A DIY equipment stand

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I've done the flexy rack thing for years, so thought I would try something different. I started by gluing two pieces of 3/4" mdf together with some PL Premium polyurethane contruction adhesive and nailing together with my air nailer. Then I rounded the corners on my table sander and routed the edges.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I cut some holes part way into the mdf with a hole saw.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I put the hole saw back in and kind of snapped to one side to break off the cut piece.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I used a wood chisel to finish cleaning out the hole.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I used my chop saw to cut about half the thread off of a threaded end of PVC. I then wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the thread and sanded it down just a bit. I then took the sandpaper and sanded the hole edges to round them to the contour of the threaded PVC where it transitions to flat.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I screwed and glued these into the mdf with the same PL Premium adhesive.

Last edited:

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is the raw stand. I did not glue the PVC pieces together, so I can take it apart.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I sealed the mdf with DEFT lacquer, because I had a gallon can sitting in the garage. Then semi-gloss black paint and final coat of black and grey splatter paint.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Man, you are good with your hands and tools! I have a garage full of woodworking tools that hasn't gotten use for years. Reason, I don't think I hold a candle to your creativity! I would never think about using PVC for the vertical support.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Nice work as always.

I imagine the splatter paint finish cuts down on dusting intervals too.

I have some maple butcher block I might try with large threaded bolts. On the back burner for now, other projects beckon me.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It's gorgeous, but why not use wooden dowels instead of the PVC? I have had issues with PVC in the past (wobbling, cracking, getting brittle over time, etc.) and am just curious.

Amir, we are soulmates -- I too have mucho woodworking equipment; outside buried in a shed where I can't do anything with it!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
It's gorgeous, but why not use wooden dowels instead of the PVC? I have had issues with PVC in the past (wobbling, cracking, getting brittle over time, etc.) and am just curious.

Amir, we are soulmates -- I too have mucho woodworking equipment; outside buried in a shed where I can't do anything with it!

Home Depot did not have dowels large enough for the look I wanted. This was a quick afternoon project for my son and I. I even had Home Depot cut the sheet every sixteen inches, so all I had to do was glue, nail and trim. It was quicker than pulling out my table saw.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Luther,

The rack looks great. What diameter PVC did you use? Also, the wood shelving is thick enough that you are no noticing any flex?

Rich

It is regular schedule 40 inch and a quarter pvc. There is no flex in the shelves with the two layers of 3/4" MDF being glued and nailed together.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Excellent work! Did you consider filling the PVC pipes with sand? You could leave just enough unfilled so that you could unscrew them without dumping sand everywhere. Just a thought....

Lee

zane77

Nov 16, 2011
Wooden dowls

I have used wooden closet rods for dowels when making equipment shelving, must be about an inch and a quarter or inch and a half. I believe it comes in eight or ten foot lengths

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing