[WIP] Windows Vista/7 audio platform optimization project

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
Fidelizer 1.5 - Now supports Windows XP and 64-bit with kickass features

They're couple of changes so let me explain how it works again.

Fidelizer has 3 optimization levels. They're all for the same goal to sonic improvements. I'll leave them all to your judge whether they're subtle or big difference. At any rate, you should leave your ears with it for at least week if it doesn't hurt your computer. Some people need time to adapt to changes.

The first ones is 'Professional'. This will optimize system to the extend that it won't significantly affect overall system performance. You can work as usual while enjoying improved multimedia experiences.

The next ones is 'Audiophile'. This is quite dedicated ones for those who pursue higher fidelity. It will lower system/network performance so audio can gain more priority to access to resources at time. It will also lower most processes including system ones to lowest level so you need to close your audiophile player before using it.

The last ones is 'Extremist'. As the name say, this isn't risk-free feature to try. It will stop most bundled system services leaving only important ones for audio. Yes, it will stop network services and such too. You may not know but Windows Audio and DHCP share the same process in service host provider so disabling network can significantly improve sonic performance. I also add some options to keep network and user experiences (HID,Tablet,Themes) working for some applications.

For general use, you should stick with 'Professional' level but computer in today's market should be able to use 'Audiophile' without hassle about system/network performance. I use 'Audiophile' level on AMD Phenom X2 550 BE machine and ended up running fine for 24/7 usage.....ya it's old and cheap unlike i7 or Athlon II X6 but it still works.

Changes in version 1.5
-Features in State-of-art are merged into Audiophile
-Fixed saving configuration to save all options
-Improved system process optimizations stability
-Improved Windows XP and 64-bit compatibilities
-Restored stopping services feature in Extremist level

Download: http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer

Attachments

• fidelizer..jpg
    fidelizer..jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Please don't take offense Windows X but without more information there is too much risk to download and install this. You've made one post and you offer up software for download that makes deep changes to services and unspecified Windows settings. Chances are there will be no issues but you have to understand that many will not want to take the chance. Would you download this software if you came across it and didn't know anything about the author?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did anyone run a virus scan on the file he posted?

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I underdstand why you see it as risks but I also made tons of applications people using worldwide in www.windowsxlive.net so there's really nothing I can gain from doing malware.

Stopping services is just one thing. The main benefits lies elsewhere and that really improved SQ such as

1. optimize audio thread and I/O priorities using API call and MMCSS optimization
2. optimize kernel clock resolution down to 0.5ms and clock rate of processor scheduling for lowest time slice improving contunity of bit-stream.

At the moment it doesn't leave any modification to system so you can safely try it and restart to go back to normal environment. I can do a lot more than that but it involves permanent modifications and I'm not really sure if people can try suspicious applications that modify their system these days.

Also, this program doesn't need installation. You just run it and it'll set things up for you without leaving any configuration to system so everything will be normal again after system restart.

Last edited:

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
Changes in version 1.1
-Added autorun support (can be disabled by running program again without autorun)
-Added believable selectable features instead of advertising features comment
-Allowed user to keep specific services like networking and related interface controllers like HID and touch support

Autorun mode will run program without showing UI so I highly recommend to run this without stopping services on startup.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I just tried it and it is a lot easier than manually shutting down all the services. I use my HTPC for other things besides music and movies so this will be nice to use for shutting down services.

I was just going to request that you make HID optional. I installed it and realized I couldn't control the volume with my keyboard.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
Granted in 1.1. You can choose to keep network functionalities and HID/Tablet services for HTPC remote and touch control. This program is amazingly good without stopping services too. You should try it once in a while to see why I named them 'cutting edge' and 'state-of-art' lol.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I like the new options. You mention improvements to WASAPI. Are there also improvements to ASIO and Kernel Streaming or do you recommend using WASAPI?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I see that version 1.2 has been released, but not updated here.

I have been a member of XXHighEnd (phasure.com) since 2009. I was just over there and read the Windows X is Back thread. I don't use his software, but find Peter's posts quite detailed and interesting. I first "met" him at the Theatertek forum before he ever started work on XXHighEnd.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
Version 1.3 is out. I removed some features like stopping services and core assignment to ensure everything is 100% safe. Some features will be back again with I can find proper methods.

Changes in version 1.3
-Changed optimization group options to optimization level selection for better use and understanding
-Improved processor resource scheduler's customization capabilities
-Removed all features that might cause system problems such as stopping services and processor core resource assignment
-Updated system thread priorities optimization with multi-level service priorities optimization

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Hello Windows X, this looks really cool. I understand users are concerned, but I think enterprising guys like yourself deserve a lot of credit for offering free tools for poor slobs like the rest of us. If it weren't for sites like RT7Lite, Black Viper, the Genesis Loudspeaker server plans, CicsMemory and a forum post on experimenting with hundreds of registry entries, I would never have been able to figure out how to turn my audio boot section into the Frankenstein it is; and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the untweaked boot section. Anyone who tells you that "bit perfect" output with ASIO, an asychronous DAC, etc, can't be substantially improved upon, either doesn't have a very revealing system or has a lot to learn. The potential sound improvements from tweaking the OS are substantial and this kind of tool doesn't require the steep learning curve I've gone through. You can even turn it on/off on the fly. I may try this on the machine I set up for my parents.

Provided this kind of software doesn't have a hardware destroying virus, spyware, etc., there's not much risk in trying these things, assuming you have a current system image saved; if you don't have one, you're living dangerously and should really look into this Windows feature ASAP. You can also do what I did and install a 2nd copy of Windows.

Quick question for you. My audio boot section is set up as follows: all of the non-essential features removed with RT7Lite (including networking), all services are off except for about 4, the remaining drivers in Device Manager that can be disabled were and the services registry entries that could be disabled without BSOD were. Can you recommend any other sites that describe further tweaking for a DIY'er, such as how to tweak the APIs?

Thanks

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
you can also setup a system profile separate from your default profile that you can boot into to test these things. If it doesn't work, you can always delete the profile. (this is different than setting up another USER profile).

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
you can also setup a system profile separate from your default profile that you can boot into to test these things.

Are there any Windows guys out there who can clarify how to do what Bruce is talking about. I've used a system profile at work, where it's tied to your username and password, but I assumed you needed some sort of backend server infrastructure for that. I know there are some profile features in XP, but they were discontinued in later versions. I don't see much on the Internet. Does anyone know how to do this in Win 7?

Update: I've spent some time searching on the net and as far as I can tell, there's no way to set up system profiles for ordinary users. XP did have some features like this, but they were removed. It would be nice to be proven wrong, but as far as I can tell you need an enterprise system to implement this.

Last edited:

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Fidelize Installed

I installed this program on a few machines with no problems. There was some sound improvement, with a blacker background and more cohesive sound. The improvement isn't huge, but it's noticeable. It sounds better running on my untweaked OS than without it, but the tweaked OS sounds a lot better than either. The program is set up to still accommodate a lot of other activities on the computer and to get the most out of Windows you have to go all the way. You can get a big improvement by turning off the graphics driver (defaulting to VGA save) and turning the resolution down to 8-bit, but the graphics look like hell. The best sound requires a lot of sacrifices. I'm impressed with the concept of the program; a nice feature would be a little more extreme tweak setting.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Are there any Windows guys out there who can clarify how to do what Bruce is talking about. I've used a system profile at work, where it's tied to your username and password, but I assumed you needed some sort of backend server infrastructure for that. I know there are some profile features in XP, but they were discontinued in later versions. I don't see much on the Internet. Does anyone know how to do this in Win 7?

Update: I've spent some time searching on the net and as far as I can tell, there's no way to set up system profiles for ordinary users. XP did have some features like this, but they were removed. It would be nice to be proven wrong, but as far as I can tell you need an enterprise system to implement this.

May be he means hardware profiles? You can set up different profiles, and enable/disable installed hardware in the device manager.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing