* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Payback is great. Lucky number Slevin reminds of the same road to get even. High Fidelity is more classic. It's either great or has little meaning for you. I happen to live the movie and great soundtrack.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today, Canada Day.
Last night, Gunman Day.

Sean Penn is in good shape for his age. This film is a little over-the-top, but it's ok because there is a message to be conveyed. So actually in real life it is even more complicated.
Anyway it was an ok film: 65.0

________

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this one last night ::

Where's the heart today in actors? It lacked energy, motivation, conviction, realism, passion, etc.
Overall: 65.0 (same score as 'The Gunman' just above; only because it has decent picture and sound quality from the Blu-ray). ...Worth no more than just a curiosity watch. ...'Mad Max: Fury Road' it ain't. :b ...And along with 'The Gunman' neither these are 'American Sniper'.

________

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I watched and fell asleep during High Fidelity, will try again in the next couple days. Didn't connect this viewing, not bad just didn't connect. (Netflix)

Watched Lucy (because Scarlet) last night, liked it with the exception of the end. I am a Sci-Fi nerd so it doesn't take much to entertain me. (Blu)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, movies are like that; they demand your attention, like women. :b

* I forgot to mention: 'High Fidelity' has high replay value, @ least for me.
[I like 'Lucy' ... it's a cool flick.]

Last edited:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
taken 3.jpg

I enjoyed this. No shortage of action from the Ulsterman. I wasn't impressed with some of the graphics (the truck overturning looked amateurish). 65/100
Two little known facts:
1. This is based on a true story
2. The writers originally intended this to be a musical

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, good thing that it ends there. ...'Taken 3' was the second sequel taken too many. ...Only the original one had verve, then it went downhill.

________

Last night I revisited this:

Just because I was in the mood. ...Overall: 87.5

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The Decline Of Western Civilization. Good movie for Independence Day.

LOL. There are a few punk songs from that period I like, but most just don't cut it. I appreciate their 'rebelling' against the commercialization of Rock, but being a wasted dumb-a$$ isn't the best way to make your case.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night ::

Overall rating score (mine): 99.00

* The director, Giuseppe Tornatore ('Cinema Paradiso', 'The Best Offer'), and the music score...the composer, Ennio morricone, and the entire film...a masterpiece, in my book.
This is a Must for all audiophiles and cinephiles. You can read it all about it by googling it, but don't trust all that you read, the real perception/reception...is 100% true, from my eyes and ears. This is true art, of the highest caliber. ...Not all eyes and ears have the what it takes to make the right call. ...And have the right chords vibrating in the soul.

_______

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One of my fave movies.

The Lives of Others.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited this, ...in 3D :::

This is "delicate" territory...the opening is totally awesome! ...The show is perfectly professional. ...The music is exactly...well...Metallica.
The Blu-ray technical aspects (sound and 3D picture quality) are high values, and the content is natural, raw, and in your face just the way it is supposed to be.

My own overall rating score (not for everyone, in particular for the people with strong prejudices): 90.0 (out of 100). ,,, Can you dig it! ...Look @ the sky before you die. :D

________

? The contrast between our generations and the newer ones regarding several music genres has to be experienced to be fully understood with all the implications for the future generations. This is big because it hits us where it counts the most; in the guts of our brains.
...So many major mistakes in man's history, and we need to express our emotions...these guys...the audience...they do, in their own way.
And them musicians they know it, as they do themselves, but from a much higher perspective...through the never.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Viewed 'Seven Men from Now' a Randolph Scott western, then started this set, a few days ago
Fringe Season One
Good cast, John Noble is a gem

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I needed a big break from Metallica's awesome 3D music concert film/show; so the last two revisits ::

--------------------

* Two films that I love, very much.

96.5 (Tornatore) and 91.5 (Lynch) respectively.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I can't believe Mulholland Drive has not been released on BluRay. Every week Amazon has all these cheesy 50s moviews being released on BluRay. I wonder who prioritizes what movies get the Bluray treatment?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I can't believe Mulholland Drive has not been released on Blu-ray.
Every week Amazon has all these cheesy 50s movies being released on BluRay. I wonder who prioritizes what movies get the Bluray treatment?

Not here in North America yet, ...Criterion Collection is working on it.

But it has been released on Blu almost anywhere else in the world.

I think the main reason is "money". It is simply not profitable here in North America, the same with Disney 3D Blu-ray titles (several of them, about a dozen), and the same also for 'Lucy' (Luc Besson's film) on Blu-ray with a Dolby Atmos audio soundtrack (plus with the four Dolby Atmos trailers included). ...From France. ...And also the same for 'Metallica: Through the Never' on Blu-ray 3D with a Dolby Atmos audio soundtrack...from Germany.

______

Some stuff, it's better to get from across the seas. ...Quality Blu-ray titles, music recordings, audio electronics, loudspeakers, cars, booze, clothes, shoes, boots, women... ;-)
In 2015 we live globally, not just here on our own continent. ...This is the global vision, not the narrow one. :b

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I own Mulholland Drive on BluRay... an import but at least you can get it...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing