* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
LOL.

Received this Tuesday, and it’s on the plate for tonight, or tomorrow night. Music does come first. :)

9DF8CB95-C692-4B06-9D07-9D9866E77EBE.jpeg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Pack up some jelly beans ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this guy twice in the last two weeks.
Why? Because I like the music score from Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard's voice.

It's very poetic. Plus the film is not bad with all those first class actors in their nice sandals and costumes...colorful. ...Like a rainbow of arrows.

Film: 81

Was it worth it over the regular 1080p Blu?
It depends, from our point of view looking @ the screen while the music is playing and blood is flying. ...Not really, but it's not the worst way to contribute to the economy, the American empire.
There is no love story, no chance. It's drama with entertaining revenge in the arena. The colors are bolder, the blood redder, the music more enveloping.

Everyone saw this movie, so no need for a trailer.
Without Hans and Lisa Gladiator wouldn't be so flamboyant.

I wouldn't have liked to live during the Roman Empire and all that bloody entertainment jazz.
I wouldn't have liked living during the bitcoin crash and the loudness war and the sexploitation.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I watched this “Lion” movie last night. The movie really drew me in. It brought me to tears at the ending. I have been very sentimental since I had a son. Does this come with parenthood.

8D8432CD-7D05-4E5D-8DAF-B8BD99089E0E.jpeg

Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's very cool Kal, your comment rings a chord.
In one way somebody is making money, a whole bunch of money for a whole team.
In another way, the film's true value, from the comic books, its writers, ...is open to various contraceptions...ideologies, cultures, concepts, ...the world as we know it today in the movie trends.

We are in the Marvel and DC movie world for many many years to come, we can't escape it. Also, we live more and more in the world of sequel's recipe, and not just from comics.

I can easily put myself in the same Italian designer shoes you're wearing and say Black Panther is totally silly, with two black guys fighting for the kingdom, in a comic and funny way that fits perfectly our adult world.
* The kids must be laughing their heart off. ...And the movie studios too...Disney & gang.

How can we improve the neurons in man's brain ... what kind of entertainment fits its intellect.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am with Kal. Enough with these cookie cutter movies. I have stopped watching them. They are all the same to me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You can't stop this silly world we live in. Might as well accept it and learn to live with it. This is entertainment, this is business, this is big business, and the masses are all part of it. We create this, our culture, our evolution, we choose our own destiny, nobody else. Sure, we don't have to.

@ the end I too agree with you both. But I am weak, very bleak. I'm preprogrammed by the values imposed upon me, the movie world, the rap world, the gold chains, the gold plated guns, the spaceships, the planet's orbit, the TV news, the news channels, the lava flowing, the earth erupting, the fissures opening, the conquest of sanity, ...the inquest.
___

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don’t mind movies that are pure entertainment. I can easily enjoy them. But Marvel (and others) have flooded the screens with tons of movies that are all the same to me. That’s my issue. There is nothing unique in these flicks.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
In another way, the film's true value, from the comic books, its writers, ...is open to various contraceptions...ideologies, cultures, concepts, ...the world as we know it today in the movie trends.
You give them too much credit for their pretensions.

We are in the Marvel and DC movie world for many many years to come, we can't escape it.
Sure, we can. Adults can just ignore them.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You give them too much credit for their pretensions.

Sure, we can. Adults can just ignore them.

It's money in the bank, and money makes this planet spinning around.
There is nothing that can stop it, not in the next billion years, and even after if we are still part of the galaxy.

I give no credit to nobody, we're all free to be entertained the way of the money, all the money in the world, Marvel superheroes included and all the comic book fans. ...DC too. This is Hollywood right next door to where we live, that's their bread and butter, that's everyone's contribution to fill their family's tables. That's the economy rolling in the entertainment business...it creates employment.

The pretensions we leave it to the expert money makers of this industry.

You need to be a strong adult to ignore it, I am not strong...I am weak.
I follow the masses, I see the positive in the negative.
Movies keep kids out of trouble, and adults too.
Black Panther has a good music theme...Africa, African drums, the wildlife, the the animal kingdom; the tiger, the jaguar, the lion, the black panther. ...Planet Earth.

It's a comedy, a super comedy with a superhero having super powers...from comic books, from action comic books. ...Same as Thor, the Jedi with his light saber, the Avengers, the Fantastic 4, X-Men, Logan, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, ...
It's colorful, childish, comic, active, out-of-bound to take people out of their enclavement @ work and make them wearing an Halloween costume after work. ...To dream of an impossible dream, to counterbalance life's boredom and slavery.

We can all ignore it, or not. It's a free choice between silliness and smartness?
If we would watch only smart flicks Hollywood would get smarter.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We are closer in thoughts than what we think.
We're just not fully aware, for various reasons of human mystery.

I agree with you Kal; the hyperventilated buzz from all the movie reviewers elite did get me too.
I respect all opinion, even someone rating Black Panther a big Zero, and same in the opposite direction.
Conflicts started right @ the beginning of the big bang.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The Book of Eli - Denzel, Gary...etc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing