* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today is the last day before the last day of the year 2015.
And last night, @ exactly 11:39 PM (Pacific time) I went through a 4.8 magnitude earthquake while watching (revisiting) this ::

...And I am certainly not kidding you. ...It's just life's circumstances as they happen when they happen.

To make a very long story very short...overall: 70 ... It was a fun ride to revisit...decent replay value...and directed by Sam Raimi.

Last word: If you haven't seen it, give it a shot...I think you'll get some' out of it...@ least in one scene, or more.
And you never know; like me you might also experience an earthquake serious enough to wake you up of any type of activity or inactivity you were performing @ the time...be it sleeping, listening to some music, watching a flick (like me), having sex, or eating a pizza slice.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Less than six hours (5 hrs & 10 mins) till the the New 2016 Year (Pacific Time here where we live; the people of the West coast...Canada and USA and Alaska).
I am reading @ what people are listening to...the music ? , and several music selections I have; Roger Waters, Genesis, Enigma, etc.
My thoughts are also with my family members who are @ the other end of my country, and also with my friends who I met somewhere in life, including the members right here, active and non-active. There are more who aren't here than the ones who are. ...Just like in real life.
The main thing is this: We're all on this planet with similar aspirations...Happiness. ...And real happiness is in the heart, in giving the very best of who we are.
It's not always easy but that's the very best way. ...So my thoughts are also with the poorest of the poorest and with the oppressed and underprivileged/disadvantaged.
...All the innocent children and adults who are taking advantaged of. ...And not only here where we live ourselves but all across the universe.

Last night I watched this (last flick of the year 2015) ::

Hmmm...not easy to describe...from the very beginning to end.
But I'd say this: It's not a Christmas/Happy New Year type of film...it's a Western. And not any Western. ...It's the fleshing of characters.
It's not for children, it's not for women, it's not for your wives and daughters. ...It's a Western. ...And a Love story too, but not for women.

If you are going to view it, proceed with caution; it's not any Western, it's a particular Western. And don't watch it with your family...sons, daughters, wives, girlfriends, grandchildren...just no way. ...And not during these times of celebrations. Wait for later on when the drinks and parties and dishes have dissipated and back to their cobbers/shelves.

For this movie, the last one from this year, for me, I'm going to make an exception and I won't rate it (no rating score). I was going to, but after deep reflection I changed my mind.

What I'm going to tell you though is this: In the year 2016 my film critics are going to catapult into a brand new vision/horizon. ...With a much more expanded conscience.
...Much much more closer to the real deal. That's my aim...deeper on a soul level. ...The technical aspects will remain (cinematography, music scores, actors/actresses performances, story compositions, ...all that film jazz), but with a stronger/better emphasis on the "message" that the films convey.

Last word: Take good care of each other.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited Oz in 3D last night :::

We are inside a brand new year...2016...and I don't remember last year...if I rated Oz or not...lol.
Anyway it was colorful all again, and some scenes were pure magic picture and sound wise.
Sure it doesn't compare with the original on the yesteryear emotional impact...but it's totally natural.
This one is more modern (2013); directed by Sam Raimi ('The Evil Dead' trilogy, 'Spider Man' trilogy, 'Poltergeist' remake, 'Drag Me To Hell'), and with different actors/actresses than in the original ...'The Wizard of Oz' (1939) ... 74 years separation, with different camera angles and CGI effects. :b

Without comparing too much, and for this newer film with the newer technical aspects (I also have the original on Blu-ray and in 3D), ...
? Overall: 82.5

Last word: Colorful. ...Family flick...unlike 'The Evil Dead'. :D ...Still has some mild "bad behavior" from one character...mainly due to supernatural power of great weakness.
I don't want to spoil the fun...watch it if you didn't already...and the replay value is cool...particularly in 3D. ...On a technical level it's a top best; sound and picture.
And don't compare with the original or you'd lose some of its essence. If you can do that you are above the rest, and that's a very good way to start the new year...by looking from high above...and flying and singing with the eagles and angels up the sky. Lol :b

_________

Enchanted forest.jpg
_________
_________

<<<>>> QUESTION: If you have the choice between the best Turntable, the best DAC and the best Movie experience in the world...only one choice;
which one would you pick?
Think real carefully before you answer it... :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We all have our ups and downs...and 2015 was no exception. The ups are easier to deal with than the downs. :b
In the course of our lifetime if we were the measure the level (in %) of all our ups and downs in one single graph with that "real target" curvature line, it would be interesting to compare all our graphs with each other...after we're all dead.

A famous philosopher once said that we don't know the exact level of our ups and downs till we experienced their opposites to the full extant of their real values.
And a rich financial prophet once said that without good spiritual and physical equilibrium all the material possessions lose their true value.
He who drinks the blood of his ancestors is a vampire living among the living dead. ...His ups are usually @ night, and his downs in daytime...when he has to stay away from the light above, and depending of the time of the year and where.
...That last line (after the two first ones) is from me.

Last night I revisited these three guys ::

And of course it was directed by the Coen brothers, and it's a great flick with great music in it and few beautiful surprises.
...Good replay value too.

Overall (all): 82.5

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
QUESTION: If you have the choice between the best Turntable, the best DAC and the best Movie experience in the world...only one choice;
which one would you pick?
Think real carefully before you answer it... :b

That is a REALLY interesting question. I am not sure this is the best thread to post it in since it gets so little traffic and quite honestly, I'm not even sure this is the best forum to post it in since this place is mostly visited by 2 channel music folks.

For, me, and assuming the "movie experience" was of the more modern variety with a well done music score, it is a no brainier. Allegedly we do this [music and movies] for the emotional experience. And I can think of no (not live) music listening experience that comes close to being able to transport me emotionally as deep and as wide and as far as some of the outstanding films I have viewed.

Think about posting this question in some other forum [along with my response]. Should be fascinating.

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Hmmm...not easy to describe...from the very beginning to end.
But I'd say this: It's not a Christmas/Happy New Year type of film...it's a Western. And not any Western. ...It's the fleshing of characters.
It's not for children, it's not for women, it's not for your wives and daughters. ...It's a Western. ...And a Love story too, but not for women.

If you are going to view it, proceed with caution; it's not any Western, it's a particular Western. And don't watch it with your family...sons, daughters, wives, girlfriends, grandchildren...just no way. ...And not during these times of celebrations. Wait for later on when the drinks and parties and dishes have dissipated and back to their cobbers/shelves.

For this movie, the last one from this year, for me, I'm going to make an exception and I won't rate it (no rating score). I was going to, but after deep reflection I changed my mind.

lost for words north? :cool:

great warning/review. Not really seen, except the 1st ~10 minutes over at a friends. It looked good, but I'd already read (quote.fav.reviewer) this ...

Greetings again from the darkness. In an effort to be helpful to potential viewers, it's customary to provide a synopsis that allows for a quick determination on whether this "type" of movie will hold appeal. The problem is that this debut from writer/director (and novelist) S. Craig Zahler can be encapsulated with a simple: four local men from a small, dusty old West town head out on a rescue mission to face a tribe of cannibal cave-dwellers. Unfortunately, that analysis doesn't cover the originality and genre-twisting of this Western-Horror film featuring crisp and funny dialogue, plus some of the most extreme brutality ever witnessed on screen.

... so even without seeing it, which I reluctantly but willingly will, your warning seems wise.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That is a REALLY interesting question. I am not sure this is the best thread to post it in since it gets so little traffic and quite honestly, I'm not even sure this is the best forum to post it in since this place is mostly visited by 2 channel music folks.

? Happy New Year Chuck!
I agree; it's not a well "traffic" thread...with very very few posters of film watchers. WBF is first and foremost a 2-channel stereo ultra hi-hi forum (analog...and digital).
But there are other subjects like films, boats, cars, youtube videos, travels, etc., that are also part of our life's routine.
Myself I am a 90% music lover, and a 90% movie lover...the 10% remaining is for everything else I love even more or/and equally...like people, friends, family, pets, and justice for all. ...There is even a movie title by that name. :b

My question, in my thread, is a fair (on topic) question; because it asks about a preference among three choices including the Best Movie Experience, inside a Movie Review thread.
It's a fair and good question; there is no doubt in my mind...100% abso!utely certain.

For, me, and assuming the "movie experience" was of the more modern variety with a well done music score, it is a no brainier. Allegedly we do this [music and movies] for the emotional experience. And I can think of no (not live) music listening experience that comes close to being able to transport me emotionally as deep and as wide and as far as some of the outstanding films I have viewed.

Think about posting this question in some other forum [along with my response]. Should be fascinating.

? Great suggestion...great reply. :cool:
-> This thread is a film vehicle, a window to the impacting movie world with the full gamut of human emotions from two of our most sensitive senses: our vision and our hearing.
I said above that the amount of traffic here is very very minimal; very few posters but the ones who do are high caliber movie lovers with a unique touch.
I consider WBF members an elite of movie watchers. The film's content is more important story wise and musically and cinematography wise and emotionally than the rest.

2016 is the year of changes, the year of improvements, the year of substantial advancement; this thread itself included. Films are more than visual experiences; they are an artistic vision of a movie director in the message conveyed...just like musicians and singers conveying their own messages...of love, consciousness, peace, revolt/turbulence (some RAP and Heavy Metal), sweet melodies (Adele, Mariah Carey, Petula Clark, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, ...), power (full orchestral works from the grand masters), extreme sublimity (exquisite and smooth piano solos...Chopin, Mozart, ...), and all the rest.

This is a movie/music forum inside a movie thread...right here. Music because all films have a Music score composed by a music composer. It is the glue that gel the moving pictures inside our soul (emotions of the heart and mind). Charlie Chaplin had solo piano music in some of his films, and without spoken words (silent), and the occasional subtitle to keep track with the story flow.

Discussions are the source of intellect development, and in films like in music we can learn to be better music listeners and film watchers with the material we like and the positive vibes we get out of all of it. And we are all different (a beauty) as to the type of films and music we have learn to like, to love, to explore, to evolve with.

Chuck, there are many great thread's subjects that I can amorce, but this is one right here right now in 2016 and already in progression. ...Films/music score...emotional stories/messages...impact on more senses than music 2-channel stereo hi-fi only listening. By just saying this I just answered my own previous question.

lost for words north? :cool:

great warning/review. Not really seen, except the 1st ~10 minutes over at a friends. It looked good, but I'd already read (quote.fav.reviewer) this ...

Greetings again from the darkness. In an effort to be helpful to potential viewers, it's customary to provide a synopsis that allows for a quick determination on whether this "type" of movie will hold appeal. The problem is that this debut from writer/director (and novelist) S. Craig Zahler can be encapsulated with a simple: four local men from a small, dusty old West town head out on a rescue mission to face a tribe of cannibal cave-dwellers. Unfortunately, that analysis doesn't cover the originality and genre-twisting of this Western-Horror film featuring crisp and funny dialogue, plus some of the most extreme brutality ever witnessed on screen.

... so even without seeing it, which I reluctantly but willingly will, your warning seems wise.

? I am certainly not short on words (silence is my best instrumental description). I told it like it truly resonated inside me. And I admitted that it started real slow, inferior production, poor acting, very very meh...and then I got into it slowly but very very surely @ one time in point.
I could describe in very intimate details my emotional trance from some of the scenes...but I decided to be silent about it...and let you (the viewers) free of your own set of emotions.

Bone Tomahawk is raw, severe, a not so normal western, a character study, a film not for everyone (in particular the very sensitive type...eg.; some of our wives, friends, children, etc.), and it can be shocking and disturbing to even the toughest of the toughest. ...How people react to it is personal and there is no glorification, no redemption, it's a film from a filmmaker's own vision...a la mix of some twixt. The words are right there; it's just that I let you guys pick them on your own.
If you see the film and that you share your impression right here in your own words; you can bet that I'll be discussing it with anyone. Nothing is free; when we experience a music recording, a film experience...it's different for all of us. I don't want to influence no one; it's delicate on how fragile we all are.

Last word: Watch the film and we'll talk using all the words from the encyclopedia of cinema, TBone, with Bone Tomahawk. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night ::

Excellent film. It grabs your interest from the get go and unrepentant. It feels like a real life drama @ times...driving in the streets leading to one of the Mexican border passes.
The mission is legit, the players are legit, the goal is legit, everything is legit. But during most of its full running time it doesn't feel legit @ all.
And that's the plan. Denis Villeneuve, the director, knows his craft, the tension build of the moment, and with efficiency and mood (music).

We are treated to a nice picture quality in various environments; daylight and brightly sunny, darker and much darker...so much so that we have to wear night laser vision goggles. The feels is alive...and supported by realistic sounds (normal stuff of everyday over there; convoys and bullets and cars and trucks on streets and highways...) and by a pulsing music score, not overpowering but discrete and raw.
The actors/actresses get into it...even the newcomers. They are convincing as convincing that they can be. ...Not bad @ all. And of course the film is mainly supported by Emily, and Benicio. ...Great performances from them both.

Overall (all): 89

Last word: Electromagnetic.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've been through few walks in my lifetime. ...Some of them just last year. We all have been through some...
Best walks were in the mountains. They keep us sharp, on the edge of health and sanity, in check and in balance with the world we live in.
...The natural elements...wind, fresh air, bird songs, snow, creeks, trees, majestic views, ...natural music...live and unedited and untouched (pure virginity).
Also, some good walks in the jungles of Central America...

_________

Last night I watched this...in (((3D))) :::

Based on real events, it was a nice flick. ...The true story of Philippe Petit, with a big/audacious dream. ...And he did it!
A Die Hard action movie a la Bruce Willis it ain't. It started all on the statue of Liberty and between the Eiffel tower in Paris to New York twin towers of the World Trade Center, which are no more today, and replaced by a new skyscraper. ...A single one...so that you cannot install a steel cable anymore between it and another twin near by.

It started smooth, with the beginning that lead to the final operation/execution.
It is romance, it is life, it is Paris, France, it is one guy with his friends and girlfriend and mentor.
His determined drive prompted him to convince his close entourage...and that journey is well narrated and relaxing to follow and be impregnated by.
It's a smooth ride.

Then came the "execution" time, with all the preparation already planned and put into action. ...Quite extraordinary, then the ultimate 'summum' when he takes that first step into mid air way up above the ground, and on a simple steel cable attached between the two mastodontes.
I tell you this, in 3D it is frightening, and I did not want to fall! ...That, was a Walk!

Overall: 78.5

Last word: Don't look down! ...Look up...way up, in the sky. :b

Sky.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Today the sky is very grey here, we are in the clouds...foggy with very low visibility.

________

The last two nights I watched this (with an intermission between the two nights - film is 3 hours long) ::

It's the latest (4K remastered), and it looked very good, plus it's one of my favorite flicks of all time.
Replay value was extremely high...with complete contentment. ...Full entertainment @ the movies...right @ home in the comfort zone.

Overall (all): 93.3

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have it on Vudu. Usually they release about a week or so ahead of BluRay.

Vudu we don't have in Canada.

Marty, please tell me, Vudu in the USA; do you have movies in 3D, in UHD (4K), and with 3D sound immersion (Dolby Atmos)?

And, the ones in 1080p, are they of good quality...like on Blu-ray with similar picture data rate?
And, the sound, is it in multichannel hi-res audio (lossless) equivalent to Blu-ray?
And, how much?

* It's a streaming movie app; any streaming glitches occasionally...or pretty much solid/secured picture & sound?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? https://torguard.net/blog/how-to-watch-vudu-in-canada/

Ok, there seems to be a bypass mode (trick). :cool:

Now, for full hi-res picture and audio...what kind of minimum internet speed is required?

* I'm trying to figure out prices, in Canadian dollars, quality, release dates, ownership, etc. in comparison with the Blu-rays I love to purchase and own.
It's like a LP collection to me...I'm a sucker for ownership of the best when it comes to movies, and music on CD/SACD ...not inside my computer but on my living room walls. I'm very old fashion and still totally living the life of my ancestors. Plus I have the looks...so when people they see me they know who they are dealing with. :b ...Way of humorous speech of course. But it's true, I am a material guy.

Spiritual? Nah, I don't have time to think...life's just too short...I only have less than a quarter ahead...if I'm lucky. :D
Then when I'm gone some sunnabaggun kid's going to be real happy. :D

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I have 30gb download capacity and I have no issue with the best resolution. One great thing about VUDU is if you are an avid BluRay collector this is a way to store your digital copies. I can get access to my full collection anywhere I have internet access.

? https://torguard.net/blog/how-to-watch-vudu-in-canada/

Ok, there seems to be a bypass mode (trick). :cool:

Now, for full hi-res picture and audio...what kind of minimum internet speed is required?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing