Receivers: They come in all flavors and prices...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hey about some life's invigoration around here? :)

Where to start? There are so many A/V receivers out there! And Stereo ones too!
And they start as low as $100 and way up to $7,000!

Some people still have their Stereo receivers from the 60s, and others the latest ones; in 3D! :D

What is your desire? Try me! :)

Last edited:

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Hey about some life's invigoration around here? :)

Where to start? They are so many A/V receivers out there! And Stereo ones too!
And they start as low as $150 and way up to $7,000!

Some people still have their Stereo receivers from the 60s, and others the latest ones; in 3D! :D

What is your desire? Try me! :)

Hello LOTR

The receiver I have needs to be somewhat complex. It has to do all the switching in my HT (used for movies) and be able to do analog video and upscale to full HD 1080p, have the latest HDMI 1.3a or higher, 120Hz and ect refresh rates. Has to do all audio format signals like Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD....blah blah blah....Some even offer EXTRA things like room optimization, pure direct mode, network capabilities like internet radio, PC music files, USB for portable audio players and flash drives, MusicCAST, ipod ready, HD radio ready, ect ect.......these days a receiver can do a lot of things. I try not to invest too much money into them because the technology changes really fast these days. I think IMO once you get into a certain price range you start paying for mostly bells and whistles. Problem is a some of it maybe unnecessary but are thrown in to make the product more attractive. Kinda like getting the best tv/display you can find that just happens to be 3D.
These days the quality of receivers are getting better and better. Rivaling some high end pre/pro's out there. I guess it all comes down to, what do you need it to do!!!?:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi ejusted,

Agreed! :) ...And also your budget, your speakers, and your room as well.
It's all about components matching and disposable finances (that is if your room and taste are up to it).

"Complex"; that is interesting! I see that as it needs to have many Audio & Video adjustments, and with all the latest music streaming features. And also a very sophisticated Auto Room Calibration & EQ system, and with also full manual adjustments. Great DSP audio with several parameter adjustments is a plus too for some.

If I may, what is your actual receiver right now? Or do you have one first? And are you looking for one? ...Or do you prefer a separate pre/pro (Surround & Video Processor)?

Bob

P.S. I just saw that you have the Yamaha RX-V3800 A/V Receiver; a very nice one indeed. :)

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Hi ejusted,

Agreed! :) ...And also your budget, your speakers, and your room as well.
It's all about components matching and disposable finances (that is if your room and taste are up to it).

"Complex"; that is interesting! I see that as it needs to have many Audio & Video adjustments, and with all the latest music streaming features. And also a very sophisticated Auto Room Calibration & EQ system, and with also full manual adjustments. Great DSP audio with several parameter adjustments is a plus too for some.

If I may, what is your actual receiver right now? Or do you have one first? And are you looking for one? ...Or do you prefer a separate pre/pro (Surround & Video Processor)?

Bob

P.S. I just saw that you have the Yamaha RX-V3800 A/V Receiver; a very nice one indeed. :)

Funny that you should mention that. I recently heard Integra line and i liked how they sound. I wanted to switch to an Integra pre/pro for a while now but I don't have all my channels amplified. So my options are switching to a 5.1 set up, or get an Integra receiver instead. I also want to sell my 3 channel amp and use that money for new speakers!! Seems like my quest for HT goodness never ends!! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Integra makes some excellent pre/pros and receivers. It is a very solid company that has been around for a very long time.

Their products are generally built with solidity and they also use premium parts.
And since a very long time too.

Your Yammy 3800 receiver has great power and sound quality. It uses Yamaha proprietary system of Calibration & EQ, YPAO, which is based on a Parametric Equalizer with full manual adjustments.

I still have an older Yamaha receiver and I luv its basic sound quality and also its dynamic headroom.

Now! I am using an Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver in a secondary system, and I also really like it.
It has Audyssey MultEQ XT which does an excellent job in the Subwoofer channel.
Plus it has true power to spare.

In more recent times I recommended to several people the newer Onkyo TX-NR3008 and TX-NR5008 receivers. And also the top guns Integra pre/pros (the latest one being the DHC-80.2).
All the Integra receivers are also excellent (the DTR series). And in particular the DTR-70.2 for its fantastic set of features and build quality as well its great sound. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey Sub EQ HT (for multiple subwoofer calibration), and a whole lot more...

But the lower model ones are also of great value. I would highly recommend that you try one in your own system at home with your Polk speakers.
You won't have the manual adjustments that your Yamaha receiver has with YPAO, or all the nice DSP music and movie modes of your Yammy with all their parameter adjustments; but you will experience Audyssey and you might like what it does in your setup!
I highly recommend that you don't go below Audyssey MultEQ (up to 6 mic positions).

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Integra makes some excellent pre/pros and receivers. It is a very solid company that has been there for a very long time.

Their products are generally built with solidity and they also use premium parts.
And since a very long time too.

Your Yammy 3800 receiver has great power and sound quality. It uses Yamaha proprietary system of Calibration & EQ, YPAO, which is based on a Parametric Equalizer with full manual adjustments.

I still have an older Yamaha receiver and I luv its basic sound quality and also its dynamic headroom.

Now! I am using an Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver in a secondary system, and I also really like it.
It has Audyssey MultEQ XT which does an excellent job in the Subwoofer channel.
Plus it has true power to spare.

In more recent times I recommended to several people the newer Onkyo TX-NR3008 and TX-NR5008 receivers. And also the top guns Integra pre/pros (the latest one being the DHC-80.2).
All the Integra receivers are also excellent (the DTR series). And in particular the DTR-70.2 for its fantastic set of features and build quality as well its great sound. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey Sub EQ HT (for multiple subwoofer calibration), and a whole lot more...

But the lower model ones are also of great value. I would highly recommend that you try one in your own system at home with your Polk speakers.
You won't have the manual adjustments that your Yamaha recediver has with YPAO, or all the nice DSP music and movie modes of your Yammy with all their parameter adjustments; but you will experience Audyssey and you might like what it does in your setup!
I highly recommend that you don't go below Audyssey MultEQ (up to 6 mic positions).

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the reply LOTR, you have given me some good info! I will see if I can demo them in my home. I have also listened to some speakers as well to pair with my pass amplifiers. So far I have heard Focal, B&W, Monitor Audio, and Kef (sig). Its hard getting the dealers to let you listen to them in your home once you get into that price point. But I intend to take my time and listen to as many as I can. U can see pics of my set up over in the other forum. I think the 1st purchase will be the receiver. I think the speakers will take a bit more time!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply LOTR, you have given me some good info! I will see if I can demo them in my home. I have also listened to some speakers as well to pair with my pass amplifiers. So far I have heard Focal, B&W, Monitor Audio, and Kef (sig). Its hard getting the dealers to let you listen to them in your home once you get into that price point. But I intend to take my time and listen to as many as I can. U can see pics of my set up over in the other forum. I think the 1st purchase will be the receiver. I think the speakers will take a bit more time!

No sweat, that's why I'm here; to give my very best to people like you.

Those are all excellent speaker brands.

TIP: For demoing speakers at your home, just offer your credit card to the audio dealer, or just give him the cash to cover the purchase! Ask him to have them for a weekend or so, with full refund when you return them. Of course they will be a Floor model.
That's how you start a good relationship and it is easier after that! :)
- And YES, TAKE ALL YOUR TIME to listen to different ones. This is the most crucial part as you already know.

As for the Integra receiver models, stay with the DTR-40.2 receiver or above.

* Just click here for all their models: => Integra AV Receivers

And as you probably know, Audyssey is not a digital Parametric EQ with separate "Q" adjustment and very limited bands of the audio freqency range (7 to 10), but hundreds of digital FIR filters (Finite Impulse Response), that not only calibrate your speakers and sub(s) from the audio Frequency Range but also in the Time Domain! It takes into consideration the first reflections from your room's walls, ceiling and floor. And it EQs your speakers accordingly, and also from a wider 'sweet spot' area. With Audyssey MultEQ it is recommended that you take all six microphone measurements; separated by about two feet between each one of them.

P.S. Name's Bob. :) {LOTR is just a username because I luv the Trilogy, the Extended Edition.}

Last edited:

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
No sweat, that's why I'm here; to give my very best to people like you.

Those are all excellent speaker brands.

TIP: For demoing speakers at your home, just offer your credit card to the audio dealer, or just give him the cash to cover the purchase! Ask him to have them for a weekend or so, with full refund when you return them. Of course they will be a Floor model.
That's how you start a good relationship and it is easier after that! :)
- And YES, TAKE ALL YOUR TIME to listen to different ones. This is the most crucial part as you already know.

As for the Integra receiver models, stay with the DTR-40.2 receiver or above.

* Just click here for all their models: => Integra AV Receivers

And as you probably know, Audyssey is not a digital Parametric EQ with separate "Q" adjustment and very limited bands of the audio freqency range (7 to 10), but hundreds of digital FIR filters (Finite Impulse Response), that not only calibrate your speakers and sub(s) from the audio Frequency Range but also in the Time Domain! It takes into consideration the first reflections from your room's walls, ceiling and floor. And it EQs your speakers accordingly, and also from a wider 'sweet spot' area. With Audyssey MultEQ it is recommended that you take all six microphone measurements; separated by about two feet between each one of them.

P.S. Name's Bob. :) {LOTR is just a username because I luv the Trilogy, the Extended Edition.}

Thanks Bob....

I appreciate the assistance. I am familiar with your posts. Always very informative. However, this is the 1st time we have interacted in a thread. Rich invited me to this forum and so far seems like a nice group of people. Anyways, I don't want to continue to hijack your poor thread! I am sure others have input about receivers too :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Numero uno; there is no hijacking here! :)
...Lol this is a brand new site with the very best intentions, and with a team of excellent people.

Ejusted, may I ask you from where you are familar with my posts? Is it from Blu-ray Forum?
...Because I'm big in Japan. ;) ....Audyssey.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Numero uno; there is no hijacking here! :)
...Lol this is a brand new site with the very best intentions, and with a team of excellent people.

Ejusted, may I ask you from where you are familar with my posts? Is it from Blu-ray Forum?
...Because I'm big in Japan. ;) ....Audyssey.

:) Thanks..............I have noticed that the people on here really know their stuff. I took a look in the member galleries and noticed that the systems are truly remarkable. Way more advanced then I am used to seeing. Thats why I joined so I could soak up all this audiophile knowledge!! And yes, I have a gallery on Blu-ray, but I may wait a while before I post anything on here. lol
I didn't realize you were so big in Japan!! I am talking to a regular celebrity!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
:) Thanks..............I have noticed that the people on here really know their stuff. I took a look in the member galleries and noticed that the systems are truly remarkable. Way more advanced then I am used to seeing. Thats why I joined so I could soak up all this audiophile knowledge!! And yes, I have a gallery on Blu-ray, but I may wait a while before I post anything on here. lol
I didn't realize you were so big in Japan!! I am talking to a regular celebrity!

Lol that was just a line I really like from a song by Tom Waits! ..."Big in Japan". :)

From this album:

* This one below has better sound (the one from above was for the cool video concept):

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just WOW! Sherwood Newcastle R-972 A/V Receiver: only $599.99 Brand New! - & TRINNOV!

Yes, you read that right!!!

Sherwood Newcastle R-972 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver With Trinnov Optimizer For Only $599.99 -
Brand New & With A Full 3-Year Warranty!

[And the video processing is from HQV Reon-VX; & even has Dolby Headphones!] :cool:
- Weights a healthy 41 pounds (net), and normally retails for $1,800.
Check the features and specs, plus reviews online.
At that price, Value is through the roof!

* Perfect for a second setup (or even the main), or for a present, gift (Dad, son's birthday, etc.).

For Frank? :b

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There was some oddity in the Sherwood AVR which I forget now. If you are looking to buy, be sure to search the reviews.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Want some Info on these kind of products? Just ask right here!

And if any of you guys want some info on Onkyo/Integra A/V Receivers and Pre/Pros with Audyssey MultEQ XT, or Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with Audyssey MulktEQ Pro Ready, and Audyssey DSX & Sub EQ HT (for dual subwoofers); just ask right here. :b

Or even if you prefer these type of products (Pre/Pros or A/V Receivers) from other manufacturers like Arcam, Anthem, Denon, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha Aventage Series, HK, Emotiva, ...

And if you have questions about Audyssey (Onkyo/Integra, Denon, Marantz, NAD), Trinnov (Sherwood Newcastle), ARC (Anthem), Advanced MCACC (Pioneer), YPAO (Yamaha), EzSet/EQ (Harman Kardon), ...

This is it, this is the thread for it! And some pre/pros are so inexpensive (street prices) that when you add the required amplification, they are no more expensive than some of these A/V Receivers.

And those latest Receivers from Onkyo for example, like the TX-NR609, TX-NR709, TX-NR809, TX-NR1009, and in particular the TX-NR3009 and TX-NR5009 (MultEQ XT32) are incredible machines, fully loaded, and of excellent performance all the way (Audio/Video quality wise).

* And Onkyo has already announced their lower end models for this year, 2012. They should go on sale very soon.

-> I can find any and all type of info or the latest reviews on all of these above. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There was some oddity in the Sherwood AVR which I forget now. If you are looking to buy, be sure to search the reviews.

Yes Amir, there is a detailed thread over at AVS, and also some reviews online.

But at that price, there are some little compromises that can be made for certain people. :b
And I can give you direct links on reviews if some people are interested; I simply started from this amazing discount price.
Even myself I would consider buying one just to have fun experimenting. :b
For only 600 bucks, I'm all for it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I've got a fondness for Denon when going into that type of area -- what's your opinion of such?

FRank

Here ya go Frank, especially for you, and with Audyssey MultEQ XT flavor ...
(very tasty with 8 mic positions). :b

=> http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pag...mandReceivers(DenonNA)&PId=AVR2312CI(DenonNA)

* This is the USA list price, so don't panick, and you can take 25% off easily from that MSRP. :b

Actually, 41% off Frank; at now only $499.99
=> http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...tegrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Thanks, Bob. As I mentioned in the other thread I wouldn't actually be looking at such for myself at the moment, but rather for recommending for others. If I bought one I would immediately dive inside and start "fixing" it up, not the best thing from a warranty standpoint. But I like what they do in raw form, compared to others.

Of interest, I used a CD, Tribute to Hound Dog Taylor, for checking out the boogie factor of receivers at one point -- are you familiar with that recording?

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I got some Hound Dog Talylor's albums Frank (of course, I'm a Bluesman).
...'Beware of the Dog', among them. "Boogie factor", lol.

Anyway Frank, that Denon receiver just above is an excellent recommendation to some of your friends. And the price is also right; just check in Kangaroo country. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing