* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched this big bad dude last night...'Avengers: Age of Ultron' in 3D :::

Lol, it's funny that I'm still young inside. :b ...Because this flick is for kids.
But I did like the 3D picture quality...and the mayhem sound and music score wise. ...Some cool CGI effects...and way overboard...but this is Marvel comic books. I'd put this one in a similar category as 'Jupiter Ascending'. ...Even below.

Overall: 65.5 (Film)

Last word: If you have young teenager boys and it's their birthday around this time of the year, that could make a present, and better still if they have a 3D TV.
Technical merits? How important is it if you are not particularly fond of the movie, or of the music selection.
But for an in-depth technical observation:
- 3D Picture quality: 90 for lots of CGI recreations.
- Sound: 87.25 with high reservation. ...In a higher class listening clientele, with audiophile taste: 32.5

________

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I watched this big bad dude last night...'Avengers: Age of Ultron' in 3D :::

Lol, it's funny that I'm still young inside. :b ...Because this flick is for kids.
But I did like the 3D picture quality...and the mayhem sound and music score wise. ...Some cool CGI effects...and way overboard...but this is Marvel comic books. I'd put this one in a similar category as 'Jupiter Ascending'. ...Even below.

Overall: 65.5 (Film)

Last word: If you have young teenager boys and it's their birthday around this time of the year, that could make a present, and better still if they have a 3D TV.
Technical merits? How important is it if you are not particularly fond of the movie, or of the music selection.
But for an in-depth technical observation:
- 3D Picture quality: 90 for lots of CGI recreations.
- Sound: 87.25 with high reservation. ...In a higher class listening clientele, with audiophile taste: 32.5

________

Haha! I watched this very movie last night in 2D and I don't think I even made it halfway through. What an absolute dog of a movie. These comic-book hero movies are getting more and more ridiculous with each new release.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Going thru another batch of Randolf Scott westerns.

We used to watch westerns when I was a kid, after a day at the beach.

I think I'll have to dive back in.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
French Canadian (Quebec) of course, but I can also speak the "good" French from France.

Without accent?

:p :p :p

When you are a true universal cinema lover...I took Arts and Cinema History was part of my curriculum, you appreciate the grand masters...Italian, Japanese, French, American, Canadian, Spain, German, Asia, Europa, Mexico, ...of cinema international.

Absolutely!

I like Leone (Sergio) with his music contributor Morricone (Ennio). ...And about hundreds more from all over the world.

Nothing like Western Spaghetti.

Morricone is one of the greats, I also like Lalo Shifrin.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm with you John; the Batman movies (Cristopher Nolan) I can handle because the music scores I like, and they have a more fun/entertaining touch to them that suit me better.
There are too many comic book movies directly intended for young audiences say aged between 9 and 15 and even for these young little boys to see that hammer hit the bad dude's head and resonate like a can of sardines and amplified one thousand times by a sound mixer with its fake sound recordings downloaded inside his sound mixing console on a digital chip might start to bored them too. ...But there are other young kids who are new to this and their parents buy the tickets and Hollywood cash over one billion dollars per film.
So, it's a cash register that is very active...just like what we see on the screen is just comics out of comic books from comic writers.
The mind behind all this is always the bad versus good and evil...and it makes our world go merry around in circle and around to the four corners surrounded by oceans.

It's a way of speech of course...the point being MONEY and not true beneficial ART for the human race and its own sanity. :b

I admit; I am getting overwhelmed a little, like a nightmare from RAP and Heavy Metal music...and getting to the point of searching for serenity and calm in my brain. Slowly but surely I am fading away towards oblivion...and looking for that butterfly with a hope of sense and sensibility in this world. :b

Fortunately there are other films that might suit me better in my soul and mind...like 'The Martian' perhaps? :b

Anyway, movies are all kind of fun and entertaining for all ages...some we cherish more than others and our age account for it and our education background too. It's the same with our own personal evolution with music...what deep down inside us it brings up in ways of growing up with wisdom, freedom, spirit and sweet emotions.
...Making good smart sense of it all...2D or/and 3D movie watching. ...Stereo or/and multichannel music listening.

Lol, we sure are a funny race...the human race. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I prefer my comic book heroes on their own. Give me a solid Batman movie or Superman or Spiderman, but don't combine the characters as I think it creates a loss of focus. I'm actually not looking forward to the new Batman Vs Superman movie.

Oh....would you want to see a Star Wars Vs Star Trek movie? LOL!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'Poltergeist' last night...in 2D...the original one (1982), story by Steven Spielberg. ...Not the remake.

Overall: 71 (entertainment value...and replay value too)

- Film itself: 80
- Picture quality: 60
- Sound quality: 70
_______

_______

* That flick is 33 years old (a third of a century) and it reflects what was then Spielberg's world of monsters versus young children...like a bad nightmare for the parents. ...Before that there was 'Jaws', ...and we are pretty much familiar with Steven Spielberg's film evolution...big bad shark, monsters, aliens, dinosaurs, and reality check with wars...and also dreams of the heart and soul closer to Steven's real life ('Always').

Films they do reflect trends in the human evolution...we learn from them as we learn from history books about wars and peace.

I watched 'Poltergeist' only out of the blue, just like that...nothing predicted and nothing planned. ...Just like a bland/blind spot in the clear dark sky of the night with its billions of stars scintillating. ...Like Ultron descending within a patch of clouds coming from a different horizon...thirty-three years earlier.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I bought the first 3 MI movies in BR for $18.00. Just watched Mission Impossible I: Tom Cruse looked like he was about 14. These movies are such a million miles from possibility (e.g. the helicopter scene in the tunnel), it makes them much more fun to watch. And CGI has come a long way since that movie. I was entertained as was my bride!!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Watched Mad Max Fury Road last night.

All I can say is wow! I got WAY more out of that than I ever expected!

Very well done, all the stunts are real with CGI added to them. The added features worth the watch.

First half is a chase, second half is a race, very well done.

Unfortunately my theater is packed in boxes right now so I watched it on TV speakers, it will be my first watch when I set it back up.

Loved it on every level.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Watched Mad Max Fury Road last night.

All I can say is wow! I got WAY more out of that than I ever expected!

Very well done, all the stunts are real with CGI added to them. The added features worth the watch.

First half is a chase, second half is a race, very well done.

Unfortunately my theater is packed in boxes right now so I watched it on TV speakers, it will be my first watch when I set it back up.

Loved it on every level.

I started reading your post slowly, I said to myself "great, another member who also enjoyed 'Max'", then I got to the fifth line of your post Mike, and lol ... from your TV speakers. :b
Well, all I can tell you now is that when you're ready with your room (don't have to be a full 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup, but that would be the full operation blast for sure), even from a modest 5.1-channel surround sound setup, you are due for another dimensional experience of higher level.

I understand, and I'm just saying that more is to come. :b

? Also, sometimes in a near future Warner Bros might release George Miller's 'Mad Max: Fury Road' preferred Silent Black and White Cut (Version).
I'm not just 100% certain, and even less so if it will be in 3D. Myself I'm a big fan of B&W pictures with an artistic flair. ...And in 3D more than in 2D...when creatively well executed.

But yes, Mad Max is sure a fun ride...very entertaining. :cool:
There is of course a 3D version (highly recommended by yours truly) and both the 2D and 3D versions are encoded with Dolby Atmos...with those new overhead channels and with more overall precise immersive sound envelopment...from the basic floor speakers. ...I am not set for it yet...still shopping around and gathering essential elements to complete the project with some future-proofing equilibrium...with DTS:X adding to the sound soup. ...Music in surround is also part of the equation...so it's important there too, and DTS Neural:X is an up-mixer I want to see what it does with music, and if it is not better than Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU), then Auro-3D with Auro-Matic will become the focus of things to come.

I mentioned all this because I think it's important that a film like 'Mad Max: Fury Road' which was encoded with one of those new 3D surround sound codecs (here Atmos) can eventually be experienced by more people in its full original glory...by myself included. ...I believe in those new 3D sound technologies. ...And for Movies, and for Music too.
And it helps too that 'Max' is not only a cool action/sci-fi flick but also that it comes in 3D...it sure adds more "dimensional depth" to it.

It's a lovely day. :b

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My system is 7.3 no Atmos and trust me inside my brain I was watching it on my Sony projector and listening on my Infinity Interludes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My system is 7.3 no Atmos and trust me inside my brain I was watching it on my Sony projector and listening on my Infinity Interludes.

But in reality you watched it on TV speakers. :b ...Your brain doesn't count Mike. ;-) :-D

Last night I committed a sacrilege...I revisited a DVD movie ::

* 'The Good Thief' (2002) directed by Neil Jordan and starring Nick Nolte.

Overall (film value; not the DVD technical aspects which are decent enough): 77

If you like a good film with interesting characters doing their chops with verve, and that keeps you riveted to the screen...this might just be your movie ticket.
Recommended. ...It has that James Bond type of flavor, and Nick Nolte is the new double 07 with his personal touch.
Neil Jordan is a very interesting film director..."audacious" is one word among others that describes him eloquently.
If you haven't seen this film before...give it a shot...I don't think you'll hate me for suggesting it. ...Expect nothing, trust your impulsive nature. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Some Blu-ray reissues don't improve the DVD release by much (if any). You know that.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The wife reminds me of that every day! :eek:

But in reality you watched it on TV speakers. :b ...Your brain doesn't count Mike. ;-) :-D______________

* 'The Good Thief' (2002) directed by Neil Jordan and starring Nick Nolte.

Overall (film value; not the DVD technical aspects which are decent enough): 77

If you like a good film with interesting characters doing their chops with verve, and that keeps you riveted to the screen...this might just be your movie ticket.
Recommended. ...It has that James Bond type of flavor, and Nick Nolte is the new double 07 with his personal touch.
Neil Jordan is a very interesting film director..."audacious" is one word among others that describes him eloquently.
If you haven't seen this film before...give it a shot...I don't think you'll hate me for suggesting it. ...Expect nothing, trust your impulsive nature. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
October is the month of Halloween, and last night I watched one of the best Blu-ray 3D animation movie (hi-end movie watching with audio to match) :::

In the spirit of...

* Sure I saw it before (last year or two-three years ago near Halloween), and it was again a high-end experience...visually and auditory. ...Stunning audio effects in some scenes...near the end in particular. ...And it's a fun animation flick too.

So, if you're into the best that cinema animation and audio can provide from your high-end audio/video gear...you can't go wrong here.

Overall (Film): 80
- Technical merit: 92

* Halloween is always a fun time with the kids, and in carving that pumpkin. I remember when I was seven, before and after that time...and coming back to home after the night run...lots of goodies in the bag. :b ...This was high-end good time back then. ...Do you remember some of those memorable good memories? ...I do. :b ...Just like it was yesterday...over half century ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I just had to...the 2D version this time around (the first time I watched it in 3D).
Well...I won't be re-watching this fella for a long time. ...Not from this package anyway...perhaps in the next extended edition (3.5 hours long),
on UHD Blu-ray, and with a new remastered audio soundtrack...DTS:X (or Dolby Atmos...it don't matter to me).

Overall score (revision): 55 ...I feel generous, still today.

* And before last night I revisited one of my favorite 3D girl :::

More human interactivity (emotional touch) with a PIXAR animation feature than with a Marvel comic book based movie.
Disney...I would love to see them on the creative design board again...like in the good old days...something tangible, human, fun, good story, good 3D animation, good everything truly artistic and rewarding for the spirit and soul of all children, men and women.

Brave ... overall score (film value and technical merits...3D picture and sound envelopment): 89.5

Last word: 'Brave' PIXAR on BR 3D is cherished animation art. ...Not to the same highest level as 'Ratatouille' or 'Up' but right there among them.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Train Robbers earlier then
Jeremiah Johnson

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ron, from Flix, VHS tapes or Laserdiscs?

* Robert Redford...the better of the two (the other with John Wayne).
Both dvd's. Never saw 'Train Robbers' before. Burt Jennedy written & directed. Have always enjoyed his screenplays with Boetticher as I did this one. Saw JJ at the ins on its original release and quite a few times since. A couple in this sub-genre I like are a pair of Richard Harris films. 'A Man Called Horse' & 'Man in the Wilderness'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing