Modern Looking Watches

caesar

May 30, 2010
Since we no longer live in the middle ages, I wonder why so many expensive watches look like they have been designed during that time.

Does any one know any brands that make a non-trendy, but modern and timeless look? Kind of something with this type of a theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJnaOPzZ_pQ

Thanks!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Having visited just about every duty free watch shop this past week on 6 islands in the Caribbean I can say without reservation that "THE" watch to own is no longer a Rolex or many of the other high priced brands but rather a Hublot Fusion. This watch is drop dead gorgeous and virtually impossible to find without putting yourself on a 6 month waiting list

The ones I saw had MSRP's between $25K-$33K. I was cruising through one of these shops in Barbados when a guy from our cruise pluncked down $33K for one

Now here is the killer...these watches for the price come standard with a rubber wrist band rather than the exotic gold, platinum etc that is seen on the other expensive watches

Here are some good photos

http://www.ablogtoread.com/hublot-classic-fusion-watches/

The one to have is The Big Bang Fusion

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I remember I almost bought a Hublot about 9 years ago for about 10K iirc, I really liked the design. My favorite continues to be a Seiko Spring drive, just for the movement,super smooth.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Another great new design is the Franck Muller Conquistador GP... This is the one I like the most.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You have to see it. Named best watch each of the past two years.

A lot of watches don't photograph well so I would like to see this up close and personal. In pics it looks like a diver's helmet from the diving bell era. Steam Punk is in and this is very Steam Punk.

Hey Stevie. If they put a Power Balance hologram on the rubber strap...........

;) ;) ;) ;)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Caesar,

On your query in post #1, I don't know if Alain Silverstein will have the design you are searching for.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I haven't ever seen one mentioned in the US, but the Hublot have been very popular in Singapore for a long time. I love their design, and as Jack mentioned, they don't photograph well. You've got to get one on your wrist. I wanted one, but at that time I couldn't afford it, and settled for an IWC by Porsche Design. Similar to this one, but mine is a chronograph. Same rubber strap with a lifetime warranty.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I find this watch cute. Affordable too.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Lord

While I like some of the Hublot watches (At one point the rubber bands made out of natural rubber) .. I really like the two watches you showed. The are truly modern, contemprary designes... Wow .. Brands? Availability? Prices?
@Jack

Those also are modern takes on watches. Same questions: Brand? Price? URL?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Steve,
Yes, it is nice. But I would never buy one (even if I could afford one!). I am a tool watch fan. Every watch I have has at least a chronograph and most have more, some much more. For me, a watch is not a fashion statement. While I can appreciate the good looks and beautiful workmanship of the worlds fine watches I'm really not interested.

Typically I love Breitling's of which I have four.

Sparky

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
To me the epitome of modern and timeless watches must be those iterations of Gerald Genta's design commissioned by big house brands in the 70s. Two of which are still doing exceedingly well in current market are Nautilus from Patek Philippe, and Royal Oak/Offshore line of Audemars Piguet. For my taste, I would also add Richard Mille.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing