* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This movie is very enjoyable and really made for John Travolta. Excellent cast.

IMG_3470.JPG

Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I revisited this guy:

In (((3D))) of course.

I needed to exorcise my eyes and ears after some 2-Dimensionless and flat 4K UHD Blu-ray titles from Disney with very lame audio soundtracks.
It's not a great film, the actors I don't really care for, except for Arnold. But I was exorcised, my system had some exercise, radically. I just wanted to make sure of it, and I simply picked this title from my 3D shelves, @ random starting from Z. I thought it's been a while.

I have no clue how I rated it before, it just don't matter.

Overall (film): 55%
Audio alone (Atmos): 92%
Visuals 3D alone: 83%
Music score alone: 71%
Acting alone: 49%

* You can watch a movie more than once and have the same opinion years later, or a different opinion; slightly lesser, or slightly better...it all depends.

The best part is the audio, the sound effects. The dialogue is very clear.
And that was my main emphasis when I slided this disc into the disc transport.
Disney somehow, perhaps to not scare the kids, have disintegrated audio mixes wise. That started about few months ago or so. In the past they were among the best.

_____

* Bonus (fun only):

_____

** Extra (serious, with James Cameron as exec producer, and some of the original gang, plus the director of Deadpool, Tim Miller):

? http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/te...er-linda-hamilton-plot-arnold-schwarzenegger/

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Love Alan Parsons Music and this had most on it. Even the replacement singers were excellent. In addition to the band and singers, there was a full orchestra and chorus. Classic Alan Parson sound.

Alan Parsons music begs for a great surround recording, but .............

What I did not like was the way the engineer mixed the audio. An instrument that should have, for example, come out of the right speaker, instead, came out of the right surround speaker. That kind of nonsense occurred all through the performance. It was, on occasion, quite distracting. That said, I would still recommend it and I will most certainly re-watch.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.24.33 AM.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Concussion
Finally saw this. Very good film IMHO and pertinent subject matter. Reminiscent of the tobacco company BS of yrs ago, that analogy is mentioned in the film and apropos. Smith is so into the Dr, that at times, you can't recognize him by his mannerisms and speech. Great performance.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It is on Netflix, it's in my Q now.

I like flicks based on true stories. Boxing is a sport for tough guys with solid heads, and can be very rewarding financially. Football is also for tough guys, talented, and great team work.
I played football when I was in my teens, for five years or so; we won the championship every single year, we were the best.
I also tried boxing once, only once.

Our heads determine how we operate, the better our heads the more efficient we operate.
Accidents do happen; I've seen it, and they could be totally devastating. That's life; it is human nature to push ourselves competitively with the high risks.

Thanks Ron for this one, I will watch it. ...Concussion.

_____

Tobacco; that's another big money sport leading directly to . . . Death. ...Cancer.

It's funny on how humans love to kill themselves and enrich the devils...the tobacco companies and the football channels.

I prefer golf and tennis over football and hockey, today.
But golf has always been @ the top. I also love chess.
Bowling? That too.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Bob just a quick FYI. That doctor that Smith plays, who does the basic research on CTE has 7 college degrees. Gives a haloed meaning to smartest man in the room.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
^ Bob just a quick FYI. That doctor that Smith plays, who does the basic research on CTE has 7 college degrees. Gives a haloed meaning to smartest man in the room.

I watched it last night on Netflix.
Will Smith's performance is very good.

Indeed, in the opening scene the doctor in court is asked about his credentials...truly impressive opening.

Football in America is huge, a huge money machine for many Americans. It's like the tobacco industry preaching to the youngs that it's good for your health, the fresh air, the exercise, the status. Lol

It is truly ironic that we live for so long and still with this tobacco poison for so long.
Pharmaceutical companies are no better, cocaine and heroin are no better, ...they are money machines without morals, without values, without soul, but the rotting of human brain and the cancer of corrupted companies run by unscrupulous humans from planet money.

The football industry they don't want the truth, they want the pig to get fatter, $$$, and the kids to go to college and play football to make a "prestigious" career as athletes with physical abilities and mental abilities...like true superheroes for the American people.

We need to keep football alive, the stakes are just too high. The risks are too little. Money is more important than the brain of our children. Yes, I am sarcastic and to make the reverse point.

We are not awake, we are using less than 10% of our brain, we send kids to school, college and university; they get a degree or two, that doctor has seven, and then we simply dismiss their scientific studies, all in the name of capital.

This film is going to accelerate my research into those true facts and what tick America, and what cannot be done about if...undone. 28% according to their studies affect the football players!

America loves football, it's a way of life. America loves boxing, it's entertaining, America loves guns in movies, it's a connection.

Thx Ron for Concussion mention, it's a very good film, essential viewing.
Overal: 90%

The values, the message, the real facts, the acting, ...all is powerful and illuminating.
It's time for action, time to play ball, real balls of steel. We have to finish the game.

Concussion, the film is three years old, and is set in 2002.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We all have our own opinion on movies, and it can vary by a large margin.
Football people with adrenaline rush in their brain, many of them condemn Concussion as having no brain, a fantasy world of entertainment. Can you see the irony?

I'm from this school of movie critics in regard to this film...Concussion:
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/movi...ion-a-hard-hitting-drama/stories/201512240105

The future is what we make of it, today.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Rewatched "Ender's Game". Seemed like a good idea when I decided to watch it. But I won't be watching it again anytime soon. Interesting idea of using super intelligent teenage "gamers' as our future "warriors".

You liked it enough the first time that you rewatched it, but now dislike it?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You liked it enough the first time that you rewatched it, but now dislike it?

I recently ripped all of my movies to a NAS. In doing so, I came across many titles about which I could remember nothing ---- but was intrigued enough by either the title and/or one or more of the actors to place it in my "to be watched" list. And this was one of them. It was selected by random draw. I should, in the future, probably label my movies with a re-watch scale and save myself the trouble of re-watching something less than wonderful.

While I did not particularly like it, it was interesting in the idea it put forth. I have no doubt that some of the other films I have on the re-watch list will also be less than wonderfully entertaining.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Blu-ray picture is super clean...it looks 4K.

____

Just for fun...extra:

___

Last night I revisited this guy:

It's twisted with good performance from our main character.
It's a good flick.
Overall: 81

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bob: You are correct. The image was super clean. As I have said more than once, I am easily entertained when watching a movie. In the bazillions I have watched, only1 or 2 were just awful. But interestingly, others thought they were outstanding.

By the way, in your post, there was no image for this:
Last night I revisited this guy:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I recently ripped all of my movies to a NAS. In doing so, I came across many titles about which I could remember nothing ---- but was intrigued enough by either the title and/or one or more of the actors to place it in my "to be watched" list. And this was one of them. It was selected by random draw. I should, in the future, probably label my movies with a re-watch scale and save myself the trouble of re-watching something less than wonderful.

While I did not particularly like it, it was interesting in the idea it put forth. I have no doubt that some of the other films I have on the re-watch list will also be less than wonderfully entertaining.

I do the same myself with films and music. Everyday is different; some days it's new, others it's back in time. Some films I'm glad to revisit, others the interest fades away quicker.

It's like someone who has a collection of cars and doesn't know from one day to the next which one to drive. We all know how it is. I know how it is because I've been there and I'm still there.

Ender's Game you just gave me an incentive, just for the fun of it, because like you I enjoy life, everything in it, with complete freedom and without borders.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I must have watched this movie no less than 60 times and still going. It is a ritual of my three years old boy when he gets into the van. Excellent excellent movie. Very imaginatively creative in inserting many good values for not just kids but adults to absorb. My boy asked me “what is Beethoven?” because of this movie. Love the music too. We sing and dance every time Better When I’m Dancing by Meghan Trainor comes up.

4A6DF8DF-237D-4793-8193-692CF4E19178.jpeg

Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing