* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Watched a couple of Robin Hood films the last few days.

First Errol Flynn' s version.
Then
Costern's take then finally
Ridley/Crowe's take

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The first one is the best. :b
___

I revisited Blade Runner 2049...the 4K UHD/HDR Blu-ray disc version.
This ain't no Disney flick where you have to jack up the master volume level to zero reference THX level.
@ twenty decibels below that zero reference the entire room with the humans inside of it are engulfed in a moving/shaking experience, radically.

Overall replay value: ????? (93)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
May is the month in full Spring blooming. It is gorgeous outside, everything is green (trees, mountains), blue (sky and ocean and lakes), and multicolored (flowers, birds, people). It defines life @ its best, nature and wildlife and humanity...planet Earth.

Last night I did not watch a documentary or film on romance, flowers and Spring.
I watched 'In the Fade', a German film starring Diane Kruger (The Infiltrator, Troy, Inglourious Basterds, National Treasure 1 & 2).

No, this film defines another type of humanity conflicting with values of families, friends, support, rehabilitation, justice, revendication (claim). I was left devastated with another reality in the world.

I watched it in German language with English subtitles, for respect. And for this film it's best.

Recently in the news they said that depression is on the rise, by 33%.
I was thinking about families devastated from hurricanes, flooding, fires, people who lost loved ones and everything. I understand them.

This film is not for everyone; it has an overall depressive feel, but also a reality that is important to realise...families and friends and support. It has what anyone/everyone life means, a reality sometimes conflicting between family values and the world of injustice as we know it. It's tough sometimes, real tough.

Overall (film): 70

Last word: Diane Kruger's performance carries us all the way to the end, like a child in the womb of her mother, ...she owns the film, its entire weight.
This is no Justice League, no Deadpool, no Saving Private Ryan, no horror flick like Life.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Les Miserable
August/neesom version

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Les Miserable
August/neesom version

1998...with Liam Neeson.
_____

Some kind of coincidence as I've watched 'The Greatest Showman' last night.

"The noblest art is that of making others happy."

It is interesting to go back in time, 147 years ago...in 1871. The film made me research on history, the origins, the man, the greatest showman, P.T. Barnum
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._T._Barnum
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringling_Bros._and_Barnum_&_Bailey_Circus

It's not the best musical, but the picture is very pretty and some scenes are touching and magic.
My own overall score: 72
___

Bonus:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last week I've watched Saving Private Ryan. Last night I've watched Saving Private Ryan but only forty-five minutes this time around. Why would I do that, because I wanted to compare the regular 1080p Blu-ray with its newer 4K UHD Blu-ray.

The old Blu-ray looks washed out, no dimensions, lifeless, foggy, veiled, dead, like DVD. This new 4K version is the new real deal, anything less is not the best...picture and sound wise. It even makes the film about 5.5% better, and I kid you not.

Overall (everything): 100

It's not for everyone; there are graphic scenes with blood, detached human body parts, open guts exposed, lots of bullets reaching their targets, grenades too, machine guns ripping people into ground beef, tanks pulverising them. War is not a pretty thing. I know some people who cannot and won't watch anything violent, graphic, bloody, scary, horror.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Last week I've watched Saving Private Ryan. Last night I've watched Saving Private Ryan but only forty-five minutes this time around. Why would I do that, because I wanted to compare the regular 1080p Blu-ray with its newer 4K UHD Blu-ray.

The old Blu-ray looks washed out, no dimensions, lifeless, foggy, veiled, dead, like DVD.
This new 4K version is the new real deal, anything less is not the best...picture and sound wise.
It even makes the film about 5.5% better, and I kid you not.

Overall (everything): 100

It's not for everyone; there are graphic scenes with blood, detached human body parts, open guts exposed, lots of bullets reaching their targets, grenades too, machine guns ripping people into ground beef, tanks pulverising them. War is not a pretty thing. I know some people who cannot and won't watch anything violent, graphic, bloody, scary, horror.

Some of the reviews say that this is the best 4K picture from an disc currently available.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some of the reviews say that this is the best 4K picture from an disc currently available.

The difference with its regular Blu-ray, to my eyes and ears, is humongous.
Last night when watching 45 minutes of its regular Blu-ray version was exactly like watching an inferior DVD.

It is not the best 4K title, but one of. ...For a catalog title, a 1998 film, it is truly impressive.
I've watched it in its entirety transfixed in renewed discoveries. That in itself is cinema power in replay value. It's like listening to a music album from a renew 45rpm remastered vinyl of Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
One of my favorite movies in a long time. Loved the singing and dancing. It was a feel good movie. Of course the video and audio were excellent. High rewatch value !!

Technically it is mint. And I fully agree with the "feel good" movie description.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Just watched "Three Billboards". Fascinating movie. Well done. I now understand the acting award the lead got. Bunch of messed up people lived in that town. Turns out the movie was created as a result of billboards being outside of some town in Texas (for 25 years - at a cost of $250,000) where the family was trying to get a crime solved.

This was after I watched "Den of Thieves" this afternoon. Other than ever other word being the "F" word, I enjoyed the plot and the action. Re-watch possibility = ZERO!!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Watched Casablanca a few times. Commentary tracks too. That dueling anthem scene gets me every time

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm waiting for next version of Casablanca, in 4K UHD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
I'm not very serious but you never know what could happen next. ...Lawrence of Arabia in 4K? That is higher possibility.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I finally watched the most recent Star Wars in 4K. First time I saw the movie. Really liked it. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the night before, and while it was enjoyable, none of these other space movies rival Star Wars. They are just on a whole different level story- and production-wise.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I finally watched the most recent Star Wars in 4K. First time I saw the movie. Really liked it. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the night before, and while it was enjoyable, none of these other space movies rival Star Wars. They are just on a whole different level story- and production-wise.

Did you have to raise the volume level with SW: The Last Jedi?
All latest Disney flicks are mixed low, and with less audio dynamics and less bass. ...In comparison to what we are used to with previous Disney flicks.
The best part is the cinematography over Ireland.
_____

I've watched this guy twice. Why? For the pretty picture, the costumes, the colors, the music score, the decors, and the overall Marvel experience.
I was entertained, it is very polished. It's not perfect but very digestible.

Technically the images pop up from the screen with vibrancy in the colors and costumes and decor sets. The CGI effects could have use some octane boost. The soundtrack has a lovely African music theme, I like it very much. This one has to be cranked up too; for me by about fifteen decibels on my pre/pro's master volume level control. And as it is the norm nowadays with Disney it is missing the dynamics and bass impact of the better film's audio mixes.

The acting is cartoonish but it fits the premises of superheroes from comic books.
The costumes are pretty awesome, and the make ups.
The actor's accents are part of the real world in comic books to go with their origins and regional ancestry. It's poetic, Africa is poetic, athletic, diamond's strength and durability...the best.

Overall (everything): 77
_____

Oops! I apologize, wrong trailer.
Here's the right one:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Did you have to raise the volume level with SW: The Last Jedi?
All latest Disney flicks are mixed low, and with less audio dynamics and less bass. ...In comparison to what we are used to with previous Disney flicks.
The best part is the cinematography over Ireland.

I dont recall having to raise the volume but it is possible.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Most all of the recent Disney movies I own need serious help in the audio department. And cranking up the volume does help. In these times, and given who Disney is, I find it inexcusable.

Black Panther just arrived (4K/HDR) as did the new 4K/HDR - Atmos version of Saving Private Ryan. I am much more looking forward to watching SPR than Black Panther. With the new sound mix and improved video, an already incredible film will become even better

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

* I didn't have to raise the volume here; it was recorded normally.

It's one of my favorite love/romance films. I'm serious.
I own this film in all the previous versions, so why not buy it again and check this 4K version and compare it with its 1080p version. And first I watched the entire 3 hours film on 4K, and then on another day I checked for the comparaisons.

The film overall, just the film: 85

Now technically my own impression. The bright scenes are an improvement in contrast and colors, very nice. The dark scenes are too dark; I need to keep up with the best display coming up in few years ...
The opening scene over Scotland in 4K is missing details that the regular Blu-ray don't. And same for the other darkest scenes.

Is it worth it? For some I'm sure it's worth it, for most it is not.
For me? I like the film enough, the love story, for getting it in the latest technical vision. I'm just not equipped for the very best delivery; some work (scenes) splendidly, others don't.

The audio is mainly front soundstage emphasized, the surround activity is discretely sparse.
For a love story it's perfectly fine with me. It's all about the music score with the love intensity onscreen, the sync and the emotional delivery...the power and the agony.

It was fine to revisit a romantic film, in comparison to a war film...Saving Private Ryan.
The nobles...lol...what a bunch of dictatorial losers. Live and fight for love and freedom, for the true valuable noble causes. Great film, Gibson in his prime.

It's funny; I keep rebuying the same films over and over and over. I will die before the last released version. There is no end in movies, like in music. There is no end in adjusting our turntables, as in the latest and best DACs. The movies remain the same, the songs remain the same, we get older, we have periods of empty dreams, then it comes back from nowhere like magic, like life itself, like living the truth, what counts the most.

1995 - That's twenty-three years ago, almost a quarter century, to put it in perspective.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have found a new way to revisit older films that I have already in my cinema library @ home and view them on my small 65" display. It's $35 for the ticket price of admission, thank you very much evolution.
This one is my now fifth or sixth version from different formats. I am loyal to my movies.

It's an old regular routine that many of us we have regarding music and films.
We just follow the trend, the newest best from older goodies.
It's the same thing with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Film: 93

Technical aspects: The audio is not only good but it's even better, it sure sounds like it.
John Wick looks younger, nineteen years younger.
Whatever HDR does to the Matrix it looks good too, very. ...But not as good as the audio.
The colors look cooler, more tolerable, shall we say more "naturally stylized".

Everybody saw that flick, so there's no use here. And if anyone didn't see it yet, what are you waiting for.
This is thee best and latest. Don't look in the past, look in the present now.

Screenshots comparison? No way, that's for the scientists.
Trailer? Of a 1999 classic, what for.
Are you experienced? Dodge this and you will.

_____

Bonus:

Want to book an hotel room @ your next audio show?
Be prepared like this young couple above.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing