* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched this recently @ home:

It's a cool flick, smooth, relatively slow going overall, mostly dark, with some brighter scenes, mystery science fiction with few twists and thrills and twirls. Right from the opening scene, after the text introduction, it opens with an eye wide open, as in the original, and the vertigo sound effect, synthesizer, is tremendously earth shaking and bone trembling. That, for the 2D version (I also watched the 3D version).

There are several elements I liked in this film; some of the cinematography, the lighting, the smooth movements of the lights and of the camera, the audio impact, synthesizer sounds, music score, the atmospheric decadence, the attraction...hologram, futuristic flying car, some decor sets, actresses, ...

It is quite long @ 164 minutes, so it's not an easy task to master when you're not sixteen anymore, but well in your sixties. Best to be in good form, plenty of sleep the night before, and have an earlier supper. ...For me anyway, I don't know about you.

Overall: 83

Extra:

• Visuals: 96 (in 3D: 66)
• Audio: 95 (in 3D: 70)
• Acting: 80
• Film only: 83
• The director: Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario)

Last word: It's a high recommendation for the festival of son et lumiere, in a discrete way. ...And not so discrete @ times, particularly for the sound.
It's all part of the experience, I still prefer the original, but this one has 35 years of advanced technology in it. If you think about it, we are going real slow. That is my opinion of course, what's yours?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
John Wick 2

There are over hundred kills in less than two hours in chapter 2.
John Wick is like a killing video game machine; bad guys don't stand a chance.
You hire an elite of John Wick s.w.a.t. team, you put that elite in the middle of a bunch of hardcore bad dudes/criminals/abusers/extortionists/corrupted leaders, and it'll clean house in no time, leaving only dust flying into the air.
___

Extra (scientific statistics):

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's a tough question Chuck. We try to remember the very first album we listened to when we weren't even six and try as hard as we can it's an extremely hard challenge.
The very same can be said about the very first flick we saw in life, on TV, black and white round tube TV.

In both cases I have zero clue. We can remember, some of us, the first 78 or 45 or 33 1/3 music album we bought for ourselves, the first movie we saw in a public cinema theater, but the first ever music we've heard when we were just babies and the very first thing we saw on TV while still in our mother's arms...
In a public theater it's easier I think.

I think we remember better the films and the music that marked us, that made an impact on us.
Lesser films and music are like the fog in Blade Runner, it dissipated into the atmosphere from too vague memory. It's all very important because it will influence our destiny more or less, the films and the music that came into our lives first...I think.

Cartoons...

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I lived in Hollywood at the time and my folks took us to this movie. I had never even been in a movie theater. This place had a balcony (late 40's) and I was wondering if the people on the main floor were watching the same movie I was :confused: I've been addicted since !!

What I have discovered is that with movies, I am easily entertained. While I most certainly like some movies better than others, I would guess that maybe less than 5% of the movies I have ever seen are what I would classify as "stink bombs"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Couple nights ago, while some people were watching the music Grammy awards, I watched this on Blu:

It's by the same director ... The Lobster.

It is excruciatingly slow, very hard to get into, and it demands patience and persistence, to enter a world of weirdness, decadence, horror, lost of normality, conventionalism and fair existence.
It's a pshychological challenge, very.

Some camera work I liked, the actors took their roles @ heart. ...All of them.
The music score is the quiet type to go with the slow mood of our brain, without disturbing it and disturbing it both @ the same time.

Overall: 79

Last word: What we get in this film is something very different. It's not rosy, only the paste is.
The journey is on another planet, a like Stanley Kubrick science-fiction/horror/sarcastic flick of over exposition, grave exaggeration and not everyone is ready to plunge into the mind labyrinth of psychological horror drama. In that vision, with its polished white psychiatric look, slow moving camera angles, ...it flavors enigma from an unconventional world to an approaching one of deep seeking trauma.

In words it's impossible to describe the mind. See it and make your own.
Some of you will hate it, won't even finish it, will puke on it, will hate me for even mention it.
The risk we take is the risk we are willing to take. This one it's better no trailer, to go blind in it if we're going to risk it.

My rating is high because it truly exorcised my patience. I'm not used to that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited a musical:

• Musical numbers: 99
• Picture quality: Grainy, raw, very. ...Fine with me.
• Humor: 97

Overall replay value: 95

Last word: Can't go wrong, in particular if you like Saturday Night Live (best episodes past), the Blues (music). It's one of those with excellent replay value, in times of making it all sense.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
With roughly a budget of $40 million and $25 million @ the box office we wouldn't call 'Only the Brave' a big blockbuster. It is based on a true story, a sad one from the dramatic end's result. You have probably heard of it in the news @ the time...I sure did.

After watching it last night I couldn't escape the fact that these young men put their life on the line to save other's lives and properties from the natural elements. That particular fire was started by a lightening strike.

It has a lot of CGI effects of course. It's not like the real thing when being surrounded by a real forest fire.
The point is it's an homage of great respect to these young brave men who lost their lives fighting for saving lives. I can relate to their endurance and bravura, they have my utmost respect and deserve to be honored to one of the highest level of human standards.

The film is humble, the actors fine, the story human and real.

Overall: 75

It is worth seeing for the human touches and values, and in respect to some of the people who are real fighters, in fitness, in heart, the true heroes behind the lines.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this couple nights ago:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7iyyI66ttQs/WoeD-yj7rZI/AAAAAAAAOfY/_be2NANLMgIQZAgwms9sIXNXYxBTY1YjQCLcBGAs/s400/4%2BThe%2BFlorida%2BProject%2B%25282018%2529%2BVer sion%2BFinal.jpg

That was different, the actors were mainly kids, unknown kids.
The storyline is very simple; life in Florida in a motel.

The film plays as if it was real life...the magic of filmmaking.

Ovetall: 85

Give it a shot, watch with kids. Check Bobby (Willem Dafoe) motel manager interact with the kids...pure magic.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
For the the last week or so, I have been (and still am) in the midst of ripping my movie collection to a NAS system. While in the process, some films have asked me to re-watch them .... so I have watched (or re-watched) a few: My rating scale is A through F.

"Wonder": What a great movie. My wife and I shed a tear ... or four. Probably wasn't a "block buster" at the theaters but it was in our house!! A

"xXx Return of Xander Cage": Couldn't be a more different film than "Wonder" but if you like great HT audio and this kind of movie, have a go. Just to be sure there is no doubt, I have very low expectations from all movies and am easily entertained. This fit the bill perfectly. Bride won't want to watch this one. C

"The Foreigner" with Jackie Chan. A slightly different take of getting revenge against those who harm/kill/threaten a family member (think 'Taken'). But I like Jackie Chan. I will eventually re-watch with my wife. B

"Blade Runner-Final Cut": I had not seen this in a VERY long time and I wanted to get re-connected prior to watching "Blade Runner 2049" B+

"Ant Man": Another Marvel Movie. A bit more light hearted than some of the other Marvel films. C+

"The Terminator": It turns out I had never seen this first film of the series but I own all of the others. When I realized I had not seen it, ordered it and watched it. It really answered some questions I had from Number 2 on. NOT a great movie but I did enjoy most of the series. I rate this an B+ only because it set the stage for an interesting series.

"Hit Man Agent 47": (Seeing a trend here?). What can I say? Easily entertained. B-

I may have left a few out !!

Each time i watch any kind of movie in our theater, I am reminded of why I have spent so much time, energy and money on creating it and fine tuning it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited Blade Runner 2049 in 3D.

Good replay value. ...Solid A (the film, and the cinematography)
Also, I appreciated more this time around certain 3D moments, like the rain dripping profusely on the window of Lt Joshi office. ...And the snow falling from the sky viewed from up there, @ the end of the film.
_____

I'm really looking forward to the Academy Oscars on March 4th.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night:

There is another animated film on a similar subject; 'The Book of Life' ...one of my favorite animated films, on Blu-ray, and in 3D.
'Coco' is only in 4K, for now (the 3D is coming up later on from overseas...Europe).
But it is simply awesome, another great PIXAR story with the best animations I've seen this year and this life. It is a must see, you are going to shed some tears, guaranteed.

Overall (everything is awesome): 99

Last word: Animated story @ its best.
...So colorful that your tears will look like rainbow tears from your heart.
_____

Couple trailers: https://vimeo.com/242485078

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited one of my favorites:

I made sure the volume level was adequate, and I was transported beyond reason into the intergalactic space of the vast universe. What a ride! Movie magic.

And yes I double dip with this one, for the improved picture quality of the 4K disc.
It's only in 2D though, but one of the best 2D rides. ...Visually and audiophily.

Overall (riding high): 98

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Good pick, Bob. I really like the ending.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing