.
When we were studying @ school we had teachers who were encouraging us @ what they saw positive.
And we had teachers, and principals, who were criticizing on a personal level.

A good teacher is important, and not all teachers are important.
A good writer is important, and ...
A good film is ...

I was riding this film without having any clue other than I knew it was well received.
If I thought it was for kids I was dead wrong.

It's hard to not draw comparisons and related life experiences from it. And the more it progresses the harder it gets.
This is no ordinary film, it wasn't written by an ordinary person. There are some powerful essences in it, and painful too, just like in true real life with the people all around the globe.

I don't even know Conor's real name, but he is top notch in his acting.

"A young boy (Lewis MacDougall) befriends a wise tree monster (voiced by Liam Neeson) while coping with bullying and the terminal illness of his mother (Felicity Jones). He moves in with his grandmother (Sigourney Weaver) as his mom's condition deteriorates, and uses his imagination and friendship with the monster to escape reality. J.A. Bayona (The Impossible) directed this fantasy drama."

It's a deep psychological fantasy world very present in the reality of many. It requires more viewings.
Anyone can find some images that they can relate closely to.

The picture is fine, the spoken words understandable, the music and sound effects present.
The story blends with the acting, very well orchestrated with visual animations. The various messages are important and true.
Yes, it's a powerful movie with powerful acting from the heart and soul.

I wasn't expecting this experience (a film is impacting for me when I listen to the music @ the end of the rolling credits without even looking).
And I know that I need to revisit it.

Overall: 83

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In real life many who are running free have no real business in our society; they are like rats.

This too I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it, a lot. And I think the advanced elite here will like it too, no matter their age...from 22 to 92.

"An uncompromising and formidable lobbyist (Jessica Chastain) takes on the powerful gun lobby in the wake of several mass shootings, but her mission quickly becomes a frustrating ordeal that threatens to derail her career. Mark Strong, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alison Pill, John Lithgow, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Sam Waterston co-star in this drama directed by John Madden (Shakespeare in Love)."

I was entertained by the vivacity of our heroine and her entourage.

Music by Max Richter

The first tune @ the end when the rolling credits start (not that one above); your front flankers are going to love it.
The film follows that impact, in the lower registers, acting wise and development as we go along.
The casting is impeccable, in my view. The dialog is razor sharp and incisive. No words are wasted. Whoever wrote the script must had fun writing it.

I had no clue what I was going for before seeing it; I just like Jessica Chastain as an intelligent and talented actress; she has charisma no doubt, and very very red lipstick.

I don't know if a trailer can give any idea; I think not:

Whoever you work for can set you free or in jail. :b

Overall (film, entertainment, and technical visuals and audio - dialog): 76 (recommended).

Last word: Written by Jonathan Perera

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

From the same film director (Paolo Sorrentino) who directed:

_____

"Two aging, lifelong friends; an accomplished composer Fred (Michael Caine) and a filmmaker Mick (Harvey Keitel), vacation at a retreat in the Alps. While Mick hurries to finish his newest screenplay, Fred has sank into a self-imposed retirement. Fred's daughter (played by Rachel Weisz) joins them on the retreat as the two men reflect on their lives and the little time they have left to create something meaningful. Paolo Sorrentino directs this heartfelt existential drama."

This is pure cinema/music art of high caliber here, very. One of the greatest movie watching/music immersion ride experiences I had recently.
It's an abstract painting with brush strokes well artistically executed from a magic color palette. The abstraction is articulated in a sincere and beautiful reality that is deeply penetrating in the imagination of our soul. It speaks to us as if living it in the moment, magical.

This is a Must See film, period. To not see it is to not know the grandeur of cinema and music missing in our lives, one of the essential essences...IMHO.
I just loved it, all of it. Superbly acted, magnificently filmed, and beautifully recorded (music).

Overall: 92

Last word: Underrated...big time by many critics.
This is WBF's class audience film genre, IMO.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I revisited an old favorite, 1999 film/music documentary directed by Wim Wenders and starring Ry Cooder and the musicians from Cuba.

"A group of legendary Cuban musicians, some as old as their nineties, were brought together by Ry Cooder to record a CD. In this film, we see and hear some of the songs being recorded in Havana. There is also footage from concerts in Amsterdam and New York City's Carnegie Hall. In addition, many of the individual musicians talk about their lives in Cuba and about how they got started in music."

This is not in 4K, this is not in 3D, this is not on DVD, this is on Blu-ray 1080p from The Criterion Collection.

I'm sure many of the members here have it in one or two formats; CD, DVD Audio, DVD Video, Blu-ray Video, High-Res Audio, Double LP (I have the first 4).

Oberall: 89

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I watched this, on regular Blu:

And last week I watched this, in 3D:

_____

Logan :: The Wolverine, played by the charismatic Hugh Jackman. Who wouldn't wish to have razor blades coming out of his knuckles when some bad people start to mess around with the wolverine? And, dodge the bullets directly to his body and heal almost instantly?
Overall: a solid 70 (different approach, a pleasant change on character's emphasis, bad camera work on some action scenes).

xXx: Return of Xander Cage :: Vince Diesel, xXX, another lovely character with impossible stunts. This is way over the top, with some extremely boring scenes. It's all fun though, a ride for the calibrated few.
Overall: a fun 60 (I had to think twice less for this one).

______

I give my minimal impression this time around, because I wasn't impressed enough.
Last word: Logan you are most likely to prefer over xXx ... no doubt. Youth above is a much better film than them both.
* Technically they both look and sound pretty. That's their best attributes, with colors coming out of xXx like orange rainbows from Guadeloupe, a master French abstract painter on vacation.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Black and white films, like 'Logan', makes it a little less violent...without the red blood. Still, three blades going through people's skulls is graphic, and more.
Don't see it with your wife, children, friends you love and respect with peaceful lives, just like John Wick. Those are for violent kids lost in a world of deception and false values, raised by parents who just don't know better, without a good education.

And if you think America doesn't like violence in their films, think again.
Violence in films is an escape door, a way to liberate people's thoughts of vengeance.
And it leads to guess what? That's right, more violence in real life. It's like a brainwash, a freight train, a tank's assault, a compensation.
It's like a trap that you can't get out of it, like a no free zone, like an attack from the air, a bomb dropped, an invitation to a nightmare.

You can tell which people prefer violent films over peaceful ones, easily. Hang around with peaceful crowds, you'll gain much more in life.
Hey, films they can do that, influence people for the worst or the better. Would you like some proofs of that?

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Bourne Legacy again. I've always liked this one. It's parallel timeline to Ultimatum was a nice touch along with Keach and Glenn. The chase in Manila is an interestingly edited stretch. The Larx agent is relentless.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Ron,

Check the camera work (movement) from this scene:

Like me you weren't bourne yesterday (pun intended), and even before me.
For this film (the 4th), the Bourne franchise Series (five of them), Matt didn't want to return because his director wasn't there. So they hired Jeremy.

"The Bourne Legacy is a 2012 American action thriller film directed by Tony Gilroy, and is the fourth installment in the series of films adapted from the Jason Bourne novels originated by Robert Ludlum and continued by Eric Van Lustbader, being preceded by The Bourne Identity (2002), The Bourne Supremacy (2004), and The Bourne Ultimatum (2007). Although this film has the same title as Van Lustbader's first Bourne novel, The Bourne Legacy, the actual screenplay bears little resemblance to the novel. Unlike the novel, which features Jason Bourne as the principal character, the film centers on black ops agent Aaron Cross (played by Jeremy Renner), an original character. In addition to Renner, the film stars Rachel Weisz and Edward Norton.

The titular character Jason Bourne does not appear in The Bourne Legacy, because actor Matt Damon chose not to return for the fourth film, due to Paul Greengrass not directing. Bourne is shown in pictures and mentioned by name several times throughout the film. Tony Gilroy, co-screenwriter of the first three films, sought to continue the story of the film series without changing its key events, and parts of The Bourne Legacy take place at the same time as the previous film, The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).

In The Bourne Legacy, Aaron Cross is a member of a black ops program called Operation Outcome whose subjects are genetically enhanced. He must run for his life once former CIA Treadstone agent Jason Bourne's actions lead to the public exposure of Operation Treadstone and its successor Operation Blackbriar.

Filming was primarily in New York City, with some scenes shot in the Philippines, South Korea, Pakistan, and Canada. Released on August 10, 2012, the film received mixed reviews, with critics praising the story, James Newton Howard's score, and Renner's performance, but expressed disappointment in Matt Damon's absence, as well as the lack of shaky camera work (a key element of Greengrass' directorial style) that the second and third films had used. The film was followed in 2016 by Jason Bourne, in which Damon and Greengrass reprised their earlier roles."

It's funny that wiki mentioned "lack of shaky camera work" a la Greengrass' style.

The video clip I posted above also uses fast camera movements, and it too, in this director's style gave me bad headaches.
I won't mince my words: I detest this type of action filming, with a solid passion. Other scenes fare much better, but overall it just don't rock my boat gently.
I like the opening, up that mountain.

[I couldn't find a proper clip with picture quality, and sound included - youtube could be brutal sometimes, like just above.]

Anyway, the 4th installment was without its regular actor and director; and the shaky camera work is still there, just not as shaky but still aching.

My favorite is the first one, 'The Bourne Identity' directed by Doug Liman. With Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Brian Cox, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje.
Music by John Powell.

The last one, 'Jason Bourne, is my least fave.

I disagree with most movie critics on the first three Bourne films. Not like a lot, by roughly 20%
As for the shaky camera style, not my cup of tea @ all, and it'll affect my opinion.

:b I'm just like an arrow, flying straight with a slight bend due to the wind factor.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I feel the same. Matt's latest is the worst for me. Didn't this hectic camera work start with the Batman reboots? I like the science aspect enhancement thread of the film. Commentary makes it seem as if it's not total BS.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ron, I found this; it's the first time ever that I searched, looked and read ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaky_camera

"Too much shaky camera motion can make some viewers feel distracted, dizzy or sick."

It sure does to me, and that's why I mentioned it each time that a cameraman uses it with the approval of his director.
Because I noticed it right away and feel sick, very dizzy. And when I feel dizzy that's no good movie experience for me, no matter the film.
I simply despise this sick camera technique. Kids might like that with their violent flicks and games but Bob (me) with a cinema history background (school and life studies) and photography experience (dark rooms, compositions, fluidity, acids, etc.) is not the type of guy impressed with it; zero interest as there is no relaxation. And art wasn't meant to be stressful and making a person sick but to be pleasant, beautifully shot and smoothly relaxing, peaceful.
It's like a book on War & Peace, a film about Violence or Non-Violence. Films and pictures (about war, fights, boxing, kung fu, guns, ...) can be viewed smoothly and peacefully with a much greater emotional impact than staccato jumping frames where you see nothing but only dizziness.

No thank you very much but no thanks, not my cup-a-soup.

The type of camera movements I truly like is in films like 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and 'Lawrence of Arabia'. ...Just as couple examples smooth like that.
The cineastes where I'm coming from are the true genuine artists compositors, the maestro cameramen with the eyes of real artists in film/photography compositions and smooth panning, moving, creativity. If there is an action scene I believe it's best to see it as in real life...clearly with all the movements (people, cars, wildlife, nature, ...) as smooth as possible...with some scenes excelling in slow motion.

It's the same with my music listening; I cannot stand destructive music like Hard Core Heavy Metal with lyrics of killing, hurting, violence to the extreme.
Kids stuff with no direction home.

I'm getting tired of all the violence in films, I need to be more discerning, like I am with Blues, Classical, Jazz and Tango music.
My soul feels so much better and I don't have much time ahead of me, less than 5,000 days if I'm lucky enough @ the very best.
And I don't even know if I'd be making it for the remainder of this year alone.

I took a stroll earlier with a good friend neighbor (a woman), and she said to me that her dog (he has cancer) won't probably make it till the end of the year.
I replied to her; I don't know if I'll be making it myself. I won't go there, but it's real. And like she replied back to me; we're all going to extinct eventually, soon enough. She's exactly the same age as I.

Anyway, shaky camera style is killing me faster, and I just don't need it. :b

Criticism

"Sign at an AMC theater warning customers about side effects relating to motion sickness due to the shaky camera technique being used in Cloverfield.
Several films have been criticized for excessive shaky camera technique. The second and third installments of the Bourne action film franchise directed by Paul Greengrass were described by film critic Roger Ebert as using both shaky cam and fast editing techniques. Ebert did not mind it but many of his readers complained—one calling it "Queasicam". Film professors David Bordwell and Kristen Thompson described the development of the technique over 80 years of cinema and noted that Greengrass used more than the usual shaky camera motion to make it intentionally jerky and bouncy, coupled with a very short average shot length and a decision to incompletely frame the action."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing