Receivers: They come in all flavors and prices...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, interesting edit...I do agree with you that 4K is probably a ways away before we can all get it. BTW, I wasn't aware that the newer plasma's are more efficient. A good thing, as I'm pretty sure my Pioneer is a LOT more expensive than $25- a year more than a LCD....BUT I sure like the picture it delivers:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, just look at your Pioneer Kuro plasma's spec for Power Consumption, and compared that to the newer Panasonic plasmas.

* Nobody knows for sure when exactly 4K will become relevant for most of us; they (experts) all say that it'll take quite some time.
Only the very few fortunate ones (some high-heeled Sony's customers, like Mike) will start to benefit earlier, but with very restricted/limited material at the beginning.
- Mike is going to lead us, in that department too. :b But that's for another time in another thread.

-> My previous edit was an important one: It totally obliterated the 4K pass-thru feature inside a budget receiver (below $1,000).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, Amir just started a new thread on the death of plasma's. I'm posting there as to my thoughts on that. BTW, have you had a chance to see the new Sony 4K's yet....they are superb, IMO. If you have not, you should check them out. Like all newer tech, they are pricey now, BUT I suspect in a year or so, they will be far more affordable....and then a great alternative. Until oled gets going that is. Anyone here done an 'AB' between 4k and OLED....thoughts?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes and yes. ...Yes I saw Amir's thread (I'm already four minutes ahead of you), and yes I saw the new Sony Ultra HDTV (LCD LED).

Davey, one thing is for sure, my next screen display(s) is going to be larger.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, this is a new year, a new day and a new me. So with that said...on with the program.

Today is special, because January 28, 2016 is the first day of OPERATIONAL DTS:X new 3D sound immersive audio codec. :cool:
And so far it is impressive, even if there are only couple BR titles encoded with it; ex_machina and American Ultra...plus a dts:X demo disc.

For me this is big, because I'm into that stuff; Dolby Almos, DTS:X and Auro-3D. ...For the middle-end...7.1.4-channel system setup.

? The first AV receiver to received that firmware update earlier this morning is the Denon AVR-X7200WA A/V receiver ($3,000 MSRP USD).
It has the three new audio decoders inside (Auro-3D for an additional $199 fee).

I have been following the development since the beginning...June 2014. Sure, the overhead speakers is not a new idea...I've read about it since about 1998-99 from Widescreen Review magazine. And then on September 20, 2002 a new experiment was tested with the film We Were Soldiers directed by Randall Wallace, and starring Mel Gibson. ...With the first height channel encoding, derived from the in-phase information between the back center channel (mono) and front center channel.

Today is a new milestone in 3D sound immersion...in real application...for the three new audio codecs in tandem operation.

What does it mean for movie and music lovers? Well, pretty much the sky is the limit when it comes to spatial immersion.
...Object rendition anywhere in space. ...Next...floor channel speakers (they are already here but not yet fully implemented)...and 4D Sound Immersion.

Plus, those three new audio codecs have their own up-mixers: Dolby Surround (DSU), DTS Neural:X and Auro-Matic 3D & 2D.

To say that I am excited, almost ecstatic would be an understatement.

As of today I don't have a new unit (pre/pro), yet...but it's comin' up...and with it four new overhead speakers...called by various terms...but roughly Top Middle, Top Front, Top Rear, Front Height, Rear Height. ...From Denon/Marantz. ...Slight variations exist from other manufacturers...like Yamaha with their Front and Rear Presence speakers.

That Denon receiver is also equipped with HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 for the new UHD (4K) ultra high definition picture.
And with the Audyssey Platinum version (MultEQ XT32, etc.) auto Room Calibration & EQ system. ...AKM DACs, and four DSP chips.
Simply put it's a full featured battleship when it comes to diversified multiple applications and operations...the first one...certainly in my book.

I can probably write couple encyclopedias about that stuff, but I won't. :b

If you are interested, and have questions, I can provide pertinent links...in case googling is not your bag. And I'd be happy too.
"Interest" is the key word. And from there the universe is expanding...

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
holy smokes, talk about a thread revival, from receivers to the death of plasma, to this special day; some time to catch up :) ... tho good for you North, I'm still 2ch, even with ht. My first receiver was a 70's Yamaha, first turntable too ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good short introduction to the new surround formats Bob. We will need to amp up the level of coverage in the forum on them. I plan to implement the same in my theater but not immediately.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Amir, and indeed just a short intro...the pudding is coming up later on...with real-life first hand exploration.
For the last eighteen months plus I just learned about it all, prepared my own battlefield very slowly; observing, theorizing, drawing analysis, learning, reading, asking, planning my next wise move.
I am @ the threshold of the new paradigm, @ the precipice of sky immersion, surround revolution, @ the next higher plateau in dimensional centrifuge force.
I will be investing few loonies to propel my hearing brain into the sound stratosphere. I can feel it already...in the air tonight.

I'm slow, and don't like to be pushed over the edge. :b ...It's a way of speech to say that I follow my own sound beat, heart rhythm.
The best is yet to come...

? Use your [Translate this page] feature (Google Chrome has one): http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/DTS-X-Das-Rundum-Sound-Format-im-Test-3085326.html

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Denon AVR-X7200WA AV receiver with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D | Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Platinum suite | Review:

? http://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-9-...7200wa-performance-meister-mit-dtsx-decoding/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For people with an interest; the new Denon flagship AV receiver: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6300h

- It's a 31 pounds beast.
- It consumes 750 watts.
- It has eleven (11) separate/discrete internal amplifiers.
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32 will receive an app to manually adjust the parameters...manual tweaking (about time).
- It's ready for the full Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 11.2-channel setup (no need for external amplification).
- Auro-3D is still available for an extra fee (to be determined; in the past it was $199).
- All UHD (4K) fully integrated.
- HEOS: Read the specs to find out more.
- Made in Japan.
____

To me it is amazing what they can pack inside a 31 pounds case, including a high current transformer, eleven amplifiers, 4? capable, all those DSP chips for audio and video, etc., etc., etc.
I bet that in the future our AV receivers will resemble an Android phone. ...And weight only few ounces. :b

Are you excited?
____

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing