The Upgrade Company

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Nothing to find fault with, the upgrades are phenomenal..
The validity of that claim is the topic of this thread. Unfortunately, instead of cogent arguments and proof, what you provide is:

We're A+ BBB rated and growing......The Nationwide Better Business Bureau alogorythm has rated us higher then any manufacturer or other modification firm. That says it all!.
Which, as has been pointed out, is not a particularly good indicator of anything, nor does it "say it all".

and this:

You've simply got to witness an A-B comparison to check out our upgrades. Talking won't solve your lack of understanding.

That's really all there is to it. Nothing to lose with our 100% Buy Back Gaurantee.
Which is advertising pablum, which I understand all too well.

You've dismissed measurements as an inaccurate indicator of audio fidelity. You've provided no DBT results in support of your claims. You have, apparently, declined Gene DellaSalla's offer of third-party testing. You've declined to answer substantive questions. In essence, you have, thus far, failed to provide any real evidence that your products are, as you claim, "phenomenal".

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FYI, I looked up the BBB claim. http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan...upgrade-company-in-harbor-springs-mi-38125293

As you see there, he has had one complaint in the last 12 months which was resolved. So the A+ rating does not mean spotless. People usually resort to such complaints when they are out of options with the company. The force of bad reporting on BBB records often gets companies to reconsider and make good. With any business, such complaints can occur and sometimes when the customer is taking an unfair position. So I don't mean this to indicate anything other than what BBB record indicates :).

The BBB policy of giving "A+" to a company in light of complaints seems wrong to me. Why not reserve the "+" sign for really perfect record? No wonder their ratings are not taken seriously with many customers.

When are you guys defending manufacturers going to admit defeat? We've WON.

We're still winning new satisfied customers all the time. Manufacturers cannot earn a BBB A+ rating, or a JD Power Customer Satisfaction award because they build stuff cheap, owners often complain of getting extremely little perfomrance increase for thie money from stock high end audio electronics.

Why do you refuse to give a sense of defeat? Just buy the products and see for yourself.

Read the reviews and personal eyewitness testimonials from our clients.

Those of you paying sky high prices for high end audio gear built overseas with low cost generic parts are losing out.

I have a ton of work to do and I am not going to sit here and go around in circles waiting for you to admit your defeat.

We've been vetted and verified for years, yet some continue to try to defend manufacturers.

Last edited:
The issue was simply shipping damage that we resolved quickly.

Still trying to find fault instead of simply admitting defeat, that speaks very poorly of you.

The Upgrade Company is as bona fide real as it gets.

Come and see me when Esoteric, EMM LABS McIntosh and others earn an A+ Better Business Bureau rating.

If they could they would have by now. Too many dissatisfied consumers.

It does not take a genius to see the light our services.

Best of Luck to you all. I simply have to get back to work. Enjoy the reading.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
We've WON. We're still winning new satisfied customers all the time.
Unfortunately, new customers are not a reliable indicator of the efficacy of your mods.

Enron

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
let's not forget that recent Ponzi scheme.

Come on Ken tell us what put that bee in your bonnet.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When are you guys defending manufacturers going to admit defeat? We've WON.
Misdirection may be an effective debating tactic in high-school but doesn't work here. The topic of this thread is not other equipment. We have myriad of threads to discuss other companies' products.

The purpose of this thread is to find out the capabilities of your company and your personal expertise in making these changes.

To "win" this argument, you need to put forth your expertise and have it be evaluated by the members. So far, you have avoided doing that.

We're still winning new satisfied customers all the time.
Did you watch 60 minutes this past weekend? They repeated an episode on a guy who claims to be a doctor and curing non-curable diseases. He was doing well until the story was done and now the doors are closed. People were paying >$200K+ for such treatment. If you have not seen it, here is the video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7357912n

So the fact that someone pays you money is not proof of effectiveness.

Manufacturers cannot earn a BBB A+ rating, or a JD Power Customer Satisfaction award because they build stuff cheap, owners often complain of getting extremely little perfomrance increase for thie money from stock high end audio electronics.
Once more, you are misdirecting. If police arrested you, is your defense going to be to point to the jail and say "look how many guilty people are there with worse crimes so let me go?"

But I will play. For grins, I put in Mark Levinson which BBB nicely redirected to Harman Specialty group which has many brands such as Lexicon, JBL, Revel, etc. This is their rating: http://www.bbb.org/boston/business-...s/harman-specialty-group-in-bedford-ma-37096/

"Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of A+ on a scale from A+ to F.

Factor(s) that raised this business' rating include:
Length of time business has been operating.
No complaints filed with BBB.
BBB has sufficient background information on this business."

So here we have a large company which in one hour deals with more customers than you will do in your company for years to come and doesn't have the one complaint you had. So maybe we can dispense with generalizations like this.

Just buy the products and see for yourself.
Your job is to sell before we buy! :) I assume you have not noticed the review section of Amazon. If people didn't need reassurance from others that something was good and valid, we would not have that or social media like this one.

Read the reviews and personal eyewitness testimonials from our clients.
Get those clients here and let's talk to them.

Those of you paying sky high prices for high end audio gear built overseas with low cost generic parts are losing out.
That may be the case but you need to demonstrate that you know more than they do. Blindly replacing parts with higher rating/higher specs is not always correct. In some cases, this can lead to safety and reliability issues.

I have a ton of work to do and I am not going to sit here and go around in circles waiting for you to admit your defeat.
When we started on this conversation I thought one of two things would happen:

1. You would put up a technical defense of your approach and we would have a nice exchange. That did not happen. The data you provided for example on HDMI video improvement shows no understanding of that interface or its performance. The data on the blue goop was far worse, throwing terms around in the age of Internet and not knowing about resources of Wikipedia.

2. You would know that you can't defend your practices and would instead decide to leave. And make up some debate tactic on why.

I am saddened to see you resort to #2. It certainly does not benefit your future customers that you all of a sudden are too busy to discuss the vary nature of what you do.

We've been vetted and verified for years, yet some continue to try to defend manufacturers.
No one in this thread has decided to talk let alone defend manufacturers. If a 16 year old kid set up shop to increase performance of an M3 to double its horsepower, folks would ask questions about the 16 year old, not merits of parts in BMW. That you think otherwise is again, a high-school debate tactic that doesn't work with people with half decent IQ. :)

Remember, for you to better the skill and expertise of equipment designers, you have to show to be smarter than them. I have done my share of designs but I don't hold a candle to them. That you can't even get past my questioning says a lot about your abilities and perhaps, work that you do.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good arguments Amir and all the testimonials we have received here are 4 in number 2 of which are identical IP addresses for 2 other recently joined members (a clear violation of our TOS) at the same time as David

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am surprised that Steve and Amir have let this go on this long except for the amusement factor. It only took a few posts to realize that something was seriously amiss with TUC. I just shelled out some big bucks to get my Counterpoint SA-5.1 upgraded by the original designer. His website clearly spells out what parts he is going to change and at what cost. He also has nice pictures to show you what the upgraded units look like. There are no "secrets" here. If I was slopping blue goo on parts and wrapping wires in foil, I would probably not want to show pictures either and claim it was a all a big secret.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just shelled out some big bucks to get my Counterpoint SA-5.1 upgraded by the original designer. His website clearly spells out what parts he is going to change and at what cost. He also has nice pictures to show you what the upgraded units look like. There are no "secrets" here. If I was slopping blue goo on parts and wrapping wires in foil, I would probably not want to show pictures either and claim it was a all a big secret.

Same experience here with another "upgrade" guy. I had my Oppo fully modified by Exepmler. He took it apart and showed me what he did to it and the tests he performed. Then he hooked it up and ran it side by side with a stock unit and explained the differences in the video and audio. I've heard similar results with a number of other upgrade companies. The Upgrade Company? Not so much...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I had my ARC SP-14 modified by Great Northern Sound- http://www.greatnorthernsound.com/audioresearch.html -some years ago. Another product I should have kept.

I contacted Steve via email. He was somewhat rude intially. I am sure he was not impressed by me either. We worked it out and got down to business.

1. He told me exactly what parts he would replace.
2. I'm not a meausrement guy so I accepted the usual audiophile descriptions .ARC measures impeccably anyway.
3. He gave me a price and estimated time of completion.
4. The product arrived on time as contracted for.
5. It was clear to a layman like me that any qualified technician could look at his work and copy it. The upgrade incuded Blackgate caps and Bybee filters.

However he was not paranoid about it. His reputation brought him much repeat business.

Perhaps TUC might want to check out his business model.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
AVM and foil tape? That's it? Well TUC isn't saying so we'll never know now will we.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although some of the claims and arguments of the owner of the The Upgrade Company LLC are ridiculous we should look at the content and forget the package.

As far as I can understand his mods change the sound of the equipment he modifies - some people on this forum confirmed it. Although his nuclear fusion project is only an anticipation of a long time dream - the moon He3 energy generator, http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/humanexplore/exploration/exlibrary/docs/isru/06energy.htm we can not exclude that David has some knowledge of nuclear science and access to irradiation sources.

A simple way of changing semiconductor properties is just subjecting them to some types of radioactive irradiation. This could change significantly the electrical properties of the analog stages of equipment - just like changing the type of ICs or transistors - but if done in a controlled way could be very difficult to measure. Remember that some people earn their life just studying semiconductor damage caused by irradiation and how to design semiconductors that are radiation hard. If you are curious on how this can be done see this report: http://hasylab.desy.de/instrumentation/detectors/publications/e35218/RadiationDamagetestonHPAD.pdf

The controversy would then be if his changes are really absolute sound improvements or just modifications.

Please consider that I have no reason to say that this is the modification done by UC LCC - but since he does not disclose it we are free to suggest some hypothesis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing