* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For the last few days the sky is fully covered by smoke from the forest fires burning all over. @ night the moon is red, and last night she was real hot red.
Depending of where you live you might see what I'm seeing or not.
The air quality is also a concern for people with heart conditions etc., including me. Here they rate it a 7. In Kamloops, British Columbia it is the worst in the world!
Anyway, they recommend all people to stay inside (Kamloops).
_____

Summer time is beach time, sailing time, lakes, oceans, restaurants, barbecues, baseball games, golf, swimming, outside activities, jogging, soccer, bicycling, walking in the forests trails, on the beach barefoot touching the ocean, birds watching, bikinis watching, dreaming (all seasons that one), relaxing and vacationing.
I watch less movies during summertime than wintertime.

With the air quality, a red moon above in the sky, last night for a change I decided to watch a flick @ home with a brand new fresh battery.

Active 3D and 1.78:1 aspect ratio (it is also available in HDR/UHD Blu-ray).
I know that all the members here @ WBF are 3D fans ;) , so it should be entertaining reading.

Well, this is based on the Japanese animated flick of the same name, for people familiar with great cinema visuals and music scores.
Right from the bat you can tell that 3D is not dead! Not for me thank you very much. I won't be your 3D preacher, so feel free to experience Dunkirk in 2D @ your nearest IMAX 70mm theater. Because no matter 2D, 3D, DVD, BR or UHD BR, films from today or yesterday (the 20s in b&w, silent), a film is like a book, a music album, a ballet, an opera, a classical performance, a ride in a fast sportscar, a dive in the ocean, a good wind in the sail, a feast for the senses, an experience. It's like sitting between two loudspeakers and imaging in the middle, it's like a channeling information center created by magic...music magic, cinema magic...between two ears, between two eyes, and getting the message in the brain.

I don't know if this was intended to be 3-dimensional or not; what I know is that for me it certainly was.
From my fair collection of 3D Blu-ray films and documentaries and music concerts, Ghost in the Shell 3D is among the best top echelon of the 3D cinema ladder.

I won't quote any quotes and I won't provide any youtube trailers and no reviews from anyone but me.
In the overall scheme of life; technicalities, preferences, performances, acting, accompanying music, visual compositions, synchronization, synchronicity, multiplicity, complicity, complexity, simplicity, textures, colors, hues, effects, sensory pleasures, sensuality, ...overall 3D experience (visual and auditory and film satisfaction based on the original animated movie of the same name): 84

Dissected:
- Technical (sound & 3D picture & bass punch): 92
- Film ride: 76

Last word: Forget UHD get 3D. But if you can't (or won't), get the Blu, or rent it, or wait for Netflix, ...I recommend it.
IMO 3D is the way to experience it, just like they say that Dunkirk (2D) is best to be experienced in IMAX 70mm.
Films are no different than music albums; they are experiences in our lives, for the senses. And some films and albums can have deep emotions.
Ghost in the Shell doesn't have any of that emotional stuff; it wasn't the intention in a world of robots. It's a sportscar ride in the city, a 3D screen's tour-de-force.
_____

Don't rely on those below:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I forgot to mention: Tron: Legacy 3D is another Blu-ray experience I really liked, with the music score. Ghost in the Shell 3D is in a similar vein.
And, Tron (the original) was a computer animated flick, revolutionary in 1982 when I first saw it @ the theater.
The original animated Ghost in the Shell is from 1995.

_____

Visibility today (I am outside) is very limited, because of the forest fires creating a smoke's screen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are we afraid from film critics when Hollywood doesn't a-greed?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studios-fight-back-withering-rotten-tomatoes-scores-1025575

Summertime is big business for Hollywood films. Some popular film reviews websites have a financial influence on Hollywood movie studios.
Should they regulate the movie critics? That's exactly what they're trying to do. This is not the free world, it's the capitalist world.
Who cares about good films, as long as they make money @ the box office.

I have zero interest in viewing 'The Emoji Movie', none. Not because of the film's critics but because it doesn't appeal to me, perhaps on Netflix for the kids between 3 and 5, on Saturday morning around six AM. ...@ low volume, in the basement, with good soundproofing, and a babysitter.

'Baywatch' (2017 the movie)? Lol ...Even the Rock is defending it.

I agree, make good movies if you want to earn money.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I checked out Ghost in the Shell in 3D the other day - it looks great!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I checked out Ghost in the Shell in 3D the other day - it looks great!

You did! That makes two of us who agree on its 3D coolness factor. :cool:
And if you also noticed the music score and bass impact complimented very well the 3-dimensional picture immersion.
...A nice polished/colorful picture with great details; some awesome technical execution.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The moon was a bright tangerine/red color again last night; apocalyptic looking.
It was inspiring enough for me to revisit this:

This time I watched the 2D version, mainly for the audio. I watched the 3D version a while back; I did not comment on it.
The 3D version is DTS-HD MA 5.1 - the 2D version is Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1) and also DTS-HD MA 5.1
This is a Warner Bros flick. And it amazes me that in the year 2017 the 3D version (picture) is without the 3D audio. I just don't know what WB is thinking, and it's not the first time; they did the same with other 3D BR titles, recently with The LEGO Batman Movie. Anyway...

Kong: Skull Island is a 'comedy' (to me). And right from the bat the 2D version is flat and boring. The 3D version is superior and more entertaining; that's the one I recommend.
But the audio in the 2D version is superior. And this is where resides the dilemma created by Warner Brothers Hollywood movie studios. That is my biggest gripe in this movie Blu-ray 3D business. If you are going to release a film on 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray and 2D UHD (HDR or Dolby Vision) Blu-ray, don't skip the Dolby Atmos audio on any of them, because movie lovers they love all type of formats with their chosen preference. Alright, with this out of the way now ... the movie:

"A team of scientists explore an uncharted island in the Pacific, venturing into the domain of the mighty Kong, and must fight to escape a primal Eden."

Right, a team of scientists...lol

The cast is funny, effectively, with Samuel L. Jackson, John C. Reilly, John Goodman, John Ortiz, Brie Larson, Tom Hiddleston, Tian Jing, Shea Whigham, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Terry Notary and Toby Kebbell as Kong. ...And everyone else.
http://www.slashfilm.com/skull-island-king-kong-actor/

It's just a funny movie with many funny scenes and lines and facial expressions and a huge hairy Kong. The CGI effects are over-the-top funny too. And it makes for some funny action thrills and funny tension. I enjoyed it. I prefer in 3D though; it adds more to the 3-dimensional immersive comical aspect of it, and to Kong.
The bamboo forest is cool in 3D, and other scenes too that are much more rewarding than just flat 2D. It's just too bad for the audio though, but the picture here is more important, and the music tunes are fine in 3D, mighty fine. Yes, the music tunes are great...something everyone here is going to truly like.

I'm going to rate it for the 3D Blu, and the 2D Blu (everything; picture, sound, film):
A) 3D ? 81
B) 2D ? 67
_____

Last word: If you haven't seen it, do so because the humor alone is worth it. And you might be pleasantly surprised with some other aspects too, like the music tunes and some action scenes (CGI). Overall it's a fun ride with fun acting.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For the last couple nights and posts I mentioned the red/orange/tangerine colored moon, due to the smoke from the forest fires in British Columbia.
I am sitting on the deck outside as in the now, and she looks full and again a very bright orange/red color. She is quite spectacular.
It is 10:10 PM right now, Pacific Time.
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/166491/full-sturgeon-moon-august-2017

This is not ? my photograph, it's just to show you what she resembles:

Why am I mentioning the moon in the movie thread? Because she is inspiring on what to watch next, as she did for the last two flicks I watched.

I'm thinking Batman in 3D (because of the bat sign/logo light in the night sky when in need for help), but I'm not sure yet ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I liked the first LEGO movie, in 3D (Everything is Awesome Edition), and kids liked it too:

So I went for The LEGO Batman Movie 3D (I've watched it last night):

Is it better than the first one? It depends; but I found it a good complement, and perhaps slightly missing in construction but invigorating in humor.

"A cooler-than-ever Bruce Wayne must deal with the usual suspects as they plan to rule Gotham City, while discovering that he has accidentally adopted a teenage orphan who wishes to become his sidekick."

_____

Technically I'd say it's on par with the original (3D version). It's LEGO animation, the stuff we were playing with when growing up...remember?
I think we like or we don't; me I like.

Overall (everything...humor, merit, 3D technical, sound): 71

Last word: It doesn't have to be a masterpiece to enjoy a LEGO movie with Batman as the hero.
Check it out, I think you'd like it too.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
My wife and I watched Gifted. My kind of movie. Loved the way her uncle was raising her, and as I was supposed to, wanted her grandmother to go play in the traffic on a busy Interstate.

I have two movies (Kong and Ghost) I have not yet watched but will have to watch alone, as my wife does not like these kinds of movies.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I have two movies (Kong and Ghost) I have not yet watched but will have to watch alone, as my wife does not like these kinds of movies.
I know the feeling.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Your wives aren't alone. Both of the movies mentioned contain guns and killing and violence. Many women don't like violence and won't watch any of it.
We should have a movie section for non-violent films. I might just do that... Or, we simply mention when we see a peaceful movie, I usually do.

It's not always easy; some people can't handle dentist scenes. 'Wonder Woman' was directed by a woman, Patty Jenkins; no dentist, no guns.
'Detroit' was directed by a woman, Kathryn Bigelow; no dentist. • http://variety.com/2017/film/news/detroit-box-office-analysis-kathryn-bigelow-1202517066/

Chuck just watched 'Gifted'

That one you can tell the love of your life about. ...And the kids (PG-13 rating).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And women like their own music too; they don't like violent music. They like The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Classical music, dancing music and that kind of peaceful/happy stuff.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night was very quiet...and peaceful.

I watched it in 3D. Wow, not bad @ all with that extra dimensional depth; anything helps here.

"Director Guy Ritchie (Madonna's ex, 2000-2008) puts a stylized twist on the familiar Camelot mythos with this medieval action adventure starring The Sons of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam as King Arthur."

It's also in 2D for the brave ones who dare. :b I'm just kidding.

It's a fantasy/action/sword flick, with fights, fists, blood and macho caricatures. ...A 'stylized twist' for certain. @ not point during the entire film are we transported in the medieval period time, zero. It's a 3D video game for the 2017 generation, a dance of fights and music rain. I don't see any other way to watch this film than in 3DDD. It adds depth to the fantasy world.

Overall:
- 3D Picture (cinematography) only ? 85 (John Mathieson)
- Music only ? 76 (Daniel Pemberton )
- Acting only ? 69 (Charlie Hunnam, Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey, Djimon Hounsou, Aidan Gillen, Jude Law,Eric Bana)
- Movie only ? 55 (Guy Ritchie)

Last word: Get in line and see if you can get the sword out of the rock.
_____

Budget: $175 million
Box office: $143.5 million

Box office

"King Arthur: Legend of the Sword has grossed $39.2 million in the United States and Canada and $101.6 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $140.8 million, against a production budget of $175 million.

In North America, the film was released alongside Snatched and was initially projected to gross around $25 million from 3,702 theaters during its opening weekend. It made $1.15 million from Thursday night previews at about 3,200 theaters, but after making just $5.3 million on Friday, weekend projections were lowered to $15 million. It ended up debuting to $15.4 million, finishing third at the box office. Deadline.com noted that due to the film's $175 million production budget, as well as at least an additional $100 million spent on marketing, the film was destined to be a box office bomb. Regarding the cost of the film, the site quoted one finance expert as saying: "Make original IP [intellectual property] for a cost effective price. If it works then spend more if necessary on the sequel. King Arthur should have been done for $60M-$80M. Warner Bros. had no reason to spend $175M-plus on this picture." Comparing its opening to cost, IndieWire called the film's failings "historic". The Hollywood Reporter noted that the film will likely lose about $150 million. In its second weekend the film grossed $7.2 million (a drop of 53.5%), finishing 5th at the box office.

The film debuted at #1 in an estimated 29 countries, including Russia and Scandinavia, with openings to follow in the United Kingdom, France, South Korea, and Australia. Over its opening weekend, it made only $29.1 million worldwide, in 51 non-American countries."

_____

For people into some numbers. And no animals were hurt during the filming. And there are no guns, zero; only the war tools from the period, barbarians with swords and arrows ... all that jazz. A love story it ain't. The music and choreography in 3D is the main attraction here, IMO

Full version ?
_____

Bonus:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night (2017):

"First there was an opportunity......then there was a betrayal. Twenty years have gone by. Much has changed but just as much remains the same. Mark Renton returns to the only place he can ever call home.They are waiting for him: Spud, Sick Boy, and Begbie. Other old friends are waiting too: sorrow, loss, joy, vengeance, hatred, friendship, love, longing, fear, regret, diamorphine, self-destruction and mortal danger, they are all lined up to welcome him, ready to join the dance."

When Danny Boyle (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours, Steve Jobs), the film director came up with Trainspotting (1996), it took few viewings before I could make it (language). I saw it @ the theater when first released, here in Victoria.
I have learned to love that film, with good intensity. I have two DVD versions and the Blu-ray.

T2 is great; the actors twenty years later...it's a riot. It's in 2D.

If you liked the first original one like I did, I think you are going to like this one too, like me.
There is not much to add, just put it on your list of flicks to watch.

Overall: 80 - Recommended

Last word: Choose life

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Nevada Smith. Again
Always liked this film. Good western, well acted and directed. Fine classic western themed score. My real attraction to it are the two main characters, though. Max Sands and Jonas Cord. My favorite characters from the old Carpetbaggers novel when I read it many years ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Western...that inspires me Ron; I'll see if I have any 3D Western movie for tonight.

Just kidding, I don't have that and I can't think of any Western on Blu-ray 3D. ...In 2D plenty good ones, all the spaghetti from Sergio. ...And John Wayne.
____

By the way, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, I forgot to rate one very important element, the editing: 20 (from a maximum of 100).
I did not like the editing; one of the reasons for the film's low score of 55. The saving grace was the 3D element, and the music score, or the film overall score would have been 33.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was just curious; I checked the trailer (1981 film):

I can see some Tarantino's inspiration in there. :b ...The 1st black and white scene from above: Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (reminding me).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing