Seattle Area Audiophiles - CD Release concert

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Cornish Music series presents : "Current " an exclusive pre release concert for Jovino Santos-Neto's newest CD with his Quinteto; Chuck Deardorf on bass, Mark Ivester on drums, Jeff Busch on percussion, Harvey Wainapel on saxes and clarinet and special guest Ben Thomas on vibraphone and bandoneon. This is the latest CD mastered by Bruce Brown of Puget Sound Studios

Three-time Latin Grammy nominee Jovino Santos Neto, a master pianist, composer and arranger, is among the top Brazilian musicians working today. Currently based in Seattle, Washington, he has throughout his career been closely affiliated with the Brazilian master Hermeto Pascoal. He was an integral part of Pascoal's group from 1977 to1992, where he fine-tuned his artistry, performing around the world and co-producing several legendary records.

Jovino’s personal style is a creative blend of energetic grooves, deep harmonies, telepathic improvisation, lyrical melodies and great ensemble playing, always inspired and informed by the colorful richness of Brazilian music. His compositions include samba, choro, baião, xote, forró, marcha and many more styles, rooted in centuries-old musical tradition while pointing to new and adventurous harmonic languages.

Currently, Jovino leads his Seattle-based Quinteto and teaches piano and composition at Cornish College of the Arts. He can also be heard as a piano soloist, working with symphony orchestras, jazz big bands, chamber music groups, and in collaboration with musicians such as his mentor Hermeto Pascoal, Bill Frisell, Paquito d’Rivera, Airto Moreira, Claudio Roditi, David Sanchez, Joe Locke, Marco Granados and many more.

Since moving to the US from his native Rio de Janeiro in 1993, Jovino Santos Neto has continued to tour the world and to record prolifically. He has recorded multiple CDs with his Seattle-based Quinteto, including Canto do Rio, nominated for a Latin Grammy in 2004. In 2006 Adventure Music released Roda Carioca with an all-Brazilian lineup including Joyce, Hermeto Pascoal and several other notable musicians and long time colleagues, earning him a second Latin Grammy nomination. In 2007, after receiving a special commission from Brazil’s Petrobras, Jovino composed and recorded Alma do Nordeste, a musical journey translating the essence of Northeastern Brazil into melodies, rhythms and improvisations – connecting regional, universal, imaginary and real stories. In 2008 he released a piano duo with Weber Iago, Live at Caramoor, also nominated for a Latin Grammy award in 2009.

More recently, Jovino has recorded Veja o Som (See the Sound), a new double CD of duos with musicians such as Bill Frisell, Joe Locke, Paquito d’Rivera, Anat Cohen, João Donato, Airto Moreira, Joyce, Paula Morelenbaum and Monica Salmaso, among others. The new work will be released by Adventure Music later in 2010.

His compositions have been performed by the Seattle Symphony, NDR Big Band in Hamburg and by numerous chamber music groups. Jovino gives lectures, clinics and master classes worldwide on the music of Brazil.

Jovino has received commissions by the Cheswatyr Foundation, IAJE, ASCAP, CMA/Doris Duke Foundation, Jack Straw Foundation, Seattle Arts Commission, 4Culture, Artist Trust and Meet the Composer. He has been artist in residence at some of the most prestigious music schools in the world, and was the recipient of a Golden Ear Award as the Best Jazz Instrumentalist of the Pacific Northwest in 2004.

Attachments

• Jovino..jpg
    Jovino..jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 116

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bruce

Thanks for the heads up! We will try and make it. I still fondly remember the Santos-Neto tracks you played for me.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Glad you liked it!

We mastered another album for him, though it's not out yet. He spent 2 days at the Fazioli Salon in NY and recorded in DSD128fs. These are amazing recordings. Can't wait 'til the CD comes out. We've been trying to get him to offer hi-rez downloads.

Jovino Santos-Neto

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Wow! What a concert!
The venue was packed. I couldn’t find a seat and had to go to the upstairs section for best possible sound. Lucky though, I sat right behind the sound person and his mixing console. He was also recording the concert digitally, and I thought – say... direct to two track ½” Studer... recording would have been sweet…
And the CD titled, Current, Bruce had mastered at his Puget Sound Studios is a winner. Obviously CD’s fine sonic virtues are the results of its mastering engineer being an audiophile as well as a pro person. I will be listening to mine for two months before the CD gets formally released.

Jazdoc,
Bruce said you were at the concert as well. Sorry I couldn’t meet you but hope to meet you in person the next event. ;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing