Technics SP-10 MKII

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Btw, mep: Dertonarm and I discuss this same subject and the differences comes because he speaks about theory due that he never tested in his system the naked TT version so he don't know what this experience " means ". In the other side I made in deep tests/research on the naked TT version against plinthed ones. I can't understand how you can agree with something you have no any single idea about!!!!, this is out of mi mind.

I’m going to chalk up this comment to not surviving the translation to English very well. I *think* you meant to say how can I agree with something when I haven’t tried the alternative naked version and the very thought of this is outside of your belief system.

Please read the Halcro experiences between the naked TT version against the Raven TT. I linked that post that speaks about facts and not only theory or words with no real foundation.

I read it Raul. I’m not sure about “facts” though. It’s just one man’s opinions about how his nude table was a world-beater. Here’s a fact for you Raul: I don’t like the fact that when you have a naked turntable lounging around your system, that means you have an arm mounted to some type of pod that is not attached to the uninhibited turntable and the stability of the critical geometry is depending on the arm pod not being moved the slightest bit after it has be oh-so-carefully placed or the table being bumped. I can see movement taking place over time just by cueing up the arm and returning it to its rest unless the pod is massive and/or is somehow weighted down to the structure it’s sitting on (would that make the other structure a plinth then?).

Btw, al over the world: Asia ( Japan. Malasya, Singapur,.. ), Australia, New zeland, Europe ( England, germany, Spain, .. ), America ( Usa, Canada, Mexico,... ) more and more persons are starting with the naked TT version and more and more persons with plinthed ones are changing to the naked version and you know what?: till today no single plinthed one that goes naked returned to plinthed.
These facts IMHO speaks more than thousands words from you, M.Lavigne, me or any one else on the success of the naked TT fashion: don't you think/agree?

Well, I admit that I didn’t know there was a naked turntable revolution going on around the world. I’m aware a few people have tried it and like their table better sans plinth. I fail to see how that makes it a “fact” that nude turntables sound better than those that are mounted in a good plinth. I’m sure they sound different though.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Dear Mike Lavigne: Good to hear that from you. So, the only experience that you decided not to have is the SP-10 naked version. I respect that.

Btw, I have almost the same experiences you posted and even that I'm not confused on cause and effect either this DD TT naked project is a learning one that shows that many of what we already learned through experiences as the ones you posted has land to improve and this fact alone is what could help for we could grow-up in the TT whole subject.

That you decided not to try is fine with me and you have good reason for not do it. In my case as in several other persons we have good reasons too for live that naked TT experiences. That's all, I came here only to share those naked TT experiences.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Raul,

to be clear; it's not that i'm not curious about a 'naked' SP-10. i no longer have one to try. i sold my Mk2 when i reciieved my Dobbins MK3, and then traded in my Mk3 to Dobbins for 'The Beat'.

i know Steve Dobbins has tried SP-10's 'naked' (without shell) as well as free standing, and with many dozens of different plinths. i know he 'prefers' substaintial plinths. i'll differ to his experience on the subject but also respect your perspective too.

i could easily understand that removing the 70's Technics shell from an SP-10 would improve the performance over a free standing stock SP-10. my Dobbins SP-10 Mk3 had the shell removed before installation into the Dobbins plinth because Steve found that the shell restricted ultimate performance.

but; saying that a 'naked' SP-10 performs better than an SP-10 in a well engineered plinth would understandably bring skepticism from most people. but healthy skepticism about that approach does not mean you are not correct; only that people will need to try it for themselves before they will agree.

your problem is that you are going the opposite direction from the tt development that i know about. the direction is absolutely that best performance is related to ridgidity and lack of resonance between the plinth and arm board.

best regards,

Mike

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Dear mep: It is not only one person, you have a misunderstood about. On three different threads you can read from other persons and from those posts I know where the people lives and I can tell you again " comes over the world ".

Anyway, till you try it your words are only speculations with no true and real foundation. Why go on with?

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Dear mep: It is not only one person, you have a misunderstood about. On three different threads you can read from other persons and from those posts I know where the people lives and I can tell you again " comes over the world ".

Anyway, till you try it your words are only speculations with no true and real foundation. Why go on with?

Raul.

Raul-You didn't understand what I wrote. I said I understand that it is more than one person that thinks nude tables sound better than those in a plinth. I read lots of your links. It just doesn't prove anything if you have a few people around the world that like the sound of their table better without a plinth. You never answered my question about how are you going to maintain your geometry correctly. I saw all kinds of goofy looking arrangements on the links you provided. One guy had the arm mounted to a big piece of aluminum with dumbbell weights stacked on top of the aluminum plate to keep it from flipping/moving around. I think at some point if you are coupling a table and arm to a base that is common to both, you have created a different type of plinth.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
Raul,

to be clear; it's not that i'm not curious about a 'naked' SP-10. i no longer have one to try. i sold my Mk2 when i reciieved my Dobbins MK3, and then traded in my Mk3 to Dobbins for 'The Beat'.

i know Steve Dobbins has tried SP-10's 'naked' (without shell) as well as free standing, and with many dozens of different plinths. i know he 'prefers' substaintial plinths. i'll differ to his experience on the subject but also respect your perspective too.

i could easily understand that removing the 70's Technics shell from an SP-10 would improve the performance over a free standing stock SP-10. my Dobbins SP-10 Mk3 had the shell removed before installation into the Dobbins plinth because Steve found that the shell restricted ultimate performance.

but; saying that a 'naked' SP-10 performs better than an SP-10 in a well engineered plinth would understandably bring skepticism from most people. but healthy skepticism about that approach does not mean you are not correct; only that people will need to try it for themselves before they will agree.

your problem is that you are going the opposite direction from the tt development that i know about. the direction is absolutely that best performance is related to ridgidity and lack of resonance between the plinth and arm board.

best regards,

Mike

Dear Mike Lavigne: I see. Agree with you: " people will need to try it for themselves before they will agree. ". This is eactly what I'm said through my posts here and I'm not waiting that after they test it they agree, what I'm waiting is that shares their experiences and that's all.

++++ " your problem is that you are going the opposite direction from the tt development that i know about " +++, well, IMHO is not my problem but an additional/alternative " road to arrive there " .

++++ " the direction is absolutely that best performance is related to ridgidity and lack of resonance between the plinth and arm board. " ++++

well, again that's only one direction. The plinth is a focus of internal resonances ( all plinths has its own resonances and its own way to damp or dissipate the ones coming from the TT and from the platform where TT is mounted. ), these plinth resonances that comes and are generated from every where affect the cartridge signal even very tiny resonances that are imperceptible for us are capted/captured by the very high cartridge sensitivity that works as a microphone.

Till today I don't know and I never read a scientific studies/research and tests that proved that exist a plinth that is " dead silence " and that dissipate and don't keep any resonances coming from the TT it self and external by own plinth feedback or from the TT platform, the same for the arm board that one way or the other is " connected " to the TT plinth.

In this environment ( how a TT is surrounded whit ) IMHO the best way to go is to isolate 100% the tonearm from that TT plinth. and I mean 100% not 99.9999%. Now, the second step and several next steps is on the stand alone arm board that could give us certain in that will work just right with no related problems and no related geometry or rigidity subjects.

All the persons involved in this naked project are right now trying to " fine tunning " all those " steps " need it to everything works first rate. What all of them are experiences on quality performance level is way better that what they heard on plinthed TT alternative and this are experiences even that there are somethings that are not " perfect " on the naked project.

It is true that a plinth on TT ( for some designs is a must to have : BD designs. ) is a way to diminish those resonances we are talking about and this can happen only if we attain a stellar plinth design. Going naked/no-plinth with DD TT design is a different way to go where we have to take focus only in the kind of footers where the TT seats, these footers will take the task to dissipate very fast the TT own generated resonances and impede any feedback of those resonances or any other non related TT resonances.

As I posted always exist trade-offs and certainly plinthed or not there are trade-offs: which ones are the best for you? this is up to you depending which ones are your quality performance priorities.

As I posted too I'm not coming here for any one could agree with me: I'm here only to share my experiences and other people experiences on the whole subject. This is not a " class/lesson " about TT/tonearm design but only an alternnatives taked by some us audio amateurs that love MUSIC.

raul.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
Dear mep: Yes, the TT platfform works in someway as a plinth but this is not what I'm refering to and you knpwed!.

The geometry of the tonearm is already solve almost at 100%. Do you think that all these people that like the new quality performance level they attain on this project could be heard what they heard if that tonearm subject was not " almost " solved?.

I can't do your job and with all respect please go to those Agon threads and read on the whole subject where you can find the answers for your questions.

Anyway, why do you want to know on something you just don't care or don't believe?, I think is more easy to enjoy what you have and what you believe. Don't worry about the naked project that certainly is not for you as is not for everyone but just for a selected ones.

Raul.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why do I always feel like I have just been slashed with a butterfly knife and I'm trying to find all of the places I'm bleeding from after reading one of Raul's retorts? I guess it's like the smiley face thing; throw in lots of smiley faces and you can say lots more unkind things to people. In Raul's case, you just end each post with "regards and enjoy the music" as the other person is trying to staunch the bleeding. I gotta go now as I'm slashed all over and bleeding like a stuck hog.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Why do I always feel like I have just been slashed with a butterfly knife and I'm trying to find all of the places I'm bleeding from after reading one of Raul's retorts? I guess it's like the smiley face thing; throw in lots of smiley faces and you can say lots more unkind things to people. In Raul's case, you just end each post with "regards and enjoy the music" as the other person is trying to staunch the bleeding. I gotta go now as I'm slashed all over and bleeding like a stuck hog.

don't take Raul too seriously.......stick by your guns and trust your ears. the laws of physics might be different in the 'Raul Zone'.:D

i'm just say'n.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyway, why do you want to know on something you just don't care or don't believe?, I think is more easy to enjoy what you have and what you believe. Don't worry about the naked project that certainly is not for you as is not for everyone but just for a selected ones.
Raul.

Being also a non native english writer, I easily understand that sometimes the expression in english can become very violent just because of the way it is written. I think that the quoted sentences are just an example of it - surely the author would not want to refer to "selected ones", just to people who want to try it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Microstrip-I know what Raul means when he says "selected ones." He is just saying that trying the nude table gig is not for everyone and I'm one of the someones that is not among the selected ones.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Kind of reminded me when someone said the SOTA sounded better with its' suspension defeated. That's like saying J-Lo looks better with a small butt.

I crack myself up.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Kind of reminded me when someone said the SOTA sounded better with its' suspension defeated. That's like saying J-Lo looks better with a small butt.

I crack myself up.

:D

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
Dear Mike Lavigne: +++++ " the laws of physics might be different in the 'Raul Zone' " +++++

first there is no " Raul Zone " and second the law of physics are " the laws of physics " for every one, no exception. Things IMHO are very simple but at the same time complex because in audio and especially on analog we don't have precise explanations why the " laws of physics " accomplish but what we heard is something different, something different that has a scientific explanation but no one till today take it the time to make a research on so many audio analog subjects.

We have a lot of audio/analog theories that we all can't confirm by what we are hearing.

I can't be against laws of physics and I did/do not against theories with good foundations either but I almost always don't take ( on audio ) anything by " the true and nothing but the true " ( it does not matters whom said it or comes from. ) before I test it in my own system, comparison's tests is IMHO the way to go in any audio subject we have interest .
Btw, Mike think: how much energy could generate a massive TT platter against a more light TT platter? do you know what to do with all that " massive " energy generated for the former TT against the ligthly one and where goes that energy and its feedback?

As you said it: our ears are on command, I would like to add that the ears can't tell the whoile historty but important and critical subject to interpret what your ears are hearing are your own whole knowledge/skill level on those differnt audio subjects.

Anyway, only my thoughts.

Btw, yes Microstrip that was what I try to say: thank you.

Raul.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Kind of reminded me when someone said the SOTA sounded better with its' suspension defeated.

You have to look how people used it. I owned one of the first versions of SOTA (high compliance suspension turntable, and in some conditions the resonance of the suspension/belt system could make some wow effects. I remember that the Eminent Technology was problematic with some versions - the whole chassis would start wobbling. In these cases part of the solution was defeating the suspension. I remember some people called this effect of "dynamic wow" - although I never read about static wow. :confused:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Microstrip-Once upon a time I owned a brand new SOTA Star Sapphire table with a brand new ET-2 arm. That is not a combo made in heaven due to the SOTA suspension. Still sounded damn good though. The ET-2 was really designed for a table like the VPI TNT-that is a match made in heaven. The ET-2 is a pain in the ass to set up and to keep it set up though. I'm hoping that with the SP-10 MKII/SME 312S combo I won't look back.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The ET-2 is a pain in the ass to set up and to keep it set up though. I'm hoping that with the SP-10 MKII/SME 312S combo I won't look back.

The ET2 is not an easy arm to set up, but once you have it done correctly it is not easy to beat. The SME has a different sound - less delicate, but fuller. I have no experience with the 312S, only with the SME 309 and SME V. Anyway, the ET2 will sound great in the SP10 and only needs an extra hole for the fixing screw ... :D

After I got the Forsell I sold my collection of turntables and tonearms, excepting the ET2 and a Sumiko MDC800 "The Arm" - I could not part with them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The ET2 is not an easy arm to set up, but once you have it done correctly it is not easy to beat. The SME has a different sound - less delicate, but fuller. I have no experience with the 312S, only with the SME 309 and SME V. Anyway, the ET2 will sound great in the SP10 and only needs an extra hole for the fixing screw ... :D

After I got the Forsell I sold my collection of turntables and tonearms, excepting the ET2 and a Sumiko MDC800 "The Arm" - I could not part with them.

I agree the ET-2 is not easy to beat. I have tried with the most recent example being the FR-64s. The new plinth I just bought for my SP-10 MKII comes with two blank armboards, but I don't think the armboards will allow setup of the ET-2 due to their location. Albert Porter is the guy who told me to buy the SME 312S and he thinks the combo of the SP-10/SME 312s is a world-beater. We shall see.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree the ET-2 is not easy to beat. I have tried with the most recent example being the FR-64s. The new plinth I just bought for my SP-10 MKII comes with two blank armboards, but I don't think the armboards will allow setup of the ET-2 due to their location. Albert Porter is the guy who told me to buy the SME 312S and he thinks the combo of the SP-10/SME 312s is a world-beater. We shall see.

Although hifi advise is a private and subjective affair, I valuate Albert Porter advice highly, as we share many preferences in sound type. Also, following and discussing his system at audiogon for long years was a very interesting and enlightening experience.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
Dear mep: +++++ " the combo of the SP-10/SME 312s is a world-beater. " +++++

against what or which ones?, speaks on that way with out a precise comparisons IMHO means almost nothing you can argue about.

IMHO at analog level you need to specify the source/phono cartridge for things could have some value. I know very well that tonearm that's a good one but nothing " to die for ", at least not with Mr. Porter's cartridges that I know too very well ( Supreme/Coralstone /Shure. ).

A tonearm with out cartridge IMHO is only that " a tonearm " where we can't say if it is good or not till we match it with matched phono cartridges. I hope your cartridge be a good match with the SME.

Btw, IMHO with the Technics you can use almost any tonearm. Think: what impede that or where are the trade offs choosing any tonearm for " that TT " ? when there is no phono cartridge there.

IMHO the closer relationship between two analog audio items is: tonearm and the phono cartridge, exist a very close dependence on that relationsship for attain not only a good quality performance but to achieve the best that cartridge has for shows you.

As always only an opinion.

raul.

Raul.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Dear mep: +++++ " the combo of the SP-10/SME 312s is a world-beater. " +++++against what or which ones?, speaks on that way with out a precise comparisons IMHO means almost nothing you can argue about.

Raul-it’s just an expression, and I don’t want to give you any ammunition in order to argue with me so I certainly won’t list any arm/table combos. We will just leave it with “almost nothing you can argue about.” That’s a good thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing