Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics SP-10 MKII

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor

Technics SP-10 MKII

I just bought an SP-10 MKII on Audiogon that looks to be in very nice condition and is promised to have no isues with either the power supply or table. It does come with the orignal box and all the original packing material which is nice.

It does not come with a plinth and I'm wondering if there are any fellow SP-10 MKII owners here and if so, what you are using for plinths. I would also like to know what tonearms people are using.

And MikeL, if you are reading this, since you used to own a VPI TNT table close to the one I own, what are your thoughts about the SP-10 MKII compared to the sound of the VPI?

Mark

WBF Technical Expert (Pro Audio Production)/Member Sponsor Bruce B's Avatar
    Doesn't Albert P. build plinths for these things? I know Steve Dobbins did, but don't know if he does it anymore since he has his own TT line.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Funny, I just posted a picture of Albert SP10 mk3 in another thread 20 minutes ago ...

See this page: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10page.html

You can find manuals and service manuals for the SP10 mk2 at

http://www.vinylengine.com/library.shtml

With the proper plinth it is a fantastic turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I just bought an SP-10 MKII on Audiogon that looks to be in very nice condition and is promised to have no isues with either the power supply or table. It does come with the orignal box and all the original packing material which is nice.

It does not come with a plinth and I'm wondering if there are any fellow SP-10 MKII owners here and if so, what you are using for plinths. I would also like to know what tonearms people are using.

And MikeL, if you are reading this, since you used to own a VPI TNT table close to the one I own, what are your thoughts about the SP-10 MKII compared to the sound of the VPI?

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I do not have a Technics Sp-10 however, I have heard turntables prepared by Jonathan Weiss of OMA in his slate plinths. They perform extaordinarily well. Here is a link to his work and some photos:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Prod...urntables.html

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Bruce-Albert does indeed build plinths for the SP-10. Their cost is just a little more dear than I want to pay right now. I have seen some other people that build plinths for the Technics that look pretty good for around $650-$700.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post

Mark
    the SP-10 Mk2, depending on the condition, the arm mounted, the plinth it's installed in, and set-up, is capable of sounding dramatically better than the VPI TNT mK2 i owned in the 90's. a more current TNT HRX would be much closer to the SP-10 Mk2 but the SP-10 Mk2 i had was quite a bit better than any HRX i've heard. of course, it had been gone thru and tweaked (both motor and power supply) by Steve Dobbins, was installed in one of his plinths, and had a Schroeder Reference SQ arm. it was a very high end tt.

fully optimized, the SP-10 Mk2 has a wonderful solidity in the speed, great bass dynamics and articulation, and is very alive sounding. it also can have a very low noise floor. but.......the ultimate performance does require a quality plinth and arm that can take advantage of the quality of the motor and basic mechanicals.

there is no way to over state the value of the SP-10 <-> plinth <-> arm board <-> arm interface. the motor needs gounding and mass and the arm needs to be solid relative to the motor. it does not need to be pretty and there is more than one way to skin the cat assuming all those issues are handled.

i'm only really familiar with Dobbins and to a lesser degree Albert's work, so it's hard to recommend any others. i'd guess that OMA is pretty darn good too.....although i prefer a constrained layer plinth design to a one-piece plinth of any natural material since a layered design can be 'engineered' to sound a certain way consistently (read neutral and lively) and any one piece natural design will have some sort of 'sound'.

good luck with your project and congrats on getting a great tt.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A boxed SP10 MK2 at Audiogon? You were really lucky!

If you have access to a good technician I would recommend changing all the electrolytic capacitors of the motor PCB and power supply. They must be over two decades old, and if they become faulty they can damage PCBs or ICs that are no more available. The capacitors are very inexpensive, cost will be mainly labor - I was charged about usd 150 for it in my SP10. After you have them exchanged the turntable should be prepared for operating during the next two decades!

Thanks microstrip. Having the original box and packing material was a definite plus for me and usually means that someone cared enough to save that stuff and hopefully took care of it. I should be able to change the caps out myself. The power supply would be real easy. I'm less certain on what is involved with opening the table and getting to where the caps are there that need to be replaced. Anyone know what the values are that I need and what's involved with opening up the bottom of the table?

Here are a couple of pics of the plinth that I'm having built right now. Mine will be done in cherry wood as well.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mep,
    It is all in the service manual - with parts lists and exploded views. Send me your email by pm and I will email it to you.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast