* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Richard Harris (RIP) ... very good mention Ron; I really like him. He was one of the best actors...highly charismatic and powerful in lines delivery, and convincing...superb accent. ...'Unbroken'*, 'Gladiator', ...

Yes, films are powerful, just like music recordings, and live music is best...and live movies are best (our own lives). :b

* 'Unbroken' ... Clint, Gene, Morgan, Richard, ...powerful cast, powerful lines delivery, powerful film.
...Good story, well executed/reproduced on screen. ...One of the best of the best Westerns. ...Richard Harris ... R.I.P.

? It's not the medium, it's the message. ...DVD or Tape or BR or Netflix or IMAX, ....
Same with music...hi-res audio download, tape, vinyl, SACD, CD, BR Audio, ...

And! Both Movies & Music they come in Mono, Stereo, and Multichannel.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this 3D guy :::

80 ...The 3D effects are pretty good. ...The movie? ...Just look @ the cover...it's SpongeBob. :b

________

? I was testing/analaysing the 3D capabilities of my 3D gear, that's all...so I jumped right away where I wanted to...to the serious 3D animation stuff.

________

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Revisited - (((3D)))

? Very relaxing for the artistic mind.

Overall (Art, Creativity, Vision, Performances, Compositions, Choreography, 3D Picture quality, Music): 97.5

_________

Last word: For people like I with Theater experience. ...Up-close and personal. ...Then you can appreciate to its true value.
Some people I love are not into it...it's life.

<<>> I am going to ask you a favor; to anyone who reads this, and who sees it, or who saw it...to share if they did like it, or not.
It don't matter if it's in 2D or in 3D (but in 3D is the best).

Just forget SpongeBob, and Pina is the real deal here...the one I am truly interested to hear your opinion on.

______

From 'Pina':

______

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited a 1960 movie ::

Except that this time around it is the very best presentation ever from a digital format that consumers can purchase easily...new Restored Edition on Blu-ray.
The imagery (moving pictures) is magnificent all around...with much improved natural colors and intricate details while retaining its film-look attribute...the natural film grain.

You can trash all your previous 'Spartacus' versions now...because they were all mediocre...and finally have all the glory @ your disposition...right in front of you...on your screen. Even the audio sounds like high fidelity...DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround sound.

Hail, Spartacus! ...In true high definition picture and high sound resolution.

Overall: 92.5 (Film, technical aspects, everything). ...In 2D.

Specs & Screenshots (Video Data | Measurements):

? www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/spartacus_blu-ray.htm

?? www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/...360&disc1=6603&disc2=4868&lossless=#vergleich

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are you guys familiar with David Fincher's films?

I revisited 'Fight Club' (1999) last night...it has been a while...so it was valuable to replay it.
The film is strange, ...it's the dark underworld of "turbulent fights". ...But the entire adventure has lots of magic moments...with great cinematography and audio. It's a punk world with a tough, very tough attitude in a modern setting of strange characters and story development into the abyss of darkness...with a mirroring touch. Words cannot describe (and mine are ...), because the camera is...and the actors in their own decor.

It's...powerful and beautiful too. ...There is a lot in it. ...I like it...sometimes the atmosphere is reminiscent of 'Trainspotting'. ...For me.

Overall (film and technical merits on Blu): 84

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Bob, my favorite Fincher film is easily Zodiak.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Fincher is a master creator of atmospheric hypnotism/tension. ...The music plays a large role too, along with the darker color palette used in his films...golden browns, dark greens, sanitarium blues, blacks fabricated of silk, ...I like 'The Game', 'Se7ven', 'Panic Room'*, 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', 'The Social Network', 'Gone Girl', ...and 'Zodiac' of course. ...'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.

I would say that his influences are towards the "asylum" darkness.

In my movie collection I have all David Fincher's films on Blu-ray...including 'Alien 3', ...'Fight Club'.
* ...Except 'Panic Room' ...on DVD Superbit.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Our Man Flint followed next day with
In Like Flint

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Today has been a Longmire season 4 marathon on Netflix

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ron, what kind of picture do you get with Netflix...1080p, 4K, and 3D? ...I suspect 720p to 1080p depending.
...And UHD (4K) do you guys get that? ...About 3D films, docs, programs?
...And what kind of audio...highly compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 (lossy)? ...Do you know the bit rate...kbps? ...384 or less?

* Last night I watched a Hollywood movie on Blu-ray...with The Rock...and in 3D :::

It's a disaster/disastrous film. ...Lots of mayhem in the audio department and lots of grossly exaggerated CGI effects all over in the picture department.
It's a drama but it's much more like a comedy/drama/fake action/love story/romance. ...The type of entertainment on all aspects, and for all ages.

I won't describe too much...just one word: Traumatizing. :D

Overall (film only): 22 (out of 100)
Technical:
- 3D picture quality: (CGI and all): 74
- Audio quality: (impact, realism and all): 94 ...but this is hard to accurately evaluate, because what's real and not? ...And all the sounds coming up from all my speakers and subwoofers screaming and shaking my butt...how do I fairly measure that "surround sound sensation" (SSS) feeling? ...Is it real or is it a senseless roller coaster ride for the ears and guts of my body mainly? ...I don't know if it was encoded with D-Box; Warner Bros, doubtful.
{It's in Dolby Atmos by the way.}

There are several methods to be a film critic; the general one, the superficial one, the personal one, and the more profound one.
They are all honest...but some more on a strictly entertainment level (with the less brain activity possible), and some on a spiritual and physical level (message, visual and auditive).

? The total sum of all elements put together: 63

Last word: Check it out for the fun of it...and if you have a reasonable multichannel sound system with a subwoofer...you might find a pleasurable adrenaline rush going through the veins of your entire body. :b ...The picture is pretty, and the two love stories are quite unique due to unusual circumstances.

Don't tell anyone that you've heard it from Bob, right here. ...Straight up and unedited.

And because I watched it in 3D you get a 3D trailer (put your 3D glasses on):

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ron, what kind of picture do you get with Netflix...1080p, 4K, and 3D? ...I suspect 720p to 1080p depending.
...And UHD (4K) do you guys get that? ...About 3D films, docs, programs?
...And what kind of audio...highly compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 (lossy)? ...Do you know the bit rate...kbps? ...384 or less?
I was watching on my Air 2. Picture quality and sound were just fine for that, excellent I'd say. I have a good wi-fi connection so once an episode started, never a pause. IDK the actual tech data and TBH using a pad to catch up on a series is just a great convenience. Especially that one which I tend to describe as a modern Sherlock wearing cowboy boots set in Wyo. filmed in NM played by an Aussie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was watching on my Air 2. Picture quality and sound were just fine for that, excellent I'd say. I have a good wi-fi connection so once an episode started, never a pause. IDK the actual tech data and TBH using a pad to catch up on a series is just a great convenience. Especially that one which I tend to describe as a modern Sherlock wearing cowboy boots set in Wyo. filmed in NM played by an Aussie.

That is great Ron...I might get a tablet this Christmas coming up...so that I can watch some youtube flicks in my spare time.
* Never heard of that flick before (Sherlock in cowboy boots...). -------------------------------- :0

<> Last night I watched 'Tomorrowland' (Disneyland) in 2D (BD) ::

It started new and fresh and then it degenerated into rotten and CGI deja vu.
- Overall: 64
- Film itself: 44
- Picture quality: 98
- Sound quality: 91

Last word: Mainly for the picture quality on Blu, and the performance of the young actress. ... Wish it was in 3D...and in Dolby Atmos...for the future 3D ?
But! I am certain that we'll see it again on UHD Blu-ray, and perhaps with Dolby Atmos audio (or dts:x - it's in DTS-HD MA 7.1 right now); this is the right candidate for it, to help balance its lesser overall message of the heart & mind.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'Jurassic World' in (((3D))) last night.

It was a cool ride, like being inside a bubble...radically. The big dude has a large set of teeth, and it's better to get out of his path or else... :b
Sounded picturesque with polished faces and script and decor sets and CGI montages (dinosaurs and all).

I give it 77 overall.

...Technically more...sound and picture equally wise. The 3D effects were good...not the best but very good nonetheless.
If you are young and have young teenagers (about 1% of the WBF population), you'd all like it.
For the rest (99% of the older WBF population), you'd like it even more so.

Last world: Give it a go. ...And roll with the flow along the round transparent bubble ride. ...And watch for those big large teeth..

_______

? We have a new color...red...for 'liberalisation' and legalization of marijuana.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this last night...in (((3D))) :::

19478_front.jpg

Overall (everything): 95

This is beautiful animation, true dedication creative art. ...One of my favorites for sure.

And the night before...this ::

Mulholland-Drive-br-us-242x300.jpg

* New Criterion Collection Blu...Overall: 91

Small sample:

A film directed by David Lynch (big fan), and it grabs you by the soul and just doesn't let go...the music score...

_________

I like films, for picture first. But with some films it's the music that truly transports us. ...Music is a transportation vehicle, like a transponder, a transporter, a trans am, a telekinetic time capsule in magnetic force of impulses. When moving pictures are rolling on a screen with the music accompanying them, and sometimes in 2D, and @ other times in 3D, it's movie magic. ....Just like some of the best music recordings that were captured in our music history by the master recordists accidentally...with a quality and essence without parallels. Exclusivity in our imagery and imagination is like a musical score of an Opera, a Ballet, a Passion Play...@ the concert hall of a city, or outside.

** Those two films above that I just mentioned...I love them...and they expand my creative mind in multiple stellar ways.
...The music score, the picture score.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Cast a Giant Shadow. DVD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like to spend money; I always liked it.

I like to spend it on new software; music and films. I'm more a software guy than a hardware one. I tend to keep my hardware for a long time.
And there is way more new music and films (remastered or not) than there is new hardware.
And with new music and films comes new enchantment by the boat loads, constantly, non-stop.

Last night I re-watched this flick,
but this time with a new 4K remastered picture (1080p) and with a new Dolby Atmos sound (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio core; the one I listened to) ::

I'm a big Luc Besson's fan, so I love all his films; this one included.
I did not compare with my previous Blu-ray version.
The moving imagery was just fine, and the audio formidable! And that, the audio, was a very pleasant surprise. I don't recall to be so intensively draw into the music score from my prior viewings of my previous BR version. That alone was worth twenty loonies.
Hey, some albums are 35 minutes long, no moving pictures, stereo only, and they cost fifty bucks (remastered ones). ...Plus you need to get up to flip sides.

? Overall score (everyone): 89.5

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lol, before I posted that post just above I typed a previous one; slightly longer and a bit more direct to the point (when in the moment we're always @ our best), and when came the time to submit it...pouf, gone! I pressed the wrong key on my keyboard...the "self-destruction" one...Ctlr + Enter. :D

Don't you like it when that happens! ...You write a post with 100% total dedication, with graphs, measurements, the best words to describe the listening/viewing/moving/emotional experience of your entire body, soul, heart and spirit, for about two-three hours, and then when you're ready to submit, pouf! ...Vanished, three hours of your life just evaporated/disintegrated in front of your own very eyes! ...And no way to recoup because you didn't take the proper action.

Sometimes it is so frustrating that you don't really feel to kill yourself, but you simply back away from your laptop, open the front or back door, and go outside for a walk under the moonlight, even if it's freezing cold, and not bothering to put shoes and pants and sucks and warm clothes (you were in shorts, t-shirt, and barefoot when typing your 'life' on your keyboard)!

I should put thick red duck tape on top of that key, or simply remove the key all together.

Anyone else here has experienced similar situations?

This next question is very interesting (serious too): Sometimes you listen to music all day, no matter from which source, and then you go to bed, and only then you shut off the music source...radio, CD player, music server...from your remote control. And then, after the sound system is turned off, you still hear the music for another five-ten minutes!
Well, this is very true, and I was wondering if any of you remember such situations?

My theory is this; I was listening to music for say ten hours or so, and doing other things too, and subconsciously the music was so impregnated in my brain that I kept hearing it for another five to ten minutes after it was completely shut down. And I'm very serious here, and I would love to hear more from other members about that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I watched a PIXAR animated feature film, in 3D :::

It's a gamut of emotional control folks who follow a little girl's journey. They live in a machine (brain) and have access to a control mixing board like a recording studio.
It has parallels with real life human's intersected social influences; family, friends...all that jazz.
It's not brain washing, it's life.
I cannot spoil the storyline in case kids, and adults, are reading this.

Overall (abundance): 91 ... Deserves to be introspected, definitely. It's about emotions, real life, and us all.

And before last night ::

This is a new 4K scan (1080p) remastering and with upgrade audio (Dolby Atmos with the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core).

There are 7.35 billion living on our planet but only one supreme human being with a dallas multipass card to travel the universe and maintain the peace.

Overall: 91 ... If you have seen it before, it's fun to revisit, except for Chris Tucker. If you haven't, go for it; it's worth it.

P.S. I have written two very extensive reviews about the two films just above, but I accidentally deleted them (pushed the wrong key).
It wasn't exactly long like a book, but close. Hopefully you still get the main tag lines. :b

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
And before last night ::

This is a new 4K scan (1080p) remastering and with upgrade audio (Dolby Atmos with the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core).

There are 7.35 billion living on our planet but only one supreme human being with a dallas multipass card to travel the universe and maintain the peace.

Overall: 91 ... If you have seen it before, it's fun to revisit, except for Chris Rock. If you haven't, go for it; it's worth it.

I watched the remastered The Fifth Element last Friday on my 1080i 57" RPTV, and it looked great. A few weeks ago I upgraded my HT speaker cables to the new Shunyata Venom cables, and the sound is fantastic. Perfect. So to speak. Also, the actor is Chris Tucker, not Chris Rock.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched the remastered The Fifth Element last Friday on my 1080i 57" RPTV, and it looked great. A few weeks ago I upgraded my HT speaker cables to the new Shunyata Venom cables, and the sound is fantastic. Perfect. So to speak.

Also, the actor is Chris Tucker, not Chris Rock.

That's right; that was a test to see if people were paying attention. And you passed that test Bud. :b
There is a Chris Rock, and a Chris Tucker...both stand-up comedians and actors. ...The Diva in 'The Fifth Element' is promoted by Chris Tucker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing