Receivers: They come in all flavors and prices...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Bob, the album is "Hound Dog Taylor: A Tribute" by Alligator Records, done in '98, with a tremendous rollcall of blues artists. Recorded superbly, if you can't wind up the volume on this, and exhaust yourself bouncing around the room there is something seriously, seriously wrong. Probably with you ... :b:b

Because it has excellent dynamics, with extremely clean treble, a good system will put a bunch of cooking muso's in your listening room like nothing else ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Latest ...

Just to add some more info on the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 A/V Receiver, + Trinnov Optimizer.
[Brand new for only $600, and with a full 3-year warranty.]

* These units come with the latest firmware update (version 1.47).

** And if you visit the thread over at AVS Forum (link provided in the previous page, at post #16),
read the last three or four pages from that thread to get you up to date with the latest.

And that's all. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My (personal) favorite Audio/Video Receiver.

Onkyo TX-NR5009 A/V Receiver 9.2-Channel - THX Ultra2+ & Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Review

* Use your Translate feature from your google's toolbar.

=> Street price: $1,699.99 (@ A4L).
It is the equivalent of the Integra DTR-80.3 A/V Receiver (the Integra cost more though).

For most people it is all the pre/pro they truly need, and even the 9 channels power section is sufficient for most folks; except for the ones with diamonds teeth. :b

Twenty years ago, ten years ago; they wouldn't have imagined that it would have been possible to build a machine of this caliber (performance & features) for so little money.

And if you only want the pre/pro equivalents (with XLR connections), the Onkyo PR-SC5509 and Integra DHC-80.3 Surround Sound Processors are it. And I know that they are Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready too (and the Integra DTR-80.3 A/V Receiver is also Audyssey Pro Installey Kit ready).

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
MOSFET output stage; smooth. :cool:

* I like the simple design. :b ... With integrated top-loading CD player. ... Cirrus Logic DAC, mmm...

How much? ... $1,500?

Hi Bob:

The latest Aura Note Premier has list price around $2000 but if you want to try one, you can pick a used one on Audiogon for less than half sometimes. The older non-Premier version has the same MOSFET output with few less features but do sound the same.

One of the neat tricks it can do is to record any source into a USB Flash Drive and play it back like a digital files from hard disk.

A good friend of mine, Akira Taguchi of XRCD fame, uses one for his office reference system. Here's a photo of Taguchi's office:

[IMG]http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/KiChoi/Digital/AuraNoteTaguchi.jpg[/IMG]

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That is indeed very cool Ki.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this, plus the cool picture of your good friend's office, Akira. :b
...JVC XRCD is a fabulous record label with one of the greatest recording processes in the world.
Extremely high-end quality music recordings. And even better than SACDs in many cases.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Onkyo TX-NR3009 A/V Receiver: To Be Or Not To Be? That Is The Question?

Well folks, today I talked to my audio dealer, who I know for over seventeen years,
and I can get the Onkyo TX-NR3009 for $1,500 Canadian (brand new of course).
If I buy it I will only use two channels from it (DSX Front Height), so mainly as a pre/pro,
because I already have all the amplification needed for the other seven channels.

* The Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro is $2,800 Cdn, or quite a jump at $1,300 more.
Plus I hate Integra's looks personally, but that I can live with because I hide it anyway.
But the main reason is this: I wanted to purchase the Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre/pro (roughly $1,800 Cdn or so), but it ain't available in Canada. ...Or just yet. And I just don't know if it will ever be ...

Sooo, at $1,500 the 3009 makes a nice pre/pro in my book.
I don't need the amp section from the 5009 (the toroidal doesn't apply to me),
and its 32/192 DACs (PCM-1795) vs 24/192 DACs (PCM-1796) means ZIP for me (& the gold jacks).
I would rather have the PCM-1792 DACs, and also in a dual differential balanced configuration,
but I can't have everything at that price anyway.
And besides, the NR3009 in 2-channel Stereo, I believe is using one Stereo DAC per channel.

I thought long and hard about upgrading my 886 pre/pro;
I would have still love to have the XLR connections, but I can live without them.

For me, at the end, the big price increase of the ugly looking Integra,
doesn't justify the small increase in superfluous connectors, 32/192 DACs,
and with perhaps a slight increase in sound quality.

I waited waited waited for the 5509 pre/pro, and I can still wait another few months,
but/and then I make my move.

If any of you have different smart ideas; I'm all ears. :b
And as you can see my 'budge' won't 'fudge' more than a couple thous.

Last, remember, I'm in Canada, and don't need any used electronica.
Plus I like to deal with an audio dealer I know already, and get full support.

So, again, what da ya think? :b

P.S. I know what Kal would say: "What about Audyssey MultEQ Pro?"
Yeah, that's why I'm willing to wait more for the PR-SC5509 pre/pro.

Last edited:

MilkMan

Feb 9, 2012
The 3009 looks interesting.

I don't need the amp section from the 5009 (the toroidal doesn't apply to me),
and its 32/192 DACs (PCM-1795) vs 24/192 DACs (PCM-1796) means ZIP for me (& the gold jacks).

Do you mean the 3009?
Overkill if you only need 2 channels and no amplification, IMHO.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The 3009 looks interesting.

Do you mean the 3009?
Overkill if you only need 2 channels and no amplification, IMHO.

Everything I said in my prior post is exactly what I meant. :b

You just quoted me above; no, I don't need the toroidal transformer from the TX-NR5009 receiver.
And I did mean the 3009 is sufficient in my case; but I do want Audyssey MultEQ XT32, absolutely!

And it is for both 2-channel (2.2) and multichannel (9.2) listening.
The amp section is there because there is simply no 5509 pre/pro (at least just yet).
And with the amp section, the Onkyo 3009 receiver is $1,300 less than the Integra 80.3 pre/pro only without it!!!

See, smart thinking. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There is also the Denon AVR-4311CI A/V Receiver; but one, it is more money here from my dealer,
and two, I personally prefer the Onkyo TX-NR3009's overall sound, features, build quality, ergonomics, and of course overall value over the 4311.

I'm also trying to strike a deal on the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 A/V receiver (with Trinnov),
just as an experimental tool (for the fun and experience of it). :b

My ultimate goal is the Onkyo PR-SC5509 Surround Sound Processor ($2,000 max).
But my flexibility would allow me to acquire the TX-NR3009 receiver if the pre/pro is not avail.
Right now I am patient. Like I always have been in my life.
What I got right now; I am musically & theatrically delighted.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lots of patience with Bob in this technological age ...

I can even wait till next year for an Onkyo/Gibson product (preferably a pre/pro, and not a guitar).

As you'll see by clicking on the link, Gibson acquired the majority position in Onkyo USA (by 51%).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am about ready to try a Denon 4311; be interesting to see how it compares to my Pioneer SC-27.

Set up properly, with the mic (8 measurement positions) & Audyssey MultEQ XT32,
it is much more advanced in EQ sophistication than the Pioneer Elite SC-27, IMHO.
In particular in the bass with multiple subs EQ (Audyssey Sub EQ HT).

- Plus it is also Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready with the optional kit.
Also the 4311 has other cool advantages over the Onkyo/Integra receivers:
- Preamp mode only.
- 11.2-channel capability (with back surrounds and Audyssey DSX Front Width & Height channels all running simultaneously). ...Just add a stereo amp.

Sound difference; it is a new adaptation that is truly addictive. Again, IMHO.
I bet that you'd like it Don. :b

Keep in touch here; and I'm sure we can help each other.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Essential feature for me is network connection. I like to stream HD music from file server to AVR under control of iPhone app. And I get better reception accessing local radio station stream via internet rather than over-the-air FM, not to mention access to channels and services around the world.

Eventually manufacturers will include wireless network connections (if they're not already there). In the meantime, I found some open-source firmware to repurpose an old proprietary Linksys router as a wireless point of presence in the den to hook up the AVR.

Cheers,
TGD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The latest Onkyo/Integra, Denon receivers include several Internet applications including tons of streaming and iApple* (iPhone?) wirelesss remote.

* Sorry, I am not an expert on all the Apple products and capabilities out there.

It is interesting nowadays the roles of receivers compared to yesterday's stereo receivers. Remember those? I still have a couple; a Kenwood and a Pioneer.

And tomorrow, your next PC will be a receiver, a PC A/V Receiver. :b
...With self application and self setting himself up and self calibration and room EQ.
Self streaming (audio/video), and voice activated full functions (no more pushing buttons around).
It will even set your PC with all its own required programs.
And a separate high res screen will be included in the box.
And everything wireless (audio/video).

Some of us we won't be here no more; we'll be in heaven listening still to our TTs and R2Rs. :b

P.S. I welcome experts on all the latest streaming features from the latest A/V receivers.
Give us the scoop up/down, and tell us why it is preferable to separate music servers (if).
And don't forget high res audio music streaming ... and all that Jazz ...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Latest news ... For Onkyo TX-NR3009 & TX-NR5009 A/V Receivers.

Hi everyone,

Great news! This just to announce that there is a new firmware available for adding
Audyssey Pro Support to Onkyo TX-NR3009 and TX-NR5009 A/V receivers.
And the Audyssey software is now available for downloading.

* And the Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre/pro is supposed to be available in America
(USA & CANADA) by the end of March (this month, this year). Hourrah! :b
...And of course with the same Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready for it as well.
Meaning that you can use the Audyssey Pro Installer kit with that unit too.

Two extremely useful links:

1. Audyssey Setup Guide

2. New Audyssey FAQs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing