* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
They don't make them anymore like they used to, and the actors the same.
We live in a new era and with the new times of that era; new younger generations and older ones who are getting even older.
_____

I revisited a newer one, for the newer generations...for the fun of it, the 4K one:

There are two older actors in that flick; Kurt Russell (The Thing) and Sylvester Stallone (Rocky).

Should I score it as an older fart viewer, or with the eyes of the new generation?
Should I give two scores or only mine?

Overall (mine and my only score, film and technical merits): 83
Film only: 71
My age (physical merits only): Between 63 and 203
My age (in heart and in spirit only): Between 33 and 99

* When I was young I liked all type of films; The Time Machine, Once Upon a Time in the West, Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner, Papillon, 8 1/2, The Wizard of Oz, ...
When I was old I liked all type of films; Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, Blade Runner 2049, The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, Dunkirk, ...

C'est la vie, c'est ma vie, entre être jeune et moins jeune; à mon avis.

https://youtu.be/pFYH6YIIoxk

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this young fellow, in 3D ('Coco'):

Overall (film impact and immersion on a higher dimension): 99.9

Last word: What truly more is there to say, nothing, absolutely nothing.
The more you say the less you mean, the less you talk the more you mean.
Coco is flawless, it is perfect; 99.9%

https://youtu.be/mxm4h7PFwoI

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.49.16 AM.jpg

What a wonderful (but painful) story. Any time I see a movie about the way the Nazi's treated the Jews I am amazed at the cruelty of the human race. Just raw savagery, the way they abused and exterminated millions -- men, women and even children.

But the saving grace is that there were individuals and small organizations that did what they could to try and save a few.

And the painful part for me is that even with that incredible evil demonstrated under Hitler, it is clear to me we have not really learned. Without providing any clarification since politics/religion is not allowed on this site, it most certainly appears to me that we have already slowly started down the same path. Mind boggling.

That aside, what an outstanding movie experience!!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What's equally disturbing is that there are people who deny this ever happened.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://youtu.be/BXd9QVZW5QY

I don't think I've seen it yet. I'll check on Netflix, thx.

* In 2018 terrible wars are still happening all over the world.
And with it more mind wars and more cyber wars.

What we don't want is all of that and more. And certainly no nukes.
And no chemicals, no polluted air, no tainted meat, no artificial food, no contaminated water.

In India, 600,000,000 people are getting sick and dying because they don't have clean drinking water; children, women and men.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/india-day-zero-clean-water-access-shortage/
https://www.dailyo.in/variety/niti-...isis-history-no-growth-gdp/story/1/24902.html
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/health/india-water-shortage-crisis-intl/index.html

"The report states that an average of 200,000 Indian lives are lost every year due to inadequate supply or contamination of water."

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
In the Heat of the Sea

Liked it but not as good as the Book along with the complimentory book Custom of the Sea

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And no chemicals, no polluted air, no tainted meat, no artificial food, no contaminated water.

In the US, we already have all of that ... and worse. I could start a rant on how we screw up our fruits and vegetables with pesticides and chemicals, feed our livestock poisonous crap, and even our "filtered water" we get from our in home faucets are filled with chemicals !!! All in the name of making more money !!!

Rant (that I did not officially begin) over!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In the US, we already have all of that ... and worse. I could start a rant on how we screw up our fruits and vegetables with pesticides and chemicals, feed our livestock poisonous crap, and even our "filtered water" we get from our in home faucets are filled with chemicals !!! All in the name of making more money !!!

Rant (that I did not officially begin) over!!

Movies and documentaries that make us aware of world wars and injustices is good food for the brain.
___

Recently the CEO of a big company was found to be less than competent with her blood cure. Would you trust this woman (Theranos CEO):
https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/15/elizabeth-holmes-steps-down-ceo-theranos/
___

And would you trust this guy (Facebook CEO):
http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/the-onion-declares-war-on-mark-zuckerberg-and-facebook.html

The world is full of crooks and incompetent people. If films depict them it's good for our awareness, if documentaries are intelligent to denounce them, perhaps the justice system can get rid of them once and for all? That is if the justice system is not corrupted itself and the laws are created to protect the good citizens, and not the bad crooks and corrupted bandits and thieves and criminals.
Books written by honest and smart writers are good too for the brain.
News on TV that are honest, true and intelligent from intelligent and honest news reporters is also good food for the brain. It's up to us to get the right info and act upon, because nobody else will.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The world is full of crooks and incompetent people. If films depict them it's good for our awareness, if documentaries are intelligent to denounce them, perhaps the justice system can get rid of them once and for all? That is if the justice system is not corrupted itself and the laws are created to protect the good citizens, and not the bad crooks and corrupted bandits and thieves and criminals.
Books written by honest and smart writers are good too for the brain.
News on TV that are honest, true and intelligent from intelligent and honest news reporters is also good food for the brain. It's up to us to get the right info and act upon, because nobody else will.

Not when the "justice system" is filled with folks who make up their own rules!

Honest TV News is an oxymoron !!

The Old Testament speaks to this in Isaiah 5:20

It says:

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil,
who put darkness for light and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

While the US is still a great place to live, we seem to be doing as much as we can to make that no longer true

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Chuck, I had a brief discussion with one of my brothers earlier this morning, 3,000 miles away from me.
We are both Canadians and we are both dealing with people from all over the world, and so was my father...RIP

It's not a rosy world with pink people. But it's a beautiful blue planet with many beautiful blue people.
It's the clean blue color and sky and water that is worth preserving and saving and sharing.
All the rest rotten spoiled debris and corrupted "dicktators" need to be discarded, jailed, punished, obliterated, exposed and rid of.

We need more movies in that line of messages, smart films and documentaries.
No one place is better, all places have their beauty and beautiful people.
International films are like moving picture books in education and history of our planet's various cultures and people.

Justice in real life from the court systems is only as good as the people creating and running it. Justice for the people, not for the corrupts.

As for TV news I'm no expert; I gave up TV cable a quarter century ago.
I got my news from other channels.

For sports, it depends. I can make special arrangements with my Internet provider or with friends.
_____

* I revisited 'Interstellar' last night, on 4K Blu. I love intelligent phylosophical sci-fi flicks where I let my brain enter the door of my inside movie room, wide open. ...Beats 'Black Panther' outside that door with popcorn.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-what-was-it-*&p=497876&viewfull=1#post497876

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 8.24.48 AM.png

(A re-watch)

Something is happening to me. Movies like this are becoming less entertaining, bordering on pure boredom. Maybe because the action is so over the top, continous and unrealistic. Or REALLY REALLY REALLY bad acting (Denise Richards); or repetition, or ... all of the above.

My "go to" satisfying kind of action movies are some of the Bourne movies that have some kind of plausible plot. Though since I have not watched one in a while, they, too, may have become less entertaining.

I seem to be at a point where I want to watch movies that take advantage of my 9.x.6 Atmos configuration but not at the expense of being just crappy movies (and there sure seems to be no shortage of those). I got a lot more out of The Zoo Keepers Wife than I did (and do) from poorly crafted action/scientific movies. We shall see.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I totally agree about dump action movies. A lot of superhero movies fall into that same category for me. I need good characters, dialog and acting.

If I need 'popcorn' (e.g. I don't want to have to concentrate) I would take a romantic comedy over action anyday.... lol

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this flick last night, on Blu:

Without repeating what I must have said in the past...A Must See.

Overall: 90

This ain't no Black Panther, totally different atmosphere.
A film made by an adult for adults.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I totally agree about dump action movies. A lot of superhero movies fall into that same category for me. I need good characters, dialog and acting.

If I need 'popcorn' (e.g. I don't want to have to concentrate) I would take a romantic comedy over action anyday.... lol

I think the reason is because we are constantly bombarded by the Hollywood cash machine. Disney Marvel and Star Wars took over, we get brain-washed, emptied of our neurons. DC superhero and villain from comic books stole them.
I agree with you, Chuck and Kal.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Finally got around to watching "Black Panther". I had really, really low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. In many ways, it was more of the same, but the colors and "fake" landscapes and part of the plot were good enough to keep me entertained (in addition to the Atmos soundtrack).

Also watched Tom Raider. I am not a movie critic and this was about what I expected. I can see myself watching this again in a few years.

Both were in 4k/HDR (but since my PJ/screen are not very accommodating to watching HDR, I turn it off) and both had Atmos. So the more active sound-scape made both movies more enjoyable.

Certainly not deep plots, but both good popcorn movies.

I would like to be able to rent movies like these from RedBox but the only way you get Atmos is on the 4K version, which, at the moment, RedBox is not renting. And streaming is most certainly not an option (on these kinds of movies) with compressed audio and video. I didn't pay the kind of money I have invested in an audio system to listen to squished audio. With some films it makes little difference to me (we call those "relationship movies" or movies that are totally driven by dialog), but these were not those !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

"Thoroughbreds is a 2017 American black comedy thriller film written and directed by Cory Finley, in his directorial debut. It stars Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin, Paul Sparks and Francie Swift. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2017, and was released on March 9, 2018, by Focus Features and Universal Pictures.

The plot follows a high-school student, Lily (Taylor-Joy), and her sociopathic friend Amanda (Cooke) as they scheme to kill Lily's stepfather, Mark (Sparks), via contract with a drug dealer (Yelchin)."

___

Different, psychotic, not for everyone, no book comic superhero here; it's a dark comedy with 'dark' actors...attractive. I was entertained. ...For all ages except the very young ones.

Overall: 69

https://youtu.be/qylb0dvPOf8

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

""

Different, psychotic, not for everyone, no book comic superhero here; it's a dark comedy with 'dark' actors...attractive. I was entertained. ...For all ages except the very young ones.

Overall: 69

https://youtu.be/qylb0dvPOf8

I saw this movie recently and really enjoyed it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing