Audio interview: http://twit.tv/htg14

* Live vs reproduction
* Multi-channel vs two-channel
* Bass response in the room
* Quadraphonic
* Background of the study related to multi-subs
* Sound-field management
* "near-field" sub-woofer?
* Square rooms and ideal room size. Do they matter?
* sub placement
* center channel location
* surround channel placement
* More channels in the front or behind?
* Constant beam-width speakers and line array
* Consumer reports speaker testing and Harman lab

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
While I get a very satisfying phantom image in my sweet spot, I don't doubt that what Dr. Toole says about multi channel is right. Unfortunately, until the recording industry starts using multi channel to create the sound field he envisions, it's a pretty moot point. Now, playing the overwhelming majority of music, my only choice for using it would be to sum the stereo channels to the center, and send stereo to the rears, resulting in big expansive mono. What was surprising was that he said the best place for a single sub might be the center of a wall. I have always heard that was a bad place...

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing