The Upgrade Company

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Anyone have any experience with this company? I found some positive reviews and no negatives ones. But I'm always wary of these kinds of companies as I have heard some bad things about some of them.

My specific interest is upgrading my Integra 80.2.

EDIT: Never mind. I just found some info on another site. Won't be doing business with this guy!!!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Anyone have any experience with this company? I found some positive reviews and no negatives ones. But I'm always wary of these kinds of companies as I have heard some bad things about some of them.

My specific interest is upgrading my Integra 80.2.

EDIT: Never mind. I just found some info on another site. Won't be doing business with this guy!!!

Hi Chuck,

I hope that this doesn't start into another battleground on this. But, I have much experience and most pleased with my results. I probably have more gear in the US modified by Dave Schulte and the Upgrade Company including my Onkyo 885 which just recently had the latest upgrades done.

You may wish to check this recent article in Positive Feedback on the results with some Marantz equipment:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/marantz.htm

Rich

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Hi Chuck,

I hope that this doesn't start into another battleground on this. But, I have much experience and most pleased with my results. I probably have more gear in the US modified by Dave Schulte and the Upgrade Company including my Onkyo 885 which just recently had the latest upgrades done.

You may wish to check this rcent article in Positive Feedback on the results with some Marantz equipment:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/marantz.htm

Rich

After my initial post and before my edit, I found some information on this company and will not be contacting them. You are apparently very fortunate that you have been pleased with his work. Many many, many, many, many, many have not been so pleased.

preale

Feb 27, 2011
Southern California
www.minotaurz.com
I had read an awful lot of material about TUC before sending my EMM pair to David Schulte and did not find much negative feedback from those who used his service. I reluctantly sent this very expensive digital front end in about two years ago, and I was surprised how, after about 200 hrs. breakin, the improvement over stock. I am lucky enough to have had a stock EMM pair on hand for comparison. Whatever he is doing seems to raise the performance level of even the highest high end gear.
Recently, I sent my Bel Canto PRE2 to David, and I am now breaking it in. Right out of the box, there was a noticeable increase in sound stage and clarity, so much so that I had to decrease my default volumes by 2 dB. The sound was not louder, only bigger and more three dimensional. There is really not much risk, since he provides a 5 year warranty and a buy-back clause if you are not pleased with the work. On other forums (like Audiocircle an Audiokarma) there has been a lot of negativity, mostly from people who have not had the opportunity to judge the work of TUC. The big sticking point is the lack of detailed information about what is actually modded inside. Unlike Modwright, David keeps details secret; and, that is what raises the suspicions of doubters about whether he is doing anything major. My experience, along with the ability to A-B stock vs. mod, has been nothing but positive.

Last edited:
OK here we go again. Internet claims like "Many many, many, many, many, many have not been so pleased." is a blatant lie. Where are these supposed clients? If they existed we'd have heard from them by now. They'd demand their money back or file a Better Business Bureau complaint. We have not had a single complaint and we're "A+" rated by the nationwide BBB algorythm. Where are all the testimonials from other modifiers and manufacturers? Do they earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year doing upgrades/mods? Not to my knowledge. Why can't they earn a decent nationwide independent rating from the Better Business Bureau? It is quite clear why, and it's the same people who come on these Internet forums and post lies about the great work The Upgrade Company provides audiophiles the world over.

The Upgrade Company is the premier high end audio video aftermarket modification firm. We have thousands of worldwide clients who are just thrilled. We do not have to resort to posting photo's of competitors rip-off mods (with no money back gaurantee) or take out anonymous names online to talk up our services like other modifiers routinely do. Our strong endorsements and State of the Art upgrades speak for themselves. It's sad that manufacturers and competitors are not even half way decent enough to earn a meager "B" BBB rating let alone our "A+" that is exclusive in the aftermarket upgrade modification industry.

The Upgrade Company can count among it's loyal clients veteran high end manufacturer/owners, major university professors and composers of music, lifelong diehard well healed audiophiles, and converts from other mod firms who claim to modify & improve the unit yet only cobble on tubed output stages while leaving the rest of the unit stock despite their claims and phony beefed up online posts. If any other modification firm could do what we do they'd have years and years worth of testimonials and emails from highly satisfied clients by now. At least a "B+" BBB rating. After all this time it is apparent that they have too many dissatisfied clients to earn a decent BBB rating. Instead competitors and manufacturers have to resort to outright lies to smear our good name. Our strong endorsements from satisfied clients speak for themselves.

Consumers are discovering the truth: High end products are not high end inside at all, they're all built "For Profit".

It's sad that manufacturers and competitors have chosen to resort to anonymous lying online year after year.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Before judging or recommending, I would love to hear from someone who had 2 units, one of which was upgraded and one that was kept as is, and can actually compare/ contrast the sonic signatures of the changes.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Wow... interesting first post...
Bruce, it's standard MO. On whatever board, folks who criticize TUC product are labeled as liars or cheats. See here for Gene DellaSalla's post on Mr. Schulte's actions when TUC product was criticized @ Audioholics, and Gene's response thereto.

If this discussion continues, I'd be happy to summarize the very lengthy AVS thread on this subject, which is quite revealing.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Consumers are discovering the truth: High end products are not high end inside at all, they're all built "For Profit".

It's sad that manufacturers and competitors have chosen to resort to anonymous lying online year after year.

There is no doubt that manufacturers are trying to hit a price point. People do have budgets.

But when folks start to swap out parts a few questions come to mind: is the sound better or just different? And is it in line with the sound the original manufacturer slaved in creating?

Caesar this was just covered today, see p_reale's post above. p_reale is a repeat client of ours and a UCLA professor and composer of music.

Paul's wife has the same $25,000 EMM LABS CDSD-SE+DAC6e-SE SACD/CD set that has been hailed for years by some to be the finest stock CD and SACD playback setup. Mrs. Reale is also a musician and composer, if memory serves correct. She has her high end audio setup, Professor Reale has his.

Back in January of 2009 Paul hired The Upgrade Company to upgrade his $25,000 EMM LABS CDSD-SE and DAC6e-SE combo.

Both before and after the burn-in period had been completed, Paul directly A-B compared the stock EMM set his wife owns and his identical EMM set we upgraded. We had no idea that Paul was going to A-B compare his upgraded set with the stock set. Paul later indicated that he had fully intended to take advantage of our 100% Buy Back Gaurantee if our upgrade was not everything we said it would be.

Paul's testimonial has been posted on our site since April of 2009

http://www.upgradecompany.com/upgrade-company-testimonials/emm-labs-testimoinals

RUR yes it is sad that some have gotton away thus far with posting slander and lies to damage whoemever they disagree with, or do not get advertising dollars from.

The courts should uphold laws in place that make it illegal to post lies, defamation and slander to the public.

Perhaps new laws need to be enacted to keep these dispicable individuals like Gene and others that sit in their homes and lash out with nonsense and outright lies in a public forum. Individuals up to no good should be ordered to pay damages, costs and fines. They shall see.

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
To quote my own post from AVS:

What value testimonials?
Testimonials and vivid anecdotes are one of the most popular and convincing forms of evidence presented for beliefs in the ...... pseudoscientific. Nevertheless, testimonials and anecdotes in such matters are of little value in establishing the probability of the claims they are put forth to support.
Anecdotes are unreliable for various reasons. Stories are prone to contamination by beliefs, later experiences, feedback, selective attention to details, and so on. Most stories get distorted in the telling and the retelling. Events get exaggerated. Time sequences get confused. Details get muddled. Memories are imperfect and selective; they are often filled in after the fact. People misinterpret their experiences. Experiences are conditioned by biases, memories, and beliefs, so people's perceptions might not be accurate. Most people aren't expecting to be deceived, so they may not be aware of deceptions that others might engage in. Some people make up stories. Some stories are delusions.....In short, anecdotes are inherently problematic.....
If such testimonials are scientifically worthless, why are they so popular and why are they so convincing? There are several reasons. Testimonials are often vivid and detailed, making them appear credible. They are often made by enthusiastic people who seem trustworthy and honest, and who lack any reason to deceive us. They are often made by people with some semblance of authority, such as those who hold a Ph.D. in psychology or physics. To some extent, testimonials are believable because people want to believe them. Often, one anticipates with hope some new treatment or instruction. One’s testimonial is given soon after the experience while one’s mood is still elevated from the desire for a positive outcome. The experience and the testimonial it elicits are given more significance than they deserve.

http://www.skepdic.com/testimon.html

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What do you want photo's for? Can't afford the upgrade or do you just want to steal details? Asking for photo's and details for free is the same as attempted theft.

Pay for an upgrade pal. .

Wow... a great second post!

As Ethan would say... I'd love to see before/after specs.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Wow... a great second post!
Again, standard MO. Fortunately, we have photos of some of his handiwork. At no point in that thread did Mr. S deny that these photos were of his mods, nor did he respond to my direct question in the link. He did, in fact, praise the virtues of the blue goop shown in the photos as improving audio quality by reducing vibration.

As Ethan would say... I'd love to see before/after specs.
Despite the fact that he claims (or claimed - I haven't looked recently) on his website to take such measurements, and a belated promise in the AVS thread to provide them, he never delivered, blaming this inability, at one point, on a broken printer.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Again, standard MO. Fortunately, we have photos of some of his handiwork. At no point in that thread did Mr. S deny that these photos were of his mods, nor did he respond to my direct question in the link. He did, in fact, praise the virtues of the blue goop shown in the photos as improving audio quality by reducing vibration.

Despite the fact that he claims (or claimed - I haven't looked recently) on his website to take such measurements, and a belated promise in the AVS thread to provide them, he never delivered, blaming this inability, at one point, on a broken printer.

Hi Ken,

I really do not want to go through this agony again. But, Nick, Dave (not Dave Schulte), I and several others did offer the opportunity for members of AVS and others to come to our homes to audition some products. No one took us up on our offers or thought it worth while.

Rich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing