* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In war there are no winners, only survivors, and widows.

Mel Gibson is back on the 'podium'. I like Gibson, he has many kids (nine, known), from three women...I think. Plus he's a great actor and film's director. Bonus: Money (lots of it). ...And he has a cute girlfriend:

_______

I watched + Hacksaw Ridge last night:

"A biopic about World War II Army Medic Desmond Doss, who was awarded the Medal of Honour for his rescue efforts on the battlefields of Okinawa despite being a conscientious objector to the war and refusing to bear a weapon."

It's based on a true story, and quite an incredible story too. We fight for what we believe in, or we don't for the same.
We are introduced to a man, who lost some close friends from World War I, young friends. He's @ the cemetery, talking to them and intoxicated.
He's coming back home after his prayers, to his wife and two young boys.
The two boys are playing and fighting in the front of the house, on the lawn. @ one point one of them grabbed a brick nearby on the ground, and smashed his brother's forehead.
From that moment on, after realizing how easy it is to kill (his brother is like unconscious), and within starts to pray in front of a poster/prayer on the wall.

We see how broken his Dad is because of losing his young friends @ war, and hating himself to have survived and not his friends.
Alcohol is his rescue exit door, but not for his wife, and not for his two boys. War is a terrible thing, no doubt; it affects everyone in the chain and for very long times.

The young boy who almost killed his brother, will abide by the "rule" of you shall not kill.
Years later, he saved someone from a car accident and brought him to the hospital. There he met a young nurse and falls in love.
He wants to become a medic, and he's motivated to enlist in the army. His Dad is less than please; that goes without saying.

He finally joined the army, but not before asking his girlfriend's hand in marriage...she said yes.
He takes the bus, arrived @ camp, starts training, and he does not want to carry a rifle. He just want to be a medic @ the outbreak of WW II.
Tough times he is facing now with his Sergeant and with his fellow soldiers.
And it keeps getting worse and worse...

He finally get his wish, as a "conscientious objector", because of his father. ...Best to watch, I said plenty already.

Well, Mel Gibson directed it, the performances are superb, the story emotionally charged, and the combat scenes decapitating.
The cinematography is superb; @ one point there is a camera mounted on the rifle, and it offers a perspective that is unique following the soldier carrying the gun. It's like the rifle is alive, and moving sporadically and linearly @ the same time, and looking ahead stable, affirmative. When you'll see it you'll know what I mean.

The combats are fierce, no mercy, body parts, blood, grenades, bullets coming from all directions and buzzing over your eyes like bees wanting to put their darts into your eyeballs. And you'd better watch your other balls too. Brief, the entire surface of your body is exposed to all the elements of war kills. ...Visually, sideways, edgeways, audibly with force vengeance, ...just watch your entire self from toes to head and even from below and above. It's a total carnage, an apocalypse, the zone of no return, the world of hell.
The red blood color is accurate. And everything else still attached to it. This is not a virtual 3D tour, not a Disney ride. It's more real than dropping inside an erupting volcano with lava propelled high up into the air by the raging flames of intense crashing heat. ...Some' like that anyway. Not for young kids and not for all the ladies out there, the romantic type.

But the story itself of that young man, and what he believes in and what he did; that, is for all to know.

It's easy to get carry away, and describe how he saved seventy-five of his fellow soldiers by pure will and physical strength, and the tactic employed, and the faces of his fellow soldiers when they realized what he was doing, that I will say simply; you've got to see it. The savings are as devastating as the killings. The difference here is that they are saved and become survivors with less widows overall. ...Seventy-five of them. Just unbelievable!

There are other scenes I didn't even go near, and dramatically construed. It's a terrible war movie masterfully composed and acted.

Picture quality (Blu-ray): 85
Music score and sound effects: 95

Overall (all, film and acting and power and value and must see for its true story): 92

Final world: In war there are no winners, only widows, and saved survivors.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm not bored; if I was I wouldn't watch movies and I wouldn't listen to music and I wouldn't write and walk under the sun and the moon among the forests and mountains.
________

Last night I watched Nocturnal Animals on Blu:

It is the sequel of the original film 'Arrival', with Amy Adams. ;-)
A touch of humor can certainly be used here with this flick from "outer space". :b
It's a strange twist between two very charismatic and talented actors; Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Another talented actor that I like playing in it is Michael Shannon.

"An art-gallery owner reads a novel written by her ex-husband, and becomes greatly disturbed by the possibility that the story was inspired by their marriage."
______

This film won't be for everyone; right from the bat. There are some small disturbing/perturbing images created on film.
Art is not contentment of all seasons. ...Meaning that in our stance of space and time different emotions are in movement. It's the same with music.

- Music by: Abel Korzeniowski
- Director: Tom Ford

It's a dark corridor/journey/book contrasting with bright diversions from the modern art-gallery.
It's a tough film to evaluate because the book story's written by her ex is from Susan's own vision/interpretation.
And it's a sick/twisted book, no doubt about it, with very twisted characters. It's hurtful.

The picture quality is very nice, the night scenes well detailed, the color's contrast impacting.
The music's core is also contrasting; @ times virulent and discomforting and other times solitaire...simple slow playing piano notes with sustain.

It's an unparalleled world without ends. ...A tormented affair between reality and fiction. And it has nothing to do with 'Arrival'. :b
It's an ex-relationship between two individuals connecting somehow through a book, a very twisted book.
The message? What message? Look for one if you dare...

Overall (film's vision): 69

Last world: Check it out; it won't untwist our world.

And, I'd be very curious to read comments from the ones who saw it and/or just about to. Steve?
{I have flashbacks of the French film 'Elle', and I understand the vast ocean of traveling waves...visual and mental composition/opinion; valid in an invalidated contradiction of nocturnal landscapes.}
______

The power of music, the power of photographs, the power of moving images, the power of books, words, the power of people's imagination.

There are 7.5 billion people living on this planet, our world today.
Millions of kids live on the street, sleep on the street, on cardboard, with everyone else around walking/driving without even looking.
Every single day around the world more than 22,000 children died.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got "Gods of Egypt" from the library. I had incredibly low expectations. For shits and giggles, I got it to spin for five minutes and presumed I would watch no more, so into the machine it went.

I was surprised. The movie was visually sumptuous and gorgeous from beginning to end, a real eye candy treat, with lots of variation in the scenes. I love the visually beautiful in movies. Even in this day of CGI wonders, this one stood out for excellence. It was more like a cartoon/animated computer game with actors. The cast was good, though, and the acting was good, too. The actors weren't just lounging around, they were into it.

I loved "Dark City", one my classic faves from the same director, Alex Proyas. No, I am not a highbrow movie watcher, but Gods kept me entertained from beginning to end.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I remember seeing it.* It was like a play, like a theater play...with a bunch of flying CGI stuff.
Yeah, Alex Proyas had seen better days...'The Crow' and 'Dark City'.

* 3D Blu-ray (it's also in 4K), with good oomph in the bass department.

I think Rotten Tomatoes had it a little overrated, @ 16%.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maybe I should add it to my "movies I am embarrassed to admit I like list". It's a pretty long list.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lol Carl, I'm glad you share your movie experiences. Your humor is so much needed on this planet right now.

Your take was excellent; the gorgeous colors, the sumptuous girls, the polished decor sets, real eye candy treat, the visually beautiful in movies, all is attractive and spot on. That's what movies are all about; diversion from reality. We love to be entertained.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A few new ones this week

Arrival
Reacher: Never go Back
The Accountant

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
We watched this:

SourGrapesPoster_BlueIce.jpg

It was fun.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched Doctor Strange in 3D on Blu-ray last night:

I've seen it @ the theater last year in November, in 3D, but it wasn't a good theater, mediocre @ best. I will never go back there, ever.
______

"A neurosurgeon named Stephen Strange seeks an otherworldly cure for a severe injury, and his quest leads him to study the art of sorcery from a mystic known as the Ancient One. Later, Strange must battle a rival who plans to cause chaos by accessing the Dark Dimension."

Starring:
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Rachel McAdams
- Benedict Wong
- Michael Stuhlbarg
- Benjamin Bratt
- Scott Adkins
- Mads Mikkelsen
- Tilda Swinton

It is the fourteenth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange_(film)

Number fourteen is good, because it was great entertainment. And the 3D experience was supremely pleasant.
It's a film that has to be viewed under that 3D light aspect ratio: 2.39:1 and 1.78:1
Some scenes were made for that (((3D))) immersive presentation, with verve and panache.
I did not watch the 2D version, and I just don't know what tomorrow might bring. ...Someday perhaps, in 2D/4K.
Few scenes are a little dark but that's normal routine with Marvel comic book superheroes. And in space it's rather dark.

What we have here is an exceptionally well executed 3D tour-de-force from its hi-tek CGI effects with plenty of adrenaline doses of 'hallucinogenetically' trippy visuals.
The film itself is entertaining too, with cool characters who perform well together. And the development/construction of the storyline kept me interested.
Sure, some scenes are a little cheesy, and there are several that are cool and well photographed (angles and sharpness, polished and rich and colorful, even @ night).

It feels strange a little to share my 3D Blu-ray experience in a world of 4K Blu-ray when all the TVs in 2017 abandoned the 3D feature on their sets.
And also in an Ultra High-End Audiophile forum like What's Best Forum.
But I get over that real fast. This BR 3D flick is among the best, one of best (((3D))) movie experiences I had @ home.

Overall (film and technical 3D prowess, including music score and special effect sounds, la la la): 88

Last word: It's a 3D adrenaline rush @ the movies, it's a 3D trip in high-octane definition and resolution.
______

* If you have an older 3D TV (or 3D front projector) and 3D BR player it will work, if you a newer 3D/4K TV (or 4k/3D PJ) and newer 4k/3D BR player it will also work. You just have to sit tight, wear your 3D googles (two Gs), drop a tab of acid, and let it go all free. :b

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
Well let's see,oh yeah I watched..Interview With A Vampire,and just learned that[Thandie Newton]was in it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night; Academy Oscar winner for 2017 Best Picture:

"At once a vital portrait of contemporary African American life and an intensely personal and poetic meditation on identity, family, friendship, and love, MOONLIGHT is a groundbreaking piece of cinema that reverberates with deep compassion and universal truths. Anchored by extraordinary performances from a tremendous ensemble cast, Barry Jenkins's staggering, singular vision is profoundly moving in its portrayal of the moments, people, and unknowable forces that shape our lives and make us who we are."

I had zero expectation; I went through it as if I have never heard of it.
From the beginning all was casual and very simple. Just like in real life. And it could have been happening right here across the street.
The first thing that grabbed my attention was the sincerity of the actors. That alone kept me interested, and it was worth it in the long run.
The actors put their heart into telling Chiron's story; as if it was their own true story, as if it was our own true story, as if it was the world's own true story.
It is not an easy story, and that's the point. Life is not easy like if we were in Hollywood in La La Land. This is Miami's land, and with all the influences that come with it.
It is not the life of the rich and famous with white mansions by the beaches and caviar and champagne and parties with beautiful bodies of the cutest sculpted girls and million dollars cars and boats.

It's the street life we all grew up in, with fights and drugs and family and friends and school...all that jazz.
It's depressing even, if you don't have the support. It's ironic too what happened @ the Oscars the other night, with that wrong red envelope.
It's like two worlds colliding with each other and wondering around...

This film showed me that without proper support from family, friends in life, without good education...it's easy to get lost in a sea of desperation.
It's a world's matter, it's an affair that concerns us all, it's an equilibrium that is not understood by our own societies and the reason of where we are here today.

In that perspective no wonder it won the Oscar for Best Picture, and deservedly so, even without seeing 'La La Land' and 'Manchester by the Sea' ...yet.
And it makes it even more tragic and awkward what happened that night @ the end, @ Oscars night.

This is so simple, casual, well acted with true dedication and heart and realistic approach that it won the Academy voter's heart.

This is no 'Deadpool' or 'Doctor Strange' type of flick. This is no Hollywood musical either. This is real life across our own streets.

Overall (film only because technical merits are secondary here, very): 86 (4.25 stars out of 5)
But it's not easy to rate a movie that rip your heart apart like in real life. This one goes to the actor's performance.

Last word ? Music by: Nicholas Britell
______

* I saw 'Arrival' and 'Hacksaw Ridge' and I liked them both. But 'Moonlight' touches the heart deeper...IMO.
And I've yet to see 'Hidden Figures' and 'Lion'. ...Same as 'Fences' and 'La La Land'.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited 'Arrival' last night. ...Good for the brain.
______

The night before; 'Moana' in 3D:

"Young navigator Moana (voice of Auli'i Cravalho) teams with demigod Maui (Dwayne Johnson) to locate a legendary island, and together the pair explore fantastical lands and encounter incredible sea creatures in this animated adventure from Disney. The film's soundtrack includes contributions from Lin-Manuel Miranda, the Tony and Grammy-winning creator of the wildly popular stage musical +Hamilton. Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker."

Pop-out colorful animated Disney images abound aplenty to give the film texture and solidity.
It's good for the entire family, with the Disney's magic touch in the heart of the sea of our children.

Well recommended: 90

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Three nights ago we watched "Manchester By The Sea". Not our kind of movie but I do understand why the "critics" liked it. Before that, "Arrival" for the 2nd time. So much to think about. And before that, "American Sniper". Last night (at the actual local theater) "The Shack". Won't be everyone's choice but, again, much to think about.

Next up, either "Passengers" (should be here Monday), "Duel" which was Speilberg's first movie (on TV) and because of a car accident my wife was involved in, she won't watch it with me, or "Hacksaw Ridge".

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Chuck,

I too watched 'Manchester by the Sea' couple nights ago. I wanted to write a short review, time wasn't on.

'Manchester by the Sea' is a depressing story...putting a gun to your temple and miss...the guy couldn't have it any lower.
Yeah, it's a tough film; he didn't have much of a break, a sad unfortunate set of circumstances @ the most destructive emotional level.
I would rate it @ around 77 and with a note; not for everyone. ...A good and powerful film.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It would be nice to comment only on smart movies...I'll try my very best by putting my white suit on, white suede shoes and white satin bowtie...

I watched the 3D version. ///
\\\\ 4K is for later on when I'll decide that I'm ready (I'm always slow with things that I don't want to complicate my life too much with).
______

"A passenger (Chris Pratt) aboard a spacecraft traveling to a distant planet is awakened from suspended animation by a technical glitch -- 90 years before the vessel is due to reach its destination. Faced with the possibility that he will live out the rest of his life alone, he considers waking up another traveler (Jennifer Lawrence) in order to have a companion. Michael Sheen and Laurence Fishburne co-star. Directed by Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game)."

The film starts with a less than stellar CGI spaceship in collision with an asteroid. But you have a sense of some black space in 3D.
Then it's a one person show with our famous Chris Pratt (Jim). ...But eventually to be joined by the lovely good looking Jennifer Lawrence (Aurora), thanks to the good choosing by Jim because it is quite lonely in space all by yourself, so a beautiful companion is welcome.

Basically it's an interactive sci-fi communication exchange between two passengers inside a spaceship with ultra modern decors. It looks very clean too...I did not see many particles of dust in the ship; my Mum would love that. The dialog is banal, even boring, and bordering on the forgivable real fast, instantaneously.
Tra-la-la two more characters are introduced, one a robot from the UK (accent), a bartender. The other is a deck officer who wake up a year later.

The film has no vitamin, it's a decor set to show your new polished soap opera TV with two young popular actors for the young generation of iPhone/tablets moviegoers.
It looks very fine on a bigger screen too. But does it really matter between a nice polished picture from a 6" to 260" screen and in 3D (or 4K) when the film brings nothing in your heart and soul? Plus your brain needs to remain outside the back porch door...with a summer mosquito screen on it.

If you want to show off your new 4K OLED TV, I've read that the 4K version is sumptuous with the colors of the decors.
In 3D they are more subdued but still shining. The 3D space gave me an additional exposition...so that helps a little on the attraction aspect but not on the spiritual one.
Should I rate this film for its technical visual aspects, or for its overall content experience?
By the way the music score is by: Thomas Newman (it is fine, but not sublime and not raising the poor dialog/script).

Overall score (film merit mainly, the acting, and with a small dose of technical ingredients...the decor sets): 33

Last word: It's not like living in the country side with the tasks of working the land and dusting the dust. It's first class room service in an ultra modern condo...Mum's style.
______

It's for the high class people who hire valets to do all the turntable's adjustments and cleaning the audio rack. I didn't see any TT.
It's a hi tek suite in space for the future people not living on Earth anymore because of too much dust in the Earth's own atmospheric layer (ozone).
But even in space we're not free of collisions/conflicts. And communal unions exist anywhere.

Then it's worth it to make an effort down here first. ...More realistic? You betcha! :b

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you want to show off your new 4K OLED TV, I've read that the 4K version is sumptuous with the colors of the decors.
Watched it last night that way (HDR OLED). :) It is absolutely stunning. Combined with fabulous music track and a story that my wife and I very much liked, it made for very joyous evening for us!

It is a nice departure from "western in space" that 99% of science fiction seems to be.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morten_Tyldum#Selected_filmography

Same guy who directed 'The Imitation Game'
Before that: 'Headhunters' which I've never seen.

I bet it looks very eye scintillating on your 4K OLED TV.
This is a nice package from Sony because we have the three BR video versions:
- 4K Blu-ray
- 3D Blu-ray
- 2D Blu-ray (regular 1080p)

* 'Passengers': Shot on the Alexa 65 camera with a 4K digital intermediate (native 4K transfer).

The downside is on the audio side: Sony has implemented the Dolby Atmos audio soundtrack only on the 4K Blu-ray disc. It's a snobbish attitude like many other studios are doing.
It makes no sense @ all, it is counter productive to not include a 3D immersive audio soundtrack with a 3D immersive spatial 3-Dimensional visual experience.
Me if I was working for any one of those Hollywood studios; I would tell whoever executive in charge of the Blu-ray video and audio transfers to get their mark up high where intelligence logic reigns supreme; @ the service of the arts for the benefits of solid financial investments and in the fulfillment of the vaults, bank accounts of all their customers/investors...us/them all as a team of pure cinema creators and lovers.
Anyway, it's the way I envision the Blu-ray movie business today in the world we all live in...including America, Europe, UK, Canada, China, Japan, Alaska, Australia, India, and Iceland.

Bonus | True or False | Simple List View

______

@ the end of 'Passengers' I'm left without 2/3 of the overall missing.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We watch Passengers last night as well. Great eye candy: Two attractive popular stars and maybe the best video I have ever seen in our theater. We would have liked the movie more had it been shorter, particularly at the beginning. And we REALLY liked the way it ended. While it was certainly not the best movie we have ever seen, it was far, far from the worst. And there were moments that we really enjoyed.

And I'm with you, Bob, on only putting Atmos on the 4K version. What's that all about other than studio greed? I have a 4K player and my PJ supports 4K but I refused to pay the premium required and, furthermore, since I have a Kaleidescape system, I really like the integration of all of my movies into that system.

We probably won't watch it again, but I will certainly use scenes from it to show off what regular BluRay can look like - stunning !!

I would also suggest, that in my opinion, and given the story that was trying to be told, that movie could have been much better. But we still "enjoyed" spending an evening together watching it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing