* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, I can, Bob.

Thanks Ian. Yesterday the two pictures were missing, now they returned. And many other pictures were missing; I spent many hours trying to fix it, restoring them, trying to understand why they vanished in the first place, searching around, asking questions here and there, tra-la-la, I did fix many, but few of those that I fixed disappeared again, ...
I was told that someone blocked me because it was suspicious from a Cdn servive provider for blu-ray.com - and another gentleman suggested that I hide, ...
I looked @ many avenues, other sources, I looked @ Hollywood own Blu-ray picture covers for their movies, amazon, etc.

I cut the grass, fixed the deck, bought new shoes and shorts, ...it's going to be a nice blue sky today...it already is. But I won't be wearing my brand new shoes. :b
I'l be back...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched Deadpool last night:

Alright, first, this ain't no ordinary comic super-hero, it's a super-comic hero. ...It is so super comic that it has been banned in China for its over exaggerated sense of extreme physical humor. They don't make all of them like it.

It starts in slow-mo. And in that slow-mo opening people are flying up in the air from a small altercation. If you have no humor it's better to let others who do watching it; go for ice cream and pizza in town @ the pub where they watch ping pong or bowling or darts tournaments.
The picture quality is awesome, and the audio just appropriate for this genre. All in all technically this Blu is impeccable...top notch excellence, and I bet that in 4K it must be even more resolved "humorously". :b

I think we need more flicks like that in the world so that people can start to relax and laugh and enjoy more life.
The story? Well, it's not Lawrence of Arabia, or Casablanca. Let's put it this way. Best is to check it out and see if it rattles your boat smoothly.
Me I liked it; it's great fun entertainment. ...Overall (everything): 89

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
UNCLE.jpg

AGent 47.jpg

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

Did you sometimes enjoy the original Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin a long time ago as I did as a kid?

The actor who played Kuryakin also played in a very interesting and spooky and weird TV show called 'Sapphire and Steele".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No...we just picked up the dvd's 2nd hand on Amazon. why? Is it much better on blu-ray? (BTW, these are the first 2 movies we watched on our new 8 foot movie screen and JVC DLA 9000 projector along with our system which finally just got set up after 5 months of renovations. Was a lot of fun and we will probably watch a few more action flicks tonite.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did you sometimes enjoy the original Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin a long time ago as I did as a kid?

The actor who played Kuryakin also played in a very interesting and spooky and weird TV show called 'Sapphire and Steele".

Never actually saw the original...we just picked this up because it looked like a fun action flick, and we've enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes movies by Guy Ritchie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this yesterday (on regular Blu and in 2D):

________

Based on true events from the book, it beats Moby Dick (In the Heart of the Sea) easily.
You have a good true story, the elements of nature with men survival, the vastness of the ocean, the darkness of the night tempest, and a split vessel.
Cast is good, audio is tumultuous, fashion girl (good lookin'), ...all good elements for a good motion picture film. Cinematography and CGI effects are effectively realistic with plenty of details. It's grim (color palette) but it's sharp, with contrasts and blacks in check/on the edge of connection from the intended vision.

If you want to see a good film try it; overall: 80

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Her name is Holliday Grainger (beautiful first name and a pretty girl); she plays in that film just above:

* And don't read the negative critics about this film; they are not professional movie critics, they are amateurs. They should do something else than write about films, like going back to school and take cinema courses and film's history.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
No...we just picked up the dvd's 2nd hand on Amazon. why? Is it much better on blu-ray?

No, it's much, much, much, much, much better on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-Ray!

It so happens these two titles are available in that format.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
On a large screen like Lloyd has, hell ya it's much better. :b
But for 4K he needs a 4K Blu-ray player (Samsung UBD-K8500), and of course a 4K front projector.

Lloyd, is yours 1080p or 4K...your JVC DLA 9000 projector? ...8-foot screen is nice. :cool:
And those two flicks you watched they have a very pretty picture on Blu-ray.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-what-we-know/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
But for 4K he needs a 4K Blu-ray player (Samsung UBD-K8500), and of course a 4K front projector.

Lloyd, is yours 1080p or 4K...your JVC DLA 9000 projector? ...8-foot screen is nice. :cool:
And those two flicks you watched they have a very pretty picture on Blu-ray.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-what-we-know/

Thanks! the JVC DLA 9000 does appear to do 4K...the question is does the Oppo 93?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Thanks! the JVC DLA 9000 does appear to do 4K...the question is does the Oppo 93?

The only current existing 4K / UHD Blu-Ray players in the world are Samsung's UBD-K8500 and Panasonic's DMP-UB900. Both of these are Ultra-HD Premium certified by the UHDA.

Next month or so will see the introduction of an ultra-HD Blu-Ray player by Philips as well.

Oppo is said to working on one, but this information has only come to me through reading other people in forums, I haven't yet seen an official word on it.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The only current existing 4K / UHD Blu-Ray players in the world are Samsung's UBD-K8500 and Panasonic's DMP-UB900. Both of these are Ultra-HD Premium certified by the UHDA.

Next month or so will see the introduction of an ultra-HD BLu-Ray player by Philips as well.

Oppo is said to working on one, but this information has only come to me through reading other people in forums, I haven't yet seen an official word on it.

Thanks! I will say regular Blu-Ray is hugely better than regular DVD on an 8' screen when sitting 18 feet away. Its about like the difference between DVD and VHS tape when on a 32" screen tv sitting 12 feet away.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

With an Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player and material, it will be much better than DVD no matter what the screen size...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Thanks! I will say regular Blu-Ray is hugely better than regular DVD on an 8' screen when sitting 18 feet away. Its about like the difference between DVD and VHS tape when on a 32" screen tv sitting 12 feet away.

Blu-Ray is great. Blu-Ray up-converted to 4K can be fantastic too, but Ultra-HD 4K Blu-Rays are several levels above Blu-Rays in quality. It's quite new so there's not a lot of material yet, and additionally, we need to be aware of how the masters were made as some pictures released for 4K were apparently mastered in 2K.

The JVC looks great, but I found the following relative to 4K content and they don't provide more info on why they wrote this (trusted reviews):

The X9000 does have one potentially significant problem, though. Although it’s capable of taking in 4K UHD feeds, and uses complex "e-Shift" technology to try to recreate 4K pixel density from its Full HD D-ILA chipsets, it was clear during my preview that it doesn’t render 4K sources with anywhere near as much detail as a true 4K projector – such as the similarly priced Sony VW520ES.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-dla-x9000-review#YjOoEmDH08Ykfl7u.99

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The JVC looks great, but I found the following relative to 4K content and they don't provide more info on why they wrote this (trusted reviews):

I think they say this because of the 'shift' technology for up-scaling.

Hopefully, with a proper 4K material or signal, the projector does not use this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think they say this because of the 'shift' technology for up-scaling.

Hopefully, with a proper 4K material or signal, the projector does not use this.

Thanks, YashN...i am not a videophile so its nice to learn from those who know more. for me, watching blu-ray MI5 was already amazing compared with our collection of DVD flicks. will look forward to trying out a few more blu-rays shortly...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Thanks, YashN...i am not a videophile so its nice to learn from those who know more.

I'm a learning videophile myself - it seems there's a lot to learn on the subject. There are some good forums with a lot of info to digest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing