Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Revisiting ' A Beautiful Mind '
Crowe is remarkable
Connelly is just beautiful
Bettany is a riot

This movie is quite clever in how it presents what and how Nash thinks and sees. IMHO

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ron, I don't know why...I have a strong sense of déjà vu...Ron Howard's
'A Beautiful Mind'
And another film that is errant in the space of my mind...'The Imitation Game', about Alan Turing, the British mathematician.
_____

I went to see Blade Runner 2049 @ the movie theater, in 2D.
It was very good; an escape from fiction into reality. ????

Overall (everything, film's atmosphere): 77

Last word: I won't make it till the next sequel; in the year 2049 or 2052 (thirty-five years from now).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'The Theory of Everything' ... I should revisit, soon.

I revisited that last night.

It's a solid three and half stars replay value (70).
_____

And the night before last: 'War for the Planet of the Apes' ... in 3D.
...A science-fiction adventure drama with a romantic soap opera overtone.
I deviated from the masses because that is what I truly saw with my very own eyes and heart.

Overall: 25

Last word: What is it happening in Hollywood!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The mood was right, the atmosphere tangible, the presence musical; there was nothing in the air that could have prevented the presentation...it was destiny.

I watched this last night, on Blu-ray:

I was comfortably numb, relaxed and @ peace with my surroundings, including the entire world outside.

The music I love, the musicians, the guitar player, David Gilmour.
The sound quality for a recorded live outside rock psychedelic music concert is first class. It is not a studio recording, it is LIVE.
The images quality moving on the screen of my living room brought me right there on stage with the audience. I was the frontman.

Overall: 89 ... Recommended, very.

Last word: Any Floyd's fan live only once.

? https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...g-david-gilmour’s-solo-live-return-pompeii-4k

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

"Autobots and Decepticons are at war, with humans on the sidelines. Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth."

I viewed and listened to the 3D version last night.
It was like a ballet from outer space, absolute chaos for the senses.
It looked and sounded great. And the 3D was ... three-dimensionally immersive, very.
The music and sound effects were a festival of fireworks on the 4th of July, impressive and deliriously désintoxicant. It's a way of speech to say an ocean of assaulting electroshock waves.

@ two and half hours long you need nerves of chrome steel to be able to endure this celebration of colors and sounds. ...Radically.

Overall (film experience; [strike]mentally[/strike] physicality - eyes and ears): 71

• Film only (storytelling, acting, blah-blah-blah...) 21
• Technicality (CGI, 3D, camera movements, coloring, music score, sound blast effects): 91

Last word: Proceed @ your own risk. If you are weak and curious, like normal homo sapiens, you ain't out of the woods. ...In one word: Carnage.

So, why a score of 71 then? Because I love high-tech 3D and also because it is permissible.
It's for kids. Adults don't usually go there, unless curious and weak. :b

? In case you want to learn some: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_The_Last_Knight

"A spin-off/prequel, entitled Bumblebee, is scheduled for release on December 21, 2018. An untitled sixth film, a direct sequel to The Last Knight, is set to release on June 28, 2019."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

? https://www.soundandvision.com/content/transforming-transformers

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Age of Adeline
Excellent film IMHO. Some find it slow or a chick flick. That's part of its charm, Ignore their comments. Well acted, written and directed. Lively is very believable in the role. I can't see anyone else playing this part. She owns it.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
NorthStar: With the many thousands upon thousands of movies you must own, have you ever considered a "movie server" or something like Kaleidescape to be able to easily access and play any of your movies electronically versus trying to find one in all of the ways you have them physically stored?

Just curious.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
NorthStar: With the many thousands upon thousands of movies you must own, have you ever considered a "movie server" or something like Kaleidescape to be able to easily access and play any of your movies electronically versus trying to find one in all of the ways you have them physically stored?

Just curious.

Hi Chuck,

Some people keep adding albums to their LP collection...like Michael Fremer for example.
Other people keep adding films to their Blu-ray movie collection...like Bob for example (me).
If you ask Michael Fremer to play a particular album from his vinyl music collection he will find it.
And the same with me from my Blu-ray movie collection.
It might take more than few minutes sometime, but the visual search from a physical library is part of the experience. It sure is for me; it could be challenging, but always fun nonetheless.
And I bet it is similar for Michael Fremer, and for many others with large physical music and movie collections.

I'm pretty good on how I organise them; I can still live with that.

I'm all for music and movies servers; it's just something that has not taking over...I only use rarely.
____

I revisited this last night:

I love classical music, and I love Pink Floyd. I put everything else aside when I'm into it, and my mind drift from my best memories.

Recommended.

* The space we comfortably live in is the space within...the forest.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Revisiting ' Hacksaw Ridge '
Garfield is quite good but my money is on Hugo. His portrayal as Doss's WW1 damaged father sets in stone the main char's mindset as very believable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree Ron; his Dad was the foundation of his uprising. The interaction he had with him during that event when he almost killed his brother, and afterwards. ...His Dad's own war experience and the friends he lost, the damage done by the ravages of war @ a young age, the alcoholism that came later on, the internal conflicts materializing and impacting the family in real life, the NO to war, his mother's suffering due to his dad's alcoholism...war demons, ... That was powerful enough to realise and choose his own destiny.

Powerful film, powerful scene when his dad came to court. Hugo is a first-rate actor, emotionally transmitting, believing, convincing, fundamentally solid.
He is the gel that glue the essence.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night was Halloween indeed. And I bet everyone was costumed and walking the neighborhood to fill their plastic pumpkin with candies. I mean with their young kids, or grand kids, or grand grand kids. And on Halloween it's always a good time to watch the perfect film. It takes us out of the TV channel news.

I revisited this flick:

It's a cool flick, funnily constructed.
Overall: 66

Last word: Several young members here (and older ones too) would like it...definitely...I did. Good replay value @ this time of the year.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Revisiting ' Black Hawk Down '
Seems appropriate 11th coming up

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

"American Honey is a 2016 British drama road film written and directed by Andrea Arnold. The film stars Sasha Lane, Shia LaBeouf and Riley Keough. The film follows Star (Lane), a teenage girl from a troubled home, who runs away with a traveling sales crew who drive across the American Midwest selling magazine subscriptions door to door."

This another teenager actors movie, and why not, because it's a good one.

First, this is a 1.33:1 screen aspect ratio; that's right, back when we had our old 4:3 tube TVs. Two, the camera work is camera verity; shaky, unpolished, perfect.
Three, the film is 163 minutes long. Four,
Budget: $3.5 million
Box office: $1.8 million

Camera: Arri Alexa XT, Panavision Primo, Super Speed and Ultra Speed Z-Series Lenses
Arricam LT, Panavision Primo, Super Speed and Ultra Speed Z-Series Lenses (some scenes)

Negative Format: 35 mm (Kodak Vision3 200T 5213) (some scenes)
Digital

Cinematographic Process: ARRIRAW (3.4K) (source format)
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Spherical (source format) (some scenes)

Printed Film Format: DCP

* https://shotonwhat.com/american-honey-2016
___

This is a slow moving experience; character driven in simplicity with a simple script. It's a ride inside a van across the USA, with many stops, some music tunes, ...life as it is.
There is nothing special about grabbing you; that's one of the reasons you keep watching without let go.
And the full ride is worth it, very. ...For its true simplicity, and moving alongside just fine with the superb cast of young actors putting their simple heart and love into it. I love the music tunes, I think you would too.

All in all: 74 ...between 70 and 80...depending on your mood in the moment.

Last word: A solid simple film, with good vibes for the heart and the soul and the blues of life.
___

Parental Guidance: Watch it under the supervision of your kids, preferably older than 14, depending of their uprising from the schools they attended to, their teachers, their parents (you), and the state they were born, or the country, or the city, ...all that society jazz of 2017 morality code of the computerised wide Web world, with a touch.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Wild
Better than I expected. Reese is excellent in the role. Lots of flashbacks in the tale. Odd film but well done imho. The style at times reminded me of Grizzly Man. Wild, though has a better outcome.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The true story of someone who made it ... in jail.
It is interesting to see how his mind works. The film opens our eyes on some parts of the real society we live in...here in this man's empire created from absolute vapor. It is ... devastating.

There are many scenes that I liked, in particular the interviews in jail. It brings us to his state-of-mind.
Is he in denial and not seeing the reality? Absolutely, justifying his actions as morally correct because it's the fault of the investors who entrusted him. Even in jail he remains the Ponzi King. All the lives he ruined are below his level of comprehension, the true mark of a no remorse scam artist.

What he did is this: He stole happiness from thousands and thousands of people...all their families included, a lifetime essence and beyond...to future generations of our chidren's children.

He is not alone; today there are others like him operating their personal fake games of gains @ the true expense of normal citizens.

This is a good film, educative. Many can see it on HBO, Robert De Niro is excellent.

Overall: 65 ...Worth seeing.
___

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing