Technics SP-10 MKII

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Mine is mounted on layered birch ply plinth about 30kg in all with FR64x and either AT33PTG/II or AT33EV and they work really well. In fact surprisingly well.
What tonearm do you use?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Not familiar with your tonearm though the comments suggest a medium sort of compliance. If so look at the Hana range, I along with a couple of others I know are very happy with their ML model on an SP10 mk2. May be not the last word in resolution as compared to the very top carts but very good and a lot less expensive. It's full bodied, good tonally and allows the music to flow in a natural way assuming a good setup/synergy with the rest of the system.

Reactions: findog

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I have an SP10 Mk.3 that's mounted in a constrained layer plinth, made from panzerholtz, aluminum, and hardwood. The tonearm that I'm using is a Reed 3P.... All to say, similar but not the same as what you have going.

I agree with Erik that one of his Sensitive Sound cartridges might be a very good match - he was kind enough to let me try one in my system. The one that I auditioned was very musical. Another option that you might want to check into is ZYX. I've had really good experiences from many different price points in their line of cartridges.

Reactions: findog

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Reactions: defride

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I have never heard of Fidelity Research or Sensitive Sound before. Thanks for the suggestions. I am also thinking of sending my table to Bill at Music Technology to get the caps and such replaced.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Another question. I have a VPI Prime Signature and the SP-10 mkii. Looking to maybe sell one. With the same cart, I don't notice much of a difference. Does anyone have any thoughts about comparisons between these two tables beyond belt vs. dd?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing