Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
It's hard not to like Harris.
From the film Camelot to the apostle John in The Apocalypse

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ah, finally.

The master of fantasy world @ work, and it's a fantastic world filled with great camera angles, decor sets, comfortable space, brilliant music score and beautiful acting.
The love story between a cleaning lady and an amphibian has never filled our screen so admirably.
This is no creature from the black lagoon, it's the 2018 romance set in an artistic poetry.
Every single detail was ambitiously and meticulously construed and exposed.
From the very first screenshot to the last I was transported into fantastic cinema land, with the music grabbing my senses and mixing them with the moving images of my sensibilities in agreeable sync.

Overall (film, music, visuels, ...everything): 91

Last word: I could write a book about this film, but I won't.
Instead I'll be revisiting in a not too distant past. It's a dream recommendation.
I'm probably the last person to see it, before everyone else who missed it, but what can you do, it's life @ the movies...some don't even have a chance...I'm thinking of the people from ...

The music, the tones, the palette, the canvas, the magic ...

* There are few things in this film that not everyone will be aware of. I wasn't, and when I discovered it it elevated my appreciation even a little more higher.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I've always liked his turn as the idustrialist in Smillas Sense of Snow. A film that I feel is very underrated on a great book.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I've always been a fan of Del Toros work. He has a knack of bringing his fantasies to the screen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie)...'I, Tonya' will just have to wait. Last night I went for this instead, mainly because I'm a 3D movie fan, and Gal Gadot, plus Amber Heard and Amy Adams.

Compared to say 'Thor: Ragnarok', it's in a similar vein; with humor, colors and comic stuff we all loved when we were young and free. :b
It's not the best film, but it's not the worst either...close though, very.

I feel like I'm getting younger and younger the older I get. I don't know if I'm alone or not feeling that way. What I can say with certainty is that I feel very liberated. But this film didn't liberate much @ all.
I'll take the better side of if, the humor and the pretty colors surrounding the pretty costumes.
I hesitated between the 4K and 3D version, I went 3D. I'm not sure if I made the right choice; it's not to the level of immersion from Thor: Ragnarok ... some scenes in slow-mo were superb in 3D, but it wasn't consistent as in Thor. Gal Gadot is also in her best in 3D.
What I got is some cool moments, even stuff coming out of the screen.
What I lost is Dolby Atmos audio (shame), and higher definition picture (Dolby Vision and HDR10).
If the movie was better I might double dip on this one, but I won't.

Overall (film): 55
3D picture: 77
Audio: 73

Last word: We can do better, I can do better, the filmmakers and Hollywood movie studios can do better.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I finally saw Interstellar. Interesting film but I wouldn’t say I loved it. Too many leaps of faith and ambiguous science stuff. I kept thinking it was a high tech, rich man’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I'm a Star Wars fan, so it was natural to embark in Vlll
This ride wasn't as good as the previous one.
The actors, for me, are not the type of anxious return expectation.
And on that aspect I wasn't wrong. There is nothing you can do with actors who don't click or do, it's human nature, taste, and we all have it inside. It's like a force we can't control.

It was reasonable, I would need a second watch as my eyes were slowly dissolving.
And because of my state of fatigue building as the film kept rolling I'll give myself a fair chance @ a second attempt. To be continued ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No matter how much I want to like this very nicely polished picture quality film, it is just too simply amorphous for me. I am disconnected, out of sync, story wise, musically, acting wise, emotionally antiseptic, bland, forced, ...just too many things and none truly clicking.

I'm very sorry for all the Star Wars fans, including myself.
Overall: 67 (This is just a number, but between 60 and 70, max)

I tried real hard to find love, but the beautiful decor sets and the actors chemistry couldn't provide.
The music score I found disjointed, not communicating any emotional level, no commitment.
My eyes are the ones who were treated the best...until I revisit it in 3D.
But the eyes alone don't cut it.

I'm honest, very honest. I leave room for future visual immersion and today's pristine picture.
Of course it has to be seen, and you make your own overall assessment. I did.
___

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I remember when this strange and true affair came in the news. It was bizarre and sordid and degenerated.
The film expanded on that, in particular from the real main character, her mother.
From there it went worse and even more worse. ...Not the type of mother one wishes to have.

I did some further research after seeing the film. It's important to have good parents and a good education. It's important to have love in the family and around friends, true love.

Overall: 71

merewrench

Mar 18, 2018
Ready Player One 9 from 10 because end

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Bob: relative to I, Tonya.

I really enjoyed this movie and had no idea of her background. Her mother was indeed a serious wack-job. I also think she got totally screwed for the penalty she received (could no longer skate professionally) relative to her husband's short term penalty and the nimrod body guard who was (and apparently still is) nuts. At least according to the film, hurting Nancy was not her idea yet she bore the biggest penalty. So, just like life, it was not fair.

Some excellent acting in the film as well.

As for the Starwars movies, I thought after the first one, they all fell short. I think the 3 Matrix movies did a better job of maintaining a higher level of coherence.

I have a LOT of movies to watch but my theater has been down for over a month . ... but will be operational on Wednesday.

Up Next:

The Darkest Hour
The Last Jedi
The Shape Of Water
Thor Ragnarok
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MIssouri
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Pitch Perfect 3
The Zookeeper's Wife
Justice League

Plus another 20 or so rewatch movies!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good morning Chuck,

It isn't easy to make a balanced judgement in real life; from people's faith, from the laws of each land, from human values, from how we grew up, from rehabilitation, from everything.
'I, Tonya' is a film, a view from a director who put the emphasis where I think it is important; Tonya's growing up, mainly raised by her mother, a person of dysfunctionality, big time. In that perspective I fully agree with you; Tonya didn't have the moral support, the true value of life, the love of real friends and family.
The justice system doesn't take into account those important elements in almost all cases.
There is simply no time to make a fair judgemenf; if you hang with the wrong people, you would be treated harshly. Tonya didn't have a solid foundation, she was mistreated and abused from what we saw in that film. And that, society doesn't care, the reason why she ended up severely punished; a double blow in her life, in what she only was programmed to do, skate and be the best, and without mercy, without grace and human respect.
That's my take from the film and from what I've read. I don't condemn, because her mother was pure evil in my book of human values.

It is not fair; it is her mother who should have been banned from ever going to a skating ring, to be within a thousand yards from Tonya. The film is a powerful testament to this reflection.
_____

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' - I wasn't transported into the magical Star Wars magic, I found extremely boring @ times, with zero vitamin...no love, no attraction...just mechanically too boring.
I was generous in my rating score mainly for the "video game" aspect type of it; the space fights with the laser colors.
I scored it just enough for people to give it a shot and see for themselves the fall of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
_____

Film activities remain, they are in a period of reassessment, of fitting with the times, my time.
Last night I revisited 'The Shape of Water'. The night before I revisited 'Lucy'.
I like both films, of course or I wouldn't revisit them.

I live today for today; it's the best way for me. I have zero clue if I will be watching a film tonight, and if yes, which one. I just go with the flow of the moment, like many of us do.
_____

'Ready - Player One' will come, it is already here playing @ the theaters, and merewrench, Cologne for gentlemen, scored it high; 9 out of 10.
_____

Films and music we keep in touch; entertainment for the eyes and ears and thrills.
It's going to be a great day, the best day, all day all night.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

It is almost impossible to not fall under the spell of Daniel Day-Lewis as a high-end couturier of the mid fifties in this film directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.
We are hooked in the brain by his performance. Everything is splendid; his art, his business, his sister, his special encounter with a lovely young waitress, the sparkles, the tradition, the dedication, the high end society, the drama, the mushrooms ...

If you compare Phantom Thread with Star Wars: The Last Jedi, you are in a world of hurt.
The former is a film of high caliber for mature audience (22 to 97), the later is a video game with lame acting for young teenagers (10 to 13).
To stay safe we don't compare the incomparable.

I admit that few times I had expressive vocal comments during some scenes, regarding the young waitress and why on earth she was sticking around in a "sick" environment. I guess she wasn't strong enough to take charge and leave. Instead she went down the corridor of failed destiny, the complicity of two individuals forming an alliance, a pact for the worst and the better, marriage.

It's a well composed film, with a music score that I adore. There is romance, there is magic, there is seriousness, there are mountains and snow, there is soul.

The picture looks great, and the wardrobe is an important element. The acting from all the participants is impeccable, and the piano playing suits everything to a perfect fitting glove.

I love that film...overall: 90

Last word: Weave some movie magic, see it if you haven't yet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I sometimes read the news of the world. Some of those world news have a very very very small effect on my brain, so small in fact that it makes me think about World War lll as something that would never happen, ever. Because the human species is way too much advanced today in the knowledge from past mistakes to never repeat them ever. There is simply too much respect for humanity and its environment, earth.

It was in that line of thinking that I revisited this great war drama classic last night, in all glorious highest dynamic range with natural foliage of the green jungle:

1957 was the year when it was released @ the theaters, 2018 is the year I watched it @ home under a renewed technology, visually and auditory.
It has never been looking this best @ home, and it has never been sounding this best, ever.

Sixty-one years ago some of us were just babies. World War ll, most of us didn't live thru, but only very few members here. I was fully re-immersed in the film's story...1942-43.

Overall: 100

Last word: The best. ...Technically too.
? https://realorfake4k.com/my-product/the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai/
___

Yesterday:

Today:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing