The Upgrade Company

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And probably have another ass whooping coming.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Unfortunately, this is too true.... but many designers will not implement something that they think will not affect the sound if they don't measure for it. As an example of how minute vibrations can affect a piece of gear, try putting something like a DAC upside down and listen to it. Of course, do not do this to a CD transport or turntable.
Gary, does this mean that in space a computer server with something like the Lynx card and a solid state drive is required for high fidelity? Ground control to Major Tom, errrr.... Gary!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, does this mean that in space a computer server with something like the Lynx card and a solid state drive is required for high fidelity? Ground control to Major Tom, errrr.... Gary!

You've really made the grade, Ron. The papers will want to know which DAC you're using :)

I guess in space, many of the components we have here on earth will be of higher fidelity instantly. Imagine loudspeakers with none of the effects of gravity on the cones. Inertia and momentum will still be a factor, though.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Yes sir, to go further, if you take it to court after getting an ass whipping you started you're two times a wuss.

Let's say I hit on someone's wife or girlfriend and her husband gets ticked off and instead of me backing off we had fisticuffs. Unless I was down and he continued to beat me or he used some sort of weapon, including ordinary objects like bottles or pool cues, any case I file against him would probably get thrown out instantly. It really would get thrown out instantly if say the extent of my injuries were a couple of cuts and bruises or a simple shiner. I'd also get some pretty disgusted looks from the cops and the fiscal too.

Conversely if I won the fight, his charges on me would likely stick.

Makes a good case for self policing IMO.

Sounds like a very sensible policy. North America would be an even better place to live if there weren't so many dumb greedy people bringing so many frivolous lawsuits (e.g., the famous lawsuit against McDonalds where someone burned themselves on the coffee). The judge should have thrown that case--and countless others like it--out of court and fined the plaintiffs for wasting the court's time.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Some old woman who claimed she didn't know that coffee was hot burned her money maker.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Thanks, Gary. Acutally, I knew the facts of the McDonalds case, and there are even more facts not listed in that link which, when considered by the jury, make the case against McDonalds even more. I'm just amused when people cite the McDonalds case as purported evidence of a frivilous lawsuit. That there are frivilous lawsuits is not disputed by anyone. Having stated that, there are plenty of remedies, both under federal and state law, for those who are ultimately found to be the victim of frivilous lawsuits. The fact of the matter is that the term *frivilous lawsuits* as it is usually bandied about in today's political rhethoric, is code used by politicians, usually republicans, who are out to protect big business.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
If there is no gravity, how does one know it is upside down?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks, Gary. Acutally, I knew the facts of the McDonalds case, and there are even more facts not listed in that link which, when considered by the jury, make the case against McDonalds even more. I'm just amused when people cite the McDonalds case as purported evidence of a frivilous lawsuit. That there are frivilous lawsuits is not disputed by anyone. Having stated that, there are plenty of remedies, both under federal and state law, for those who are ultimately found to be the victim of frivilous lawsuits. The fact of the matter is that the term *frivilous lawsuits* as it is usually bandied about in today's political rhethoric, is code used by politicians, usually republicans, who are out to protect big business.

Just because someone wins a lawsuit, does that prove the lawsuit wasn't frivilous? Coffee is brewed at 180 degrees. If I pour you a cup of coffee as soon as it is finished brewing, guess what the temperature is going to be. Ever drink coffee made from a French press? You heat water until it just starts to boil and that temperature is 212 degrees and then you pour the water into your French press. Think that coffee is hot? McDonalds nor anyone else who sells coffee ever intended for their customers to stick a cup of hot coffee between their legs. Accidents happen all of the time and some of them are preventable. Just because you make a poor decision and hurt yourself as a result doesn't mean it was someone else's fault that you made a poor decision. It's hard to protect against stupidity, but we do try in this country. That why we have warnings on hairdryers that say don't use in the shower or bathtub. And now we have warnings on coffee cups that say "Caution, contents are hot" because the selllers have to assume we are idiots and maybe we don't realize that we didn't order iced coffee. Bottom line is that it is a shame the woman burned herself, but it was her fault for making a very bad decision.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just because someone wins a lawsuit, does that prove the lawsuit wasn't frivilous? Coffee is brewed at 180 degrees. If I pour you a cup of coffee as soon as it is finished brewing, guess what the temperature is going to be. Ever drink coffee made from a French press? You heat water until it just starts to boil and that temperature is 212 degrees and then you pour the water into your French press. Think that coffee is hot? McDonalds nor anyone else who sells coffee ever intended for their customers to stick a cup of hot coffee between their legs. Accidents happen all of the time and some of them are preventable. Just because you make a poor decision and hurt yourself as a result doesn't mean it was someone else's fault that you made a poor decision. It's hard to protect against stupidity, but we do try in this country. That why we have warnings on hairdryers that say don't use in the shower or bathtub. And now we have warnings on coffee cups that say "Caution, contents are hot" because the selllers have to assume we are idiots and maybe we don't realize that we didn't order iced coffee. Bottom line is that it is a shame the woman burned herself, but it was her fault for making a very bad decision.

My first semester of law school the professor asked if a drunk driver runs a red light and is struck broadside by a dump drunk and killed.The question is when running the red light while drunk was he using the car in the manner intended by the manufacturer? The common sense answer was no. The legal answer was yes. It was reasonably foreseeable that the vehicle would collide with a another vehicle. Therefore the manufacture has an obligation to make the car crashworthy. The operators negligence notwithstanding.
McDonalds expects thier customers to carry thier food away and remove the top to add sugar and or cream. Once the top is removed is it likely the coffee will be spilled. Does McDonalds have an obligation to sell a cup of coffee that will not severely injure its custeomers, if spilled? I 've spilled a lot of coffee and none has even given me a first degree burn.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

My favorite notice was on the package of a Halloween Wonder Woman costume we once bought for my daughter: "This product will not enable the wearer to fly."

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My favorite notice was on the package of a Halloween Wonder Woman costume we once bought for my daughter: "This product will not enable the wearer to fly."

God bless America Kal. It is getting somewhat sad in our society

mep

Apr 20, 2010
the best decision she made was to hire a good attorney

Sure Steve. It's the American way. Anytime something bad happens to you, it can't be your fault. You find the person with the deepest pockets, find a shark in a suit who will take the case on a contingency basis, and go get 'em.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sure Steve. It's the American way. Anytime something bad happens to you, it can't be your fault. You find the person with the deepest pockets, find a shark in a suit who will take the case on a contingency basis, and go get 'em.

Mark

you are preaching to the choir here. As a practicing Ob/Gyn for 35 years I know all too well about dirt bag lawyers who do just that. Thank goodness I emerged unscathed with no suits after all of those years. Many of my colleagues however were not as fortunate

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

That IS funny. IIRC even wonder woman needed her invisible jet to fly! ;) ;) ;)

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Several hundred parts seems like an awful lot of parts to replace. In order to safely remove parts from a circuit board requires skill and the right equipment so you don't damage or lift traces from the circuit board. All of the techs who work for me that do soldering/desoldering have at least 3 different J-standard soldering certifications. I wouldn't want some hack with a $10 soldering iron from Radio Shack touching my gear. You have to understand what temperatures to use for different components and have the right tools and the right skills to perform this type of work.
An excellent point. In a world of flow-soldered surface mount devices, even the most skilled (as in do it 40 hours/week for years), J-STD certifed techs experience a statistically significant amount of PWB damage during hand rework. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's latent i.e. it's not discovered until CCA test. Either way, it ain't easy to fix.

Presumably, Mr. S is J-STD 001 certified.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Presumably, Mr. S is J-STD 001 certified.

I bet he doesn't have one person working for him that even knows what a J standard is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing