Receivers: They come in all flavors and prices...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Currently have a Pioneer VSX-32, which I have no issues with.

Have the opportunity to get the Onkyo TX-NR709 for a really great price.

Which one would you go with?

I have a 5.1 system

Definitive Tech speakers. studio 350's R/L
DT. BP2X surrounds
Sub..PC12-Plus
CLR2002 center speaker

TIA

-----Hi Tia, and Welcome!

You can go with the Onkyo TX-NR818. :b
...It has the much more sophisticated and highly executed Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
And you can find it for only 900 clams! :b

That would match your Def Tech speakers perfectly. If I was you that's what I would do, I think.

Cheers,
Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am not seeing the reason to do that. Is there something specific that caught your eye? If you had a few hundred dollars, I would put it toward a second sub than another AVR.

-----True; in combination with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. :b

* Balanced Bass in a room is great (two subs); but EQ that bass properly and easily and you're in Bass heaven. ...Plus all the other frequencies from the audio range with much more detail and clarity.

And IMHO, much better than what Pioneer receivers can do with their Advanced MCACC system,
as they don't EQ the bass.

gtbdevs

Jun 5, 2012
I was just thinking that the Audyssey would do a better job in setting up my speakers, and sub, then the Pioneer does.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That is exactly what I just said. :b

* I'm guessing that your budget is around the $500 mark (the TX-NR709 street price is $420,
as being last year model).
Well, it has the 2nd Audyssey flavor from the top (MultEQ XT, which is good),
and it weights 27 pounds (but your Def Tech speakers are very efficient, plus you have a sub).

Am I right in my guess and way of thinkin'?

Then go for it; life is short enough to experiment with more than what has been given to us. :b

Last edited:

gtbdevs

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks for the info, seems I will have to try and extend my budget.

The Onkyo TX-NR818 sure looks nice.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This year Onkyo upped the ante indeed with the 818, by upgrading that series (8XX) with the top Audyssey flavor: MultEQ XT32.
It is the very less expensive component (A/V Receiver) with that top grade from Audyssey.
...And for only $900 right now (street price).

But the 709 at only $420 is a great deal too. And the 709 looks as good as the 818 (similar facial traits; almost identical, with the 818 even more sparse without buttons and jacks on the lower part).

Whatever your budget is, these two receivers are a great choice with your speakers. :b
{But still, the 818 is the better one, and it weights 40 pounds, for a more powerful amp section.}

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Three New High-End A/V Receivers ::: Onkyo 2012 models :::

The Onkyo TX-NR5010 (Flagship) and TX-NR3010 are both 11.4-channel models!
With 11.4 preouts! {They both have nine (9) internal amplifiers; so you need to add a stereo one.}
That's right; you can now have 11 channels playing simultaneously! And with four (4) sub preouts!

The TX-NR1010 has only seven (7) internal power amps.

* Read more here: Onkyo Unveils 3 New High End AV Receivers

By the way, it is simply amazing the new features added! ...Out of this world!
The two top guns (5010 & 3010) are totally awesome in their complete features set!
...Audyssey MultEQ XT32, THX Ultra2 Plus, Dual Video processing (4K),
and a zillion more cool features! ... :cool:

Let's all buy one! :b

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Just picked a killer looking vintage Yamaha Receiver, It just smoked the Onkyo Surround receiver on musicality . Keeping for a bedroom system.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Yamaha CR 840 . Looks brand new, came in the original box with owners manual.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Marantz SR7007 A/V Receiver - Review

912mara.prmo_.jpg

---------.---------* Click on the above ^ picture for the full review + lab tests.

912mara.bac.jpg

---.---* There is a Phono preamp section; MM only. ...Can you see the RCA input jacks? :b
---------...And three (3) HDMI Outs! :eek:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing