Technics SP-10 MKII

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Dear mep: Only for your records: IMHO and through experiences Lyra's ( Skala, Titan, . ) , Dyna's ( XV-1s/1t. ) , Ortofon 2M Black or Nagaoka MP50/MP-500 are better match cartridges with your tonearm.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

So how bad is the match with my Benz Glider SL cartridge? I do appreciate your cartridge info.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So how bad is the match with my Benz Glider SL cartridge? I do appreciate your cartridge info.

I used a Benz LP when I owned the SME V and it sounded great. I am not sure of the veracity of the information, but at that time I was told that during development the Benz cartridges were tested in a SME V tonearm. A good friend of mine uses the Glider with a SME 309 with great success in an old Oracle. The effective mass of the SME V is 11g and the one of the 312 is about 12g, technically it seems you will have no problems.

So the question should be " how good is the match with my Benz Glider SL cartridge?" :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I used a Benz LP when I owned the SME V and it sounded great. I am not sure of the veracity of the information, but at that time I was told that during development the Benz cartridges were tested in a SME V tonearm. A good friend of mine uses the Glider with a SME 309 with great success in an old Oracle. The effective mass of the SME V is 11g and the one of the 312 is about 12g, technically it seems you will have no problems.

So the question should be " how good is the match with my Benz Glider SL cartridge?" :D

Well, with Raul, it's usually bad news unless you agree with him and you either have what he has or buy what he recommends which is why I phrased it in the negative. I'm trying to do a little 'rope-a-dope' in order to avoid another beating.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Dear microstrip: +++++ " I used a Benz LP when I owned the SME V and it sounded great. I am not sure of the veracity of the information, but at that time I was told that during development the Benz cartridges were tested in a SME V tonearm. " +++++

I had the same experience with my LP/SME IV but I never heard it with the long 312 that has different own resonances than the V/IV.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This story keeps getting worse and now I have to move on to plan C. My plinth arrived last night and it was a joke. Not a funny joke, but a cruel joke. The finish was horrible. The wood hadn't been properly sanded and sealed befored the finish was applied. The black looked like crap and there was scratches and swirl marks all over it. He had the plinth inside of a garbage bag and the bag was wrapped in bubble wrap. The wrap was on tight and the finish wasn't cured so there are lots of marks in the finish from the bubble wrap.

The woodworking skill level is ****-poor. The ledge that the table is supposed to sit on is not level so the table only makes contact on two opposite corners and it just rocks in place. The cutout for the armboard is a joke. The four screw holes in the armboard are not centered over the brass inserts in the arm well. The inserts weren't drilled straight (this guy must not have a drill press because all of his holes are crooked). One of the inserts isn't even seated flush with the top of the wood so there is no way the armboard can sit correctly.

The threaded rod that the feet screw onto on the bottom were all drilled crooked. The whole thing is a shabby mess. This clown had the nerve to send me an email on Sunday telling me how much I was going to love his plinth and that I was probably going to want to come back and buy other plinths from him in the future. After he reads the email I just sent him, he will know that won't be happening. I guess this is what you can expect for $700. I'm getting my money back.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get your money back. I've found out over the years that I should not have tried to cut corners on some things and just parted with the extra dough and be done with it.
Hopefully Plan "C" will work for you.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm pretty confident that I will get my money back because I payed through Pay Pal. In deference to everyone that is in the plinth business, this is not rocket science and it shouldn't be that expensive to make a nice one. Most people are just cutting up pieces of baltic birch plywood and glueing the layers together and then wrapping it up in hardwood. There is not that much money in materials in one of these. It just seems like you should be able to turn out a real nice one for $700. Does anyone think that most high-end commercial tables have a $700 plinth? I promise you they don't. Very few do.

I think that I'm going to buy a solid piece of hardwood 4" thick and have the plinth made from a single piece of wood. That should be plenty of audiophile over-kill.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The guy just emailed me and said he would refund my money as soon as he receives the plinth back. He said, "No additional questions will be asked." Really?? I laid out all of the mistakes and poor workmanship in a detailed email. What more could somone possibly ask?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Rich. I figured the hard part was going to be scoring an SP-10 MKII in good condition and getting the SME 312S which isn't sold in the U.S. I never thought the plinth was going to be the deal breaker.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Happily until now you have lost only your time and some energy. But most of the artisan products you find by mail order are just that - DIY designs poorly assembled.

If you look at the prices of the best plinths available for the SP10, they cost several thousands. If someone sells one for a few hundred, most probably it is someone who does not have to pay for the proper tooling and time needed for such a business. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, you can find an old retired craftsman that builds for fun, and does not pay for the tools, and sells his quality products at at fantastic price. But is really one in a thousand.

If you want to go DIY way you have plenty of information on the net, but the hardwood is an expensive and risky route - each type of hardwood has its proper sound and they are quite noticeable. A friend of mine built a gorgeous hardwood plinth for a Thorens TD124 and it resonated like a bell. Just for your information - the famous Forsell plinth is just a glued sandwich of common cheap materials - acrylic sheet, double MDF layer, Audioquest sorobothane footers , MDF again. It one of the most non resonant plinths I have ever taped.

BTW, may be you will ask why I am advising on the SP10 and own a Forsell. I owned several turntables, including a mint SP10 mk2 without plinth, before getting a very good deal on an used Forsell. At that time I decided I should keep only one turntable, and sold the SP10 to an audiophile, that I consider to be most stylish danish audio designer. But still dream about building this plinth!

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
micro-Do you really think a 4" thick piece of solid hardwood could resonate like a bell? Retired wood craftsmen have already paid for their tools. But really, how exotic of woodworking tools do you need to make a plinth? As for price, I used to think that SOTA tables were very beautiful. They were built out of solid oak and the four corners were all dove tail joints beautifully finished. I promise you they don't have $700 in that plinth. I don't think you really need 200 lbs of limestone for a plinth either. It does look nice. I think that Albert Porter's plinths look great and the workmanship is very professional. With a starting price of $2K, I do think the price is too dear. I would love to have one though.

All of the digital people that abandoned analog long ago would have a field day yukking about how someone would pay such a high price just for a plinth for a piece of antique playback gear. You realize that lots of old analog guys that gave up on it when digital came out probably didn't have $2K invested in their table/arm/cartridge combo.

And meanwhile back at the ranch, the guy that I bought the plinth from just emailed me and asked me to make sure I pack it real good. Like it matters. If I was him I would hang my head in shame and take it out in the backyard and take an axe to it. He will probably resell it to someone else and send them an email before it arrives and tell them how happy they are going to be with it when they receive it like he did with me.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been toying with the idea of mounting my EMT 948 into a plinth/cabinet. Hearing about your adventures, I don't know now.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
micro-Do you really think a 4" thick piece of solid hardwood could resonate like a bell?

It will depend on the wood type and plinth geometry. The only problem is that you only know after.
But if needed you can always damp it at a lather phase. BTW, as afar as I remember the SOTA sub-chassis and arm boards were not solid wood - I think they were MDF. .

I had this page in my archives - please note that I am not endorsing it.

http://www.resfreq.com/usefulinfoonwood.html

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've been toying with the idea of mounting my EMT 948 into a plinth/cabinet. Hearing about your adventures, I don't know now.

How did you guess I still have an old cabinetless EMT948 (unhappilly without motor electronics) hidden in a corner of my garage? :confused: As far as I know the original EMT948 cabinet had a special and unusual damping system to absorb the vibrations of the spring suspension.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I can tell you two guys not to buy it from. You need to find a real woodworker and not some jackleg with a sabre saw and hand drill.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It will depend on the wood type and plinth geometry. The only problem is that you only know after.
But if needed you can always damp it at a lather phase. BTW, as afar as I remember the SOTA sub-chassis and arm boards were not solid wood - I think they were MDF. .

I had this page in my archives - please note that I am not endorsing it.

http://www.resfreq.com/usefulinfoonwood.html

They might have been, but the parts you saw were all hardwood and beautifully made.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You have to look how people used it. I owned one of the first versions of SOTA (high compliance suspension turntable, and in some conditions the resonance of the suspension/belt system could make some wow effects. I remember that the Eminent Technology was problematic with some versions - the whole chassis would start wobbling. In these cases part of the solution was defeating the suspension. I remember some people called this effect of "dynamic wow" - although I never read about static wow. :confused:

Those springs were defective. Ultimately ,mine were replaced free pf charge.Mr. Pekins declined to use a suspension after he left SOTA. My point is there are lot a great women with small butts. Why try to make J-Lo into something she is not. I bought the SOTA because it solved the problems LINN had trying to set the suspension on top of the springs. I tried defeating the suspension. It just was not the same.

PS. The ET was a much better mach for an unsuspended tt like VPI. Over time the springs would be "stretched beyond thier recovery point. " This caused the chasis to"sag."

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If you are contemplating buying a plinth on Audiogon, you need to stay far away from Paul Dang, aka Environ75. Here is an email I submitted to Audiogon to tell them this guy is a fraud:

The seller advertised the plinth as being "massive" and weighing 50
lbs with a shipping weight expected to be around 60 lbs. The shipping
weight of this plinth according to UPS is 33.8 lbs will a billable
shipping weight of 35 lbs which means his "massive" plinth actually
weighed almost half of what he advertised.

The other issues were the plinth was very poorly built and very poorly
finished. The cutout for the turntable to sit in has a lip for the
table to mount to and it's not level on two sides causing the table to
rock back and forth because of an 1/8" gap. This makes this plinth
unusable. The seller had to know this because the ad in Audiogon has a SP-10 sitting in it so he
knew it rocked back and forth. In addition, the armboard holes weren't
drilled centered over the brass inserts, the brass inserts weren't
drilled straight, and one of them wasn't flush with the wood which
means the armboard won't sit level.

The wood was not sanded and sealed prior to applying the poor finish
so all seams were visible and the finish looks very poor. The four
feet on the bottom were drilled crooked. I don't think this guy owns
a drill press and all holes were drilled with a hand drill which would
explain why all of the holes are crooked. The finish hadn't cured
before he put the bubble wrap around the plinth so the bubbles from
the bubble wrap left indentations all over the finish in addition to all of the scratches and swirl marks.

I contacted the seller the following day after receiving the plinth
and informed him of all the defects and that I was returning it for a
full refund of my money. The seller told me that he would refund my
money after the plinth came back to him and he "inspected" it. The
plinth arrived back to him on 7 Apr 2011. The seller said he was out
of town until late on 8 Apr 2011 and that he would "inspect" it on 9 Apr 2011 and then refund my
money. He did not refund my money and I had to file a dispute with Pay Pal
on 9 Apr 2011.

So not only is this guy a fraud with regards to what he advertises vs.
what he actually sells, he doesn't want to refund money back to an unhappy
customer and now I have to fight for it.

Pay Pal refunded my money today after the seller made me wait 8 days after I filed the Pay Pal claim. He knew he didn't have a leg to stand on, but he drug it out for 8 days. Pay Pal gives 10 days to respond so I guess I'm supposed to feel grateful that I only had to wait 8 days.

A word to the wise. If you buy something on Audiogon and don't pay through Pay Pal, you are probably screwed with regards to getting your money back if the seller sends you a defective product. Audiogon won't give you your money back that's for sure. Pay Pal is still a hassle, but at least you probably will get your money back after waiting for 10 days.

Stay far away from Paul Dang.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing